Greatest Races in History

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
stupot94

Re: Greatest Races in History

Post by stupot94 »

Phoenix wrote:
East Londoner wrote:
stupot94 wrote:2008 Monaco GP

How can that be considered great? Hamilton lucked into that win and Raikkonen started his vendetta against Force India at that race :(

Because it was chaotic? Because driving at a soaking Monaco street circuit made Nick Heidfeld be slighly less slighty bored?

Yeah. It was little things that made it great. The rain. Raikkonen. Alonso being rejectful. Sutil showing his skills.

One of the best races I ever saw (On TV)
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Phoenix wrote:
East Londoner wrote:

How can that be considered great? Hamilton lucked into that win and Raikkonen started his vendetta against Force India at that race :(

Because it was chaotic? Because driving at a soaking Monaco street circuit made Nick Heidfeld be slighly less slighty bored?

Wasn't Nick Heidfeld trundling at the back of the field the entire race whilst Kubica had a chance of winning the race?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Wasn't Nick Heidfeld trundling at the back of the field the entire race whilst Kubica had a chance of winning the race?

I know Nick was hit by Button at the start. and Kubica overtook Massa for the lead after Massa made a mistake at St DeVote
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

redbulljack14 wrote:

That's not relevant, he was having fun anyway.
MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx

Post by MyHamsterRacedAnOnyx »

We always seem to get one race a year thats the oddball one-when strange things happen,there's pile-ups galore and weird and wonderful things turn up-like Spa 98 or Europe 99. Of course back in the late 80s and early 90s most races were like that-watching them now on video even the 'rather processional' ones are as good as today's exciting ones.At least if no-one did much overtaking,there was a constant stream of retirements to keep everyone moving.
Some people are looking for the meaning of life.Me,I'll be satisfied with a cute girl who can tell her Andrea Moda from her AGS...
mario

Post by mario »

stupot94 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:Wasn't Nick Heidfeld trundling at the back of the field the entire race whilst Kubica had a chance of winning the race?

I know Nick was hit by Button at the start. and Kubica overtook Massa for the lead after Massa made a mistake at St DeVote

It seems that Heidfeld was being rammed by more than one driver that race - he was also rammed in the sidepod by Alonso when Alonso tried to force his way through at the hairpin in the opening stages, only to badly misjudge the move and colliding with Heidfeld. It meant that Heidfeld's car was badly damaged in the process, and I think he also lost time due to being spun by Alonso (and having to let other cars past in order to turn around), so that would explain why Heidfeld's pace was so poor in that race.

As for Kubica, he did have a chance of winning in the early stages, but he did admit that part of the reason why he couldn't get past Massa, despite having a much lighter car, was because he was beginning to struggle with his tyres as the track dried up - so, even if he had passed Massa, there is no guarantee that he could have closed the gap to Hamilton down.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"