2011 Italian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
F1000X

Re: 2011 Italian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by F1000X »

mario wrote: Meanwhile, on another note, it seems that Derek Daly has been chosen as the driver steward for this weekend.

This man has no understanding of what hard-but-clean racing looks like. Expect unnecessary penalties to be handed out. Side note: TERRIBLE sportscaster; irritating, spouts nonsense, clearly biased. No offense to any Irishmen on the board, love Paul DiResta, can't stand him.

Warren Hughes wrote:Even if Mercedes are quick enough to fight for the podium, or even victory, I'm sure they'll find a way to screw things up somehow.

Yes they will, and if they don't Mclaren will beat them anyway.

As for the DRS zones... The straight down into Ascari seems like quite a dangerous place for a DRS zone - The track is very narrow at that point and very undulating, and it leads into a quick corner. Besides, as was mentioned above, I'm not sure DRS will make overtaking any easier into there. I'm amazed the back straight into Parabolica isn't a DRS zone. Even if you were only going to have one zone, that's the straight I'd have chosen.

I don't think the straight into Ascari will cause nearly as many problems as you'd think, and I don't think the FIA believes there will be any overtaking there either. It WILL however allow pursuing drivers to close up on their opponents faster and set them up for an overtake down the front straight. As for the straight into Parabolica, I agree; probably not a bad idea. That said, I don't know how much overtaking has happened there in recent years, and I imagine being on the wrong line going into that corner (trying to pass outside and into the marbles) could spell disaster for the overtaking car.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

James1978 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Doesn't matter. As Lotus will suffer ANOTHER double dnf thanks to Hydraulics/bits falling off/witchcraft.

Monza's never a high attrition race, they'll probably be the only retirements.

On the subject of Lotus, since Senna will probably have the seat for the rest of the season (provided he isn't replaced by RRRMMMNNNN GGGRRRRSSSSJJJJNNNN), he must at least unrejectify himself to have any credibility.

Actually I think that's going to be pretty darn difficult for him as usually the top 4 or 5 places at least will be Red Bulls/McLarens/Ferraris. Then maybe hope the Mercedes hit trouble too. I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if Senna unrejectifies himself.

I'd agree here too - Monza hasn't been the most successful hunting ground for Renault in recent years in terms of points, and even though they were more competitive in Spa thanks to a series of updates that they've bolted onto the car, you'd still expect Mercedes to remain ahead of them in low downforce configuration, as well as Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren.
Admittedly, whilst attrition is not normally especially high, there is always the chance of a major first corner pile up, given how drivers will inevitably run into each other into the first chicane, so perhaps he might be fortunate enough to end up in a high enough finishing position - but, to be honest, I wouldn't expect the track layout to favour Renault.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Fastest FP1 time: Hamilton 1:23.865

107% time: 1:29.736

missed by; Chandhok (+0.432), Ricciardo (+0.873), Liuzzi (+0.883), Glock (+1.316), D'Ambrosio (+2.163)
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

As dominating as that sounds, Hamilton was a full second quicker than Button in 2nd, who in turn was half a second quicker than Vettel in 3rd. So don't read too much into it.

Happy for F.India though. Sutil ended the session 5th. 6th to 10th were seperated by less than a tenth!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Ooh, Buemi's had a big one in FP2...
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It's like quiz time on BBC Five live coverage!

"When was the last time both Redbull's finished outside the points?"
They call Australia 2009, but Vettel DNF!

"Who was the last Italian to have a full season in Ferrari?"
Maurice Hamilton says Alboreto.

"Who has done the most laps without scoring a point?"
Croft: Well no idea on that one.
Me: BADOER, IT's BADOER!!!!!!!!!!!
Message me on Discord.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shadaza wrote:"When was the last time both Redbull's finished outside the points?"
They call Australia 2009, but Vettel DNF!

"Who was the last Italian to have a full season in Ferrari?"
Maurice Hamilton says Alboreto.

1. Vettel was classified 13th in Australia with three wheels on his wagon. If you don't count that then it's the 2008 Chinese GP
2. It is Alboreto in 1988
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

F1000X wrote:No offense to any Irishmen on the board, love Paul DiResta, can't stand him.

Words fail me.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

And those well known welsh drivers Cymwy Cobauashu and Nyraen Carthyceian.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

shinji wrote:
F1000X wrote:No offense to any Irishmen on the board, love Paul DiResta, can't stand him.

Words fail me.

Oh dear! :lol: :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:
shinji wrote:

Words fail me.

Oh dear! :lol: :lol:

He's just pissed off an American has only been world champion once, while fiece rivals and neighbours Canada have two, with Jacques Villeneuve and Phil Hill! :P
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

kostas22 wrote:He's just pissed off an American has only been world champion once, while fiece rivals and neighbours Canada have two, with Jacques Villeneuve and Phil Hill! :P

That's right :lol:

Now what the heck happened to Nico Rosberg? Even Schumacher managed to beat the stuffings out of him in FP2... what with Schuey third in the charts...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Now what the heck happened to Nico Rosberg? Even Schumacher managed to beat the stuffings out of him in FP2... what with Schuey third in the charts...

I wish I knew. I have just made a huge mistake putting him as my prediction to win the race :?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

kostas22 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:Now what the heck happened to Nico Rosberg? Even Schumacher managed to beat the stuffings out of him in FP2... what with Schuey third in the charts...

I wish I knew. I have just made a huge mistake putting him as my prediction to win the race :?

They had a problem with the KERS that required a replacement, but that shouldn't explain why he's slower than Liuzzi on the timecharts.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
kostas22 wrote:He's just pissed off an American has only been world champion once, while fiece rivals and neighbours Canada have two, with Jacques Villeneuve and Phil Hill! :P

That's right :lol:

Di Resta isn't Irish. I get it. An honest mistake.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Rosberg skipped low-fuel runs because of his problems.
mario

Post by mario »

LionZoo wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

They had a problem with the KERS that required a replacement, but that shouldn't explain why he's slower than Liuzzi on the timecharts.

That said, Rosberg has made amends for that today by topping the time sheets, with Schumacher backing up his strong form by setting the 3rd best time (and Ferrari might be worried that Alonso's best time on soft tyres still can't beat the time set by Schumacher, despite the fact that Schumacher is not entirely happy with his set up).

Also, from Kravitz, it seems that Webber is in a slightly different position to everybody else as he is the only driver from the leading three teams not to use a fresh engine for this race - it might put him at a very slight disadvantage here.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Not using a fresh engine at the toughest circuit for engines? Bloody hell that's brave
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Maldonado has done it again...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:Maldonado has done it again...

I honestly cannot remember seeing anyone ever binning it towards the inside of the Parabolica before :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Maldonado is very crash prone ain't he? be lucky to get back out in that state
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Toro Rossos seem really weak around Monza. Buemi finished 17th in Q1, Alguersuari 18th and out...

sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Toro Rosso's not fast in qualifying, but algersuari has started there three times and came in the points, so he won't be too worried. Also brilliant by daniel ricciardo to out-qualify Liuzzi :lol:

the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

RICCIARDO WINNAHS!
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Vitantonio, Daniel is faster than you and brings more money to the team. Can you confirm you understand this message?

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Trulli out-qualifying Kovalainen. No complaining about power steering either.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

Have they always used Hot Air Balloons at Monza? Certainly says something about the climate, the static ariel view it gave was quite nice too
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Senna sneaks in by the skin of his teeth, unlucky for Di Resta

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Senna beat Di Resta by NOT two hundredth of a second, instead with 0.006. Martin Brundle is looking at something else...

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Hold on! Why the hell did Button slow down and enter the pits when his time was going to get pole?? I mean, yeah, Seb's time would have taken pole anyway, but still!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Hold on! Why the hell did Button slow down and enter the pits when his time was going to get pole?? I mean, yeah, Seb's time would have taken pole anyway, but still!

Brundle said his time wasn't good enough :?:
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Jeroen Krautmeir

eagleash wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Hold on! Why the hell did Button slow down and enter the pits when his time was going to get pole?? I mean, yeah, Seb's time would have taken pole anyway, but still!

That doesn't make sense. The screens were showing him inside all the sector times, even if it was just by a tenth or two.

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
eagleash wrote:

That doesn't make sense. The screens were showing him inside all the sector times, even if it was just by a tenth or two.

He maybe lost it in the final sector.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

FINGERS EVERYWHERE!

Some people are going to be upset. I like that. :lol:
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

fjackdaw wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
eagleash wrote:

He maybe lost it in the final sector.

Agreed; doesn't add up.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Jeroen Krautmeir

I didn't see anything. If anything, he actually got the tow from Webber who was ahead of him. Nevermind, what's done is done.

eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:I didn't see anything. If anything, he actually got the tow from Webber who was ahead of him. Nevermind, what's done is done.

Did Hamilton abort his final lap as well? Maybe McLaren spotted something.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

eagleash wrote:Did Hamilton abort his final lap as well? Maybe McLaren spotted something.

Yeah, he did, but he simply screwed up the Variante della Roggia and ruined both his lap and the tire. Button had no such mistake, at least none that we know of.
Last edited by Klon on 10 Sep 2011, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen Krautmeir

eagleash wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:I didn't see anything. If anything, he actually got the tow from Webber who was ahead of him. Nevermind, what's done is done.

Did Hamilton abort his final lap as well? Maybe McLaren spotted something.

Hamilton locked it up big time in the early part of his lap. He was behind Button on track.

mario

Post by mario »

Well, it's a shame in a way for Button if he did make a mistake in the final sector, since although it is very unlikely that he could have beaten Vettel, being about .15s up in the first two sectors would have given him a good chance of at least outqualifying Hamilton and starting on the front row. It is odd, though - there wasn't anything apparent on the TV footage or on the clock that indicated anything was amiss, so I can only assume that something else was up there.

As for Webber, well, it looks like he was hit by KERS problems during that last session at just the wrong time (he stated after the session that his KERS was only working intermittently), which might well have cost Webber a place to Alonso - and speaking of him, even despite Ferrari's slipstreaming tactics, it seems that they are just not as quick as you would have expected given that they've been reasonably strong at home in recent seasons.

Also, Mercedes seem to be going for a slightly unusual strategy for their drivers - Rosberg's tactic of using the harder tyre for the first stint is an interesting curve ball, and might well pay off, though it seems that Schumacher's going for the more traditional option. Still, despite the fact that they aren't that quick overall, I wonder how they'll fare in the race, because their first sector times and speed trap figures are impressive (I think that Rosberg has the fastest first sector time, after all).