Senna - the movie

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Senna - the movie

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

For those who haven't seen the film yet here's a clip from it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jxSjt3wU3s
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
The Lukas

Post by The Lukas »

Excellent video, really amazing. Usually we watch movies without any emotion, but while watching I was really moved. Great was a man lacks today, such as on Heroes.
Howard A Treesong

Post by Howard A Treesong »

Loved the film, though I can understand the criticism that they jumped from karting to F1 and even then skimmed over to get to the Prost-Senna stuff and after 1990 they skimmed again to 1994 barely mentioning the championships won by others, Gerhard Berger didn't get a mention and they only alluded towards the thawing of the Prost-Senna relationship prior to his death.

Is it my understanding that the extended cut of the film just includes talking heads rather than more of the same period footage and material that fits the style of the film as released? I preferred that, it made it feel present tense rather than retrospective. But they apparently cut a lot of material out so I'm not sure what makes that up.

When we saw it in the cinema I nearly cried, the wife did, but the guy down the aisle was bawling his eyes out. It was really quite upsetting. Actually the worst part wasn't Senna's crash, I expected that, it was Roland Ratzenbergers, I've never seen it and genuinely wasn't aware it was filmed. The part where he was at the TV new years party and he got kisses up to '93 gave be a chill. Obviously they cut the film to include moments like that but still it's a bit weird.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Howard A Treesong wrote: The part where he was at the TV new years party and he got kisses up to '93 gave me a chill. Obviously they cut the film to include moments like that but still it's a bit weird.

Yeah. When I saw that scene, it seems deeply odd and ironic.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

For those of you in the UK who didn't get a chance to see it in cinema, like myself, Tesco are knocking it out for £10.97. Just bought it and about to watch. I'll post my thoughts later...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I got the Triple Play Blu-Ray with the additional Production Notes booklet, and watched the cinema version again last night as my wife wanted to see it
(she didn't come to the cinema to watch it). I probably won't get around to watching the extended version which is 53 minutes longer for a little while.

As it's all old footage, it's probably not worth buying the Blu-Ray unless you've now stopped buying DVDs, although the sound is very good.

Also, I only had time to read the first few pages of the production notes, but that seemed quite interesting and only cost a quid more than the normal version,
so probably worth that little bit extra. I can't comment on any of the extras either yet I'm afraid ...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Ok. Just watched the film.

Firstly, the kisses up to 93' made me tingle a little bit.

Secondly, the portrayal of Senna/Prost does seem to be a bit biased. I'm not going to repeat what many people have said (Senna missing Prost in 94, missed moments in other races between them etc), but it does show the two completely different sides to the two drivers. We all know Prost was basically a tactical genius who knew how to play with people, whilst Senna had the mentality to 'destory them all'.

Thirdly, Martin Donnelly's crash is one of the most horrific accidents I have ever seen.

Fourthly, the Imola weekend in 94' shows some footage I'd never seen before, mainly Ratzenberger hitting the wall opposite the amateur camera and the attempted resuscitation on him, which affected me as muh as it obviously did to Senna. Plus, hearing Professor Sid Watkins describing Senna's last moments were truly heartbreaking.
I'll happily admit I cried watching the funeral, especially seeing Prost in attendance and carrying the coffin. All in all, well worth the money I spent. The film couldve been protrayed a little
better into Senna's personal life off the track, but a solid 8/10 anyway.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I was debating whether to get this due to the anti-Prost bias and not being a huge Senna fan at the time, but I must say that you've done a pretty good job selling it there!

It's going for £10 in Sainsburys as well (DVD version, that is)
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Barbazza wrote:I was debating whether to get this due to the anti-Prost bias and not being a huge Senna fan at the time, but I must say that you've done a pretty good job selling it there!

It's going for £10 in Sainsburys as well (DVD version, that is)

It doesn't matter if your not a Senna fan, If your an F1 fan, you need to watch/buy it.

Another thing about the film, Balestre really comes across as a bulltng hypocrite. His treatment towards Senna's questions about the kerbs at Germany is truly awful. And I thought Max Mosley was bad.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

It was a great movie. R.I.P. Ayrton Senna. I hope you and de Angelis are karting in heaven! :lol:
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

Balestre only likes PROST! :cry:
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

Senna should have been given a 2nd chance. I wish we could see him at the paddock at f1 races today.
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just rewatched this movie (saw it once at the cinema, just watched it for the first time on DVD) and, even though I was trying to doing some printing/reading/studying before a practical in uni tomorrow, the whole Imola weekend was still very shocking to watch. I am very familiar of Barrichello's crash, but only as a still photo - to watch it as a video clip is horrific, including the way they upright the car again, even if that was the best course of action. The startline crash is equally horrifying, particularly with the tyre flying over the catch-fencing. And those are just the two non-fatal crashes of the weekend. Heaven forbid motorsport ever has another weekend like that!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:Just rewatched this movie (saw it once at the cinema, just watched it for the first time on DVD) and, even though I was trying to doing some printing/reading/studying before a practical in uni tomorrow, the whole Imola weekend was still very shocking to watch. I am very familiar of Barrichello's crash, but only as a still photo - to watch it as a video clip is horrific, including the way they upright the car again, even if that was the best course of action. The startline crash is equally horrifying, particularly with the tyre flying over the catch-fencing. And those are just the two non-fatal crashes of the weekend. Heaven forbid motorsport ever has another weekend like that!

And just to top it off, didn't a wheel fly off Alboreto's car after a pitstop and hit a few pit mechanics.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

If I recall, A Minardi Mechanic died...

And thats why a pit lane speed limit has been in place ever since.

The "What if"s do not compute in my head, what happened in 1994 at imola has never happened again, looking back, if it didnt happen then and there it was going to happen at Monaco, if it didnt happen at monaco it would have happened at Barcelona, The "what if"s are countless.

As for the new DVD, are we getting an extention of the film? or will that be limited to Blu Ray and HD ready TV owners?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

ADx_Wales wrote:If I recall, A Minardi Mechanic died...

Don't think so - just injured.

I have the DVD - it's 106 minutes which I think is the same as the cinema release.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

redbulljack14 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Just rewatched this movie (saw it once at the cinema, just watched it for the first time on DVD) and, even though I was trying to doing some printing/reading/studying before a practical in uni tomorrow, the whole Imola weekend was still very shocking to watch. I am very familiar of Barrichello's crash, but only as a still photo - to watch it as a video clip is horrific, including the way they upright the car again, even if that was the best course of action. The startline crash is equally horrifying, particularly with the tyre flying over the catch-fencing. And those are just the two non-fatal crashes of the weekend. Heaven forbid motorsport ever has another weekend like that!

And just to top it off, didn't a wheel fly off Alboreto's car after a pitstop and hit a few pit mechanics.

I was at my grandmother's that fateful day, so my dad had recorded it, but did not allow extra time for the race over-running so our recording ended just as that tyre was coming off the car. I would want to watch the whole race again, just to get that and the podium etc into a full context.
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

dr-baker wrote: I am very familiar of Barrichello's crash, but only as a still photo - to watch it as a video clip is horrific, including the way they upright the car again, even if that was the best course of action.

Was it? I've always thought that it was a terrible mistake by the stewards, but I might have missed something.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ferrim wrote:
dr-baker wrote: I am very familiar of Barrichello's crash, but only as a still photo - to watch it as a video clip is horrific, including the way they upright the car again, even if that was the best course of action.

Was it? I've always thought that it was a terrible mistake by the stewards, but I might have missed something.

The important word there was 'if'.
MCard LOLA
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i counted and four cars got pretty much sheered in half within those two days.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

nome66 wrote:

If that's the four cars which were destroyed but didn't result in a fatality, I count Barrichello, Lehto and Lamy. Who's the fourth?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

AdrianSutil wrote:
nome66 wrote:

If that's the four cars which were destroyed but didn't result in a fatality, I count Barrichello, Lehto and Lamy. Who's the fourth?
If it did count fatal crashes, it would be 5. Maybe it's a mistake.
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

The amount of car that gets demolished is utterly shocking.

Prof. Watkins and Max Mosley (even him) deserve knighthoods for the lives they've saved through advancements in medical procedure and car build quality. Ayrton died in what today would be an innocuous shunt. Just 8 years later, Takuma Sato went through the barriers at 130R and walked away. Even if our sport is filled with scandal, there are bits of it that we can be bloody proud of. Let's hope IndyCar follows the same path and puts the focus entirely onto improving the safety of the cars now.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:Just 8 years later, Takuma Sato went through the barriers at 130R and walked away.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it McNish who went through the 130R barrier?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Wizzie wrote:
JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:Just 8 years later, Takuma Sato went through the barriers at 130R and walked away.

He was. Here's a video of the crash.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

dr-baker wrote:
Ferrim wrote:

The important word there was 'if'.

Hadn't he swallowed his tongue or something?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Myrvold wrote:
Hadn't he swallowed his tongue or something?

He did, but luckily they could help him before he suffocated.
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

Phoenix wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

He was. Here's a video of the crash.

You're right. I just think of the lovable Japanese scamp whenever I think of that 2002 season :D
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:You're right. I just think of the lovable Japanese scamp whenever I think of that 2002 season :D

Sato didn't crash at Japan, quite the opposite, as he scored his only points of the season there.

When it comes to 2002, I think of:

Mark Webber's points
TAKUUUUUUUUUUU
How much I miss the A1-Ring, what an amazing track that was
shite stewarding (Not disqualifying Ferrari from Austria, Montoya getting a totally undeserved penalty at Malaysia
Nick Heidfeld not getting the McLaren seat, had he got the seat, 2002 would have been slightly boring at worst (I'm a huge Kimi fan btw)
Alex Yoong nearly scoring a point
End of the line for Arrows :cry:
I like the way Snrub thinks!
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Ferrim wrote:

Then you look at Argentina 1996 when Badoer flipped, not one marshall assisted him on memory, poor Luca had to squeeze himself out
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

My local cinema is FINALLY showing Senna - for one week only by popular demand (surprisingly) - as well as TT3D (which I'll only be able to see in 2D as the 3D screenings are in the middle of the day). One thing you can be sure of is me yelling "Damn that Schlesser!" when I come out of the cinema.
This is a cool spot.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MinardiFan95 wrote:My local cinema is FINALLY showing Senna - for one week only by popular demand (surprisingly) - as well as TT3D (which I'll only be able to see in 2D as the 3D screenings are in the middle of the day). One thing you can be sure of is me yelling "Damn that Schlesser!" when I come out of the cinema.

Hope I am not spoiling anything, but the Schlesser incident is NOT in the film. :(

And I prefer the TT3D movie. I am eagerly anticipating getting the DVD in 2D in a couple of weeks' time...
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

And understandably so, because in the end it had no impact in the championship and the movie running time was limited.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

dr-baker wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:My local cinema is FINALLY showing Senna - for one week only by popular demand (surprisingly) - as well as TT3D (which I'll only be able to see in 2D as the 3D screenings are in the middle of the day). One thing you can be sure of is me yelling "Damn that Schlesser!" when I come out of the cinema.

Hope I am not spoiling anything, but the Schlesser incident is NOT in the film. :(

More reason for him to do it! :lol:

Anyway, I just watched it a few weeks back, and the first things I have to say are;

*Senna was portrayed as a saint. Yes, I know its his movie, but I still think they showed him to be way too 'perfect'. There would have been no harm in mentioning him rejecting Warwick at Lotus in 1986, punching Eddie Irvine in 1993 among other things.
*NO BERGER WTH?? This has to be the utterly worst part of the entire movie! How on earth could they neglect Senna's best friend. The man who gave Senna a perspective on life, the man who threw his suitcase out of the helicopter, the man who put frogs in Senna's hotel room, the man who... Well Berger WAS DA MAN! That they didn't even interview him simply makes it worse!
*No Mention of Piquet-Senna rivalry. This didn't really piss me off as it may have done to Brazilian fans, but I think they could have at least mentioned it.
*No 'I Miss You Alain' at Imola 1994. The entire movie is biased against Prost. That they totally neglected this, is in my mind, totally unacceptable. Rarely did the movie potray any signs of friendship between Ayrton and Alain, with the exception of the beginning of their relationship at McLaren.
*No Saving Comas. They put it in the credits, but I think it would have been nice if they put it in the movie itself.

And a host of other things. Yes, I know they have time limits. Yes, I know it's a Senna movie and they must make sure he is portrayed as the greatest driver ever, but still. It just ticks me off that they missed so many vital things.

I'm just a 13 year old.
Just my opinion...
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:More reason for him to do it! :lol:

Anyway, I just watched it a few weeks back, and the first things I have to say are;

*Senna was portrayed as a saint. Yes, I know its his movie, but I still think they showed him to be way too 'perfect'. There would have been no harm in mentioning him rejecting Warwick at Lotus in 1986, punching Eddie Irvine in 1993 among other things.
*NO BERGER WTH?? This has to be the utterly worst part of the entire movie! How on earth could they neglect Senna's best friend. The man who gave Senna a perspective on life, the man who threw his suitcase out of the helicopter, the man who put frogs in Senna's hotel room, the man who... Well Berger WAS DA MAN! That they didn't even interview him simply makes it worse!
*No Mention of Piquet-Senna rivalry. This didn't really piss me off as it may have done to Brazilian fans, but I think they could have at least mentioned it.
*No 'I Miss You Alain' at Imola 1994. The entire movie is biased against Prost. That they totally neglected this, is in my mind, totally unacceptable. Rarely did the movie potray any signs of friendship between Ayrton and Alain, with the exception of the beginning of their relationship at McLaren.
*No Saving Comas. They put it in the credits, but I think it would have been nice if they put it in the movie itself.

And a host of other things. Yes, I know they have time limits. Yes, I know it's a Senna movie and they must make sure he is portrayed as the greatest driver ever, but still. It just ticks me off that they missed so many vital things.

I'm just a 13 year old.
Just my opinion...

IMO the film is esentially about the man, not the driver, I think is still a great portrait. When you do a movie, there´s many things you have to do to get the story in the right way, including the things you mentioned would have probably given more background to Senna´s life, but would have made the story better? I doubt it. The best part of the movie is that a non-F1 fan can go, watch it, and like it as a movie, probably for F1 fans like us we would´ve wanted an extra hour of never watched footage and things like that, would have it appealed to us (the fans) more? Probably, Would have made the story better? I don´t think so.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Aerond wrote:IMO the film is esentially about the man, not the driver, I think is still a great portrait. When you do a movie, there´s many things you have to do to get the story in the right way, including the things you mentioned would have probably given more background to Senna´s life, but would have made the story better? I doubt it. The best part of the movie is that a non-F1 fan can go, watch it, and like it as a movie, probably for F1 fans like us we would´ve wanted an extra hour of never watched footage and things like that, would have it appealed to us (the fans) more? Probably, Would have made the story better? I don´t think so.

Spot on, I went with my girlfriend who knew next to nothing about Senna and F1 in the 80s and 90s, and yet she was still able to understand, appreciate and enjoy it as a film. As an F1 fan I wanted to see the stuff they didn't put in, but at the end of the day, it still is a very good piece of cinematography.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

AndreaModa wrote:
Aerond wrote:IMO the film is esentially about the man, not the driver, I think is still a great portrait. When you do a movie, there´s many things you have to do to get the story in the right way, including the things you mentioned would have probably given more background to Senna´s life, but would have made the story better? I doubt it. The best part of the movie is that a non-F1 fan can go, watch it, and like it as a movie, probably for F1 fans like us we would´ve wanted an extra hour of never watched footage and things like that, would have it appealed to us (the fans) more? Probably, Would have made the story better? I don´t think so.

Spot on, I went with my girlfriend who knew next to nothing about Senna and F1 in the 80s and 90s, and yet she was still able to understand, appreciate and enjoy it as a film. As an F1 fan I wanted to see the stuff they didn't put in, but at the end of the day, it still is a very good piece of cinematography.

That´s exactly what happened to me. I went with my girlfriend too (who didn´t want to go at all, she´s always blaming me when there´s F1 on TV and I want to watch it). We´re both film lovers and she told me it was one of the greatest documentaries she´d ever seen, and that she could get an idea of how Senna (the man) and Senna (the driver) was, and what his victories and his death meant to the world of sport, and F1.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I've just got the DVD edition of the movie, and it looks great. It comes in two DVD's, the first one includes the full movie (1h 40m) and a couple of extras. I'm currently watching a feature on which the director and the other two people who worked most closely in the project comment on the film as you watch it. It's really interesting because they tell you where that scene came from, and the ideas they had for the movie, and how it was developping, and so on and so on. I had read a couple of articles on how they made the film but I'm still learning a lot of things. And I've yet to arrive to the second DVD!

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I started the new year watching the DVD of Senna. This has just reminded me I need to watch all the extras.

I'll be back in a few hours...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Anyone going to be joining in on SennaWatch on Twitter?

8pm GMT on Sunday 8th Jan. F1 fans (and some stars) are watching Senna at the same time and tweeting about it.

Im @stupot94 :D
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor