Santander's in Ferrari... and Alonso?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
lostpin

Santander's in Ferrari... and Alonso?

Post by lostpin »

According to the official F1 website http://www.formula1.com/, Santander has signed an agreement with Ferrari for 2010. Should we expect them to anounce Alonso soon? State your opinion please.
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
CarlosFerreira

Re: Santander's in Ferrari... and Alonso?

Post by CarlosFerreira »

lostpin wrote:According to the official F1 website http://www.formula1.com/, Santander has signed an agreement with Ferrari for 2010. Should we expect them to anounce Alonso soon? State your opinion please.

Yes.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

No. Ferrari have said time and again that sponsors do not dictate driver lineups, and Santander is not Alonso's personal sponsor. They have no say in the matter.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

No. Most frustrating rumour ever.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Captain Hammer wrote:No. Ferrari have said time and again that sponsors do not dictate driver lineups, and Santander is not Alonso's personal sponsor. They have no say in the matter.

But it doesn't have to be a case of a sponsor demanding a driver - they could simply have chosen to move to Ferrari because Ferrari have told them they are going to sign Alonso.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think Luca Di Montezemelo just confirmed Alonso is signed...but for 2011.
I think they will let Raikkonen drive for one more year, THEN kick him out in favour of Alonso.

And with the way the Renault case seems to be going...Nando could have a big problem for next year.
What I see happening with that is him moving to Campos for a year, and having Vitaly Petrov as a pay driver basically funding Alonso's salary. Certainly, Adrian Campos would probably sell his soul to the Devil to have Alonso driving for him. Plus he is good at car development and will be able to advise the team in certain areas.

Then off to Ferrari for a 3-year deal with an option for a 4th year!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Captain Hammer wrote:No. Ferrari have said time and again that sponsors do not dictate driver lineups, and Santander is not Alonso's personal sponsor. They have no say in the matter.

Maybe not, but Alonso has links with Santander anyway.
I dunno if you heard this, but he wants to have a Pro Cycling team in 2011, and he was in talks with Santander about title sponsorship (i.e. Santander Alonso) and also Alberto Contador as lead rider. None of that is a done deal yet, its still in its preliminary stages and probably not at the front of his mind at this moment, but at the end of the day, Santander and Alonso DO have connections. Why did you think Santander went to McLaren, eh?

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

kostas22 wrote:I think Luca Di Montezemelo just confirmed Alonso is signed...but for 2011.
I think they will let Raikkonen drive for one more year, THEN kick him out in favour of Alonso.

And with the way the Renault case seems to be going...Nando could have a big problem for next year.
What I see happening with that is him moving to Campos for a year, and having Vitaly Petrov as a pay driver basically funding Alonso's salary. Certainly, Adrian Campos would probably sell his soul to the Devil to have Alonso driving for him. Plus he is good at car development and will be able to advise the team in certain areas.

Then off to Ferrari for a 3-year deal with an option for a 4th year!

So, maybe there is a chance of Alonso not going to Ferrari, but I can't see him going to Campos over staying at Renault. I think he'd have a lot to lose by driving for Campos.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jordan192

Post by Jordan192 »

watka wrote:but I can't see him going to Campos over staying at Renault.

That very much assumes that there's a Renault to stay at...
I coined the term "Lewisteria". The irony is that I actually quite like Lewis Hamilton.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Jordan192 wrote:
watka wrote:but I can't see him going to Campos over staying at Renault.

That very much assumes that there's a Renault to stay at...

The very reason I came up with the Campos theory. I don't think there will be a Renault for Alonso to race next year...hence the need to find a seat to fill the one/two year gap to his "Ferrari contract".
But in the end, every team will want to sign him. Except McLaren of course. He will have a seat somewhere at all times, the only question is where.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I believe Nando Alonso will sign up for Ferrari soon, but not because of Santander.

Santander went into Mclaren because of a marketing strategy: they had bought Britain's Abbey some time before, and wanted to unite the entire communication under one brand. British people would have none of that, however, so they sponsored a British team with a young, popular British pilot. The Spanish guy was just a bonus - and when he moved out, they decided to hang on.

Abbey has now become Santander on the High Street. So Santander is moving to Ferrari, because it gives them more international projection. A bank (especially this one) is an international corporation, that does not pander to a few thousand people in the Asturias.

Alonso is going to Ferrari because he is one of the great on the grid today. He is wanted everywhere (even in the new, "organizational culture improved" McLaren, I believe), but Maranello is where he might live his New Schumacher fantasy. It's a marriage waiting to happen.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote: but Maranello is where he might live his New Schumacher fantasy. It's a marriage waiting to happen.

The problem with Alonso/Ferrari "New Schumacher"-fantasy is the fact that Ferrari has two drivers contracted to 2010, and neither of them most likely is willing to play Irvine/Rubens to Alonso's Schummy
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DonTirri wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote: but Maranello is where he might live his New Schumacher fantasy. It's a marriage waiting to happen.

The problem with Alonso/Ferrari "New Schumacher"-fantasy is the fact that Ferrari has two drivers contracted to 2010, and neither of them most likely is willing to play Irvine/Rubens to Alonso's Schummy

Add to that the fact that Massa is very well settled into the team and I don't see him leaving any time soon.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

DonTirri wrote:

The first problem is non-existent. There are exit clauses on contracts, and if anyone can do it is Ferrari. The second issue is much more troubling for Nando, I believe; everyone thought Kimi was going to get there and treat Massa like The Schumster did, but look at what happened.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78578

Ha, I didn't see that one coming. Santander sponsoring Ferrari and McLaren at the same time! So I guess the McLaren sponsorship will just carry the Abbey brand name then...?

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78578

Ha, I didn't see that one coming. Santander sponsoring Ferrari and McLaren at the same time! So I guess the McLaren sponsorship will just carry the Abbey brand name then...?

I think they're transforming all the Abbeys into Santanders.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!