Your first F1 race

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: Your first F1 race

Post by WeirdKerr »

Recordded the 1986 Australian gp and watched it in the morning, but the first race i saw live on tv was the 1987 Austrian GP with the 2 start crashes and mansell winning.... i was hooked
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Mid-Early 2000s Brazilian Grand Prix.

Family tradition dictates that I go to my grandmother's house for Canadian Thanksgiving. Around that time was the day of the Brazilian GP. I always remember sitting in the living room, watching Speedvision/SPEED and their re-run of the Brazilian GP and the red Ferrari of the Schumacher before I went to eat food.

I don't remember much else..
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

My first F1 race was the very last race of 1997, The 1997 European Grand Prix.
This may help to explain my fondness for the rejects of '98.
At the time I was unaware that Schumacher was a 2 time world champion, so I cheered him as an underdog. How times change eh?
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
coloni_subaru

Post by coloni_subaru »

The first race i remember watching in full was 1993 Australia (i remember staying up all night with my uncle, pretty exciting for a 7 year old!) which i suppose is a good start as it was Senna's last victory..
The last Grand Prix i didn't see was Japan 1994, so thats 17 full seasons now! First race live attendence was Silverstone 1995 and Hill's suicidal attack on Schumi's benetton!
"Better to have raced and lost than never to have raced at all"
1993DonningtonNo1

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1 »

My 1st F1 race was the 1993 European GP at Donnington Park, and that was all it took for me to get hooked on F1, Ayrton Senna and Damon Hill.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

First watched on TV: Briefly remember watching Pacific or Japan 1995, (cause there was nothing much else on the box!, and similar to Aussie time), then watched Adelaide full, including quali and race. Pretty much havent missed a race since then. First race attended was 1999 Australia.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

David AGS wrote:First watched on TV: Briefly remember watching Pacific or Japan 1995, (cause there was nothing much else on the box!, and similar to Aussie time), then watched Adelaide full, including quali and race. Pretty much havent missed a race since then. First race attended was 1999 Australia.

If that was your first race, I'm sure you must be extremely disappointed at the attrition (or lack thereof) these days! :)
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Definetly, but with the engine/gearbox limit, sand/gravel/grass, and other stuff things have changed.

But I remember seeing DC hit the pit wall, Muzza Walker going ape (as usual), while leading.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

I can vaguely remember Damon hill's last race, mainly because he was my dads favourite driver.
I can remember the 2001 season well for sure, and being a fan of a little spanish man in a minardi.
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I started to watch F1 when I was young (maybe 3-4 years) but the first race that I really remember was Brazilian Grand Prix 1994. I was almost 6 years old.
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I started to watch F1 when I was young (maybe 3-4 years) but the first race that I really remember was Brazilian Grand Prix 1994. I was almost 6 years old.

Ahh, pretty much the same time I was getting into F1!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

dr-baker wrote:
Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I started to watch F1 when I was young (maybe 3-4 years) but the first race that I really remember was Brazilian Grand Prix 1994. I was almost 6 years old.

I almost get the feeling you're going for "Most Desperate Forum Member of the Year" on purpose.* :lol:

*Although the person who volunteered to marry one of the Ecclestone daughters to save F1 probably takes the cake
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wizzie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I almost get the feeling you're going for "Most Desperate Forum Member of the Year" on purpose.* :lol:

*Although the person who volunteered to marry one of the Ecclestone daughters to save F1 probably takes the cake

Half-way through my 5th year as a uni student and still somehow single for all my life might have something to do with it.... And Sunshine lives over 1000 miles/1600 km from me...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
Although the person who volunteered to marry one of the Ecclestone daughters to save F1 probably takes the cake

That is not being desperate. I can think of many dudes who could volunteer to marry one of the Ecclestone daughters if shown the Ecclestone bank account extract. Desperate is more like accepting anyone who comes your way or being in a F1 forum and from the moment someone introduces themselves as a girl reply to almost every single post that this someone does... :lol:
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Not 100% sure.

My first memory of watching a race fits with Japan 1994 - Lots of rain. Temporary stoppage. Hill in a Rothmans-livery Williams beating Schumacher because Schu ended up taking two pits stops. Also remember Mansell battling with a Ferrari. Yet at the same time I remember Barrichello starting on pole for Jordan, which is Belgium 94, and I must've been watching for a few races by then because I knew Jordan were the Irish team and qualifying on pole was something special for them. I was definitely watching every race by 1995.

So I've clearly got wires crossed somewhere. I definitely didn't see Senna racing though, so I must've started watching somewhere between San Marino '94 and Belgium '94.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wizzie wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

He was the person who volunteered to marry one of the Ecclestone daughters :roll:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

dr-baker wrote:Half-way through my 5th year as a uni student and still somehow single for all my life might have something to do with it.... And Sunshine lives over 1000 miles/1600 km from me...

Well, I'm now about to leave university and I'm still single. Not for all my life, but pretty much. And yet I'm not chasing girls over 1000 miles away :lol: (but I must add that I've gone through that kind of stuff in the past, which is why I no longer go for it... it's not really worth it!)

Back on topic, my interest in F1 is mainly down to a videogame. When my parents finally bought me a home console, in late 1996, they went for the cheap option - a Sega Megadrive, which by then was already obsolete, but I had no idea of that. Along with the console came a single game cartridge containing six games, one of which was a racer that went by the name Super Monaco GP. It took quite a while until I decided to try that one: there were more interested options, like a football game (Sega Soccer, which was originally called World Cup Italy '90), a couple about fighting (Revenge of Shinobi, which I always found too hard and have NEVER finished :oops: , and Streets of Rage, which was easier and I liked better :P ) and the original Sonic game (this one I've never cleared either! I feel ashamed, although at least I managed to complete Sonic 2 three times when I was 11).

One day, I decided to give Super Monaco GP a try... and I became addicted! But at the beginning I only ever played the Super Monaco GP mode. It wasn't until I decided to try the World Championship mode, that a new world opened in front of my eyes. I was pathetic at the beginning, but with lots of practise I improved until the point I started to win races and championships... I don't remember how, but when I heard that the final race of the 1997 F1 season was going to be held at Jerez (100 km from Seville, where I live), with the championship at stake, and broadcasted in the region's TV channel, I decided to turn up and watch it :)

I was rooting for Schumacher, because he was the only driver I knew and because, as a German, I supposed I had more in common with him that with an American (back then I already was a supporter of European unity... :mrgreen: ) I remember Schumacher pulling away and leading by something like five seconds when I sadly had to go because my mother wanted us to go to my grandmother's house, I don't remember why or for what, but I was a well-educated child who didn't discuss his parents' decisions :lol: When we came back the race was just over, they were showing the results and I didn't understand anything. "Let's see who has won... Häkkinen? Coulthard?" What was that? I didn't understand what had happened and the commentators weren't very helpful either! But it was enough to see that the stupid Canadian had won the championship... :evil:

After that I followed 1998 and 1999 (that year's Australian GP was my first ever full race), but I didn't start watching every race I could until 2000-01.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I havent had a girlfriend yet. But half the girls in my class are really stupid so its not a big deal.
I hope dr-baker havent scared Sunshine Baby off with all of this
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I wonder when wmetcalf started watching Formula One ;)

eurobrun wrote:I havent had a girlfriend yet. But half the girls in my class are really stupid so its not a big deal.
I hope dr-baker havent scared Sunshine Baby off with all of this

I haven't had a girlfriend since 2008...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

East Londoner wrote: I haven't had a girlfriend since 2008...

I haven't had one for about 6.5 years ... The wife won't let me .... :P
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

All this talk about girlfriends... Haven't had one, won't have one either! :P
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

madmark1974 wrote:
East Londoner wrote: I haven't had a girlfriend since 2008...

I haven't had one for about 6.5 years ... The wife won't let me .... :P

Hahaha post of the year! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jimmy1601

Post by Jimmy1601 »

First full race for me was Monaco 1997!!

Been hooked ever since.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Jimmy1601 wrote:First full race for me was Monaco 1997!!

Been hooked ever since.

I'm not surprised with a race like that!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

BTW, what everyone of us seem to have in common is that we came across a F1 race in the TV, free-to-air, and that's how we started watching. That's why F1 going to pay per view is Such. A. Bad. Idea. Even if it had some success in the early days (which I very much doubt), with time some people would stop watching, and new people wouldn't become randomly interested, because they can't see it anymore! F1 would end up being followed by way less people than right now, it would stop being interesting for the big brands and everyone would start losing money.

It's a different thing with, for example, football. Everyone can play football everywhere in the world, and most people can afford going to see a match in the stadium. But the only way +99% of people have to follow F1 is watching the TV broadcast; it's not by chance that F1 started to be massively followed in the 1980s.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Jimmy1601

Post by Jimmy1601 »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Jimmy1601 wrote:First full race for me was Monaco 1997!!

Been hooked ever since.

I'm not surprised with a race like that!!

Yeah not a bad one to start with.

In fact the 1997 season as a whole was a good one to start with!!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ferrim wrote:BTW, what everyone of us seem to have in common is that we came across a F1 race in the TV, free-to-air, and that's how we started watching. That's why F1 going to pay per view is Such. A. Bad. Idea. Even if it had some success in the early days (which I very much doubt), with time some people would stop watching, and new people wouldn't become randomly interested, because they can't see it anymore! F1 would end up being followed by way less people than right now, it would stop being interesting for the big brands and everyone would start losing money.

It's a different thing with, for example, football. Everyone can play football everywhere in the world, and most people can afford going to see a match in the stadium. But the only way +99% of people have to follow F1 is watching the TV broadcast; it's not by chance that F1 started to be massively followed in the 1980s.

I agree completely. Going pay per view is resigning to keep some of the current fans, stop acquiring new fans and hope that fathers pass their love for the sport to their sons, because, well, there is not much else to do. Ecclestone should go if only for this. He doesn't give a crap for raising fans but fails to realise that without them TV couldn't care less for the sport which in turn makes circuits outside Europe not caring to host a race which in turn makes those rich peacocks Bernie loves so much losing their interest in walking their feathers on the paddock. This would mean no sponsors of course. Maybe these sponsor crisis times that we go through have something to do with this unwillingness to raise fans. Sure, they work to improve the show, but then when it's in pay TV, who is there to see those improvements?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I think it was sometime in 1983, when I was 6. The first race that I remember watching and that I have clear memories of is Monaco 1984. In those days, Portuguese television had only just started covering every race, because of the renewed interest in the sport due to the staging of the first Grand Prix of the modern era in Portugal, in 1984 at Estoril.
I seem to have had a knack for missing some very momentous and memorable races. Donington 1993 and Suzuka 1990 are two that stick out for me, as my family and I were stuck in a car travelling somewhere on both occasions.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Mine was Germany 1989.

I'd been an avid reader (as much as a child can be) of a magazine here in Australia called "Modern Motor" (now just "Motor"), which used to have F1 reports towards the back, so I'd been familiar with F1 for a few years but I never knew that races were being shown on TV. Until one day my mother told me that she had been ironing late at night and had seen an F1 race. From that point on I asked her to record the next one for me, and that was the race at Hockenheim.

With Gerhard Berger launching from 4th on the grid into the lead at the first corner, and more importantly Philippe Alliot spearing sideways off the track before even crossing the start line, I was hooked and (curiously like Alianora La Canta) the only race I've missed since is China 2008 when I was having a little bit of time out from this site and from the sport.

The fact that it was 1989, with the epic 39-car entry list and loads of unusual teams to cheer for at the back of the field, also helped matters!

About two years later I introduced a certain classmate called Jamie McGregor to F1, and the rest, as they say, is history.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

The first race I saw (& I seem to recall posting this in a similar thread last year) was a film at a local scout hut in 1962 of Sir Stirling holding off the Ferraris the previous year at Monaco.

F1 on TV was a pretty rare event back then & the first race I can be certain of seeing was 1970 Monaco when Brabham gifted Rindt the win at the last corner.

I was a huge fan well before then. A subscription to Motor Sport was a regular Xmas present. The writings of "Jenks" in particular defining my attitudes to & feel for, the sport. Regular visits to Crystal Palace where F1 drivers of the day turned up in F2 events helped too.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Faustus wrote:I think it was sometime in 1983, when I was 6. The first race that I remember watching and that I have clear memories of is Monaco 1984. In those days, Portuguese television had only just started covering every race, because of the renewed interest in the sport due to the staging of the first Grand Prix of the modern era in Portugal, in 1984 at Estoril.

I had no idea that you were Portuguese!

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Suzuka 1996. Damon may have won the championship but apparently I was more interested in the McLaren in 3rd place...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

kostas22 wrote:Suzuka 1996. Damon may have won the championship but apparently I was more interested in the McLaren in 3rd place...

Last race for them in the red and white Marlboro colours as well wasn't it?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

redbulljack14 wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Suzuka 1996. Damon may have won the championship but apparently I was more interested in the McLaren in 3rd place...

Yeah, they switched to West in '97. In a way I'm surprised they are still using so much silver in their livery, the only 'history' linking them to the colour is said sponsorship. White & Red due to Vodafone sponsorship makes a lot more sense if you really think about it.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

kostas22 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

Yeah, they switched to West in '97. In a way I'm surprised they are still using so much silver in their livery, the only 'history' linking them to the colour is said sponsorship. White & Red due to Vodafone sponsorship makes a lot more sense if you really think about it.

I believe the silver is kept because of Mercedes-Benz, even if it's no longer a shareholder in the team. But I have no problems with the current paint job - it looks so badass!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:

I believe the silver is kept because of Mercedes-Benz, even if it's no longer a shareholder in the team. But I have no problems with the current paint job - it looks so badass!

Triple 8 Racing in the V8s also used a predominately silver and red Vodafone livery so the link may be through that.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Yeah, they switched to West in '97. In a way I'm surprised they are still using so much silver in their livery, the only 'history' linking them to the colour is said sponsorship. White & Red due to Vodafone sponsorship makes a lot more sense if you really think about it.

Maybe, but I always though the West colour scheme suited them better.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Adelaide 1986. Mansell. A tyre. Sparks.

Much tears.
Just For One Day...
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
kostas22 wrote:Yeah, they switched to West in '97. In a way I'm surprised they are still using so much silver in their livery, the only 'history' linking them to the colour is said sponsorship. White & Red due to Vodafone sponsorship makes a lot more sense if you really think about it.

Maybe, but I always though the West colour scheme suited them better.

I concur.

stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Before I became hooked on F1 I always liked WRC and BTCC. So it was quite late until I saw a full GP. I have seen snippets before. But my first full GP I saw was Monaco 2006. Hooked for life, 2 main loves F1 and Depeche Mode :D

So yeah...
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor