The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Jeroen Krautmeir

Re: The 'The 2011 IndyCar Series thread' thread

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Cynon wrote:I know I'm going to get chewed out for it, but this needs to be said.

Of course.

1.5 mile ovals draw fans out specifically because of pack racing. Not to see a big crash or anything of the like, but because of the uber-close finishes and random-draw that kind of racing tends to generate. If the IRL is going to recoup some of the losses it is getting from NASCAR, it needs racing like that.

There is no denying that. I myself will admit that if you were not to care about safety, then pack racing and highly banked 1.5 Mile Ovals are may be the only ovals you want on the calendar. But that's the problem. The majority of the viewing base probably don't give a bathplug about safety, and who can blame them? People watch motorsport because they want daredevils driving fast, side by side, wheel to wheel. And as sickening as it seems, they also like crashes. In fact, would it be wrong as to say some people love them? There was a taxi driver I met a while back who said that he always wished it would rain during the (F1) race, because he said 'what's a race without crashes?'. But the problem is, the IRL is not going to recoup their losses, not like this, not at this stage, not now. After Roger Penske sold his PMI tracks to the Frances at ISC, he had given a monopoly to NASCAR to decide what ovals to put on the calendar. The ISC pulled the plug on the races at Homestead, Chicagoland and Kansas, in addition to the road course race at Watkins Glen. 3 1.5 Mile Ovals gone, just like that, they can do more, I can assure you that.

NASCAR superspeedways were fan favorites because of the hard racing on the last few laps and the drag race to the finish line. Keyword there is "were", after NASCAR royally screwed the entire superspeedway package up, giving way to a "two-car tandem" type of racing which is about as frustrating as watching a montage of 400 different variations of Austria 2002 for 3 hours.

Never really understood what the whole two-car tandem thing was all about. Curiously, I've become a NASCAR fan despite this and so many other confusing things. It ain't as simplistic as most people on the old continent make it out to be.

I remember going to the IRL race at Chicagoland in 2009, and Ryan Briscoe had just notched what was ... I think the 4th closest finish in IRL history. Either way, it was a great race-long duel between the Penske cars (Castroneves and Briscoe) and the Ganassi cars (Dixon and Franchitti), and Ed Carpenter, before Castroneves was eliminated after a cut tire. A guy a few rows in front of me was talking to one of his friends about the future of the IRL, and not a minute after the race had finished, he said;

"Yeah, they're going to replace THIS with more street races."

Like I said, you can't blame him and people like him. People want action. Racing on tracks like Texas and Vegas is how you get action, but inevitably you go head on with drivers and safety advocates. Dan Wheldon's win at Homestead in 2006, in the light of Paul Dana's tragic death was fantastic wheel to wheel action, and when I showed my mum this race, she was pretty impressed.

The crowd was a little smaller than for some NASCAR races at the same track, but it was still a very respectable number of people showing up for the race. Easily five times the crowd that had shown up for Milwaukee and New Hampshire put together. Want to get rid of pack racing? Not happening.

The IRL has promoted pack racing for some time now, of course they won't be getting rid of it. But you just mentioned Milwaukee and New Hampshire. Here is my MAJOR MAJOR issue with the IRL and it's cookie-cutter ovals. CART always managed to put on a show on flat ovals. Milwaukee, New Hampshire held some of the most exciting racing ever in 1993. Both are banked under 10 degrees (TMS is 24, Vegas in its new layout is 20), and lets not forget Nazareth (at most 4 degrees I think) and Phoenix (has been NASCAR-ized lately). Indianapolis is 9 degrees, and all the CART 500s were exciting, with the exception of 1994 I guess, although at least we saw Emmo kiss the wall at the end.

AND THEN;

We had Homestead in 1996 (back then it was a flat oval), Jacarepagua (had no banking at all) and these races succeeded pretty well in their debuts, despite the drivers complaining of the lack of passing chances at Homestead (rectangular ala Indy for that year only, later reconfigured for 1997 onwards to be a regular oval, and finally reconfigured in 2003 to have an 18 degree banking). Rockingham was a fantastic track, and Motegi is a driver favourite with just 10 degrees of banking. This only proves that exciting racing on flat ovals is possible, and was indeed achieved by CART. But good old Tony George just didn't care, did he? No! Indianapolis is what matters, and preserving American talent and blablabla. The irony of it all is that Honda is the sole engine supplier, and Dallara the sole chassis supplier, in addition to the fact that the last time an American won the championship and/or the 500 was Sam Hornish, Jr. in 2006.

NASCAR cars can't have pack racing at 1.5 mile ovals, and never could. Pack racing at Las Vegas in Champ Car did not have many safety concerns, because if you ran into the back of the car in front, the wedge-like nose the Champ Car had would just jack up the car in front's rear wheels and spin them out. Only flying cars I remember in Champ Car were from fluke crashes or from the same kind of huge bumps in the grass that killed Greg Moore.

Of course, their NASCAR's. As you said, Champ Car at Vegas did not have much safety concerns, if any. They were running road course wings IIRC, and at the time, Vegas was banked at 12 degrees, not the 20 degrees of today. Good observation regarding flying Champ Cars. In one word; RARE.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Indianapolis is what matters, and preserving American talent and blablabla. The irony of it all is that Honda is the sole engine supplier, and Dallara the sole chassis supplier, in addition to the fact that the last time an American won the championship and/or the 500 was Sam Hornish, Jr. in 2006.

Imagine an F1 with no British drivers in winning (or even close-to-winning cars). Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Cynon wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Indianapolis is what matters, and preserving American talent and blablabla. The irony of it all is that Honda is the sole engine supplier, and Dallara the sole chassis supplier, in addition to the fact that the last time an American won the championship and/or the 500 was Sam Hornish, Jr. in 2006.

Imagine an F1 with no British drivers in winning (or even close-to-winning cars). Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public...

I wouldn't mind, IMHO. I would love to see Mihai Marinescu in F1.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Jeroen Krautmeir

Cynon wrote:

Imagine an F1 with no British drivers. Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public...

I'm not denying Indy wouldn't be Indy without something American in it, but Tony George simply took it WAY TOO FAR. He single-handedly destroyed what was at the time the fastest growing series in the world, gaining in popularity, in talent, challenging F1 and NASCAR for dominance both on the old continent and in thew new world. IRL was a joke from the onset, I mean, Racin Gardner? Lol. Jim Guthrie? Um, yeah. We all love his story, but the fact is he would never have made it in CART. Scott Sharp was a midfielder at best in CART. Buzz Calkins disappeared after the first two seasons. Tony Stewart left for NASCAR, and IMO, would never have made it big in CART. The list goes on and on.

Tony George gave birth to a series where a suitable motto could be; 'Where You Make It Or Break It!', because the sad fact is that its true.

During the glory days of CART, Indy veterans and fan favourites were losing their seats to talented young drivers, or foreign talent. Nowadays, their losing their seats to people like Milka Duno. Pfft.

By the way, in 1995, you had 14 Americans (Gordon, Rahal, Sullivan, Herta, Brayton [one-off], Pruett, Vasser, Jones [one-off], Andretti, Sharp, Lazier [one-off], Fox [one-off], Cheever, St. James [one-off].

In 2011, you had 10 Americans (Bell [one-off], Rice [one-off], Carpenter [part-time], Hildebrand, Hamilton [part-time], J. Andretti [one-off], Patrick, M. Andretti, Kimball, Rahal and Hunter-Reay [who shouldn't have been there]).

Long live the vision Tony George.

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Cynon wrote:

YYEEEEEHHHAAAWWWW :lol:
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Imagine an F1 with no British drivers. Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public...

I'm not denying Indy wouldn't be Indy without something American in it, but Tony George simply took it WAY TOO FAR. He single-handedly destroyed what was at the time the fastest growing series in the world, gaining in popularity, in talent, challenging F1 and NASCAR for dominance both on the old continent and in thew new world. IRL was a joke from the onset, I mean, Racin Gardner? Lol. Jim Guthrie? Um, yeah. We all love his story, but the fact is he would never have made it in CART. Scott Sharp was a midfielder at best in CART. Buzz Calkins disappeared after the first two seasons. Tony Stewart left for NASCAR, and IMO, would never have made it big in CART. The list goes on and on.

Tony George gave birth to a series where a suitable motto could be; 'Where You Make It Or Break It!', because the sad fact is that its true.

During the glory days of CART, Indy veterans and fan favourites were losing their seats to talented young drivers, or foreign talent. Nowadays, their losing their seats to people like Milka Duno. Pfft.

Tony George had his eye on beating NASCAR after failing to control CART and deciding he wanted his own box of sand to play in. I don't need to tell you that he flunked in both instances. The only thing Tony G's doctrine (which I think was only another thing he threw at CART rather than something he truly cared about) got right was wanting more American drivers, because otherwise, CART would have inevitably lost out to NASCAR (who have made it clear that they're willing to butcher the integrity of the racing and the entire championship just to create excitement) on the home front.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Jeroen Krautmeir

EDIT: I'VE JUST REALIZED I NEGLECTED A PART OF CYNON'S POST THAT MAKES THIS RESPONSE TOTALLY REDUNDANT. REGARDLESS, I'LL KEEP THE POST INTACT.

A SLIGHTLY BETTER ANSWER IS PROVIDED BELOW THIS ONE.

Cynon wrote:because otherwise, CART would have inevitably lost out to NASCAR (who have made it clear that they're willing to butcher the integrity of the racing and the entire championship just to create excitement) on the home front.

In my opinion, this wouldn't have mattered. CART eventually did lose fans due to the lack of American drivers in its later years (by the early 00s you would be forgiven for thinking it was a Brazilian series), but I think the solution to this was obvious. Take the battle to F1, whom had been facing more and more competition from CART follwing Mansell's move.

CART could have left the IRL behind for NASCAR to finish off. Instead, it stayed in the NAOWR ring so that Bill France could cripple CART and the IRL at the same time when it could have redirected itself away from NASCAR's destructive tactics by focusing on international venues. So...can you tell me where France and family had the means to fight CART in that arena? CART was racing in South America in 1996, Japan in 1998, and Europe by 2001. So don't tell me that CART couldn't have made even further inroads overseas while reinforcing their domestic events as the racing public adjusted to CART without Indy.

I'm not saying that a wholesale transition to overseas races was the answer...only that a stepped-up program of foreign racing expansion should have been undertaken. We know that both the races at Surfers Paradise and Mexico City were likely viable over the long term...but would the races in Europe have been successful as well?

That's what three-year agreements with promoters are there to determine. In the meantime, we escape being caught in the destructive web of tactical maneuvering by NASCAR as it tried to destroy AOWR. They owned no racetracks that CART raced on in 1996...and remember that at the outset, Penske was a firmly-committed CART owner. Keep all his PMI tracks on the CART schedule, and remake the Michigan 500 into the crown jewel race of CART, and things might have turned out quite differently from the outset of the split.

Bottom-line...keep all the fiscally successful domestic races from 1995 that we could have, replace Phoenix, Indy and Loudon with Homestead, Gateway, the US 500 and Fontana within the first two seasons post-hIRL...and add to the Surfers and Rio races of 1996 with the Motegi of 1998, the European ovals of 2001, and a race at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in Mexico City, and there you have it. A domestically-based CART racing series with a foreign flair.

Wait a minute...isn't that what happened? So why didn't CART announce their change in direction to the racing world in rejecting 25/8 and Indy from the outset, and go about their plan in a far more aggressive manner? By the time those three-year agreements would have been up, CART could have determined which foreign events were likely the most economically viable to maintain, and meanwhile, the Idiot Grandson would have surely come crawling back to CART on his knees after NASCAR was through trying to remake the hIRL into their very own open-wheel subservient all-oval (with two road courses) version of the Busch series. If not, who would have cared? With Buddy Lazier and Cheever its first two Borg-Warner burglars, how far diminished in value, importance and legitimacy would the Indy-owned 500 have become, anyway?
Last edited by Jeroen Krautmeir on 17 Nov 2011, 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Jeroen Krautmeir

Cynon wrote:The only thing Tony G's doctrine (which I think was only another thing he threw at CART rather than something he truly cared about) got right was wanting more American drivers, because otherwise, CART would have inevitably lost out to NASCAR (who have made it clear that they're willing to butcher the integrity of the racing and the entire championship just to create excitement) on the home front.

Yet despite the overwhelming amount of American drivers at its inception and its first few years, the IRL still failed. Until CART self-destructed in 2001, nobody gave a damn about the series apart from the Indy 500. Did anyone care about Lazier winning the championship in 2000? I don't think so. Did Tony Stewart ever gain his recognition in the IRL? No, he made it in NASCAR. ABC quit broadcasting all the races after 1998 after the league apparently failed to live up to expectations. CART and NASCAR dwarfed the IRL for years and years until the CART structure broke down. The IRL would NEVER have made it big. In my previous post, mentioned that if CART had moved away from the States, the IRL would have been destroyed by NASCAR in the American/Oval section, and by the open-wheel section by CART.

CART may have lost out to NASCAR on the home front, but the IRL was just never gonna make it. Tony George did nothing right.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

I cared a lot about the other races on the CART schedule. My dad said we would have gotten tickets to the race in Nazereth if they hadn't closed down.

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
jpm

Post by jpm »

News! Dreyer and Reinbold, HVM and Bryan Herta to Lotus... Which will Jean Alesi end up at?
Jeroen Krautmeir

jpm wrote:News! Dreyer and Reinbold, HVM and Bryan Herta to Lotus... Which will Jean Alesi end up at?

D&R is a maybe. They have Wilson, and usually run 1 or 2 Indy only entries, but I personally think they aim more towards Indy veterans (Hamilton, Scheckter) and pay-drivers (Beatriz). HVM is a one-car team and already have Simona onboard so I think we can cross that suggestion out. BH Autosport? Perhaps...

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

jpm wrote:News! Dreyer and Reinbold, HVM and Bryan Herta to Lotus... Which will Jean Alesi end up at?

Don't you mean Judd? ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Wait a second... if Dallara is so awful indeed, which you've given plenty of evidence of, how come they virtually have the monopoly on all classes of open-wheel racing below F1 (GP2, GP3, F3)? Does that mean all other European constructors are even worse?!
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
nome66

Post by nome66 »

no, it just means that Dallara has gobbs of money for no reason.
can't wait until lola steps in to f1

Jeroen Krautmeir

Waris wrote:Wait a second... if Dallara is so awful indeed, which you've given plenty of evidence of, how come they virtually have the monopoly on all classes of open-wheel racing below F1 (GP2, GP3, F3)? Does that mean all other European constructors are even worse?!

Dallara as a whole isn't awful, in short, only their Indy program is.

First of all Dr. Gianpaulo Dallara apparently knows jack about ground effects aerodynamics, having just missed that era in Formula One. Hence, his designs for the League up to the current design all had “flat bottom” undertrays (minus venturi tunnels and diffuser[s]) similar to 1990’s F1 cars. However, one look at the designs in F1 discloses that Dallara also didn’t use any of the tricks used by GP designers to simulate ground-effects aero (e.g. raised noses, “stepped” undertrays, diffusers, barge boards, etc.). As a result, generally speaking, the 2003-2011 Dallaras had a large, flat wing underpinning the design that was just looking for a reason to fly.

This basic tendency was helped along immeasurably by certain compromises that Tony George and his technical “advisors” insisted were added to the design. For example, the infamous Xtrac longitudinal transmission/transaxle that destabilized the car and caused so many back injuries in the League. Essentially, this antiquated piece of hardware – designed most of all to be a cheap alternative to CART’s expensive F1-style transverse transaxles and a component that George had exclusive control of – caused the cars’ center of gravity (engines placed high and their weight toward the rear) and polar moment of inertia (I’m out of my depth here) to move rearward so that the design was unstable and had a tendency (we’ve seen hundreds of times) to snap spin and arrow rear-end first into the nearest immoveable (wall) or moveable (other car) object. Hence, the end of the Xtrac was usually the first solid component of the car to impact the obstacle – the rear wheels and suspension components quickly breaking away. Since the first iteration of this el-cheapo transmission had a rigid case, it meant that the full force of the car’s rear impact with, say, a wall was transmitted through the solid transmission case, through the solid engine block, to the solid bulkhead to which the driver’s rigid seat and non-rigid spine was attached. Voila! Instant broken back!

The first attempted fix was to affix a bumper pad (attenuator) to the back of the Xtrac case – which was a bit like putting a cotton pad band-aid on the head of a battering ram. Next came a series of metallurgical and design changes to the Xtrac case to make it softer and more likely to fold up under severe impact (thereby absorbing a portion of the force of impact). The long ever-growing list of League drivers with broken backs and/or spinal injuries demonstrate that the changes weren’t very effective.

The most obvious solution to the Xtrac problem was to specify a new, better designed transaxle; maybe even one of the more costly transverse ones. However, for reasons known only to the penny-pinching, heartless Hulman-Georges, this was never done (possibly over concern for personal injury claims arising from the old design). Instead, Xtrac was prevailed upon to create a more “compact” longitudinal design with tighter-packed gears which, nonetheless requires a sizeable attenuator and is still breaking backs at a barely diminished rate.

Don’t look now but the new 2012 Dallara employs yet another of the Xtrac longitudinal transaxles – probably the latest one used on the eight-year-old cars – and the big new safety features are an even bigger attenuator (bumper) stuck to its rear and the “speedway” bodywork bumpers on the oval cars. It is more than probable that the 2012 car will exhibit the same rearward bias and injury rate of the old cars; albeit lessened to an unknown degree by the effectiveness of the new car’s untried ground-effects aerodynamics.

Anyone who has watched the “evolution” of the current Dallara is aware that the design’s original, relatively tiny “speedway” wings were replaced with massive “snow plow” ones at the time of unexplained flying cars and the resulting death, injuries and panic circa 2004. About the same time the League mandated lower engine displacement (hopefully dropping the cars’ velocity below take-off speeds), cut the back off the cars’ air boxes (to reduce lift), and put strakes and/or air dams down the middle of the cars (top and bottom to try to keep them headed in a straight line). I was told that the reason for the snow-plow front wings was that Dallara and folks like Penske were using an old speedway aero trick: namely, they were using the extended noses of the cars to place tiny speedway wings as far forward on the nose as possible to take advantage of its “lever” effect. [Referencing Archimedes’ comment that: “Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand and I can move the world.”] The concept is that the longer the lever (is from the fulcrum point) the less force is needed to apply a given force; so the long needle nose of the Dallara was the lever and the small force needed was supplied by the limited downforce of the tiny front wings (with low drag).

The problem was that the Dallaras had a massive amount of downforce being applied at the fulcrum and behind it by the cars’ absolutely humongous “barn door” multi-segment rear wings (which were needed for the downforce to keep the flat-bottomed chassis on the ground). This added another sizeable amount of rear bias to the already “tail heavy” cars. Since the front wings were adding such a relatively small amount of downforce to the front of the cars, all it took was for the nose of the car to be slightly elevated (e.g. running over a piece of debris) and the “angle of attack” of the front wings changed, causing them to go neutral or generate lift rather than their intended downforce. Voila! The massively tail-heavy car’s nose rotated around its fulcrum and took off (aided in its flight by the de facto big wing of the undertray). Thus, the new larger front wings were designed to seal the gap between the wing's trailing edge and the front tires and add extra downforce to the nose of the car.

The bottom line here is that the 2003-2011 Dallara were poorly designed and fatally flawed. In such a way, moreover, that nothing short of a complete redesign could fix the problem. Looking at the prototype of the 2012 Dallara I see almost all the same design features of the old cars, slightly modified, except one: the car evidently has one of Dr. Dallara’s first attempts at a ground effects machine with shaped undertray venturi tunnels, diffuser(s), and a raised nose. This is probably why eye-witnesses say a DP-01 was present at all the early tests of the new Dallara (limited though they were). The testers are probably comparing the performance of the ground-effects DP-01 to their own design as a test of how close to (or far from) the mark they are. In fact, it is not inconceivable that the Dallara is using a copy of the DP-01 undertray or one from the last generation of ground-effects Champcars (Lola, Reyard, Swift, Eagle, Penske); that’s what I would do if I were in their shoes and Cotman is not above being a copycat.

Make no mistake about it, Dallara do deserve their monopoly in the 'lower' classes of open-wheel racing, but do keep in mind that all these cars are flat-bottom cars, and so is the HRT F110, which, isn't too bad a design, just awfully underdeveloped. Also, the reverse of this has also been shown, albeit without so many disastrous (as in, back breaking and fatal) aspects. Just take a look at Reynard's BAR chassis' of 1999 to 2001 and Lolas rejectful T93 and T97 of which this site proudly celebrates.

nome66

Post by nome66 »

but we also have this pile

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Any progress on the car not sucking yet?
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
nome66

Post by nome66 »

we don't know yet. let's pray lotus gives us the slightest glimmer of hope.
also, why did they postpone the aero kits to 2013? i mean that's the thing that will save dallara. i'm sure of it.
multiple motors, more than one aero package. come on!
at least different packages for the three different engines until they decide to let in more designs!

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

F1000X wrote:Any progress on the car not sucking yet?

According to Robin Miller (who is usually a very credible source, even when he's trolling), they've sorted out the balance problem (not the speed problem, though... :().

Takuma Sato is switching teams, meaning he's probably going to drive for Rahal Letterman... http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... -for-2012/

golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

nome66 wrote:
Cynon wrote:

The UK would have to air NASCAR and even make a NASCAR Series in the country. :lol:
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

golic_2004 wrote:
nome66 wrote:
Cynon wrote:Imagine an F1 with no British drivers in winning (or even close-to-winning cars). Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public...

The UK would have to air NASCAR and even make a NASCAR Series in the country. :lol:

We already have one, it's called the BTCC.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

The best news I have read in a while in that there will be no more TGBB in race control :D .

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... adt-fired/
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:
nome66 wrote:[quote="Cynon"Imagine an F1 with no British drivers in winning (or even close-to-winning cars). Or with no drivers from western Europe. Wonder how that would go with the F1 viewing public.../quote]
YYEEEEEHHHAAAWWWW :lol:[/quote]

The UK would have to air NASCAR and even make a NASCAR Series in the country. :lol:[/quote]

We already have one, it's called the BTCC.[/quote]

Judging by the amateurish driving I've seen in both categories, I could believe that comparison, too!

jpm

Post by jpm »

I got a retweet from RACER magazine on the Barnhardt issue; @RACERmag how about a commemmorative issue to mark the riddance of the monkey in the control tower? :D

On a completely unrelated note;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnDt2wE ... ure=relmfu

This actually made my life :P
nome66

Post by nome66 »

jpm wrote:I got a retweet from RACER magazine on the Barnhardt issue; @RACERmag how about a commemmorative issue to mark the riddance of the monkey in the control tower? :D

we should buy Mr. Brainfart ehem, excuse me, Barnhardt this t-shirt

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That is very sad news. One of the best out there, on a par with the likes of original Team Lotus, Tyrrell and Williams, but without the bad years at the end (although they haven't won since the end of ChampCar, I believe).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:

That is very sad news. One of the best out there, on a par with the likes of original Team Lotus, Tyrrell and Williams, but without the bad years at the end (although they haven't won since the end of ChampCar, I believe).

Just another step along the path to the death of IndyCar. I miss CART/ChampCar. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
jpm

Post by jpm »

Gutted. Hinch and Servia were turning their fortunes around after a rotten 2010 with a Japanese pay driver (hideki mutoh). The best non-Ganassi/ Penske team and ROTY winner? As well as 4x back to back title winners with Seabass? Awful, awful times for indycar. Lets just hope they can all join Michael Shank Racing or whatever they're called, who've been very quiet since announcing their intentions to enter at Vegas
nome66

Post by nome66 »

someone shoot Tony stewart an e-mail.
infact, i just might

deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

This is bad news indeed that one of the lynchpins of Indycar has to shutdown. Sad thing is that this was enviable after the death of Paul Newman a couple of years ago but I do think both Hinch and Servia will get rides for next season.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

cut the fenders off Stewart's championship winning stockcar and slap a turbo in there we gotta series to save

RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

nome66 wrote:cut the fenders off Stewart's championship winning stockcar and slap a turbo in there we gotta series to save

How to save Open-Wheel racing in America in 1 Step.

I LOVE IT.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

nome66 wrote:cut the fenders off Stewart's championship winning stockcar and slap a turbo in there we gotta series to save

There is a series that fits this description (minus the turbo), they're called Nascar modified. IIRC, these cars are actually faster around Bristol (and maybe Martinsville among other places) than Sprint cup cars because they run wider tires all around; I think 15 inches on each corner.

Imagine that on an F1/Indycar! For better or worse, that what I'd be interested in seeing the series moving toward; huge mechanical grip with teeny wings for high speed stability. Couple that with ultra-sticky temperamental tires and you'd be in for a show.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

yea i know about the Whelen Modified tour.
i was talking about him saving indycar

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

I'm not sure I totally agree with Pagenaud, his endurance racing stats are very good and I'm sure he has a good future in that category, but does his 8th place at Barber and meager results in Champcar count for all that much? Does he have money?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

F1000X wrote:I'm not sure I totally agree with Pagenaud, his endurance racing stats are very good and I'm sure he has a good future in that category, but does his 8th place at Barber and meager results in Champcar count for all that much? Does he have money?

Pagenaud is a favorite of Honda so that could be part of it. But I do rate Pagenaud highly because his other two races came literally at the last second and did fairly well and I think he will be good on road courses in 2012.
Jeroen Krautmeir

More light shed on the DW-12 by Marshall Pruett.

He blamed the current lack of performance of the new car on the Iconic committee.
He admitted that in hindsight, Iconic committee really blew it in regards to shaping the new car.
Marshall said that instead of designing a car that easily exceed the old Dallara and then dialing it back, the new car only aimed to match the old Dallara's performance and has come up woefully short.
It has only realized half of the promised weight loss and half of the promised aero improvements.
The engines are not the problem. Their performance would have been fine if the chassis did what it was promised to do.
But now with unexpected weight gain and lack of aero improvements, the engines are inadequate to deliver "badass" performance.
He was then asked, are all these problems due to the fact cost cutting was one of the major objective?
Marshall claimed not really. It was more the problem of bad rules, bad designs and bad concepts.
For example, he claims the engine manufacturers (honda especially) are spending upwards of 20-30 million to develop this engine.
They are not going to be happy having their new engines perceived to be weak and inadequate when in reality, they delivered but the chassis did not.
Some test drivers are already looking forward to the car that will replace DW-12.

I get the sense that the Indycar had this one great chance to come up with a game changer. Instead of hitting a home-run or even a double, Indycar (especially Iconic committee) struck out looking.

Depressing to listen to.

What's totally ironic is how the IRL bashed up Champ Car on its new DP01 back in 2007 just because of a few reliability issues. If the present problems are not fixed before May, there is the rather embarrassing prospect of the OWR cars being slower than the NASCAR cars at Indianapolis.

And here's Dr. Tremmel on the new car's safety:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

"The car was not built [with] all the safety innovations that we'd hoped for,"