Sucess of F1 rejects in other series

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
sailer 99

Sucess of F1 rejects in other series

Post by sailer 99 »

I think the reject drivers who suceed in other series should be acknowledged by someone.
So the first sucess will be Justin Wilson who won the indy car walkins glen indy.
The best driver is the one who can drive past a first corner crash not be in front of it
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sucess of F1 rejects in other series

Post by shinji »

Deletraz in FIA GT of course has been a PHENOMENON...

No one else matters beyond that IMO.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Olivier Beretta was very successful in sportscars wasn't he.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Marc Gene and David Brabham won Le Mans 24 Hours this year with Franck Montagny, Sebastien Bourdais and Stephane Sarrazin in second and Alan McNish 3rd and Tomas Enge 4th. Sportscars seem suited to F1 Rejectees, don't they?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

Just look at Indycar/CART/IRL.

F1 rejects tend to make their home on there.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Not a reject at all, but Alain Prost has made his name in the Andros Trophy.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
kaiserfranz

Post by kaiserfranz »

Been lurking for months, now finally got around to registering. Woohoo.
Anyway, Bernd Schneider surely needs to be named. He is the most successful DTM driver of all time and just last year finally retired.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

kaiserfranz wrote:Been lurking for months, now finally got around to registering. Woohoo.
Anyway, Bernd Schneider surely needs to be named. He is the most successful DTM driver of all time and just last year finally retired.

On a similar note
Jo Winckelhock BTCC '93 and Gabriele Tarquini in '94
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yannick Dalmas won Le Mans 3 times of course.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

watka wrote:Yannick Dalmas won Le Mans 3 times of course.

Four actually.

Who can forget Alex Zanardi?
Life w12

Post by Life w12 »

Ricardo Zonta won the Grand-Am race in New Jersey this year
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Michael Bartels, the former Lotus driver, most popularly known the wide world over as the former boyfriend of tennis great Steffi Graf, won races and podiums in DTM for Alfa during the 90s, mainly on the German airfield circuits that were still in use at the time. Recently, he has either won an FIA-GT title or came close.
He clearly seems to be doing better in cars with roofs.

Bernd Schneider of course is THE MAN in DTM, but even he suffered from bad luck and unreliability in the first 2 years after he had entered the series.

By the way, Scott Speed, who recently won ARCA, is starting from P2 in this weekend's Sprint Cup NASCAR race. It'll be interesting to find out at what position he finishes the race, because his teammate is starting from pole.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Scott Speed in NASCAR is hardly something I'd call success. He SMASHED the field last year in a NASCAR truck race at Dover, and in a few ARCA races as well. Scott Speed lost the ARCA title last season because championship rival Ricky Stenhouse Jr. punted him at the final round of the series last season. An angered Speed wasn't going to let Stenhouse win the ARCA title, so he came back on the track and punted Stenhouse into the wall taking both of them out -- handing the title to the third place driver Justin Allgaier.

Scott Speed vs. Ricky Stenhouse

However, he embarrasingly failed to qualify at the road course in Sonoma and had to buy Joe Nemechek's car in order to race! Scott Speed has pretty much DNQ'd at all the tracks that require more driver skill -- Darlington, Infineon, etcetera...

How did he do in tonight's race at Chicagoland Speedway (as a Chicagoan, I must say that track is in New Lenox, Illinois, but it is listed as being in Joliet because that's where its post box is...)?

Well... 36th -- after being involved in a crash late in the race -- but even then he was two laps down and way, way off the pace, while teammate Brian Vickers had a chance to win the race. So "Success" and "Scott Speed in NASCAR" should never come close to each other without the word "Not" in there somewhere.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I have to say well done to Scott for wrekcing Stenhouse there, that was an obvious attempt by Stenhouse to put Speed in the wall. And I'm glad neither won the championship, because I don't really like Scott Speed much either.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
wombat

Post by wombat »

should be start a thread for F1 rejects that are also rejects in other series - Ralf Schumacher springs to mind
---------------------------------------------------
going bacwards up the escape road at Amaroo park hillclimb in a Brabham Holbay is enough to convince you that you are a F1 (or F3) reject
sailer 99

Post by sailer 99 »

Speaking of sucess in NASCAR how about montoya blowin a win at indy
The best driver is the one who can drive past a first corner crash not be in front of it
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pedro Lamy has accumulated success in various competitions since he left Minardi, including the FIA-GT2 championship, V8-Star in Germany, Nurburgring 24 Hours (old track) and other assorted successes in endurance, driving for Aston Martin and Peugeot. Besides, this week he almost won the Spa 24 hours in a Maserati, until a wheel shattered. Damn Italian cars! :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
rffp

Post by rffp »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Pedro Lamy has accumulated success in various competitions since he left Minardi, including the FIA-GT2 championship, V8-Star in Germany, Nurburgring 24 Hours (old track) and other assorted successes in endurance, driving for Aston Martin and Peugeot. Besides, this week he almost won the Spa 24 hours in a Maserati, until a wheel shattered. Damn Italian cars! :lol:

What about Diogo Castro Santos? I remember that he quit racing for golf. Was he successful there?
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

rffp wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Pedro Lamy has accumulated success in various competitions since he left Minardi, including the FIA-GT2 championship, V8-Star in Germany, Nurburgring 24 Hours (old track) and other assorted successes in endurance, driving for Aston Martin and Peugeot. Besides, this week he almost won the Spa 24 hours in a Maserati, until a wheel shattered. Damn Italian cars! :lol:

What about Diogo Castro Santos? I remember that he quit racing for golf. Was he successful there?

Excellent question. I suppose we'll have to log on to PGATour_rejects.com/forum to find out. :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Raul Boesel - quite successful in CART, now established as a DJ in Brazil!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
rffp

Post by rffp »

midgrid wrote:Raul Boesel - quite successful in CART, now established as a DJ in Brazil!

Hmm, I will disagree and qualify that as an overstatement. His performance in CART was way better than what he did in F-1, although still his performances for Dick Simon Rent-A-Car were not bad, his spell at Green was disappointing.

Better luck at being a DJ!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned Alex Yoong's successes in A1GP.

Larry Perkins in V8 Supercars.

Eric van de Poele's forays into sports car racing (especially the Spa 1,000km event, how many of these has he won now?).
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

He doesn't have a F1 Rejects profile, but is certainly eligible for one, Gianmaria Bruni is one helluva sportscar racer now. Him and Toni Vilander are pretty much an unstoppable duo in FIA GT. Plus he was team-mate to Mika Salo when he won the GT2 class of the Le Mans 24 Hours this year too :D
I'd probably vote him 2nd most successful reject behind Pedro Lamy (who also doesn't have a profile??).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

minrdi wrote:Eric van de Poele's forays into sports car racing (especially the Spa 1,000km event, how many of these has he won now?).

I'm not sure if Eric has won that particular race, but he's been a master of the 24 hour event. Along with Bruni, Tomas Enge has been a fine sports car driver of note.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
minrdi

Post by minrdi »

Apologies, I meant the 24Hr - my bad!
"The advantage of jumping the start is that you can get away a lot quicker." - Murray Walker

Editor, Richard's F1
Visit my F1 website at http://richardsf1.com
Exclusive news, reviews and interviews for F1, IndyCar, V8 Supercars and the WTCC
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

shinji wrote:Deletraz in FIA GT of course has been a PHENOMENON...

I wonder if Deletraz is entered as the professional driver or the "gentleman racer" who pays for their drive. For those who are not familiar to FIA GT3, there is a medal system . Gold means the driver is pretty good but not great, so no Schumachers allowed. Silver means the driver is okay and Bronze is the typical pay driver. Each team must have either a Gold and a Bronze or two Silvers.I'm leaning towards the Bronze for Deletraz. (he is the only reason why I watch FIA GT)
This is a cool spot.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

MinardiFan95 wrote:

I wonder if Deletraz is entered as the professional driver or the "gentleman racer" who pays for their drive. For those who are not familiar to FIA GT3, there is a medal system . Gold means the driver is pretty good but not great, so no Schumachers allowed. Silver means the driver is okay and Bronze is the typical pay driver. Each team must have either a Gold and a Bronze or two Silvers.I'm leaning towards the Bronze for Deletraz. (he is the only reason why I watch FIA GT)
If I'm not mistaken he owns First Racing which he raced under for a while. He would fall somewhere in between, I assume.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

MinardiFan95 wrote:

This explains why Allan Simonsen is always stuck with Hector Lester for a co-driver in British GT then... :/
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I was reading through a 2004 V8 supercars program and happened to see Alex Yoong in the entry list for the second tier category (now known as the Fujitsu Series). Alex didnt do too well in the V8's but he was in a quite old car. And to think that I had seen a F1 reject racing at an event I had attended and didnt even know about it (until now). His short and unsuccessful stint in the V8's also qualifies him as a V8 Supercars Reject.
This is a cool spot.
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Jean-Louis Schlesser has had a lot of success in the Dakar rallies, including back-to-back wins (in a team he owned, managed as well as drove for!) Not bad going for a guy who was in his 50's at the time.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Pacifics only fan wrote:Jean-Louis Schlesser has had a lot of success in the Dakar rallies, including back-to-back wins (in a team he owned, managed as well as drove for!) Not bad going for a guy who was in his 50's at the time.

And don't forget they designed and built the cars as well. I think they only bought engines and transmissions outside the team.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Pacifics only fan

Post by Pacifics only fan »

Good point, I'd actually forgotten about that.. :oops: