The 2012 Pre-Season testing thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
QuickYoda41

Re: The 2012 Pre-Season testing thread

Post by QuickYoda41 »

It's easy: wherever Petrov is that team is NOT Lotus. ;)
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

The true Team Lotus died in 1994. Any Lotus F1 Team since then is fake.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mario

Post by mario »

Sounds like a few slight concerns from Ferrari's quarters about the F2012 - although Alonso has been downplaying some of the concerns that have been raised about the car, he has admitted to Autosport that, as was rumoured at Jerez, they are struggling a little with the behaviour of the car on the exit of corners.
"Sometimes we put a very old set of tyres on and do constant speeds, and in the corners you are extremely slow. At the same time another car is running with new tyres and a short run of fuel and they fly in the corners. So from the outside it is difficult to see. But it is one area we need to improve: [the] exit of corners is one area where we are struggling, yes."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97633

Given that Ferrari have completely overhauled their suspension layout - from push to pull rods at both ends of the car - it might be the case that they are struggling with set up problems? Either way, it sounds as if Ferrari aren't entirely satisfied with their radical concept...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Whenever I read "Lotus" I can't avoid thinking about Fernandes team.

I'm still struggling with that. I have to refer to the photos attached to each article to figure out to whom they are referring.

I've been using Caterham and calling them that ever since Fernandes bought it and put the name on F1 cars. It was easy. ;)

Oh, I have no problem in remembering that team as The-Caterham-Formerly-Known-As-Lotus, it's just that the Enstone team are still Renault to me... :oops: :?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
ElizabethSterling

Post by ElizabethSterling »

Whippersnapper. They'll always be Benetton to me, and not that Mild 7 liveried one either! Lawn green and camel yellow all the way! (Okay, so they only used that livery for three years but it's still iconic to me.)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'll call them "Lotus", just for the sake of precision. They're obviously not the Colin Chapman-spawned team.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Why do I have a feeling that Ferrari is going to endure a 2009 McLaren season with their MP4/24 back then? Alonso might help them, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't make it into Q3 at Melbourne. Who knows, they might be competitive still, but I have a feeling about this.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I refer to the former Renault/Benetton team as 'Group Bahar', and I started to refer to Team Lotus as 'Caterham' in September...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ElizabethSterling wrote:Whippersnapper. They'll always be Benetton to me, and not that Mild 7 liveried one either! Lawn green and camel yellow all the way! (Okay, so they only used that livery for three years but it's still iconic to me.)

Who's the whippersnapper? I was half-tempted to refer to them as Toleman in my last post...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I would surely just be easier if neither team were actually called "Lotus". Why they can't just be Renault and Caterham (and Caterham should have called themselves that from 2010) I'll never know.

While they're at it, some new teams should come along and call themselves Tyrrell or Brabham or something. ;-)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

James1978 wrote:I would surely just be easier if neither team were actually called "Lotus". Why they can't just be Renault and Caterham (and Caterham should have called themselves that from 2010) I'll never know.

While they're at it, some new teams should come along and call themselves Tyrrell or Brabham or something. ;-)

If Renault was Renault now, Lotus would be Lotus now, if you know what I mean :lol:
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Failing that, Ferrari takes Toro Rosso off Red Bull's hands and renames the team Maserati. "And our 2013 challenger will be called... the 251F!" In other news, McLaren extend their "technical partnership" with Force India and Marussia and rename them Vanwall and Cooper - or, if they want to create some true British/Indian and British/Russian collaborations, it'd have to be something like Hindustan and LDV...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:
James1978 wrote:I would surely just be easier if neither team were actually called "Lotus". Why they can't just be Renault and Caterham (and Caterham should have called themselves that from 2010) I'll never know.

If Renault was Renault now, Lotus would be Lotus now, if you know what I mean :lol:

I know that you know that I know that mostly everybody knows what you meant although if Lotus was now Lotus instead of Lotus because Lotus never became Lotus in order to sue Lotus for the use of the Lotus name, that joke wouldn't work. ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James1978 wrote:While they're at it, some new teams should come along and call themselves Tyrrell or Brabham or something. ;-)

That will undoubtedly happen, Im sure some time ago Volkswagen were considering entering F1 with the Bugatti marque. The sky is surely the limit.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute.

What are Marussia playing at? I thought the purpose of them being at this test with the 2011 clunker was to give Charles Pic some track time. So why have they got Timo Glock driving today in a car he already knows and, presumably, hates?
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

CoopsII wrote:
James1978 wrote:While they're at it, some new teams should come along and call themselves Tyrrell or Brabham or something. ;-)

That will undoubtedly happen, Im sure some time ago Volkswagen were considering entering F1 with the Bugatti marque. The sky is surely the limit.

I don't believe anything I read regarding VW-Audi and F1 anymore, there have been so many rumours and none of them have proved to have any substance.

Regarding reviving team names, when F1 Rejects "submitted" an entry into F1 for 2010 (or was it 2011?) they did so under the F1 Rejects name, but given recent trends perhaps next time Jamie and Enoch should try and acquire the rights to a reject team, like Andrea Moda or Eurobrun.

Also someone needs to revive the Minardi name, maybe when Mateschitz finally decides to unload Torro Rosso....
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dinizintheoven wrote:Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute.

What are Marussia playing at? I thought the purpose of them being at this test with the 2011 clunker was to give Charles Pic some track time. So why have they got Timo Glock driving today in a car he already knows and, presumably, hates?

Says on Autosport he's been conducting tests with the new 2012 Pirelli tyres, and with the baselines they have already with the MVR-02, I guess it's not a bad idea.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Reverend has topped the times today in Catalunya. Probably the only time he'll be top of something this season...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

East Londoner wrote:The Reverend has topped the times today in Catalunya. Probably the only time he'll be top of something this season...

Logical consequence: this year's Williams sucks just as bad as last year's. Welp. :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

IdeFan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I don't believe anything I read regarding VW-Audi and F1 anymore, there have been so many rumours and none of them have proved to have any substance.

Regarding reviving team names, when F1 Rejects "submitted" an entry into F1 for 2010 (or was it 2011?) they did so under the F1 Rejects name, but given recent trends perhaps next time Jamie and Enoch should try and acquire the rights to a reject team, like Andrea Moda or Eurobrun.

Also someone needs to revive the Minardi name, maybe when Mateschitz finally decides to unload Torro Rosso....

As I understand the situation, Giancarlo Minardi holds most of the rights to name a motor sport team "Minardi", having reacquired the rights prior to the sale of Minardi to Red Bull. However, Paul Stoddart does still hold some of the rights to the Minardi marque, provided that the team is registered within the UK, and he has occasionally used the name after the Minardi F1 team was sold (HVM Racing used the name "Minardi Team USA" in 2007 when co-owned by Stoddart, though the underdog association with the name soon vanished after they started picking up podiums and wins).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

mario wrote:As I understand the situation, Giancarlo Minardi holds most of the rights to name a motor sport team "Minardi", having reacquired the rights prior to the sale of Minardi to Red Bull. However, Paul Stoddart does still hold some of the rights to the Minardi marque, provided that the team is registered within the UK, and he has occasionally used the name after the Minardi F1 team was sold (HVM Racing used the name "Minardi Team USA" in 2007 when co-owned by Stoddart, though the underdog association with the name soon vanished after they started picking up podiums and wins).

What's Stoddy doing these days anyway? I haven't heard any "Paul Stoddart is making a bid for an F1 team" rumors recently.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tristan1117 wrote:
mario wrote:As I understand the situation, Giancarlo Minardi holds most of the rights to name a motor sport team "Minardi", having reacquired the rights prior to the sale of Minardi to Red Bull. However, Paul Stoddart does still hold some of the rights to the Minardi marque, provided that the team is registered within the UK, and he has occasionally used the name after the Minardi F1 team was sold (HVM Racing used the name "Minardi Team USA" in 2007 when co-owned by Stoddart, though the underdog association with the name soon vanished after they started picking up podiums and wins).

What's Stoddy doing these days anyway? I haven't heard any "Paul Stoddart is making a bid for an F1 team" rumors recently.

That's because he's probably secretly planning a raid on Williams F1 shares :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

East Londoner wrote:The Reverend has topped the times today in Catalunya. Probably the only time he'll be top of something this season...

There was probably a supercharger on the back of the car. Even in pre-season testing I'm still surprised it even got remotely close to the top of the charts.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

I'm thinking that it's showboating at its absolute best :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

Wizzie wrote:I'm thinking that it's showboating at its absolute best :lol:

Or he didn't want to be beaten by Valtteri Bottas. After all, #BOTTAS is topping the trending topic in the UK. :lol:
Peter

Post by Peter »

The fact that EBD's and Engine Mappings are banned would already close the gap considerably between Williams and the rest of the midfielders. I think they will do better this year. It couldn't possibly get any worse from last year, or so I want to hope.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
mario

Post by mario »

Peter wrote:The fact that EBD's and Engine Mappings are banned would already close the gap considerably between Williams and the rest of the midfielders. I think they will do better this year. It couldn't possibly get any worse from last year, or so I want to hope.

Speaking of exhaust blowing, it seems that the FIA are tightening the regulations even further in that area - they are reporting that another team had discovered a method by which the volume of gas exiting the exhausts could be increased by circumventing the limits on opening and closing the throttle. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97662
Although there is no evidence that any teams are currently using that particular method at the moment, the FIA is already modifying the standard ECU software to prevent that particular loophole being exploited. It is not as drastic as the changes the FIA imposed last year, though Mark Gillan has confirmed that the FIA will be preparing a few short technical directives to stop the teams pushing things too far, but little changes like that should help out a slightly more conservative team like Williams.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

CoopsII wrote:

Presumably, copyright in the Tyrrell name as an F1 team resides in the back of a filing cabinet somewhere at Mercedes F1 headquarters in Brackley.

I have read - although I have no idea how true this is - that after Honda pulled out of the sport and Ross Brawn was putting together the efforts to keep the team going, they did briefly give some consideration to reverting to the "Tyrrell" name.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Its being reported that Mercedes are offering MSC another 2 years after this one. Im sure that will rile many members here but I for one think its a great news. Its offering something I wouldnt necessarily expect from the tuetonic titans and that is a bit of romance, a bit of a story, a bit of a Happy Ending. They want MSC to win (as do I) for symmetry and to make a bad thing good (as Rastamouse would say) and, lets face it, what a feel-good story that would make.

So I will continue to cheer on The Old Enemy, just dont tell Damon.........
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Its being reported that Mercedes are offering MSC another 2 years after this one. Im sure that will rile many members here but I for one think its a great news. Its offering something I wouldnt necessarily expect from the tuetonic titans and that is a bit of romance, a bit of a story, a bit of a Happy Ending. They want MSC to win (as do I) for symmetry and to make a bad thing good (as Rastamouse would say) and, lets face it, what a feel-good story that would make.

So I will continue to cheer on The Old Enemy, just dont tell Damon.........

Well, as far ass I'm concerned, this ought to be in the Unpopular Opinions thread. I respect the guy for all the records he's set in terms of wins, championships, etc. that he's scored, but I will forever associate him with Adelaide 1994, Jerez 1997, Monaco 2006, Austria 2002, Hungary 2010, etc.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Hate the sin, not the sinner. TBH I agree with all your associations, anybody watching F1 since 1991 would do the same. I want him to win because I think F1 will be the better for it. He may even sign off with some attempt at redemption for his history.
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

If he signs that contract extension, Schumacher sure is one pathetic bloke - for someone supposedly not caring about records, he sure is willing to deal with a lot to get that most seasons in F1 record.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Klon wrote:Schumacher sure is one pathetic bloke - for someone supposedly not caring about records, he sure is willing to deal with a lot to get that most seasons in F1 record.

The only reason why he wants that record is because of Barrichello. In his mind, no record should belong to Rubens.

And I don't believe that he will attempt any redemption for his historical behaviour. That only happens in movies. His competitive and ruthless approach don't allow that. Example: Hungary 2010, doing a very dangerous manoeuvre for no good reason. You can also think of his borderline defence against Hamilton last year.
Last edited by DanielPT on 24 Feb 2012, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

DanielPT wrote:The only reason why he wants that record is because of Barrichello. In his mind, not record should belong to Rubens

The sad thing is I actually believe that. :(
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:Hate the sin, not the sinner. TBH I agree with all your associations, anybody watching F1 since 1991 would do the same. I want him to win because I think F1 will be the better for it. He may even sign off with some attempt at redemption for his history.

A principle in life that I genuinely try to live by. It's just that, in Schumacher's case, it is hard to get round that prejudice. I hope that Mercedes build a competitive car. But so that Rosberg can win...

OK, so I won't mind if Schumacher wins one or two races. Maybe. But only if Rosberg wins more. Plus I am a bit prejudiced that way again because of who won the championship in the year that I was born...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:The only reason why he wants that record is because of Barrichello. In his mind, no record should belong to Rubens.

That is a nonsense. I love Rubens (not in that way, I dont think... :? ) but that record is valueless, one for TV commentators to use to fill a quiet lap with. Its a record that I doubt Riccardo Patrese was dining out on until recently. I think winning is the thing and to be honest he ought to be happy with a few of them, I cant see another championship on his horizon.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I suppose there's one major milestone that Herr Schuntmaker may always have had his eye on; should Merc build him a competitive car, if he can get nine wins out of it, that'll be three figures. Get eleven wins out of it, and he'll have twice as many as Alain Prost, currently his nearest competitor (but I suspect The Finger will have something to say about that).
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dinizintheoven wrote:I suppose there's one major milestone that Herr Schuntmaker may always have had his eye on; should Merc build him a competitive car, if he can get nine wins out of it, that'll be three figures. Get eleven wins out of it, and he'll have twice as many as Alain Prost, currently his nearest competitor (but I suspect The Finger will have something to say about that).

I think that record will stand for a very long time. Yes, The Finger has time on his side, but doing the sort of domination that Schumacher did on his heyday is harder. First, he has better competition and second, the signs are that both FIA and FOM are not interested to let F1 go that way. This whole banning thing is to erase some advantage that a winning team (the double diffuser and the blown diffuser bans/ technical rules rewrite happened without any real justification other than to hamper top teams and even out the field) can have. Besides, we will have a major rule revamp in 2014 and that usually changes the pecking order which became established in recent years (RBR, McLaren and Ferrari). If Seb can survive all this, then no doubt he will be the closest to Schumacher staggering numbers.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Klon wrote:If he signs that contract extension, Schumacher sure is one pathetic bloke - for someone supposedly not caring about records, he sure is willing to deal with a lot to get that most seasons in F1 record.

Maybe he just loves doing F1?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

fjackdaw wrote:
Klon wrote:If he signs that contract extension, Schumacher sure is one pathetic bloke - for someone supposedly not caring about records, he sure is willing to deal with a lot to get that most seasons in F1 record.

Maybe he just loves doing F1?

No, that is too rational. Can't be rational when he's going for Barrichello's record. Must embrace the hate. ;) :mrgreen: