If things were banned based on aesthetics...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tzerof1

If things were banned based on aesthetics...

Post by tzerof1 »

All throughout F1 history, designers have come up with various ugly and ungainly looking devices to try and eke out an advantage over the competition. Many have been banned. Some should be or should have been banned. But to the best of my knowledge nothing's ever been banned, just purely on the grounds of aesthetics alone.

So my question is: if things were able to be banned just on aesthetics alone, what would you ban? Anything from 1950-now is fair game...

I'll start off with an easy one and say the tower wings from 1997/98.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
ibsey

Re: If things were banned based on aesthetics...

Post by ibsey »

EJ shirts along with Alain Prost's nose :lol:

No Seriously probably all those extra aero parts that started springing up on F1 cars bodywork since c. 2000. Especially Honda's Dumbo wings in 2008. Yuck, I feel dirty just thinking about them!

For me F1 cars should look sleek like they did between 1990 - 1999.

tzerof1 wrote:But to the best of my knowledge nothing's ever been banned, just purely on the grounds of aesthetics alone.

BTW I think the Tower wings (aka X wings) that you mentioned were banned, mainly on the grounds of aesthetics. The safety aspect of it falling off the cars, was really just a convenient excuse to help get rid of them.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The Ferrari F310. Full stop, new paragraph :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

ibsey wrote:EJ shirts along with Alain Prost's nose :lol:

No Seriously probably all those extra aero parts that started springing up on F1 cars bodywork since c. 2000. Especially Honda's Dumbo wings in 2008. Yuck, I feel dirty just thinking about them!

For me F1 cars should look sleek like they did between 1990 - 1999.

BTW I think the Tower wings (aka X wings) that you mentioned were banned, mainly on the grounds of aesthetics. The safety aspect of it falling off the cars, was really just a convenient excuse to help get rid of them.

Oh I know right! Those dumbo wings left me asking: is that really the best you could come up with Honda/ Ross Brawn? And also: How many zillions of pounds were spent developing them?

And about the tower wings I had heard some theories suspecting as much...also that Bernie Ecclestone himself may have pushed for the ban. :lol:
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Wizzie wrote:The Ferrari F310. Full stop, new paragraph :lol:

Haha! For sure. I daresay John Barnard could pen some ugly machines :lol:
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

The Ensign N179
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

tommykl wrote:The Ensign N179

That is for sure right up there in the "butt-ugly, desperately slow" stakes. Makes this year's 'platypus' noses look like high quality art! :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tommykl wrote:Image
The Ensign N179

Those front air intakes, look like they would make a great BBQ grill, for any roadkill collected during the race. :P

Also I didn't care much for the look of grooved 'slick' tyres from 1998 - 2009.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Eifelland had the glorious periscope mirror located in front of the driver. To the best of my knowlegde that was never actually banned but clearly shouldve been.

Some cars in 1998 looked good with the x-wings I thought. Prost and Ferrari were two of them. But they looked awful on the Sauber, Tyrrell and Jordan cars. I think the livery used by the teams swayed my decision if they looked good or not. I'll let you lot judge:

Tyrrell: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... .1l5l0#i=4

Sauber: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... l5l0#i=104

Ferrari: http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch ... ih=208#i=3
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

If I had my way, all the cars would either look like the Brawn BGP001, or from 1994-2000.

The 1983 Ligier should never have been allowed to take to the track. Cars without sidepods look ridiculous.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianSutil wrote:Eifelland had the glorious periscope mirror located in front of the driver. To the best of my knowlegde that was never actually banned but clearly shouldve been.

Some cars in 1998 looked good with the x-wings I thought. Prost and Ferrari were two of them. But they looked awful on the Sauber, Tyrrell and Jordan cars. I think the livery used by the teams swayed my decision if they looked good or not. I'll let you lot judge:

Tyrrell: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... .1l5l0#i=4

Sauber: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cl ... l5l0#i=104

Ferrari: http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch ... ih=208#i=3

You might want to change those links, as when I clicked on them it defaulted to the Google Image search home page.

As to the ban on the X-wings themselves, whilst some might have objected on the grounds of aesthetics there were also some valid safety complaints. I believe that there was an accident in pre-season testing when a fuel line ended up catching on one of those X-wings during a practise pit stop, and there were complaints from the medical teams that the X-wings made it more awkward for them to access the cockpit area, particularly if they needed to lift a driver out of the cockpit.

There were similar complaints when Williams turned up a few years ago with vertical fins either side of the cockpit on the FW31, which the FIA took a strong exception to because of access problems for medical workers and promptly banned.

ibsey wrote:No Seriously probably all those extra aero parts that started springing up on F1 cars bodywork since c. 2000. Especially Honda's Dumbo wings in 2008. Yuck, I feel dirty just thinking about them.

What about the vertical fins that the BMW Sauber team ran in the 2006 French GP?
Predictably, those were promptly banned by the FIA after that race, although they fitted in pretty much the same area where most teams placed various aero devices later on (like Honda's "Dumbo wings").

Mind you, speaking of wings in peculiar places, what about the front wing of the Theodore TY01? That seems to have drawn inspiration from the March 711's front wing mount.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:As to the ban on the X-wings themselves, whilst some might have objected on the grounds of aesthetics there were also some valid safety complaints. I believe that there was an accident in pre-season testing when a fuel line ended up catching on one of those X-wings during a practise pit stop, and there were complaints from the medical teams that the X-wings made it more awkward for them to access the cockpit area, particularly if they needed to lift a driver out of the cockpit.

From memory, Jean Alesi plucked one of those X-Wings off with an errant air hose after a pit stop in one of the early races as well.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

mario wrote:I believe that there was an accident in pre-season testing when a fuel line ended up catching on one of those X-wings during a practise pit stop,

Might as well correct you there. It was in fact Jean Alesi, in the Sauber that ran over an air gun during a pitstop at the 1998 Argentine GP. Afterwards you can clearly see him contiuning on despite only having one x-wing left on his car. Remarkably he finished 5th in that very race (his 2nd best result of that year after his 3rd place at Spa).

EDIT; Damn it. Wizzie beat me to posting that :evil:

Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I would ban the ugly nose of 2012 cars. ;)
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

That stupid big-enough-for-a-pumpkin-to-pass-through-it nosecone that BMW-Williams failed with a few years back, 2004 I think.
Just For One Day...
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

AdrianSutil wrote:Eifelland had the glorious periscope mirror located in front of the driver. To the best of my knowlegde that was never actually banned but clearly shouldve been.

It definitely should have been, what if that periscope detached and hit the driver? :(
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

East Londoner wrote:The 1983 Ligier should never have been allowed to take to the track. Cars without sidepods look ridiculous.

I daresay no one would dare to design such an ugly thing these days. :lol:
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

CoopsII wrote:That stupid big-enough-for-a-pumpkin-to-pass-through-it nosecone that BMW-Williams failed with a few years back, 2004 I think.

I believe it was called a "walrus nose" or something like that. And we all saw how well that worked out for them! :lol:
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:I would ban the ugly nose of 2012 cars. ;)

I was waiting for someone to say that :lol: :P
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Be grateful for the platypus noses, at least it isn't this:

...or this:

Not a fan of the mish-mash colour schemes either...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Be grateful for the platypus noses, at least it isn't this:
...or this:
not a fan of the mish-mash colour schemes either...

I know right! The Renault definitely wins "ugly duckling" award for 2009, that nose is so hideous. And funny you should mention the Forti FG02, it was quite ugly a far as 1996 cars went...though I have to say it's a lot better looking than the FG01 :lol:
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Be grateful for the platypus noses, at least it isn't this:

...or this:

Not a fan of the mish-mash colour schemes either...

What are you talking about? Neither are anywhere near as godawful as the Ferrari and Sauber noses. The Renault's sidepods, on the other hand...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Not a fan of the mish-mash colour schemes either...

What are you talking about? Neither are anywhere near as godawful as the Ferrari and Sauber noses. The Renault's sidepods, on the other hand...

Speaking of colour schemes and Sauber...I have to say the Sauber's colour scheme is rather unattractive as well as the nose.
wmetcalf68

Post by wmetcalf68 »

slowest_indian's car in his profile pic!
RIP Dan Wheldon #77
RIP Marco Simoncelli #58
RIP Sean Edwards
RIP Maria de Villota
Ataxia's take on the cool wall:
Ataxia wrote:Felipe, baby: Cool
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

wmetcalf68 wrote:slowest_indian's car in his profile pic!

That Prost wasn't all that bad!

But of "things" to be banned based on aesthetics, the list should contain facial hair... Or are we talking exclusively cars here?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:
wmetcalf68 wrote:slowest_indian's car in his profile pic!

That Prost wasn't all that bad!

The Ligier-derived JS45 wasn't a good looking car, the Prosts between 1998 and 2000 were things of beauty, with their metallic blue livery. Can't say the same thing for the AP04 though, quite a dull and unwieldy looking thing.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

dr-baker wrote:But of "things" to be banned based on aesthetics, the list should contain facial hair... Or are we talking exclusively cars here?

Well I did say anything... :lol: and anyone in particular you had in mind when you were thinking of facial hair (ie Nick Heidfeld)?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tzerof1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But of "things" to be banned based on aesthetics, the list should contain facial hair... Or are we talking exclusively cars here?

Well I did say anything... :lol: and anyone in particular you had in mind when you were thinking of facial hair (ie Nick Heidfeld)?

Heidfeld, Button, Hamilton, Liuzzi, Alonso's eyebrows, John Watson, Harald Ertl (although the last two were impressively bushy if I remember correctly)...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

dr-baker wrote:Heidfeld, Button, Hamilton, Liuzzi, Alonso's eyebrows, John Watson, Harald Ertl (although the last two were impressively bushy if I remember correctly)...

Siegfried Stohr, as I recall had quite the nest of facial hair as well..and what of Pedro Diniz's moustache? Graham Hill too if you like :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tzerof1 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Heidfeld, Button, Hamilton, Liuzzi, Alonso's eyebrows, John Watson, Harald Ertl (although the last two were impressively bushy if I remember correctly)...

Siegfried Stohr, as I recall had quite the nest of facial hair as well..and what of Pedro Diniz's moustache? Graham Hill too if you like :lol:

Jenks circa. 1986... now he was the master of facial hair. Even a famous female model, who's name I forget now, couldn't resist it's charms. Just watch the 1986 FIA season review, in the build up to the Belgium GP to see what I mean (when Clive James says "that Jenks is no craddle snatcher").

I think the extensions to the rear wings teams brought to tracks like Adia in 1994 was also fairly ugly. Then of course there is the dreaded Mclaren mid wing in 1995...

tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

ibsey wrote:Jenks circa. 1986... now he was the master of facial hair. Even a famous female model, who's name I forget now, couldn't resist it's charms. Just watch the 1986 FIA season review, in the build up to the Belgium GP to see what I mean (when Clive James says "that Jenks is no craddle snatcher").

I think the extensions to the rear wings teams brought to tracks like Adia in 1994 was also fairly ugly. Then of course there is the dreaded Mclaren mid wing in 1995...

Haha epic! And I never really understood that McLaren midwing...it really mutilated what would have been an otherwise reasonably attractive car.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The holes in the airboxes in 1994 (did they do that for safety reasons after Senna and Ratzenberger's deaths?) looked really stupid I thought. I seem to remember the Tyrrell one looking particularly terrible. The only one I liked was the Ferrari when they had the two holes in the side. Why didn't they just get rid of the airboxes altogether?

Also the shape of the airboxes on the Benetton and Ligier in early 1995 - they sorted them out mid-season.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

James1978 wrote:The holes in the airboxes in 1994 (did they do that for safety reasons after Senna and Ratzenberger's deaths?) looked really stupid I thought. I seem to remember the Tyrrell one looking particularly terrible. The only one I liked was the Ferrari when they had the two holes in the side. Why didn't they just get rid of the airboxes altogether?

Also the shape of the airboxes on the Benetton and Ligier in early 1995 - they sorted them out mid-season.

The FIA mandated the airbox cutouts in 1994 after Senna's and Ratzenberger's deaths in an attempt to reduce the amount of air that reached the intake trumpets on the engine, thus making the engine less powerful and the car marginally safer. As for why they weren't completely done away with, I'm not too sure why.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tzerof1 wrote:

Mention of Graham Hill provoked a memory of Mansell's 'tasche too. Although that was more iconic than the current generation's unkempt facial hair look...
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The 1995 McLaren. Zolder. Olivier Grouillard.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Barbazza wrote:The 1995 McLaren. Zolder. Olivier Grouillard.

Oh how I laughed!!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

tzerof1 wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Not a fan of the mish-mash colour schemes either...

Speaking of colour schemes and Sauber...I have to say the Sauber's colour scheme is rather unattractive as well as the nose.

I was gonna include the Sauber, but as Sunshine_Baby mentioned the 'platypus' noses, I thought I'd go for some different cars.

The Renault's there because it looks rather unwieldy and, well, tank-like. I chose the Forti FG03 as a) They had some dodgy colour schemes (red and green should never be seen, and the yellow livery also had red, blue, green and white), and b) The nose is somehow thin, but with some kind of bulbous gullet on the underside.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

That, my friends, is the world's fastest anvil :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The low nose version used at the start of 1996 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

They ruined it with the higher nose though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

redbulljack14 wrote:

The low nose version used at the start of 1996 is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

They ruined it with the higher nose though.

Nope. Both noses were ugly. The cockpit surround was ugly. The sidepods and engine cover were ugly. The rear wing was ugly. The whole thing was just plain ugly. The Ferrari of 1994, however, was a work of beauty.
MCard LOLA