The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: The Totally Ripper/Bonza V8 Supercar Thread.

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:
eurobrun wrote:They wouldn't have left if not for Ford screwing them over.

Have to agree with you there, what Ford did to Team Vodafone was bordering on insane - they just let go of their best team in favour of FPR (who are still one of the top teams, just that they have never had the consistency to back it up).

Oh, and Whincup is the V8 Supercars version of Vettel, he's a good driver though a lot of people don't want to see him win, just because he's already won so much.

And Lowndes is the Webber - everyone wants him to win, but he keeps getting destroyed by his teammate and no one knows whether it's because he's old, not good enough or just unlucky.

It's ruined by Vodafone though.

Except unlike Webber he actually gets a fair crack at it.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eurobrun wrote:Hoping for a HRT 1-2 in a fortnight in Melbourne.

Fixed!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Big crash with Murphy and Webb
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Goddamnit Caruso :x
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And before I forget, the Moffat Falcon is really starting to grow on me. It's got a cool retro look to it. Too bad he'll probably find a way to write it off within the next few weeks :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

Sadly GRM is in the last two positions.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
RonDenisDeletraz

Mofffat is in the garage

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Possible problem for Whincup. There is a god :D
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Come on Whincup, blow up!
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

Tander in the lead is good

RonDenisDeletraz

Come on FPR, take eachother out

RonDenisDeletraz

bathplug this

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

Only now getting round to watching the 2012 Clipsal, turn 8 still has a vicious side to it despite the lack of width in the middle of the turn, but thats only to neutralise the chaos of under 10 years ago.

Also, has the horsetrack around the outside of the "racetrack" percentage of the Adelaide Street Track completely gone?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
RonDenisDeletraz

ADx_Wales wrote:Only now getting round to watching the 2012 Clipsal, turn 8 still has a vicious side to it despite the lack of width in the middle of the turn, but thats only to neutralise the chaos of under 10 years ago.

Also, has the horsetrack around the outside of the "racetrack" percentage of the Adelaide Street Track completely gone?

The horsetrack is pretty much only dust now. Don't think it's used for anything.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Just watched the whole of race 1 on youtube, it's the first full V8 race I've ever watched, pretty good last few laps! :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

AndreaModa wrote:Just watched the whole of race 1 on youtube, it's the first full V8 race I've ever watched, pretty good last few laps! :D

Oddly enough, caught the last few laps of the first race as well on TV. Ads were frequent. I thought Davison was going to hang on until he dropped back. Should have been more defensive.... Good to see Adelaide back in service as well. It's a fantastic track from what little I've seen.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Slightly off topic, but I didn't want to create a whole new thread:

I was watching some footage at Bathurst and learned the last corner is named "Murray's corner", is this named after the great Murray Walker? If not, then Murray certainly deserves a corner name somewhere.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

Also somewhat off-topic: Can someone tell me, which (Australian) TV channel the V8 races from Melbourne are on? I have been searching the internet for the past hour, but somehow a just can't find an answer.
the Masked Lapwing

P_Friesacher wrote:Also somewhat off-topic: Can someone tell me, which (Australian) TV channel the V8 races from Melbourne are on? I have been searching the internet for the past hour, but somehow a just can't find an answer.

They'll be on Ten and One, although race 2 today will only be on One.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
the Masked Lapwing

That is quite possibly the greatest stack I have ever seen :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:That is quite possibly the greatest stack I have ever seen :lol:

And I simply HAD to miss it thanks to Physics homework :x
the Masked Lapwing

For those who didn't see it, at turn 3 Courtney got Whincup and spun him, right in front of traffic. Most managed to avoid him, but Rick Kelly got a touch and David Wall had nowhere to go, and neither did Taz Douglas behind him. As Douglas hits Wall, Ingall hits him too, lifting Douglas onto two wheels. Premat got a piece of Ingall, forcing him under Douglas, leaving him pretty much resting on Wall and Ingall. End result: three Commodores out of the race (Wall, Douglas and Ingall), two more covered in race tape (Whincup and Premat), a Kelly in the pits and a red flag. Only in a non-championship race :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:For those who didn't see it, at turn 3 Courtney got Whincup and spun him, right in front of traffic. Most managed to avoid him, but Rick Kelly got a touch and David Wall had nowhere to go, and neither did Taz Douglas behind him. As Douglas hits Wall, Ingall hits him too, lifting Douglas onto two wheels. Premat got a piece of Ingall, forcing him under Douglas, leaving him pretty much resting on Wall and Ingall. End result: three Commodores out of the race (Wall, Douglas and Ingall), two more covered in race tape (Whincup and Premat), a Kelly in the pits and a red flag. Only in a non-championship race :lol:

This?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

Why do the V8 Supercars commentators call the cars by their sponsor names? It makes them sound like Americans. :roll:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Waris wrote:Why do the V8 Supercars commentators call the cars by their sponsor names? It makes them sound like Americans. :roll:

Because all the cars are either Walkinshaw, Triple 8, FPR or Stone Brothers built with the singular exception of GRM. Besides, many of the teams are three and four car stables so it's just easier to differentiate that way.
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:
Waris wrote:Why do the V8 Supercars commentators call the cars by their sponsor names? It makes them sound like Americans. :roll:

Because all the cars are either Walkinshaw, Triple 8, FPR or Stone Brothers built with the exceptions of GRM and the Kellys. Besides, many of the teams are three and four car stables so it's just easier to differentiate that way.

Fixed. Why else would Nissan want them? :lol:
And the sponsors want their money's worth. They are the only reason there is a non-championship event right now.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Wizzie wrote:

Because all the cars are either Walkinshaw, Triple 8, FPR or Stone Brothers built with the exceptions of GRM and the Kellys. Besides, many of the teams are three and four car stables so it's just easier to differentiate that way.

And the sponsors want their money's worth. They are the only reason there is a non-championship event right now.

But we both know the Kellys are just on another ego trip by courting Nissan for next year :lol:

Besides, aren't their cars for this year ex-Walkinshaw anyway or did I conveniently forget that part of the discussion?
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Because all the cars are either Walkinshaw, Triple 8, FPR or Stone Brothers built with the exceptions of GRM and the Kellys. Besides, many of the teams are three and four car stables so it's just easier to differentiate that way.

But we both know the Kellys are just on another ego trip by courting Nissan for next year :lol:

Besides, aren't their cars for this year ex-Walkinshaw anyway or did I conveniently forget that part of the discussion?

You forgot that part:

Walkinshaw supply (effectively) 3 HRTs and 3 BJRs. The Kellys have built their own cars for a while now, or should I say Larry Perkins has been building them (actually, that's an interesting point. How does Larry feel about the Nissan deal?).
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Wizzie wrote:

You forgot that part:

Walkinshaw supply (effectively) 3 HRTs and 3 BJRs. The Kellys have built their own cars for a while now, or should I say Larry Perkins has been building them (actually, that's an interesting point. How does Larry feel about the Nissan deal?).

I'm willing to bet Larry is, understandably, Ab. So. Lutely. FURIOUS!
the Masked Lapwing

R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:But we both know the Kellys are just on another ego trip by courting Nissan for next year :lol:

You forgot that part:

I thought JDR used Walkinshaw Chassis and Pepsi Max/Fair Dinkum Racing used Perkins chassis. But, I'm probably wrong... :roll:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
the Masked Lapwing

kostas22 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:But we both know the Kellys are just on another ego trip by courting Nissan for next year :lol:

You forgot that part:

I thought JDR used Walkinshaw Chassis and Pepsi Max/Fair Dinkum Racing used Perkins chassis. But, I'm probably wrong... :roll:

They might have when they first started out until the first new ones were working, but it certainly wasn't for a long period of time.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

How in the blue hell is Taz Douglas 8th?
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:How in the blue hell is Taz Douglas 8th?

Because Warren Luff/Daniel Gaunt/Cameron McConville/Nathan Pretty made LDM look worse than they really were. Douglas is actually a good driver.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Because Warren Luff/Daniel Gaunt/Cameron McConville/Nathan Pretty made LDM look worse than they really were. Douglas is actually a good driver.

Then again, they also switched from Walkinshaw to T8 didn't they?

Webb having another off at the hairpin :|
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

35-odd laps on soft tyres? I'll drink to that :P
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Oh man, the two works FPRs are an enormous accident waiting to happen :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

That wasn't necessary, Mr Douglas :roll:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Nah. LDM are still a bunch of incompetent fools. I mean, who else can get thrown out of the development series for breaking the testing ban? :lol:
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:

Nah. LDM are still a bunch of incompetent fools. I mean, who else can get thrown out of the development series for breaking the testing ban? :lol:

When were LDM ever in the development series? Dumbrell started the team when he bought Tasman's REC in late 2009.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017