2012 Australian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Collieafc

Re: 2012 Australian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Collieafc »

Sad trumbones for Alonso

Hes happy! :lol:
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

My name is Klon and I am very happy how this qualifying is playing out - especially with Räikkönen failing. :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

English on Monday just got a whole lot more interesting as my English teacher is an Alonso fan :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Holy shite. Crofty is so much better than the entire ONE team combined it's not funny
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Romain Grosjean - oh man, oh man. I. Am. Amazed. :shock:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Where in the blue hell did Grrrrsssssjjjjjnnnn get THAT from? :o
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

GGGRRRSSJJJNNN 3rd

It hurts to live.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I like how all the better looking cars are also the fastest. Who was it that once remarked that good looking cars are fast cars?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Vettel not on pole, Webber faster than him, Grosjean and Schumi making the session interesting, not a Ferrari to be seen. If only Jenson had nicked pole, it would have been perfect!
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Collieafc wrote:I like how all the better looking cars are also the fastest. Who was it that once remarked that good looking cars are fast cars?

I think it's more an age-old saying if anything :lol:
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

RMN GRSJN

Where are the naysayers now?
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

edit *glitch*
Last edited by Mister Fungus on 17 Mar 2012, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

GGGRRRSSSSSJJJNNN 3rd?

That came out of nowhere!What next?Ferrari not making it into Q3?Oh,wait....
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Gotta say that was a great qualifying, anything can happen in tomorrow's race, but you have to say what pace Mclaren had in store, how soon do you think the other teams will protest the Mclaren then :p
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Where did GRRRJJJSSSN pull that lap out of? :shock:

At least there isn't a Red Bull on pole for once, though I'd prefer Button on pole....
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Well! I am tempted to be glib and suggest that not only was that qualifying session well worth getting up for, it was worth paying out the filthy lucre to actually be able to watch it, too...

All through the session, even experienced commentators like Brundle and Croft almost didn't quite seem able to believe that Red Bull really weren't going to pull it out of the bag in the same way that they always used to last year... They must have the pace in hand, they must have it, surely they must...

But they didn't. They're still very quick, of course, but - unless McLaren go on to dominate - we really do seem to have a much closer F1 season on our hands this year. And where the hell did Grosjean come from!!?? Schumacher up there too, Rosberg probably out of position and not as high as his pace would have suggested...

Ferrari will be very disappointed, although after testing probably not surprised, Raikkonen will certainly have food for thought, but probably the most disappointed overall will be Force India and especially Caterham, who on this evidence at least appear to have progressed absolutely nowhere.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

:lol: @ Grosjean's massive grin in the press conference
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
RonDenisDeletraz

Mister Fungus wrote:RMN GRSJN

What will you be saying when he causes a pileup at the first corner.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

Was Crofty channelling Brian Blessed there? That was painful to listen to.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

sswishbone wrote::lol: @ Grosjean's massive grin in the press conference

He looks like a schoolboy that just got his first kiss.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

HRT should protest the Mercedes cars for a laugh.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

hahaha great analogy

TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Collieafc wrote:I like how all the better looking cars are also the fastest. Who was it that once remarked that good looking cars are fast cars?

Ironically, Enzo Ferrari.
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

eurobrun wrote:What will you be saying when he causes a pileup at the first corner.

Now is not the time for you to be smug.
RonDenisDeletraz

Mister Fungus wrote:
eurobrun wrote:What will you be saying when he causes a pileup at the first corner.

WAAAAAAAAHHHH I CANT COPE WITH SOMEONE NOT LIKING MY FAVOURITE DRIVER!!1!1!!111!1!!121!!oneone

Fixed

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
Mister Fungus wrote:

WAAAAAAAAHHHH I CANT COPE WITH SOMEONE NOT LIKING MY FAVOURITE DRIVER!!1!1!!111!1!!121!!oneone

Fixed

I predict a riot in 3, 2, 1...
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

eurobrun wrote:
Mister Fungus wrote:

Fixed

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Wizzie wrote:Holy shite. Crofty is so much better than the entire ONE team combined it's not funny

Agree. Today alone I heard two sentences non stop. Our new breakfast show has started..... and

Lets go to a commercial break, and we will be back shortly.

He was correct, but about 1 minute in after the break he would repeat the same thing.

Also, no quali conference apart from Lewis which was terrible. I know the red flag did occur, but this is live! Things happen
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Croft and Brundle is such a natural combination, it's like they've been doing it for years. I can't believe the BBC ever chose Legard over him.

I didn't think Grosjean deserved to be back, but fair play to him for taking his opportunity. Much as he may be grinning, there's a whole race ahead of him, and somewhere along the lines he needs to show race pace, race craft and be able to fight for position.

Look at the top 10 now. It's mainly drivers from the same era of GP2.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

David AGS wrote:
Wizzie wrote:Holy shite. Crofty is so much better than the entire ONE team combined it's not funny

Agree. Today alone I heard two sentences non stop. Our new breakfast show has started..... and

Lets go to a commercial break, and we will be back shortly.

He was correct, but about 1 minute in after the break he would repeat the same thing.

Seriously, the muppets from the Breakfast show were the worst of the lot. It was that bad I was tempted to throw the remote, the coffee table and pretty much everything else in the house at the TV after a few minutes :|
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Eurgh, horrendous blocking of Alonso by Karthikeyan.

Hamilton has a trip over the grass.

Something tells me that if HRT ask to race, Ferrari will do their best to persuade the stewards to reject their request and not allow them to start as a form of revenge. (HRT did miss the 107% marker by well over a second, so they would have a point).

Paul Hayes wrote:Well! I am tempted to be glib and suggest that not only was that qualifying session well worth getting up for, it was worth paying out the filthy lucre to actually be able to watch it, too...

All through the session, even experienced commentators like Brundle and Croft almost didn't quite seem able to believe that Red Bull really weren't going to pull it out of the bag in the same way that they always used to last year... They must have the pace in hand, they must have it, surely they must...

But they didn't. They're still very quick, of course, but - unless McLaren go on to dominate - we really do seem to have a much closer F1 season on our hands this year. And where the hell did Grosjean come from!!?? Schumacher up there too, Rosberg probably out of position and not as high as his pace would have suggested...

Ferrari will be very disappointed, although after testing probably not surprised, Raikkonen will certainly have food for thought, but probably the most disappointed overall will be Force India and especially Caterham, who on this evidence at least appear to have progressed absolutely nowhere.

Williams also have cause to be pleased with Maldonado picking up 8th place (beating both Toro Rosso and Force India) - at least one car has a decent chance of a few points tomorrow, which is more than could be said last year.
It looks like we could also have a decent battle between Schumacher and Grosjean for the final podium slot too - assuming that Lotus and Red Bull's protest is unsuccessful (and given that Whiting said the device was legal yesterday, I think that the protest won't succeed) - and you'd assume that Rosberg has a chance of coming back through the field.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
TimmyB

Post by TimmyB »

Great session.

Is it just me, or does last years reject of the year now have the fourth fastest car on the grid?
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

2012 news: Williams Faster Than Ferrari :)

Relieving to see Williams making a good early claim to be best of the rest, which if carried through will be an achievement after last season.

There's more pace in there too- Maldonado looked to be fairly unstable on that hotlap. If they improve the setup and make the car more stable it could potentially take on the top 8. We'll have to see how it manages its tyres though. Everyone's emphasising the importance of it.

Likewise Ross Brawn was very guarded about Merc's chances, what with everyone suspecting they chew through tyres.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Mister Fungus wrote:RMN GRSJN

Indeed - people were very quick to judge him as rubbish based on a few races thrown in at the deep end in a bad car. I hope none of those people ever get called for jury duty!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I think the actual saying is that fast cars are good looking cars - that is, once it's fast, it's beautiful, rather than beautiful cars are also fast.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Currently listening to the BBC Iplayer version on qualifying, James Allen has spent 98% of the time speaking, I forget Jaime is actually alongside him :lol:

Just restarted after the red flag for Alonso, but after reading this thread, all I know is Grosjean will start 3rd and Maldonado 8th. Hoping for a McLaren pole!

Kovalainen interview earlier, he's pretty pissed at a HRT getting in the way, he says it cost him 6 tenths.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

My summary of qualifying:

RRRRRMMMMMNNNNN GGGGGRRRRRJJJJJNNNNN!!!!!

Honorary mention for the Reverend.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

Hehe! Best qualifying session in ages! :D
Most of the teams and drivers that I support did well. Notable exceptions were Raikonnen and Senna, but they do seem to have competitive machinery, so I have hope for tomorrow.

My conclusions:
I think it is now finally safe to say that Red Bull were not sandbagging. And neither were Ferrarri (unfortunately for them)
It allso seems that McLaren and Lotus have genuine pace. Allso Williams seem to have made some gains compared to last year.
At the back of the grid absolutely nothing has changed, even at the much-hyped Caterham.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Interesting session.

Williams is a really pleasant surprise, and I love how Maldonado is also faster than Bruno. :) I'm not that happy for the order of the Mercs, Rosberg clearly felt the pressure in Q3, messed up both his laps. Not too promising in terms of first win.

Where did Kobayashi disappear in Q2? :( I want banzai tomorrow. Another driver in need for a banzai is Raikkonen, he really has to put out something tomorrow. I hope he sleeps well before the race. :lol: