The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

Re: The 2012 IndyCar Series thread

Post by CoopsII »

Faustus wrote:My dear CoopsII, if you truly believed that I might consider selling you these magic beans that I've got.

I dont need magic beans, I have faith (in Alesi).
Just For One Day...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

There are 34 cars entered. 30 of those cars have a T car entered, so a last minute ride buyer could come in and run the race. As far as I know, all but the second car for Ed Carpenter have drivers.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Cynon wrote:There are 34 cars entered. 30 of those cars have a T car entered, so a last minute ride buyer could come in and run the race. As far as I know, all but the second car for Ed Carpenter have drivers.

It is strange that there is still a unfilled seat this close to the race.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eurobrun wrote:
Cynon wrote:There are 34 cars entered. 30 of those cars have a T car entered, so a last minute ride buyer could come in and run the race. As far as I know, all but the second car for Ed Carpenter have drivers.

Give it to Pippa Mann. NOW. :twisted:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

dr-baker wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Give it to Sam Hornish. NOW. :twisted:

Fixed. Stop bathplug around Sam, you suck in stock cars. Come back while you still have a chance.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
nome66

Post by nome66 »

the dollar general livery fits him. Ed carpenter do it now! talk to Sam Hornish!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
RonDenisDeletraz

The only thing Sam Hornish has acheived in NASCAR is making Danica RAEG.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

If the first day of practice is anything to go by, Lotus might as well bugger off back to wherever the hell it is they came from
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:Lotus might as well bugger off back to wherever the hell it is they came from

Fixed

Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

dr-baker wrote:Give it to Felipe Massa. WHEN HE IS LET GO BY FERRARI. :twisted:

FIXED ;)
MIA SAN MIA!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

dr-baker wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Give it to Pippa Mann. NOW. :twisted:

This. If only because Pippa is one of the best personalities there is.

Sam Hornish needs to come back for Indy only, but I'd much rather see Pippa in that car.

...unfortunately, the only name I've heard linked to the #21 car is Buddy Rice... :[

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Curses! Only 32 cars in practice so far and Alesi isn't last. Interesting the speed chasm between the Lotus-engined cars and everyone else.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:Curses! Only 32 cars in practice so far and Alesi isn't last. Interesting the speed chasm between the Lotus-engined cars and everyone else.

I thought that there were 33 cars on track in the latest practise session? And poor Simona de Silvestro is really struggling for speed, isn't she (even compared to Alesi)? I almost wonder whether she has some sort of defect with her car. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99616
And yes, the Lotus powered teams are quite a long way off the pace (even allowing for the inexperience of Alesi) - mind you, the Lotus engine is rumoured to be quite underpowered compared to their rivals (a power deficit of 50bhp has been suggested ) so that is hardly surprising.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Waris

Post by Waris »

Alesi is headed for a big fat DNQ from the looks of it. I bet he will be saved by there being fewer than 34 cars, but this makes me wonder if they should introduce the 107% rule in IndyCar...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Waris wrote:Alesi is headed for a big fat DNQ from the looks of it. I bet he will be saved by there being fewer than 34 cars, but this makes me wonder if they should introduce the 107% rule in IndyCar...

But the American motorsport fraternity wouldn't want any fewer than 33 cars starting their precious race! They're already up in arms that Bump Day is meaningless this year so Christ knows what would happen if a few fewer cars started!

I appreciate that IndyCar is a unique and very good series, but they need to make some fundamental changes if they want it anything like as decent as it was pre-split. At the moment, it's all a bit amateurish and misty-eyed for the past in my opinion.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

mario wrote:And poor Simona de Silvestro is really struggling for speed, isn't she (even compared to Alesi)? I almost wonder whether she has some sort of defect with her car.

She does - it's the "Lotus" badged Judd bolted into the car that produces about as much power and torque as a 1986 Lada Niva. I can't believe Indycar haven't thrown that bunch of scammers out and just stumped up the necessary to get a couple of extra Honda & Chevy powerplants up and running for the teams who were unfortunate enough to believe the Shannon/Andrea Moda like rubbish Behar and his group of fraudsters came up with.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AndreaModa wrote:But the American motorsport fraternity wouldn't want any fewer than 33 cars starting their precious race! They're already up in arms that Bump Day is meaningless this year so Christ knows what would happen if a few fewer cars started!

He, anyone willing to screw Lotus and Dallara over to get that 33rd spot on the grid and send Luca Badoer to the Indy 500? :lol:
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:Curses! Only 32 cars in practice so far and Alesi isn't last. Interesting the speed chasm between the Lotus-engined cars and everyone else.

I thought that there were 33 cars on track in the latest practise session? And poor Simona de Silvestro is really struggling for speed, isn't she (even compared to Alesi)? I almost wonder whether she has some sort of defect with her car. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99616
And yes, the Lotus powered teams are quite a long way off the pace (even allowing for the inexperience of Alesi) - mind you, the Lotus engine is rumoured to be quite underpowered compared to their rivals (a power deficit of 50bhp has been suggested ) so that is hardly surprising.

This proves that Lotus engines are given Reject of the Year already in Indycars :x
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

MikeH wrote:
mario wrote:And poor Simona de Silvestro is really struggling for speed, isn't she (even compared to Alesi)? I almost wonder whether she has some sort of defect with her car.

She does - it's the "Lotus" badged Judd bolted into the car that produces about as much power and torque as a 1986 Lada Niva. I can't believe Indycar haven't thrown that bunch of scammers out and just stumped up the necessary to get a couple of extra Honda & Chevy powerplants up and running for the teams who were unfortunate enough to believe the Shannon/Andrea Moda like rubbish Behar and his group of fraudsters came up with.

You are dissin' the Lada Niva there. It's a good car. Not pretty or fast but good. And more respectable too...
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

golic_2004 wrote:This proves that Lotus engines are given Reject of the Year already in Indycars :x

They'll still win the 500 with Alesi sat in front of one!
Just For One Day...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

We've established that after three days, Lotus are at least consistent... consistently slow, that is :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:We've established that after three days, Lotus are at least consistent... consistently slow, that is :lol:

Seriously, if it wasn't that crap on the back of Alesi's car, he could be much higher... :x
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:
Wizzie wrote:We've established that after three days, Lotus are at least consistent... consistently slow, that is :lol:

Seriously, if it wasn't that crap on the back of Alesi's car, he could be much higher... :x

Yeah. Two seconds off the pace on a 41 second lap is simply embarrassing even by HRT standards. Anyone want to calculate how far away from the top times Lotus are? :lol:
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DanielPT wrote:

I think you're right, Alesi would be faster, although not necessarily at the speed of the regular drivers.
mario

Post by mario »

MikeH wrote:

Which was why I made the comparison to Alesi given he has the only other Lotus engined car in the field - the Lotus engine would be better off as scrap right now, but even compared to Alesi her times were fairly poor (nearly 0.7s behind his best time).
As for why IndyCar allowed the Lotus engine in, I guess that on paper the deal looked reasonably solid given that Engine Developments Ltd. (aka Judd) were heavily involved in the developing the engine. Whilst Group Lotus's reputation may have been tarnished somewhat by Bahar, Judd are still a pretty serious concern and have a fairly good reputation for their engines in Endurance Racing, so you would be forgiven for assuming that they could have come up with a reasonably competitive engine.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Nice to see these cars are starting to match the speeds of the crapwagon. I still think they need about 30-50 more HP, but I can accept qualifying times above 223.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99634

Alesi didn't run and Simona was ridiculously slow.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Lotus trash reminds me of Honda in 1994 or Toyota pre-1999. Horrendously slow and uncompetitive. They might be better off with only one or two cars, but they'd be best with Servia driving instead of de Silvestro, whose future may not look so great with that POS Lotus.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

F1000X wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
eurobrun wrote:It is strange that there is still a unfilled seat this close to the race.

Give it to AJ Allmendinger. NOW. :twisted:

Fixed.

Now it's fixed.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

nah, AJ has been assimilated into the NASCAR borg. every time i hear his name in my head i hear it in jeff hammond's voice.

anyways, let Pastrana have a go! he's always up for new stuff. he'll be going more than twice as fast as his rallycar for sure.

or JPM. the obvious choice. i mean why not? hell, maybe Smoke.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

nome66 wrote:let Pastrana have a go! he's always up for new stuff. he'll be going more than twice as fast as his rallycar for sure.

I'm pretty sure you were trolling, but if you weren't.
bathplug THAT

Tired of that guy.

I'm trying to think of people it would be interesting to see do a one off. Andretti wouldn't, Vasser wouldn't, Unser is too old and too drunk, I really think Hornish would be the most interesting choice. I wonder if Adrian Sutil would be any good on ovals?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The writing's on the wall for Lotus now. Alesi thinks 205's as fast as the engines will allow them to go
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:The writing's on the wall for Lotus now. Alesi thinks 205's as fast as the engines will allow them to go

I think it is a crying shame for Alesi. The way he is been beating De Silvestro (who while not really fast is an established driver), he clearly deserved to have better machinery at his disposal...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

And, as an interesting comparison, there were cars in 1982 that went faster than what the Lotuses are achieving right now :lol:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wizzie wrote:The writing's on the wall for Lotus now. Alesi thinks 205's as fast as the engines will allow them to go

:(
Just For One Day...
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99656

I hope we'll get to hear from the drivers just how the Lotus compares to the seemingly dominant Chevy.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

IdeFan wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99656

I hope we'll get to hear from the drivers just how the Lotus compares to the seemingly dominant Chevy.

Will this be accompanied by a change of livery, I wonder?
RonDenisDeletraz

This Slowtus engine is just going to be incredibly rejectful in the race.

Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Wizzie wrote:And, as an interesting comparison, there were cars in 1982 that went faster than what the Lotuses are achieving right now :lol:

Interesting comparison there is that both in 1982 and today, those cars hitting 205 were concerned about speed! Today, Lotus Indycars are worried about being so slow that they become turn 5, and the cars in 1982 were worried about crashing at high speed due to Gordon Smiley's unfortunate crash.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Cynon wrote:
Wizzie wrote:And, as an interesting comparison, there were cars in 1982 that went faster than what the Lotuses are achieving right now :lol:

Interesting comparison there is that both in 1982 and today, those cars hitting 205 were concerned about speed! Today, Lotus Indycars are worried about being so slow that they become turn 5, and the cars in 1982 were worried about crashing at high speed due to Gordon Smiley's unfortunate crash.

Yeah, but those CART machines were really flimsy, weren't they?