Your Reject of the Race - Spain

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
golic_2004

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Spain

Post by golic_2004 »

I'd agree with a lot abot what happened on track, but what happened off track is definitely the reject of the race.

The fire in the Williams garage definitely ended the celebrations of Williams's win. :(
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Schumacher- embarrassing and seems to be indecisive in the braking zone

Button- so much for the car being quick
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

I dont really rate Senna but he has picked up some good results. Surely he is going to continue at Williams at least for the rest of the year. Maldonado is too inconsistent to do an Alonso style curtainpull of Sennas shortcomings. Plus this season has all been about tyres race setup and pitstop strategy. It will fluctuate.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Everyone who says it's Webber because he was beaten by Vettel who had to pit for a new front wing. From what I remember, it was Webber who had to change his front wing, not the Finger.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

tommykl wrote:Everyone who says it's Webber because he was beaten by Vettel who had to pit for a new front wing. From what I remember, it was Webber who had to change his front wing, not the Finger.

Both had to. Vettel also had a drive-through penalty.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will say Schumacher. Very poor accident and mostly his fault. Yet he blamed Senna. Compound that with his rant/whinging against Pirelli and it was an unfortunate week for him...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Has he ever been fast except 2008?
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Pamphlet wrote:
tommykl wrote:Everyone who says it's Webber because he was beaten by Vettel who had to pit for a new front wing. From what I remember, it was Webber who had to change his front wing, not the Finger.

Oh. I must have missed that.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

First, let's deal with the honorable mentions...

McLaren - Another botched weekend in which they had the pace to score a big result. The miscalculation in Hamilton's fuel was pretty amateurish, and costly, but Button wasn't on it either. They should be leading both Championships with ease but instead they're losing to Vettel and Red Bull when they have a better shot.
HRT - Forget the upgrades, they have failed to give them any advantage. And Karthikeyan just had a shocker.
Charles Pic - For pulling off a Grouillard on Alonso, perhaps costing him a real shot at winning the race.
Felipe Massa - Yet another pathetic weekend from the Brazilian. His starts and defence are OK, but his race pace is utterly disgraceful.

And the winner is...

Bruno Senna - He had a poor weekend overall, but what really seals it for me is that, while he was knocked out in Q1, team-mate Maldonado started on pole position and won the race. Ayrton's nephew was punted out by Schumacher and retired.
Waris

Post by Waris »

I want to cast a shared vote for Schumacher and Senna. Also a honorable mention to Narain "I like to drive the taxi, I like it very much, even though I have no licence, I always find the clutch" Karthikeyan.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I would like to nominate Pastor Maldonado for spoiling my sunday afternoon nap....... :roll:
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I nominate the BILD for rather focussing on Schumacher's penalty than Maldonado's win. If there is one good thing about the inevitable end of Western society, it's the death warrant for this "newspaper".
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Easy peasy this time 'round.

The Reverend

Sublime_FA11C wrote:This GP already sounds like the dullest of the season. I think i know what my ROTR nomination will be.

I nominate: myself
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:

The Reverend

Sublime_FA11C wrote:This GP already sounds like the dullest of the season. I think i know what my ROTR nomination will be.

That is what usually happens when you nominate RoTR way too early. ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:

The Reverend

I agree.

aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:
Pamphlet wrote:

Oh. I must have missed that.

Therefore, I nominate you for ROTR simply because I can :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

1. Schumacher, for crashing out in a manner worthy of a rookie.

2. Button. That was painfull to watch. He looked like Massa. But at least he finished in the points.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Though having not watched the race, nominees must be the Williams pit fire and "Maldonado naysayers", all those people who said he would be just a pay driver and did not understand why Williams fired Hülkenberg to give his seat to the Reverend.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

Schumacher, for driving unimpressively through the weekend again, before smashing into Senna's car like a complete spoon, and worst of all had the audacity to blame everybody but himself for his poor weekend.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

3. Bruno Senna - I was willing to give him a reprieve after Malaysia, but has slipped back out of my good books now. Very Massa-like performance.
2. McLaren - Oh for Christ's sake guys, do you not want to win anymore? After a nigh-flawless Australia, the only person in the team who looks even semi-competent now is Hamilton.
1. Michael Schumacher - Literally the only upside I see to him is the PR Mercedes get for having him on board. This enitre comeback is the definition of embarrassing.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Winner;
-Schumacher: He's had some bad luck this year, but this weekend was his own doing. He seems to be over-driving the car to compensate. Also, the main reason is that he got a penalty for qualifying at Monaco, as I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do there.

Nominees;
-Senna: Awful qualifying and not a great race. When your car ends up in the gravel after qualifying and incinerated after the race, you know you haven't had a great weekend.
-Massa: Awful qualifying (albeit not helped by Ferrari AGAIN sending him out too early in Q2...) but race was decent before the penalty, probably would've ended up around Button/Hulkenberg/Webber.
-McLaren: Very disappointing
-Button: See McLaren
-Williams fire: Ruined the celebrations
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

And now for the official decision!

In the end, it was a bit too easy to plump for Michael Schumacher. I've gone for Bruno Senna instead, making it his second ROTR in as many Spanish GP starts.

The reasons should come as no surprise. He was poor in Q1 and wilted under the pressure of Pastor Maldonado who was clearly having a brilliant weekend. And as for his incident with Schumacher, I have to disagree with many of you and with the stewards in saying it was entirely Michael's fault. I felt Bruno had a part to play in his own demise. Yes he took the inside line to defend initially, but then he did what many drivers do in that situation - start feinting back onto the racing line. This is always laden with risk; the driver trying to pass you has to second-guess whether you are making a second move (even if it is illegal), or whether to hold their ground on the outside and risk a collision, or dive to the other side. In Michael's case, when you throw in fading reflexes, and the disparity in braking distances because of the state of Senna and Schumacher's tyres, it was a recipe was confusion and disaster. Sure, Michael made a complete balls-up of it (although in my view the grid penalty for Monaco is harsh), but in my view had Senna not feinted left again then the incident would not have occurred. That's my view at least.
tc3j3r

Post by tc3j3r »

I agree, I don't like these 'second moves' into the braking zones, as they make a mockery of the "one move" rule in addition to being potentially dangerous. The way I see it, if you've moved off the racing line to cover the inside, you have to stay off it all the way to the next corner, even if that means taking a sub-optimal line on entry and having to brake earlier. Unfortunately the second move seems to have become largely accepted in F1. However, I found Schumacher's complaints rather hypocritical given that he's always been notorious for dodgy swerves...
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

tc3j3r wrote:I agree, I don't like these 'second moves' into the braking zones, as they make a mockery of the "one move" rule in addition to being potentially dangerous. The way I see it, if you've moved off the racing line to cover the inside, you have to stay off it all the way to the next corner, even if that means taking a sub-optimal line on entry and having to brake earlier. Unfortunately the second move seems to have become largely accepted in F1. However, I found Schumacher's complaints rather hypocritical given that he's always been notorious for dodgy swerves...

I never liked the one-move rule. It's too damn artificial, even compared with things such as the DRS. You should let the drivers defend as they see fit, and issue punishments if they get too carried away and drive dangerously on purpose, but making more than one move to defend doesn't necessarily need to be dangerous.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The problem is the inevitable inconsistency in stewards decisions without the rule. Granted we pretty much have it anyway, but at least the rule provides some clarity. I personally wouldn't have classed Senna's move under braking as a 'second move' because it was minimal. But that's the problem, everyone has their own interpretation of it. With or without the rule, you'd always have controversy.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

AndreaModa wrote:The problem is the inevitable inconsistency in stewards decisions without the rule. Granted we pretty much have it anyway, but at least the rule provides some clarity. I personally wouldn't have classed Senna's move under braking as a 'second move' because it was minimal. But that's the problem, everyone has their own interpretation of it. With or without the rule, you'd always have controversy.

Senna's move was a mistake, I believe, but neither part should have got any punishment. It's racing.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Phoenix wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The problem is the inevitable inconsistency in stewards decisions without the rule. Granted we pretty much have it anyway, but at least the rule provides some clarity. I personally wouldn't have classed Senna's move under braking as a 'second move' because it was minimal. But that's the problem, everyone has their own interpretation of it. With or without the rule, you'd always have controversy.

Senna's move was a mistake, I believe, but neither part should have got any punishment. It's racing.

We all know how the stewards like to fiddle with that "it's racing" concept. Don't go mention that thing in their room or they might have an heart attack. I got astonished when they didn't gone penalty happy with those incidents involving Rosberg in Bahrain...
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

We all know how the stewards like to fiddle with that "it's racing" concept. Don't go mention that thing in their room or they might have an heart attack. I got astonished when they didn't gone penalty happy with those incidents involving Rosberg in Bahrain...

The FIA managed to dig itself into a very ambiguous situation over the handling of Rosberg's defensive moves in Bahrain (interestingly, Rosberg did admit that he acted that aggressively in part because there was no barrier there, thereby allowing the trailing driver to take evasive action if necessary).

Although the Alonso-Rosberg incident might have gained more airtime, and whilst Charlie Whiting did later mention that Rosberg was right on the limit of what could be considered an acceptable defensive move (Rosberg did move across first, but only marginally earlier - had it been a fraction of a second later he would have been penalised), it seems that the Hamilton-Rosberg incident was heavily debated by the drivers in the pre-race briefing in Barcelona.
This seems to have raised an interesting quandary - technically, Hamilton's pass on Rosberg could be seen as illegal since it took place off the track, but on the other hand his defence was that he was in the process of taking avoiding action, having already committed to trying to pass Rosberg on his right hand side. The stewards noted that, but then failed to make any further mention of Hamilton's actions, which seems to have frustrated a number of drivers who felt that the FIA should have had a clearer stance about whether that was or wasn't an illegal move (something it seems the FIA obfuscated about).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

mario wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

The FIA managed to dig itself into a very ambiguous situation over the handling of Rosberg's defensive moves in Bahrain (interestingly, Rosberg did admit that he acted that aggressively in part because there was no barrier there, thereby allowing the trailing driver to take evasive action if necessary).

Although the Alonso-Rosberg incident might have gained more airtime, and whilst Charlie Whiting did later mention that Rosberg was right on the limit of what could be considered an acceptable defensive move (Rosberg did move across first, but only marginally earlier - had it been a fraction of a second later he would have been penalised), it seems that the Hamilton-Rosberg incident was heavily debated by the drivers in the pre-race briefing in Barcelona.
This seems to have raised an interesting quandary - technically, Hamilton's pass on Rosberg could be seen as illegal since it took place off the track, but on the other hand his defence was that he was in the process of taking avoiding action, having already committed to trying to pass Rosberg on his right hand side. The stewards noted that, but then failed to make any further mention of Hamilton's actions, which seems to have frustrated a number of drivers who felt that the FIA should have had a clearer stance about whether that was or wasn't an illegal move (something it seems the FIA obfuscated about).

Right on the limit? The fact there were no close barriers to the edge of the track doesn't mean Rosberg's move couldn't have created a potentially dangerous accident. What if Alonso or Hamilton collided with Rosberg and their cars became airborne, like Webber at Europe 2010? The criteria of the stewards is ridiculously inconsistent, and that "had it been a fraction of a second later he would have been penalised" is BS in my eyes. A fraction of a second means nothing at all in this situation. He deserved a penalty as much as Schumacher deserved the punishment he was given when he pushed Barrichello towards the pit wall at Hungary 2010.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

DanielPT wrote:
Sublime_FA11C wrote:

The Reverend

That is what usually happens when you nominate RoTR way too early. ;)

It's only fun that way. Makes it seem awesome when you guess right. That's why i'll bet my house for Button to win Monaco...
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:

The Reverend

It's OK, somebody in the predictions thread nominated The Reverend for both RotR and DBTMOTR *cough*Wizzie*cough*
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

TheBigJ wrote:It's OK, somebody in the predictions thread nominated The Reverend for both RotR and DBTMOTR *cough*Wizzie*cough*

And I'll promptly award myself ROTPPR accordingly :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Wizzie wrote:
TheBigJ wrote:It's OK, somebody in the predictions thread nominated The Reverend for both RotR and DBTMOTR *cough*Wizzie*cough*

You did exactly the same thing for China too...

Whoever Wizzie predicts as both RotR and DBTMOTR ends up winning!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

TheBigJ wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Must remember that before posting my predictions. It might become handy in the future! :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DanielPT wrote:
TheBigJ wrote:
Wizzie wrote:And I'll promptly award myself ROTPPR accordingly :lol:

Must remember that before posting my predictions. It might become handy in the future! :lol:

Future being about 2 minutes from now :lol:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wizzie wrote:
DanielPT wrote:
TheBigJ wrote:

Future being about 2 minutes from now :lol:

Or Thursday when making my predictions! ;)
Marco

Post by Marco »

Will the offical ROTR be retroactively changed to Schumacher, now that he has ruined his pole for Monaco :lol:
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Marco wrote:Will the offical ROTR be retroactively changed to Schumacher, now that he has ruined his pole for Monaco :lol:

Not only that he deserves it even more after seeing the incident where he shortcut the track to block Hamilton - it was free practice for god's sake!!!! (Similar to what JPM did to Ralf in Monaco '05).

That was a total disgrace.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)