2012 Monaco Grand Prix discussion

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
QuickYoda41

Re: 2012 Monaco Grand Prix discussion

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Still, half of them do. That's exactly my point.
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

Just finished watching the race, recorded it on my PVR.

That race sucked and was the worst of the season.

I'll go get my coat.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The number of different winners may lead to comparisons with the 82 season, but the rain arrived about 5-10 minutes late for that comparison to be truly valid sadly.
Then again, I don't want Canada to be like 82 anyway, thanks....
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I propose this as a new last sector to the track:

Red is the new layout, green is the old layout.

It does mean getting rid of Rascasse, but you will gain extra seafront, a straight straight, a passing place (hairpin) and a faster approach to the start finish which means more speed can be carried across the line, increasing the possibilities of passing into turn 1. What do you think?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I propose this as a new last sector to the track:

It does mean getting rid of Rascasse, but you will gain extra seafront, a straight straight, a passing place (hairpin) and a faster approach to the start finish which means more speed can be carried across the line, increasing the possibilities of passing into turn 1. What do you think?

It's only an overtaking spot if the track is wide enough, and I can't tell if it is or not...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

It looks like the hairpin area is just concrete on google maps, so the turn area can be made as wide as possible
mario

Post by mario »

As an additional aside, although there were reports before the race that a number of teams were unhappy about a slot in the floor that Red Bull have just ahead of their rear tyres, it has been confirmed that nobody intends to launch a protest against their cars (it seems that the other teams were prepared to let Webber's victory stand rather than risk an adverse backlash from the media by putting in a post race protest).
Instead, it looks like those teams intend to take a more measured approach, with the teams planning on sorting out the matter in the next Technical Working Group meeting, taking place tomorrow. That way, each side gets to put forth their arguments and should hopefully resolve their problems well in advance of the Canadian GP, should any team wish to make changes following that meeting. http://adamcooperf1.com/2012/05/27/fias ... on-monday/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I was watching the England vs Norway friendly last night, and all of our players mumbled the anthem reluctantly,.

Thats because English football players are the scum of the earth. Most of them probably cant even read let alone learn words to some song about the Queen.
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

CoopsII wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:I was watching the England vs Norway friendly last night, and all of our players mumbled the anthem reluctantly,.

Thats because English football players are the scum of the earth. Most of them probably cant even read let alone learn words to some song about the Queen.

I think most of them would even struggle to sing this. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dr-baker wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:I propose this as a new last sector to the track:

It's only an overtaking spot if the track is wide enough, and I can't tell if it is or not...

Looking on street view, i have encountered a problem..... have a look for yourself....
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

WeirdKerr wrote:
Looking on street view, i have encountered a problem..... have a look for yourself....

Hmmnb, there appears to be a second tunnel. Just make the entrance wider and voila :) That appears to be the only problem unless I'm missing something...
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

tristan1117 wrote:I find it hilarious that in the one year that Ferrari doesn't predict a world championship, Alonso now leads the world championship after six races.

Well the Ferrari might not be very good, but the margins are so fine this year that the driver can make more of a difference I guess.
Plus Alonso must be incredibly hungry now for another title, he's the best driver out there I think (somewhat begrudgingly), and yet he's been denied a chance for too long thanks to some mediocre cars.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

Hmmnb, there appears to be a second tunnel. Just make the entrance wider and voila :) That appears to be the only problem unless I'm missing something...

yes that tunnel is narrow but not as narrow as the bit leading onto the bit before you turn into the area that i beleive the teams use as a paddock
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

WeirdKerr wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

yes that tunnel is narrow but not as narrow as the bit leading onto the bit before you turn into the area that i beleive the teams use as a paddock

Yes, i see it now, but most of the boats and stuff can be cleared off, and if that part was going to be used in the race, they'd remove all the obstacles
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

CoopsII wrote:

God save our gracious Queen, long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen... Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us, God save the Queen!

Com'on, it can't be that difficult when I know it :lol: But I will never get accustomed to hear it sang as "God save the King" whenever the day comes...

...mmm...

...no, that can't happen... Elizabeth the Second, a mortal? Bah! :mrgreen:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Peter

Post by Peter »

WeirdKerr wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:

As long as Alonso can net some podiums, and we don't have a consistent race winner, meaning, no Webber or Vettel winning consistently, then he may very well have a championship this year. I sure hope so, because I was gutted at Abu Dhabi 2010.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ferrim wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

God save our gracious Queen, long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen... Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us, God save the Queen!

Com'on, it can't be that difficult when I know it :lol: But I will never get accustomed to hear it sang as "God save the King" whenever the day comes...

...mmm...

...no, that can't happen... Elizabeth the Second, a mortal? Bah! :mrgreen:

It's such a shite national anthem...why can't we have a good one?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Waris

Post by Waris »

I thought it was actually a good race, the last few laps were quite exciting with that train going on (although it being Monte-Carlo, you know they likely won't pass, but it was still nice to watch.)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:It's such a shite national anthem...why can't we have a good one?

Because you have a monarchy. No monarchy = no shite anthem.

Best national anthem in F1.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

You wannabe Italian just can't stop it, can you? :lol:

Well, I have to agree with you, there are not many anthems as good. The pathetic remnants of patriotism in my body forces me to mention Germany, the French one and - from the category: anthems it will take some time to hear - India.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Klon wrote:

You wannabe Italian just can't stop it, can you? :lol:

Well, I have to agree with you, there are not many anthems as good. The pathetic remnants of patriotism in my body forces me to mention Germany, the French one and - from the category: anthems it will take some time to hear - India.

French & Italian are best by miles, nothing else can get near them. Scotland is third :D

Image Image
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Everybody knows Soviet is best. ;)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Frentzen127 wrote:Everybody knows Soviet is best. ;)

This. Clearly this.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I'm sorry, but I just have to mention this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Low3ByYigQ
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

What a crap race. A sprinkler system should be made mandatory for this race, with a provision that it be switched off once during the race and then on again. Random intervals of course.

That's one case of artificiality making a race more exciting i would have no problem with.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:What a crap race. A sprinkler system should be made mandatory for this race, with a provision that it be switched off once during the race and then on again. Random intervals of course.

That's one case of artificiality making a race more exciting i would have no problem with.

Shhh, don't give Bernie any ideas if the French Grand Prix goes to Paul Ricard... ;)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Did anyone else notice how Kovalainen, after his stop for a new front wing towards the end of the race, came out right in front of Glock, who himself had changed his front wing earlier on? I thought it was interesting seeing how both were right together at the end, having run fairly close at the start with Button in between them. I can't believe the Marussia was that close to the Caterham on race pace alone, so I suspect that maybe Kovalainen pitted once more than Glock perhaps?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Frentzen127 wrote:Everybody knows Soviet is best. ;)

This. Clearly this.

I third it. After Petrov finished 3rd in Australia last season I thought we might get lucky enough to hear it...

(The Soviet and the current Russian anthem share the same melody, just in case.)

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Nah, seriously speaking, God Save the Queen is not that bad. The melody is decent, and the lyrics may sound outdated - but I love the lyrics for the second verse, that I believe is almost never sang because it's not politically correct. The whole verse smells of "we are the best and the rest of the world hates us, may they go to hell!" and that's what I love about national anthems :mrgreen: It asks God to defend the Queen, "scatter her enemies, confound their politics, frustrate their knavish tricks" :lol:

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ferrim wrote:Nah, seriously speaking, God Save the Queen is not that bad. The melody is decent, and the lyrics may sound outdated - but I love the lyrics for the second verse, that I believe is almost never sang because it's not politically correct. The whole verse smells of "we are the best and the rest of the world hates us, may they go to hell!" and that's what I love about national anthems :mrgreen: It asks God to defend the Queen, "scatter her enemies, confound their politics, frustrate their knavish tricks" :lol:

Flower of Scotland is also a little bit politically incorrect, it's bascially about how the English tried to steal our country and we sent them packing. It's better than God Save the Queen because it's much more powerful, there is more passion that comes naturally from the song than God Save the Queen.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Im loving this Monaco Grand Prix discussion BTW :lol:
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Peter wrote:As long as Alonso can net some podiums, and we don't have a consistent race winner, meaning, no Webber or Vettel winning consistently, then he may very well have a championship this year. I sure hope so, because I was gutted at Abu Dhabi 2010.

I want Webber to win the championship, because I know Button won't.

I won't complain if Alonso wins though, because he's leading the championship and consistently scoring podiums in a car that's probably somewhere in the midfield. He's clearly the best driver in the sport.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

I think Jon Richardson summed it up best for me: "God save the queen is a shite national anthem because hardly anyone in this country believes in god and nobody voted for the queen!"
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

So, now I've had a chance to sleep and get my head sorted, I have to say; that was an absolute snoozefest! It was great seeing all the cars so close, especially at the front, but I don't recall anyone ever overtaking, or even trying. The rain during the race was too light and went away too soon to have an impact, and when the downpour came, the race was over. Thoroughly disappointing.

Also, am I the only one who feels Grosjean was not to blame for the first corner incident? I don't see how Grosjean could've been expected to avoid Michael, after bouncing off of Alonso - but perhaps more importantly, I think Schumacher's raced at Monaco enough to know that at the start, going around the absolute outside at Ste. Devote is a bad idea. He would've only ever lost places going there. Plus, the run down tightens, and if Schumacher and Grosjean didn't make contact there, they would've by the time they got to the corner.
Everything's great.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

redbulljack14 wrote:I won't complain if Alonso wins though, because he's leading the championship and consistently scoring podiums in a car that's probably somewhere in the midfield. He's clearly the best driver in the sport.

Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Nuppiz wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:I won't complain if Alonso wins though, because he's leading the championship and consistently scoring podiums in a car that's probably somewhere in the midfield. He's clearly the best driver in the sport.

I'd agre with that - now, anyway. I think the test at Mugello was just what they needed to get the car sorted.
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Also, am I the only one who feels Grosjean was not to blame for the first corner incident? I don't see how Grosjean could've been expected to avoid Michael, after bouncing off of Alonso - but perhaps more importantly, I think Schumacher's raced at Monaco enough to know that at the start, going around the absolute outside at Ste. Devote is a bad idea. He would've only ever lost places going there. Plus, the run down tightens, and if Schumacher and Grosjean didn't make contact there, they would've by the time they got to the corner.

Schumacher had no other choice but to run around the outside because of how badly Grosjean bogged it down. Interestingly enough, Grosjean probably saved Hamilton's afternoon as without him, Hamilton would have probably ended up behind BOTH Ferraris at turn 1 as both of them (Massa in particular) had made blindingly quick starts with Hamilton making a fairly average on.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:So, now I've had a chance to sleep and get my head sorted, I have to say; that was an absolute snoozefest! It was great seeing all the cars so close, especially at the front, but I don't recall anyone ever overtaking, or even trying. The rain during the race was too light and went away too soon to have an impact, and when the downpour came, the race was over. Thoroughly disappointing.

Also, am I the only one who feels Grosjean was not to blame for the first corner incident? I don't see how Grosjean could've been expected to avoid Michael, after bouncing off of Alonso - but perhaps more importantly, I think Schumacher's raced at Monaco enough to know that at the start, going around the absolute outside at Ste. Devote is a bad idea. He would've only ever lost places going there. Plus, the run down tightens, and if Schumacher and Grosjean didn't make contact there, they would've by the time they got to the corner.

I liked Perez barging through people. And the way he took advantage of Vergne being lapped to win a position. He might have pulled it off with Senna, Raikkonen and the Force Indias had they been closer to being lapped...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ferrim wrote:Nah, seriously speaking, God Save the Queen is not that bad. The melody is decent, and the lyrics may sound outdated - but I love the lyrics for the second verse, that I believe is almost never sang because it's not politically correct. The whole verse smells of "we are the best and the rest of the world hates us, may they go to hell!" and that's what I love about national anthems :mrgreen: It asks God to defend the Queen, "scatter her enemies, confound their politics, frustrate their knavish tricks" :lol:

A very patriotic anthem. But sadly, most English people are not in the least patriotic. And the Queen, I don't see why people don't like her, she earns the country millions of pounds in tourism and she doesn't do much anyway. God save the Queen is good but not the best, I feel Ru[i]le Britannia [/i ]would be more apt.