Why are F1 fans never satisfied?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Why are F1 fans never satisfied?

Post by Londoner »

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/900462-f1-unpredictability-may-be-a-turn-off-for-fans-says-jenson-button#ixzz1wCXDy5g2
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7784651/

I don't understand. Last season was a Vettel steamroller, and despite the races being exciting behind the leader, the result was never normally in doubt. People moaned about the lack of predictability in who would win the race/championships, much the same as they did during the Schumi domination years. Now this year, we've practically got a level playing field, with at least 5 teams and possibly even 7 teams having a realistic chance of victory. That's over half the grid. To me, that's absolutely fantastic, seeing as I grew up with F1 in the Schumi domination years. I want to see different drivers/teams other than the status quo score big, feel-good results, at the expense of the big teams. Yet, there's F1 fans moaning that's it's too unpredictable. Unless they're mega-fans of a certain driver, I don't understand. This has been by far the most exciting season since 2003 (2006 at a push), and yet they're still not satified. The mind boggles. :roll: :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Why are F1 fans never satisfied?

Post by shinji »

I don't see evidence that fans don't like the unpredictability in those articles, I see Button putting words in the fans mouths. Hardly surprising that it's the guy who's struggled the last few races that's come out and said this either.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

If one driver dominates, it kind of works both ways - the more established fans of the sport, who will already have their favourites, will often find hope that the dominant driver can be beaten,
as they have grown to dislike watching the same guy winning all the time, whereas newer fans (or ones who just support whoever they think is best i.e. 'glory-seekers') may well start to support
this driver, as they see him as the best there is.

I know during the Schumacher years, if someone asked me who I wanted to win a race, my answer would always be "Anyone but Schumacher", and in some ways it made the racing more satisfying,
watching in the hope that someone else would win. F1 is all about heroes-and-villains, if you have an emotional investment then there is more satisfaction when 'your driver' wins, or the driver
you dislike doesn't win, than if you only watch casually.
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

madmark1974 wrote:If one driver dominates, it kind of works both ways - the more established fans of the sport, who will already have their favourites, will often find hope that the dominant driver can be beaten,
as they have grown to dislike watching the same guy winning all the time, whereas newer fans (or ones who just support whoever they think is best i.e. 'glory-seekers') may well start to support
this driver, as they see him as the best there is.

I know during the Schumacher years, if someone asked me who I wanted to win a race, my answer would always be "Anyone but Schumacher", and in some ways it made the racing more satisfying,
watching in the hope that someone else would win. F1 is all about heroes-and-villains, if you have an emotional investment then there is more satisfaction when 'your driver' wins, or the driver
you dislike doesn't win, than if you only watch casually.

Established fans of the sport who are complaining about the 2012 season want one driver to dominate, the driver they are a fan of already. Newer fans want a sure thing bandwagon to jump onto.
I can only speak for myself, but I am liking the current season. I don't want a driver who I don't like to dominate, I don't want a band wagon to jump onto. Would the season be better for my personally if it was a driver I was backing and was a fan of running away with the WDC? Maybe, maybe not. It could get boring with a driver being the WDC 5 rounds from the end of a season regardless. It's better entertainment if it remains competitive until the last round hopefully.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Yep, the casuals and newbies can't find a bandwagon to jump onto. But, I bet two come along at once when it does happen.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Most of the complaints come from the top teams who are having a hissy fit they are not winning everything. The crying fans are fans of these big teams. Fans are satisfied, it's just fans don't sit in one camp they are spread and not everyone can win, you only hear from the losing side.
Message me on Discord.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Shadaza wrote:Most of the complaints come from the top teams who are having a hissy fit they are not winning everything. The crying fans are fans of these big teams. Fans are satisfied, it's just fans don't sit in one camp they are spread and not everyone can win, you only hear from the losing side.

This makes me think if F1 isn't suffering from too much "footballization". What do I mean, I hear you say? At least you should be thinking of it, anyway! I mean that there are lots of football fans who really aren't. How can someone be a football fan when she/he only sees games from her/his team? At most she/he is only a fan of that team. It happened with a cousin of mine. He was a fan of Schumacher and when Schumacher retired he simply stopped seeing F1. As he was German, not even when Vettel won he came back. He only came back when Schumacher returned, only to say that, after a few races, it wasn't the same as Schumacher wasn't winning and so F1 sucked. I think F1 also needs those fans, but should real F1 fans care about what these fans think? I don't think so, because experience tells me they will always come and go no matter what F1 powers do. What I dislike is that most of these fans come disguised of real "F1 fans" when talking about the sport. Don't get me wrong, they can become very knowledgeable but since they almost never resist to the end of an era and can influence the direction of the sport anyway, moaning things about F1 only to dump the sport shortly after just pisses me off...

By the way, I consider this my 4 era. I saw the end of the Mansell-Prost-Senna era and then it was the turn of Schumacher-Hill-Villeneuve-Hakkinen era which ended when Hill and Hakkinen retired. I consider here that Schumacher was also in another era, the naughties, called Schumacher-Alonso-Raikkonen era ending with Raikkonen's title. This is now the Hamilton-Button-Vettel era (It can be Alonso's too and Button came in his later years into the game, akin to his fellow countryman Mansell). I know that this is very arguable. Some people see this by technical rule changes.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

DanielPT wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Most of the complaints come from the top teams who are having a hissy fit they are not winning everything. The crying fans are fans of these big teams. Fans are satisfied, it's just fans don't sit in one camp they are spread and not everyone can win, you only hear from the losing side.

This makes me think if F1 isn't suffering from too much "footballization". What do I mean, I hear you say? At least you should be thinking of it, anyway! I mean that there are lots of football fans who really aren't. How can someone be a football fan when she/he only sees games from her/his team? At most she/he is only a fan of that team. It happened with a cousin of mine. He was a fan of Schumacher and when Schumacher retired he simply stopped seeing F1. As he was German, not even when Vettel won he came back. He only came back when Schumacher returned, only to say that, after a few races, it wasn't the same as Schumacher wasn't winning and so F1 sucked. I think F1 also needs those fans, but should real F1 fans care about what these fans think? I don't think so, because experience tells me they will always come and go no matter what F1 powers do. What I dislike is that most of these fans come disguised of real "F1 fans" when talking about the sport. Don't get me wrong, they can become very knowledgeable but since they almost never resist to the end of an era and can influence the direction of the sport anyway, moaning things about F1 only to dump the sport shortly after just pisses me off...

This. I am an F1 fan first and foremost, and a Kobayashi fan second. Speaking of football, I may be an Interista, but if I have free time to kill and I see any Serie A match on, I will watch it. Because I love the league, not just my own team. With the exception of Chievo Verona, because watching their style of play is worse than watching paint dry.

The last part doesn't just apply to F1, it applies to all walks of life, they will complain about something that exists at the forefront of their minds for all of five minutes and then drop the issue completely. The Stop HS2 campaign for example, people kicked up a fuss to start with, but then a year later most just didn't care. I am still against it because the core idea is all wrong, it's a complete waste of government money. It's in human nature for the world to be filled with selfish idiots who don't really deeply care about the issues, they just see something they don't like, moan, and then forget about it. It sickens me no end.

Image Image
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

kostas22 wrote:
The last part doesn't just apply to F1, it applies to all walks of life, they will complain about something that exists at the forefront of their minds for all of five minutes and then drop the issue completely.

Point in mind the Olympics:

I Keep hearing people being depressed about the Olympics about cost and security but the minute the Torch arrives crowds line the streets to cheer and everyone celebrates, every 5 seconds public consensus about the Olympics changes and I find it baffling.
Message me on Discord.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Why are F1 fans never satisfied? The same reason Sonic fans are never satisified; the fanbase is so horrifically broken, no two fans can agree on what they actually want, if they even know what it is they want in the first place.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:the fanbase is so horrifically broken, no two fans can agree on what they actually want, if they even know what it is they want in the first place.

I think the truth is right there. Some people want one thing, some people want a different one. The Autosport Forums are a good example - people there are ALWAYS complaining.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Why are F1 fans never satisfied? The same reason Sonic fans are never satisified; the fanbase is so horrifically broken, no two fans can agree on what they actually want, if they even know what it is they want in the first place.

Valid point, though there are still Sonic fans? They keep making awful game after awful (with hint of bestiality) game.

I am actually happy with how F1 is going, I think this season has been great and as a McLaren fan I wish the team luck for Canada and hope Button keeps his mouth shut for a while.
Message me on Discord.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Shadaza wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Why are F1 fans never satisfied? The same reason Sonic fans are never satisified; the fanbase is so horrifically broken, no two fans can agree on what they actually want, if they even know what it is they want in the first place.

Valid point, though there are still Sonic fans? They keep making awful game after awful (with hint of bestiality) game.

I am actually happy with how F1 is going, I think this season has been great and as a McLaren fan I wish the team luck for Canada and hope Button keeps his mouth shut for a while.

Agreed. This is the best season that I remember watching (even thogh I've only been watching properly since 2004)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head, but especially DanielPT. It's the people who are fans of a single driver or team who are pissed. Just bear in mind that when people latch onto a single driver, it's almost always someone at the very top. Personally I think those people have a bit of a historical aspect to their interest, not necessarily being interested in the history of the sport but wanting to be part of something of historical importance. It's like when a world-champion wins a race, it validates the time they've spent watching. It's been similar in golf until recently. If Tiger Woods didn't win, the tournament took on less historical significance in the eyes of many.

Like Kostas22 I think of myself as an F1 fan and want to keep it that way. (When I found myself becoming a bit of a Button fan last year I was perturbed, but I'm pleased to say that his recent lapses have not diminished my enjoyment of this year one iota). I think all of the drivers are great (they must be in order to get a drive in F1), with some being "more great" than others. I must say I'm plainly flabbergasted when I hear Lewis fans going on about how horrible Button is at racing, or how inept many people think Felipe is, or any number of other drivers. REALLY?! I'd wager that every driver in F1 could make you lose your lunch around 130R in a Ford Focus (to say nothing of an actual racing car). To say the differences are razor-thin doesn't do them justice. Maybe micron-thin.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

I suppose that F1 fans are satisfied just when their favourite driver/team wins and criticize Formula 1 everytime that a race results doesn't satisfy them. So it doesn't matter if they're watching a championship where almost everyone can win, they will still have something to make them not satisfied...
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I always been a Formula1 fan first, driver second. When Sutil was still racing, I'd always pay attention to his position and lap times whilst always watching the action on screen. If Sutil retired, it was a case of 'oh well. back to the race'. I wouldn't turn the race off just because he retired.

As for teams and drivers moaning about the tyres, tracks etc it's of course, the ones who think they would be winning all the time but are not. I haven't heard the likes of HRT or Marussia complain yet...

The thing I hate about so-called 'fans' is when they openly admit to 'watching the start only for the crashes'. That really, really gets me angry hearing that, like Formula1 is all about pile-up's and injury. I nearly throttled a lad at work last year when I was talking about Dan Wheldon's fatal accident the night it happened because he joked about it. It's just unnecessary.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

AdrianSutil wrote:The thing I hate about so-called 'fans' is when they openly admit to 'watching the start only for the crashes'. That really, really gets me angry hearing that, like Formula1 is all about pile-up's and injury. I nearly throttled a lad at work last year when I was talking about Dan Wheldon's fatal accident the night it happened because he joked about it. It's just unnecessary.

What a horrible thing. I'm wondering how can someone joke about a fatal crash. :cry:
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shadaza wrote:
kostas22 wrote:
The last part doesn't just apply to F1, it applies to all walks of life, they will complain about something that exists at the forefront of their minds for all of five minutes and then drop the issue completely.

I Keep hearing people being depressed about the Olympics about cost and security but the minute the Torch arrives crowds line the streets to cheer and everyone celebrates, every 5 seconds public consensus about the Olympics changes and I find it baffling.

Again, except myself. I have stated for, well, years now, that the Olympics was an enormous waste of money. I have good reason to be angry, Westminster has gone and pissed millions and millions of Scottish pounds down the toilet on the Olympics, for which we will get zero return. I hate the Olympics, I will continue to do so, I couldn't give a **** about this stupid arse torch procession, I hope some mad protestor steals it and and clubs Sebastien Coe in the face with it. And no, I'm not a hypocrite, I will not be watching the 100M Mens Final or any other event, because I simply have no time for them (metaphorically speaking). The five rings of the IOC should be dealth with LOTR style.

So yes, unlike most of the muppets in this 'United' Kingdom, I am not a hypocrite, I will not change my mind every five minutes, and anyone who complains about this F1 season is a [insert whatever expletive you like here].

Image Image
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Well, what are the fellows in Sheffield getting out of the Olympics, if you don't mind my ignorance and my asking?
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

It is better to stop here because I see this discussion following the path of a nationalistic political argument...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

kostas22 wrote:
Shadaza wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Again, except myself. I have stated for, well, years now, that the Olympics was an enormous waste of money. I have good reason to be angry, Westminster has gone and pissed millions and millions of Scottish pounds down the toilet on the Olympics, for which we will get zero return. I hate the Olympics, I will continue to do so, I couldn't give a **** about this stupid arse torch procession, I hope some mad protestor steals it and and clubs Sebastien Coe in the face with it. And no, I'm not a hypocrite, I will not be watching the 100M Mens Final or any other event, because I simply have no time for them (metaphorically speaking). The five rings of the IOC should be dealth with LOTR style.

So yes, unlike most of the muppets in this 'United' Kingdom, I am not a hypocrite, I will not change my mind every five minutes, and anyone who complains about this F1 season is a [insert whatever expletive you like here].

While I agree with the Olympics being a waste of time, Scotland is n ot the only place getting nothing from the Olympics. Essex, as far as I know, will receive sod all from the vanity-fest. We've spent billions of pounds, and what do we get? A new stadium, whcih while it does not look like crap, will go to West Ham who will struggle to fill half the ground, a few new trains, and half of Europe traipsing around London and Stratford, getting in everyone's way. London is bad enough without the Olympics, I cannot see how it will cope. Besides, a lot of people quite simply do not care about sweaty men running up and down, who can jump the furthest into a sandpit, and who can throw a pointy stick the furthest. I'd be more interested in the Olympics if there was a massive sandcastle competion in the longjump pit. And for those who do like the Olympics, the ticketing system is farciful. The government care too much about Mr and Mrs Zawadzka from Poland getting tickets than people from the HOST country, and the families of the athletes. How moronic. In short, the Olympics is an utter joke: a waste of time and money for 'sports' that most people only have a fleeting 'interest' in. We would be better off with the World Cup.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

I am looking forward to the Olympics, as I do any great sporting event. But then I'm not one to look at my wallet for every single value judgement. (Though missiles on peoples houses and a battleship in the Thames is a bit over excessive!)
Message me on Discord.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Shadaza wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

I went to the pub instead of watching the torch...

I don't like the Olympics; it's a waste of time and money. We will struggle to get the money back spent on it because a) tickets are quite expensive and b) money spent on many of the structures will probably end up decaying and be boarded up in a few years time. Plus, I'm more looking forward to Euro 2012, despite the Panorama on it last night putting doubts in my mind.
If the Olympics was more representative of UK as a sporting nation, we in West Country would have a great line-up of sports. Especially cheese-rolling...you wouldn't even need to build any stadiums or whatever.

Now on topic...

I tend to get bored when the same person wins over and over again. This season has been my kind of season; it's exciting, and there's definitely everything to play for. I think Button is just carping on because he probably wanted to keep some form going after he won in Australia, and with the grid as it is he currently is unable to. I'd imagine, though, that Alonso is loving it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:The thing I hate about so-called 'fans' is when they openly admit to 'watching the start only for the crashes'. That really, really gets me angry hearing that, like Formula1 is all about pile-up's and injury. I nearly throttled a lad at work last year when I was talking about Dan Wheldon's fatal accident the night it happened because he joked about it. It's just unnecessary.

What a horrible thing. I'm wondering how can someone joke about a fatal crash. :cry:

Especially you know, what DonTirri was doing last year, in the DonTirrigate... :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jenson Button wrote:I don’t know but hopefully a pattern will emerge after the next couple of races and we’ll understand the teams and drivers we need to beat to win the championship.

Um, not to point out the obvious or anything, but I think you'll have to beat everybody to win the championship, Jenson.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

I'd say that there are definitely quite a few different factions that are complaining about the sport as it currently stands, and with fairly different reasons why. There are certainly quite a few who are complaining, overtly or covertly, because their favoured driver/team have fallen from grace under the current regulations, a number of whom might be casual fans who might have entered the sport after watching a particular driver or team do well.

Against that, there is a group that are effectively the polar opposite as they have watched the sport for much longer - typically since the 1980's, but sometimes older - who seek a return to what they perceive as the "golden era" of the sport as they perceived it in their youth. If you look at the nature of the sport of that time, there rarely were any more than a couple of teams in each season who were genuinely competitive at any one time (McLaren, Williams, sometimes Ferrari and Benetton in the early 1990's); there are no doubt quite a few people who believe that is therefore natural for the sport to be dominated by a small group of drivers and teams, and perceive the current openness as running counter to the normal state of affairs within the sport. There are probably quite a few fans who also came to the sport in the 1990's when refuelling was introduced, and came to associate the sport with the high speed "sprint race" format of that era (not to mention ever increasing lap speeds despite the efforts of the FIA to hold things in check).

Often associated with those would be those fans that are mainly interested in F1 from the technical perspective (I must admit to being partially in this group), where the racing itself is almost ancillary to the technological advances that they see or wish to see from the sport. Their rant against the current situation is not necessarily just about the chaotic nature of the sport as it stands, but the current situation serves as a platform for their wider tirades against the increasingly strict regulations that the FIA imposes, particularly where the changes are being made merely to limit the competitiveness of one or two teams (such as banning the off throttle exhaust blown diffusers), and the fact that they feel that the FIA should not be intervening to level out the field in that way.
As far as they are concerned, they feel that it should be the case that "to the victor goes the spoils", to the extent that some preferred seeing Vettel dominate in 2011 because they felt it rewarded the combination of team and driver that had found a way to out think and out drive their rivals. To them, the current tyres are an anathema because there is a certain amount of randomness that they believe diminishes the importance of the designers and drivers (Williams admitted that whilst they were thrilled to win in Barcelona, they were also confused as to whether the upgrades they'd brought to Barcelona really were working because the variation in the performance of the tyres was far greater than any quantifiable benefit in the performance of the new parts).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:While I agree with the Olympics being a waste of time, Scotland is not the only place getting nothing from the Olympics. Essex, as far as I know, will receive sod all from the vanity-fest. We've spent billions of pounds, and what do we get? A new stadium, whcih while it does not look like crap, will go to West Ham who will struggle to fill half the ground, a few new trains, and half of Europe traipsing around London and Stratford, getting in everyone's way. London is bad enough without the Olympics, I cannot see how it will cope. Besides, a lot of people quite simply do not care about sweaty men running up and down, who can jump the furthest into a sandpit, and who can throw a pointy stick the furthest. I'd be more interested in the Olympics if there was a massive sandcastle competion in the longjump pit. And for those who do like the Olympics, the ticketing system is farciful. The government care too much about Mr and Mrs Zawadzka from Poland getting tickets than people from the HOST country, and the families of the athletes. How moronic. In short, the Olympics is an utter joke: a waste of time and money for 'sports' that most people only have a fleeting 'interest' in. We would be better off with the World Cup.

We in Essex also have the Mountain Biking in Hadleigh Park, on Salvation Army grounds (in my borough council). With massive multi-million pound roadworks that have caused severe delays and are running late - makes me glad that I have quit work and gone off to uni on the other side of London... What has annoyed me about the Olympics is the ticketing process. I live in a borough hosting an Olympic sport, I have studied for both of my degrees in London, (and I have my 30th birthday on the day of the Closing Ceremony) but could I get any Olympic tickets? Nope. (OK so I have Paralympic tickets for Brands Hatch for my mum's birthday, but still... ) It's a complete lottery. My taxes equally pay for it and even I can't see what benefit I am getting from it, despite living and studying in the region itself! Oh, and I'll be in Paris on the day the torch passes through my borough...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Everyone does need to bear in mind however that the Olympics are awarded to a city, not a country and are thus different from other events like the World Cup, etc.

Kostas, your rants about the perceived inequality between Scotland and the rest of the country are completely unfounded and are typical of the nationalistic, independence-seeking rhetoric that seems to spew from the SNP and many Scottish people these days. It's rather tiresome to see it re-iterated over and over again, especially in a forum which shouldn't have to contemplate going anywhere near those sorts of issues. Save the moaning for when an independent Scotland has to go running to the IMF for a helping hand when things turn out quite less rosy than initially imagined! ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Am I the only one on this forum who is? :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Everyone does need to bear in mind however that the Olympics are awarded to a city, not a country and are thus different from other events like the World Cup, etc.

Kostas, your rants about the perceived inequality between Scotland and the rest of the country are completely unfounded and are typical of the nationalistic, independence-seeking rhetoric that seems to spew from the SNP and many Scottish people these days. It's rather tiresome to see it re-iterated over and over again, especially in a forum which shouldn't have to contemplate going anywhere near those sorts of issues. Save the moaning for when an independent Scotland has to go running to the IMF for a helping hand when things turn out quite less rosy than initially imagined! ;)

Typical Unionist tripe, trying to tell us we can't survive on our own, despite the fact England takes more money from us than we get back :roll:

Also, if the Olympics is a city-based event, then the budget for it should not come from a nationwide source. But it has. London money for the London games I would have been fine with, but this is just a joke.
DanielPT, it's not my fault, what am I supposed to do, sit back and see my country attacked like this?

There is no such thing as on-topic in F1 Rejects.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I am in no way a Unionist, and I couldn't care less if Scotland gained independence or not! In fact, I think it would probably be the best thing to happen to England if it cut ties with Scotland completely. I'm curious to see whether the rhetoric and statements such as your own will prove correct, though I fear it may well be something less satisfying with little industry, a high rate of unemployment and a swollen public sector. I honestly can't see how it can work out favourably for Scotland if it gained independence, and that's it I'm afraid. As a human geographer, the topic is of great interest to me. Conversely, I have little interest in the various political opinions on the matter.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What is Jenson smoking? This is the best season in years! I'm far from unsatisfied! Sorry, that's probably the first idiotic statement from Jenson. He's usually a reserved person, or at least someone who doesn't make unsatisfactory comments!

Sorry about the outburst, but the comment is a mind blow.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

East Londoner wrote:I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Am I the only one on this forum who is? :(

I don't think so. What's more I predict enormous off topic posts about Olympic events during that 2,5 weeks. :) :)

To answer the title question: People are never satisfied. Period.

I remember really well the races from most years which I watched. But I can't seperate most of the 2002 and 2004 races from each other, there's just nothing to remember them for.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Jenson needs to concentrate on Formula One, again. He's never going to win the championship while fighting for 13th place with Kovalainen, anyway. He didn't attend the Misano test, he's acting like a show person lately (Budapest street ride, BBC-show, etc.), and his performance seems to suffer the consequences.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think any post I make that is longer than a one liner should automatically be followed by this gif (courtesy of Wizzie's Free Popcorn Ltd.);

Image Image
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What is Jenson smoking? This is the best season in years! I'm far from unsatisfied! Sorry, that's probably the first idiotic statement from Jenson. He's usually a reserved person, or at least someone who doesn't make unsatisfactory comments!

It's not a mind blow. Alain Prost arguably brought up the same points he did, and neither are exactly pleased with F1 at the moment. And yes, it is a turn-off.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Pamphlet wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:What is Jenson smoking? This is the best season in years! I'm far from unsatisfied! Sorry, that's probably the first idiotic statement from Jenson. He's usually a reserved person, or at least someone who doesn't make unsatisfactory comments!

It's not a mind blow. Alain Prost arguably brought up the same points he did, and neither are exactly pleased with F1 at the moment. And yes, it is a turn-off.

And what was Alain Prost well known for? Expert whiner.

My mind can't even comprehend how something as exciting as this F1 season can possibly be disliked. I mean, what is the human thought process necessary to come to that conclusion, that the sport is worse off for having unpredictability?

The most interesting thing that has happened in the WTCC this year was D'Aste winning in Austria. How did that happen? Yokohama brought rubbish tyres to the track. That was accidental, but it produced an unexpected and exciting result. Pirelli aren't bringing rubbish tyres, but deliberately imperfect, and it has spiced things up nicely.

Look at it from a football perspective; would you prefer to watch a match that is 6-0 or 4-4? In a 6-0, only the fans of the winning team remember the match. In a 4-4, all fans of the sport remember, regardless of who played. I have read comments from Liverpool, Manchester, Chelsea fans getting goosebumps while watching Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4 from the 2010/11 season, neutrals were on the edge of their seats becauase it was chaos. Arsenal 3 up within 10 minutes, the Diaby sent off, then 2 penalties for Newcastle, it was unpredictabe chaos.

This F1 season has been the same. The unpredictable nature has given the sport an extra edge it has lacked previously. It's a great feeling getting to the start of a race and having zero idea who will win. If we go back to the early 2000s after a deliberate rule change to stop this sort of racing I will be extremely upset at the FIA, F1 hasn't been this good in a long time...

Image Image
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

kostas22 wrote:And what was Alain Prost well known for? Expert whiner.

I'd sooner trust the second best driver of all time than an armchair expert. The current situation not just confuses the non-driver members of a team, but completely devalues the work they do.

kostas22 wrote:My mind can't even comprehend how something as exciting as this F1 season can possibly be disliked. I mean, what is the human thought process necessary to come to that conclusion, that the sport is worse off for having unpredictability?

The only thing I can agree with is that it's not the unpredictability that is turning anyone off at all. If anything, the races are more predictable than ever - the only person who hasn't won from pole this year is Hamilton. Barring that, the racing this year lacks any sort of racing "feel". If even Hamilton has to preserve his tyres and drive way below his potential then something is horribly wrong.

Increased number of overtakes != better racing. Especially as most are done when one's tyres are significantly more worn than the other's.

kostas22 wrote:Look at it from a football perspective; would you prefer to watch a match that is 6-0 or 4-4? In a 6-0, only the fans of the winning team remember the match. In a 4-4, all fans of the sport remember, regardless of who played. I have read comments from Liverpool, Manchester, Chelsea fans getting goosebumps while watching Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4 from the 2010/11 season, neutrals were on the edge of their seats becauase it was chaos. Arsenal 3 up within 10 minutes, the Diaby sent off, then 2 penalties for Newcastle, it was unpredictabe chaos.

I enjoyed City's 6-1 trashing of United more than that 4-4. And I hate City.

And I'm not even the only one, if my group of friends is anything to go by.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Pamphlet wrote:'d sooner trust the second best driver of all time than an armchair expert. The current situation not just confuses the non-driver members of a team, but completely devalues the work they do.

It doesn't take an expert to know whether something is exciting or not, excitment is an emotion, not a complicated technical of F1.

Pamphlet wrote:I enjoyed City's 6-1 trashing of United more than that 4-4. And I hate City.

And I'm not even the only one, if my group of friends is anything to go by.

That specific example is not a fair and accurate comaprison, a derby of that proprtion will be remembered regardless the scoreline. It essentially decided the fate of the title this season (not that anyone knew it at the time). It has reasons of significance above and beyond the scoreline, so it's not surprising people will remember it.

Image Image