RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Re: The Marussia Thread

Post by JJMonty »

It sounds like she went under the truck and her head took the brunt of the impact :(

Accelerated suddenly? Bloody hell! I hope this was a technical problem like a stuck throttle rather than driver error i.e. hit throttle instead of brake.

Eitherway, fingers crossed that she is not as badly injured as the news is making it out to be :(
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Everything I've heard (what little I have heard) suggests a stuck throttle. I don't think that's as important as wishing that de Villota isn't seriously injured, however.

This certainly throws a cloud over the British GP.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
mario

Post by mario »

madmark1974 wrote:Hoep you guys don't mind the 'live updates', but the BBC story has been updated again :

The East of England Ambulance Service said Villota had suffered life-threatening injuries.

BBC Cambridgeshire presenter Chris Mann, who witnessed the crash, said the car had completed a circuit when it "suddenly accelerated" into the back of the lorry.

"From where I was standing it looked like the helmet took the brunt of the impact," he said.

It sounds like a very strange and disconcerting accident - it does sound as if something went wrong with the car rather than being a driver error, which must be little comfort for Glock and Pic. Although the indication so far is that the impact took place at a relatively low speed, given that her head seems to have struck the tailgate of the truck with some force I am nevertheless quite concerned and, like many others here, hope that the reports in the media of serious injuries prove to be exaggerated.
[EDIT] Racecar Engineering are also reporting on this story, and are suggesting that Villota may have been caught out by the anti-stall system on the car, which automatically opens the throttle to 50% if first gear is engaged and travelling very slowly, as you might be if returning to the garage after systems checks.
This sounds very much like the cars anti stall system engaged at the end of the run. Inexperienced drivers having their first runs in a F1 car can be caught out by this. As they slow to stop the car or make a low speed turn (for example into a garage) they lift off the throttle and let the revs drop. The ECU senses this and sets throttle to around 50% with the car still in first gear resulting in a sudden acceleration such as the one described.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... ing-crash/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

They are suggesting that she went into the back of the track doing 30-40 mph..... At such a "low speed" (as they describe it), then surely there is something wrong with the helmet and crash protection?

I had a nasty crash about 3 1/2 years ago whilst racing, went underneath a wall doing 75mph due to brake failure, however my helmet stayed in one piece but I ended up with concusion and damage to my nerves in my neck - all of which took about 7 months to recover from.

Anyways my point, a slower speed crash in an F1 car with much better safety standards than karting offers shouldn't have lead to an injury this severe! :o Either people are lying about the speed of the impact, or the journalists are exagerating.

Or am I missing something here? :?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

JJMonty wrote:They are suggesting that she went into the back of the track doing 30-40 mph..... At such a "low speed" (as they describe it), then surely there is something wrong with the helmet and crash protection?

I had a nasty crash about 3 1/2 years ago whilst racing, went underneath a wall doing 75mph due to brake failure, however my helmet stayed in one piece but I ended up with concusion and damage to my nerves in my neck - all of which took about 7 months to recover from.

Anyways my point, a slower speed crash in an F1 car with much better safety standards than karting offers shouldn't have lead to an injury this severe! :o Either people are lying about the speed of the impact, or the journalists are exagerating.

Obviously, I have no idea what the wall you hit was made out of but lorry bumpers tend to be very, VERY solidly built. :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I suspect there's a slight element of exaggeration in all of this, there always is when the media gets hold of a news story, but from the description of the incident, and what Mario raises with the Racecar Engineering article, which seems highly likely, it is still a very unpleasant incident.

And on top of everything it means she'll almost certainly not make it to the Marussia factory tour on Thursday which is a bugger!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
JJMonty

Post by JJMonty »

Wizzie wrote:
JJMonty wrote:They are suggesting that she went into the back of the track doing 30-40 mph..... At such a "low speed" (as they describe it), then surely there is something wrong with the helmet and crash protection?

Obviously, I have no idea what the wall you hit was made out of but lorry bumpers tend to be very, VERY solidly built. :|

Tyre wall followed by an armco type barrier. Agreed, not as hard as a lorry bumper... but still hard to shift! I'm lucky that I didn't end up with worse injuries to be fair. I can't remember a thing of the accident but people said I just ploughed through the wall and went under it. I'm guessing something similar to Cevert's crash.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Wizzie wrote:

From what I can tell, she slid into the side of the loading ramp on the back of the lorry, which may have meant the car slid under it a bit, but her head clipped the ramp, thereby acting as a brake.

Also, if she was very unlucky, the visor may have taken the impact rather than the 'meat' of the helmet ...

Report now says head and facial injuries, but that she is stable BTW.
Last edited by madmark1974 on 03 Jul 2012, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Here's a good photo just after it happened it seems:

http://twitpic.com/a3duh9/full

You can see the car underneath the ramp on the right hand side of the photo. Clearly the end of the ramp has smashed her in the head, hopefully the helmet has done a good-enough job.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

AndreaModa wrote:Here's a good photo just after it happened it seems:

http://twitpic.com/a3duh9/full

You can see the car underneath the ramp on the right hand side of the photo. Clearly the end of the ramp has smashed her in the head, hopefully the helmet has done a good-enough job.

Jikes. If that's not bad luck, I don't know what is. :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

My colleagues at BBC Radio Cambridgeshire have tweeted a photo of the scene, nothing insensitive but gives you some idea of the geography of the crash:

http://twitpic.com/a3duh9

EDIT: Sorry, didn't spot this had been posted already.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

http://audioboo.fm/boos/871249

A description of the incident from BBC Radio Cambridgeshire's Chris Mann, including a clip of the incident actually happening (don't worry, nothing horrible, just the engine noise, a bang and then shouting).

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

What I have been wondering all along is why their lorry was ever in a position where it could ever have been hit by the F1 car in the first place. I always imagined that they would have been parked far to the side of the airstrip being used, and not parked at the end of the strip where the car was running. Here's hoping that she makes a full recovery.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

AndreaModa wrote:BBC Radio Cambridgeshire's Chris Mann

It has to be a coincidence that the name is related to dr-baker, right?

Anyway, I just saw that picture, and to me it really is a heavy incident. I really hope she will get out of this in one piece. Hoping for the best!

Also, I wonder if the team is actually going to get closer to Caterham with the upgrades, however I highly doubt it. Slowly and steadily Kovalainen starts to score Q2 results on merit.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

The BBC story has now been updated with a link to the local news TV story - probably for UK only ...

Here's the link again :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18685789
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

madmark1974 wrote:The BBC story has now been updated with a link to the local news TV story - probably for UK only ...

Here's the link again :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18685789

It's not UK-only, Iwas able to see it and hear the reporter call her 'Marussia de Villota' :?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

tommykl wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:The BBC story has now been updated with a link to the local news TV story - probably for UK only ...

It's not UK-only, Iwas able to see it and hear the reporter call her 'Marussia de Villota' :?

It's okay, retarded news reporters are a common occurrence, the one on 5 Live kept saying Maria de Villota with the 'o' pronounced as in 'open' instead of as in 'lot' :roll:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

That is a very nasty crash looking at the pic. Fingers crossed she's ok.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianSutil wrote:That is a very nasty crash looking at the pic. Fingers crossed she's ok.

The latest news coming through is a bit more encouraging - the team have confirmed that de Villota is in a stable condition, is conscious and has been able to briefly speak to her parents to let them know she is OK, although they are currently waiting to hear more from the medical teams before they make any further announcements.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

This on the same day Sergio Pininfarina, designer of the Ferrari Testarossa, has died. This is definitely not a good day for motor enthusiasts. Let's hope María will recover successfully and swiftly from this.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

mario wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:That is a very nasty crash looking at the pic. Fingers crossed she's ok.

The latest news coming through is a bit more encouraging - the team have confirmed that de Villota is in a stable condition, is conscious and has been able to briefly speak to her parents to let them know she is OK, although they are currently waiting to hear more from the medical teams before they make any further announcements.

Great news then. No driver deserves to be taken to hospital, no matter how brilliant/rejectful they are.

Any more news, Mario or anyone else, on what actually caused it? I'm hearing she simply lost it, stuck throttle and anti-stall system on various websites.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

AdrianSutil wrote:
mario wrote:

Great news then. No driver deserves to be taken to hospital, no matter how brilliant/rejectful they are.

Any more news, Mario or anyone else, on what actually caused it? I'm hearing she simply lost it, stuck throttle and anti-stall system on various websites.

Unlikely to be stuck throttle it seems, the engineers came up to the car as she came in, so she must have slowed the car sufficiently for them to approach it safely. I'm subscribing to what Racecar Engineering speculated, about the anti-stall, but we won't know for a while yet officially I suspect.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
karsten

Post by karsten »

i don't underestand the dynamic of it by the pictures, it makes no sense to me.
Missing the good old Minardi! T_T
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Looks like a quite a nasty crash. I hope she's alright. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

AdrianSutil wrote:
mario wrote:

Beyond what has already been said, no, I am afraid that I do not have much more of an idea as to the causes of this accident - at the moment, the team are, understandably, more concerned about de Villota, whilst the Cambridgeshire Police have only just started their crash investigation. For now, I guess that all we can do is wait and see what they can find from going through all the data and witness reports, which may be a lengthy process.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It sounds very nasty but it couldve been worse, it sounds like the driver is out of danger at least.
Just For One Day...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I suppose if one is to find a positive in this, it's that safety is only compromised in bizarre, fluky circumstances.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

That looked extremely nasty :( At that angle, I hope the helmet visor wasn't punctured by the truck.

As dr-baker pointed out, why was the truck any where near the testing area? I know it was just a straight line test but that was asking for trouble. And unfortunately, trouble happened. :(
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Very strange and sad incident. However I guess there will be more overkill about cockpit protection now. F1 has always had open cockpits. And I hope it will always do.
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

pasta_maldonado wrote:That looked extremely nasty :( At that angle, I hope the helmet visor wasn't punctured by the truck.

As dr-baker pointed out, why was the truck any where near the testing area? I know it was just a straight line test but that was asking for trouble. And unfortunately, trouble happened. :(

You could see from the photos that it wasn't. The problem is she shouldn't have been driving into the service area, instead her car should have been wheeled in like in a normal F1 weekend, not driven in like it is a WRC car. The engine should have been switched off before it got near the lorry.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

According to what I read on twitter, at present Maria De Villota is having a surgery operation because of her skull injury. :(
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
eichy

Post by eichy »

I read that she does indeed have a fractured skull.
American
JORDAN GRAND PRIX FOREVER
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Carlos de Gracia (president of Spanish Automobile Federation), who´s close friend of the family, just said on the radio that she´s gone to the operating room this evening due to a skull fractured and she´s still under surgery.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

I wish my best, For all it will do. Hope she makes a full recovery.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I really hope she recovers.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Monstrobolaxa

Post by Monstrobolaxa »

Find the anti-stall story hard to swallow.
The cars I've worked with just disengage the clutch when anti-stall kicks in.

So if you're driving into the pits for a pit-stop as you slow down and forget to pull the clutch the throttle opens to 50%? So does it mean the front jack is runned over?

If they spin what's the need of 50% throttle? The engine may still stall this way.
Last edited by Monstrobolaxa on 04 Jul 2012, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
mario

Post by mario »

Monstrobolaxa wrote:Find the anti-stall story hard to swallow.
The cars I've worked with just disengage the clutch when anti-stall kicks in.

So if you're driving into the pits for a pit-stop as you slow down and forget to pull the clutch the throttle opens to 50%? So does it mean the front jack is runned over?

If they spin what's the need of 50% throttle? The engine may still stay this way.

On review, it does seem that your doubts about some sort of malfunction with the anti-stall system are well founded - Racecar Engineering have retracted that earlier comment, which suggests that they were mistaken too.
S951

Post by S951 »

I am so seriously upset for Maria I know she was bought in for promo and tests but no one deserves this utterly devastated for her

@ianparkesf1: Marussia have confirmed Maria De Villota has sadly lost her right eye as a result of yesterday's accident.
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

She has lost her right eye. One of the worst injuries a person, let alone a professional racing driver, can suffer. :(
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

I've just seen this too, and that, sadly is a career ending injury in motorsport. Devastated for her. :(
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.