2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Re: 2012 German Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by sswishbone »

For avoidance of all doubt, all possibilites for any punishment for Vettel are: -

a) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping.
b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.
If either of the two penalties above are imposed during the last five laps, or after the end of a race, Article 16.4b) below will not apply and 20 seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of a) above and 30 seconds in the case of b).
c) A time penalty.
d) A reprimand.
If any of the four penalties above are imposed they shall not be subject to appeal.
e) A drop of any number of grid positions at the driver's next Event.
f) Exclusion from the results.
g) Suspension from the driver's next Event.

of those it'll either be a drive through adjusted or a reprimand in my opinion, should any action be taken at all

Horner disagrees with the pundits and the two people who've done race stewarding, no surprise there, what is surprising he claims Jenson pushed him wide... err... How?
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

sswishbone wrote:
mario wrote:
sswishbone wrote:Vettel shhould get a penalty for that, passing off the track is illegal, and it needs to be stamped out!

The stewards have confirmed that they are investigating the issue, so it is possible that Vettel will get a penalty for that (nice touch by Button to inform Vettel that he was being investigated by the stewards). Whilst Vettel's excuse for going off track was that he couldn't see Button and was leaving room for him (that was what it sounded like he said), the fact that he stayed on full throttle is not going to help his cause because it looks like he was intent on passing come what may.

Thing here, looking at the footage, vettel's car was not ahead of Button at any time before he floored it, so hope they give instant penalty, swithc back, time penalty, grid penalty, whatever, give the penalty

The only reason why I am being a little cautious is that I would not be entirely surprised if the stewards were pushed towards awarding a deferred penalty - i.e. a grid penalty for the next race - rather than antagonise the German fans.
If Vettel is given a time penalty, though, it'll please quite a few drivers - a 25s time penalty, which would probably be the penalty that would be levied (being roughly equivalent to a drive through in terms of time loss), would be enough to drop Vettel from 2nd to 6th (had Schumacher been a few hundredths faster, that would be 7th). I can imagine that Ferrari might be especially keen for that to happen - it'd help eke Alonso's lead out further in the WDC and they'd erode Red Bull Racing's lead in the WCC slightly too given Webber's relatively poor race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

If they don't penalise Vettel here then they may as well not have this rule.

He went fully off track while behind Button, and was fully in front of Button when he rejoined, end of.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Vettel punished with 20 seconds, demoted to 5th!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
mario

Post by mario »

Ferrim wrote:Vettel punished with 20 seconds, demoted to 5th!

Confirmation of Vettel's penalty here, along with confirmation that Kimi is now awarded 3rd place and Kobayashi is up into 4th: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101426
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Thank god for that! Thank you stewards for restoring some faith in you! That pass was illegal and the penalty was fair (an equivalent to a Drive Through).
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

mario wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Vettel punished with 20 seconds, demoted to 5th!

Confirmation of Vettel's penalty here, along with confirmation that Kimi is now awarded 3rd place and Kobayashi is up into 4th: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101426

Best finish of Kobayashi's career!!!
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Quite pleased about this. Hopefully Alonso can get DSQ'd for a technical infringement and Kobayashi can get a podium finish :mrgreen: But that's perhaps a bit too optimistic
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Vettel's manouver remind me a little what Kimi did in the race start of Belgian grand prix of 2009 and in that occasion, Kimi wasn't punished. Oh stewards, you robbed first FI victory! :(

JeremyMcClean wrote:Quite pleased about this. Hopefully Alonso can get DSQ'd for a technical infringement and Kobayashi can get a podium finish :mrgreen: But that's perhaps a bit too optimistic

Hopefully Alonso, Button and Kimi get DSQ'd and Kobayashi can get a win. :mrgreen:

fixed.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Does Kamui unrejectify himself with this result, or was he already not a reject?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:Does Kamui unrejectify himself with this result, or was he already not a reject?

Kobayashi unrejectified himself long ago.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:Does Kamui unrejectify himself with this result, or was he already not a reject?

Where the hell have you been for the past year? :lol:

He scored a 5th in Monaco last year which did it for him. ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

He had already made it out of rejectdom.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Definitely the right decision, all vettel needed to do was wait one lap and none of this would have happened, still, thank you stewards
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Our Lord Kobayashi's career results showed two 5ths and three 6ths before today's 4th.

May He take mercy on you for doubting about his unrejectfulness.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And all I have in reply is: :oops: :oops: :oops: . May HWNSNBM have mercy on my soul.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Excuse me but Button forced Vettel off track so should of got the penalty not Vettel....
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

WeirdKerr wrote:Excuse me but Button forced Vettel off track so should of got the penalty not Vettel....

What? Jenson was ahead so was perfectly entitled to take his usual racing line. Vettel was impatient, and it's come back to haunt him. :roll:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

WeirdKerr wrote:Excuse me but Button forced Vettel off track so should of got the penalty not Vettel....

Let's see... deliberately change direction? No. Touch the other driver's car? No. Slow down unreasonably on the racing line? No, Leave less than a car width outside his line? No.

The jury find your argument false, case dismissed!

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

sswishbone wrote:

Let's see... deliberately change direction? No. Touch the other driver's car? No. Slow down unreasonably on the racing line? No, Leave less than a car width outside his line? No.

I think you will find that the last point is yes.... Button ran Vettel out of road by forcing the german wide..... which left vettel with nowhere to go
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

WeirdKerr wrote:
sswishbone wrote:

I think you will find that the last point is yes.... Button ran Vettel out of road by forcing the german wide..... which left vettel with nowhere to go

Button was clearly ahead and had the inside line, so IF he wanted to nudge Vettel out wide he's perfectly intitled to do so. What Vettel did was wrong, not Button. End of discussion. Get over it.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Anyone who says Vettel's penalty was not deserved is clearly biased. He deliberately went off the road to take the position, that is unequivocal. 20 seconds is a bit harsh, but the regulations don't allow the stewards to do a straight swap of position, so, 20 seconds is more just than no seconds.

Excellent result for Sauber. Both guys really stepped up in the race. If Peter Sauber really was unhappy about his drivers' performances, this should cheer him up.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

WeirdKerr wrote:
sswishbone wrote:

I would respectfully disagree with your comment on that aspect - the overhead footage suggests that, at the point that Vettel started to leave the circuit, Button was providing Vettel with at least a cars width of room between himself and the edge of the track, as outlined in the sporting code.

kostas22 wrote:Anyone who says Vettel's penalty was not deserved is clearly biased. He deliberately went off the road to take the position, that is unequivocal. 20 seconds is a bit harsh, but the regulations don't allow the stewards to do a straight swap of position, so, 20 seconds is more just than no seconds.

Excellent result for Sauber. Both guys really stepped up in the race. If Peter Sauber really was unhappy about his drivers' performances, this should cheer him up.

Asides from the fact that 20 seconds is the default penalty, in some ways it is appropriate - Charlie Whiting had made it absolutely clear that he had instructed the stewards to be quite strict if it was felt that drivers were leaving the circuit to gain an advantage, and had reiterated that point in the driver briefings quite clearly. I believe that the stewards even went as far as cancelling some of the lap times of several drivers during qualifying - I know that Vettel was given a formal warning for overuse of the Turn 1 run off area and had at least one of his laps stripped from him in Q1 (with Grosjean and Hamilton also running wide at Turn 1 and having a lap time deleted in Q1 for the very same reason, showing that the stewards were at least consistent in enforcing that rule), so it was no idle threat.
Added to that, it could also be noted that the severity of the penalty acts as a deterrent - I know that some were calling for a smaller time penalty (in the order of five seconds, as was imposed in Valencia a few years ago) so Vettel and Button would have their places reversed.
Whilst there is a logic in that, at the same time it would not discourage other drivers from trying a similar move themselves - if the worst that would happen is that you end up back where you were, and in the best scenario you might keep the place (for more ambiguous situation), why wouldn't you try doing something like that then? Vettel's penalty, therefore, makes it clearer that the FIA will not tolerate those sorts of antics and should act as a stronger deterrent against leaving the track.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think a penalty is the right decision, but 20 seconds is too harsh - they should have just swapped the places round. Much as I approve of Kamui getting 4th.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone!

This WAS HRT's race!
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

GwilymJJames wrote:De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone! De la Rosa overtook someone!

This WAS HRT's race!

Who was it? I'm assuming Glock.
S951

Post by S951 »

thank the papayas the finger got demoted bloody good race by Alonso agree with sentiments he is doing one hell of a job in a car that is not the best (good but not the bets all rounder)
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Dj_bereta wrote:Vettel's manouver remind me a little what Kimi did in the race start of Belgian grand prix of 2009 and in that occasion, Kimi wasn't punished. Oh stewards, you robbed first FI victory! :(

Going off-topic, but... Ever since we first had that argument on this forum, I've wondered if the members wouldn't have cared so much from Kimi's manouvre if it hadn't denied Fisichella from taking a victory for Force India, which at the time was one of the forum's biggest favourites (due to their underdog nature).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Of course. Just like no one apart from the F1 Rejects Sect remembers what happened to Luca Badoer a certain day of 1999.

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Nuppiz wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Vettel's manouver remind me a little what Kimi did in the race start of Belgian grand prix of 2009 and in that occasion, Kimi wasn't punished. Oh stewards, you robbed first FI victory! :(

Going off-topic, but... Ever since we first had that argument on this forum, I've wondered if the members wouldn't have cared so much from Kimi's manouvre if it hadn't denied Fisichella from taking a victory for Force India, which at the time was one of the forum's biggest favourites (due to their underdog nature).

I have never really liked FI, probably because all their cars have looked terrible.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh boy, the F1 Slate are gonna have a field day with this race. Can't bloody wait for it. :lol:
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:Oh boy, the F1 Slate are gonna have a field day with this race. Can't bloody wait for it. :lol:

I just can't wait for bestofbritish, that's always the funniest one.
Whis

Post by Whis »

i really like how Massa it's always crap and in the meantime his teammate always stay on top. and they laughed at Badoer... oh boy :roll:
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Kostas, Mario, go check the Unpopular Opinions thread and look about my latest comment about Vettel. :twisted:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

FMecha wrote:Kostas, Mario, go check the Unpopular Opinions thread and look about my latest comment about Vettel. :twisted:

Normally I'd let that slide but now it's starting to get borderline pointless and irritating. :|
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Wizzie wrote:
FMecha wrote:Kostas, Mario, go check the Unpopular Opinions thread and look about my latest comment about Vettel. :twisted:

Normally I'd let that slide but now it's starting to get borderline pointless and irritating. :|

Check the JDD forum for my reply to your post.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Im not really sure why Vettel is being demonised for the move on Button, its not like it was dangerous or anything. Its right he was punished but lets not get carried away.

As a valued BBC viewer I missed the podium, er, interview. Was it better than the Silverstone cringe-fest?
Just For One Day...
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

CoopsII wrote:Im not really sure why Vettel is being demonised for the move on Button, its not like it was dangerous or anything. Its right he was punished but lets not get carried away.

People think that his move was considered as a dangerous driving, sir. :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FMecha wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Im not really sure why Vettel is being demonised for the move on Button, its not like it was dangerous or anything. Its right he was punished but lets not get carried away.

Then they are stupid people :roll: . Over-taking completely off the track and rejoining well in front of the other car is hardly likely to cause an accident.
Just For One Day...
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

CoopsII wrote:
FMecha wrote:

Then they are stupid people :roll: . Over-taking completely off the track and rejoining well in front of the other car is hardly likely to cause an accident.

It is illegal though, thus the penalty.