Drivers that Would Be Rejects if they got to F1...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Drivers that Would Be Rejects if they got to F1...

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tastyhouse wrote:Certainly my vote goes to Mohammad Bin Sulayem who gave the r28 a nice demo run at the ING Renault roadshow in dubai...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVZTgj5AUk

He made it about 100 feet before he pulled a remarkable Nelshino impression...and that was in a straight line...I'd like to see how he handles turning the wheel. :oops:

That makes Nelsinho look like Schumacher :shock:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

How about Tung Ho-Pin? Despite me being a fan, his GP2 and A1GP results probably put him in the Hideki Noda bracket in F1. Occasionally fast on his day, but mostly anonymous. China's closest F1 hope, but if he ever makes it to F1, he'll probably be similar to Alex Yoong, though I mean the real Alex, not the perceived worst driver ever Alex.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Relevant to recent happenings - Dario Franchitti?
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dario Franchitti... he'll be on the borderline but I think if we put him in an F1 car for a few seasons he might get out of rejectdom.
Ryan Briscoe however... after his display of racemanship by taking Dixon out he probably would be the next Nelson Piquet... slow, unworthy of a seat and very expensive.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

Surprised by the lack of a mention for Björn Wirdheim. Perhaps his famous trick was this little incident in Monaco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PkbiE1pHc0

:lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Chilled Phill wrote:Surprised by the lack of a mention for Björn Wirdheim. Perhaps his famous trick was this little incident in Monaco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PkbiE1pHc0

:lol:

Another young driver's career went down the drain that day...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Wow! I had completely forgotten about this! 2003, right?
Wasn't he the third driver for Jaguar in 2004?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Chilled Phill

Post by Chilled Phill »

Faustus wrote:Wow! I had completely forgotten about this! 2003, right?
Wasn't he the third driver for Jaguar in 2004?

Yes and I believe so.

Ironically, he won that year's F3000 title. ;)
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

What about Brendan Hartley ? Long-haired hippy who always looks like a miserable git in every picture I have seen. Very young and probably never had to worry about where the next drive is coming.

Could be the next Vettel but, more to the point, could be the next Mike Thackwell ?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Red Bull tried to nominate him as third driver for Red Bull and Toro Rosso, but he hasn't done enough mileage to qualify for a superlicence. :D
donald29

Post by donald29 »

I think any rookie American who signs for USF1 would leave the sport as a reject.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tastyhouse wrote:Certainly my vote goes to Mohammad Bin Sulayem who gave the r28 a nice demo run at the ING Renault roadshow in dubai...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVZTgj5AUk

He made it about 100 feet before he pulled a remarkable Nelshino impression...and that was in a straight line...I'd like to see how he handles turning the wheel. :oops:

That's hilarious, bet he blamed it on "cold tyres".

I'd like to nominate Dan Wheldon (who had a chance with Williams if I remember) and Fairuz Fauzy. All seems to have gone quiet about Wheldon since the Indy 500 and anyone beaten to a seat by Pizzonia deserves to stay out of F1. Fairuz Fauzy was rubbish in GP2, but had lots of money, so could have made it into F1, but fortunately he didn't/
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

donald29 wrote:I think any rookie American who signs for USF1 would leave the sport as a reject.

Because the American F1 veteran is sooooooooooooo much better... :lol:
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

How about Fairuz Fauzy? My mate race engineered him in British Formula 3 in 2003 and said the guy was out of his depth even back then.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

What about Stephen South? Got one race to replace Prost at McLaren in 1980 when Prost was injured after a crash, and DNQ'd.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Faustus wrote:Red Bull tried to nominate him as third driver for Red Bull and Toro Rosso, but he hasn't done enough mileage to qualify for a superlicence. :D

He's got one now.

I think any rookie American who signs for USF1 would leave the sport as a reject.

Because the American F1 veteran is sooooooooooooo much better...

I'm expecting this dubious honour to fall on Danica Patrick for some reason. They'll stick her in the car just to see how much sponsorship the "OMG. A woman in F1!!!" factor will generate.

Of course, we could all end up with egg on our faces if USGP end up being a front-runner.
GinShaiman

Post by GinShaiman »

Let us not forget the nearly greats such as...
Mario Haberfeld
Bruno Junqueira
Kelvin Burt
Oliver Gavin
I may be tad cruel hear, cuz who know what may have happened had these guys been given a chance, though given Jan Magnussen's example lets not get too hopeful.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Oriol Servia
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

thehemogoblin wrote:Oriol Servia

Beaten to the Prost drive by Gaston Mazzacane, embarrassing :oops:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

rffp wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:Another possible reject, IMHO, would be Valentino Rossi. Too much hype and little potential of actually doing a good job in four wheels.

I absolutely agree. Idiotic italian press often speculates about replacing Raikkonen with Rossi... I'm quite sure he would be outperformed by Chanoch Nissany in a '05 Minardi.
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I'd say Karun Chandhok, if he gets to F1 it'll be in a Force India (or Fifi as I like to call them), so...wouldn't be too promising. He's not great anyway in GP2.

Judging from GP2 again, Lucas di Grassi would probably be awful if got to F1. Not that he's that bad, he just hasn't made any kind of impact despite doing reasonably well. There has to be something wrong there.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

In an epic bump!
shinji wrote:I'd say Karun Chandhok, if he gets to F1 it'll be in a Force India (or Fifi as I like to call them), so...wouldn't be too promising. He's not great anyway in GP2.

Judging from GP2 again, Lucas di Grassi would probably be awful if got to F1. Not that he's that bad, he just hasn't made any kind of impact despite doing reasonably well. There has to be something wrong there.

Shinji's vision of the future was correct :D

I'll add two drivers from GP2 this season, Johnny Cecotto Jr. and Sergio Canamassas.
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ricardo Texeria and wait for it Andy Neate
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

andrew wrote:Ricardo Texeria and wait for it Andy Neate

Chris James and Liam Griffin
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

If you picked a driver from any series in the world at random, then most likely them.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Milka Duno nuff said

Susie Wolff too
andrew

Post by andrew »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Milka Duno nuff said

Susie Wolff too

Luis sa silva, Jason tahinicglu, Carmen Jordan and finally Tony Gilham as a team boss
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Clint Bowyer, good salesman and not shabby on what might resemble a Tilkedrome in Sonoma. However, his age upon discovery outside of Kansas at 24 would probably have left him as Takuma Sato at best and Giovanni Lavaggi at worst although with the sales ability of Dennis Vitolo. Simply, a F1 rookie in his late twenties might have his best days behind him racing in an era with little in attrition with a skillset that would be great in an attrition heavy era like F1 before the engine limit. However, his year of birth and time of discovery in 2003 would put him firmly in the low attrition era where his talent wouldn't be much more than a steady driver running around 7th to 12th place just outside the unrejectifying zone. If he was before then with the skillset, I think we might have a decent driver far outside of the reject zone and possible world champion however his date of birth and relative obscurity before his mid-twenties make that impossible.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

Ernesto "Neto" Jochamowitz, from Perú, had an open wheeler carrer from 1984 to 1986 in Europe, driving mostly F3 in Italy (driving for Enzo Coloni) and Britain, battling, and sometime winning against the soon to be Ferrari hero Jean Alesi and other soon to be F1 drivers like Johnny Herbert, Mauricio Gugelmin, Alex Caffi and Stefano Modena. Sadly, didn't have enough good results, money dried up, and returned home to become a successful rally driver
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Any BTCC driver
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

roblomas52 wrote:Any BTCC driver

Any NASCAR driver. Although we've had a few drivers doing OK when they tested F1 machinery.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:If you picked a driver from any series in the world at random, then most likely them.

Aye, this thread is just a case of "name drivers who are a bit naff that aren't in F1 currently".
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

good_Ralf wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:Any BTCC driver

Any NASCAR driver. Although we've had a few drivers doing OK when they tested F1 machinery.

Must have forgotten about the handful of former F1 drivers who had points in F1 to the point of not being rejects. However, Christian Fittapaldi was downright awful in NASCAR in his short stint, Villeneuve was slightly better than that, and Juan Pablo Montoya was mediocre at best. Several others like Tony Stewart and most NASCAR champions would have been mediocre although not rejects. It's the drivers below the likes of the Sprint/Winston Cup champions where it gets into reject territory although some would be more era dependent as Mark Martin and Clint Bowyer would be rejects in the current type of F1, but in an attrition laden era might have snaked into enough points. Others like Kyle Busch would be a serious liability outside of the reliable cars of today as he's abusive on equipment. Then you have certain rejects like Paul Menard, David Ragan, and other lesser drivers. Some of these drivers like Max Papis and Scott Speed are actual F1 Rejects and nearly if not equally as bad in NASCAR.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!