Button signs for McLaren?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Collieafc

Re: Button signs for McLaren

Post by Collieafc »

fjackdaw wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:It'll be fun to watch, and I don't think Button will suffer against Hamilton quite as much as some are expecting. I'm not expecting a Senna-Prost 1988 season dominance from the pair, but I think they will be well-matched and I think Button will surprise people.

Definitely. I'm not quite sure where this "Button is rubbish" nonsense is coming from. Even in the best car, you don't win the championship if you're mediocre. People forget that Button still managed to beat Vettel and Webber in a close fight towards the end of Brawn's dominance. Button easily won in the best car in the field, which is quite possibly what the McLaren will be, so what's the problem? I reckon it'll be close to 50/50 performance-wise between the two.

I think its because he had 8 years in F1 in generally semi-decent teams but only chalked one victory (which in itself was a little lucked thanks to Alonso's pit crew...) Plus I cite JV...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

So he finally did it...

I think this could be the last we hear about Jenson Button...let's see how the team manages the pressure of having two British world champions in the same team, and both quite ambitious...
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Phoenix wrote:So he finally did it...

I think this could be the last we hear about Jenson Button...let's see how the team manages the pressure of having two British world champions in the same team, and both quite ambitious...

Not really... Hamilton will buy Button some expensive toy in order to keep him entertained and distracted (read, a yacht) and he'll win the championship flawlessly. :mrgreen:
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

...Unless Ferrari or Mercedes manage a decent car...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Phoenix wrote:...Unless Ferrari or Mercedes manage a decent car...

Anybody else think Williams are overdue a decent vehicle?
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

I kind of hope Button joins McLaren actually. I'll be relieved if it happens as it'll finally center all the English media wanking on one team. It'll be even funnier if McLaren produces a dog of a car, but I'm not too optimistic about that!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

de crasharis wrote:
Phoenix wrote:...Unless Ferrari or Mercedes manage a decent car...

Anybody else think Williams are overdue a decent vehicle?

Me! Me! I want them to produce something that blitzes the field as hard as the FW-14B used to. 8-)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Yep. '92 the Mansell/FW14B was awesome at Silverstone & I don't even like the guy. What about Keke in quali..85? 160mph lap. (Proper circuit no daft twiddley bits)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

de crasharis wrote:Yep. '92 the Mansell/FW14B was awesome at Silverstone & I don't even like the guy. What about Keke in quali..85? 160mph lap. (Proper circuit no daft twiddley bits)

The circuit had to be emasculated after that lap.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
de crasharis wrote:Yep. '92 the Mansell/FW14B was awesome at Silverstone & I don't even like the guy. What about Keke in quali..85? 160mph lap. (Proper circuit no daft twiddley bits)

So did Keke!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

de crasharis wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

So did Keke!

Hang on... :shock:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Phoenix wrote:So he finally did it...

I think one of them is ambitious, and he will be driving the #2 car... Button has fulfilled his lifetime ambition having slowly got further and further away from it over the last 5 years. He'll still be quick and might win the odd race, but he won't challenge Hamilton. For £18m over 3 years that may not overly concern him.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Maybe that's why Nico isn't Finnish!! :?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Brawn to JB: "Your future is with us."

It seems reports Button has signed were a little premature.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

Captain Hammer wrote:Brawn to JB: "Your future is with us."

Well who is gonna be 2nd McLaren driver??? Kovalainen???

I personally think Heidfeld or Button will be there whoever isnt will be at Mercedes.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Again, it seems that Ross Brawn is trying to influence Button's career. Let him do whatever he wants and get a driver like Rosberg, Heidfeld, or Kobayashi to drive for Mercedes.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

All your future is belong to us... I hope this is right.

Now, if Raikkonen is indeed out of the picture and Button is staying at Brawn, there really is a very hot McLaren seat waiting. Did Glock jump the gun with his Simtek move? Could Kubica be about to save himself from sinking Renault? Would - glup - Heidfeld or Trulli suddenly appear alongside Lewis?!
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Now, if Raikkonen is indeed out of the picture and Button is staying at Brawn, there really is a very hot McLaren seat waiting. Did Glock jump the gun with his Simtek move? Could Kubica be about to save himself from sinking Renault? Would - glup - Heidfeld or Trulli suddenly appear alongside Lewis?!

I think a lot actually hinges on whether Renault stay in the sport because a lot of teams woudln't say no to Kubica. And who knows, Qadbak and even another new entrant could come in. So, yes, I do think Glock jumped the gun when the options were pretty open for him (not that Manor GP is a disastrous move imo).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Two words: Kamui Kobayashi.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Captain Hammer wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

Two words: Kamui Kobayashi.

:lol: I'd laugh my head off!

Wait, you're not serious, are you?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Rosstitute

Post by Rosstitute »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote: Two words: Kamui Kobayashi.

:lol: I'd laugh my head off!

Wait, you're not serious, are you?

Well, all they'd have to pay him is a living wage, and they could mold themselves a potential new star on the cheap, and one who'll be greatful enough for the drive not to resent lewisteria... As much as I want quick Nick's sunglasses to grace the paddock for years to come, I think it's an intruiging idea.
P.S. Excuse me for choosing "The Paul Stoddart Memorial Forum" to leave a offer for men about achat propecia
Ross Prawn

Re: Button signs for McLaren?

Post by Ross Prawn »

Nelson Piquet jnr.

And then Ron takes over the team leader job again, and the team renames itself 'Team Evil'. It signs up exclusive rights with Bernie and the FIA to host all F1 scandals for the next five years.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Hmm. A Portuguese newspaper today says Button is going to McLaren and even states his big salary. But I don't see anything on the F1 website or on GPUpdate :?
homerbhoy

Post by homerbhoy »

looks like you ain't that knowledgable !!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 363892.stm
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Paul Hayes wrote:I think there were some all-British podiums in the 1960s, but I doubt the French drivers ever managed one. Actually, maybe Pironi at Ferrari and the Renaults did at some point? The closest I can think of at the moment is the all-Francophone podium at the 1997 Spanish Grand Prix, when French-Canadian Jacques Villeneuve won from Panis and Alesi.

I was trying to think whether the Schumacher brothers and Frentzen ever managed a podium lock-out for Germany, but I can't think of an occasion when they did?

There was a French driver 1-2-3-4 at the 1982 French Grand Prix (Arnoux, Prost, Pironi and Tambay).
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

homerbhoy wrote:

Well, Captain was right - reports that he had signed appear to have been premature. Reports that he was going to sign appear to have been 100% on the money!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Kuwashima wrote:
homerbhoy wrote:

Well, Captain was right - reports that he had signed appear to have been premature. Reports that he was going to sign appear to have been 100% on the money!

It's the curse of being voted most knowledgeable person - it's a lot to live up to. People like a challenge.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

It's official, according to Jon Noble's twitter feed:

NobleF1: Button to McLaren now official

I was wrong about this. And I believe the climate inside the team is going to be rubbished. There will be a war between Britain's two champs... McLaren 2010 be just as interesting as Ferrari. :roll:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

A silly move IMO, he simply can't beat Hamilton at his own ground...
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Looks like Ross Brawn has cocked up a bit here. Probably he wanted Jenson to stay but has negotiated a bit too hard.

Anyway, all of this is interesting for next year. If Ferrari get their act together we are going to have at least five drivers with the ability to challenge for the championship in competitive machines. Hamilton, Button, Alonso, Massa and Vettel. Bring on 2011.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

lostpin wrote:A silly move IMO, he simply can't beat Hamilton at his own ground...

Too many people are saying this, and have no proof to back it up.

McLaren have signed Jenson to a multi year contract, they haven't signed him to make up the numbers.

I have a feeling that he will surprise many people, Hamilton included.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Well, there we go then. Let battle commence!

2010 should be a very interesting year. I think it will be very close between Button and Hamilton.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I think Button will be thrashed by Hamilton, at least in the first races...
howardmb

Post by howardmb »

I'll vote Button ahead of Lewis. He has more experience finding ways to maximize the car he's forced to drive.
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

I think Hamilton is the superior racer, compared to Button. Button just went from champion to champion's "wingman".
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Paul Hayes wrote:Well, there we go then. Let battle commence!

Here's one from the left field: the battle has already started in Monza. Anyone here agrees Hamilton wouldn't have pushed that hard, crashed and burned if the guy ahead of him wasn't the next British Champion?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Here's one from the left field: the battle has already started in Monza. Anyone here agrees Hamilton wouldn't have pushed that hard, crashed and burned if the guy ahead of him wasn't the next British Champion?

Perhaps he would. We already know Hamilton for being too ferocious at times (like in China and Brazil 2007, and Japan 2008, and Germany 2009).
Waris

Post by Waris »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

Sharp observation.
I would rather see Button stay at Brawn (and Brawn not sold to Mercedes, but that's a whole different point altogether, I hope they'll still call it Brawn-Mercedes and the BGP002), but the good point is: this is a real test for Button. Now we will finally be sure once and for all whether Button is a driver worthy of being World Champion in his own right, or whether he was just unbelievably lucky with the machinery this year.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
hclw

Post by hclw »

I think now is as good a time to take on Hamilton as any. Next season the nature of the racing will change an awful lot with the ban on refueling. Races will no longer be a short series of sprints but will be a long drawn out affair with an emphasis on preserving tyres and finding speed with a slow, badly handling car full of fuel. Qualifying may be less important than before, with drivers opting to take a 'Prostian' approach to race set ups i.e. set the car up for the race and sacrifice qualifying.

I've noidea if Hamilton will be well suited to this type of racing or how quickly he an adapt, but it does mix up the grid a bit. By the old rules, Alonso & hamilton are probably the fastest drivers but will they be the fastest with the new rules? Maybe Heidfeld or Button will become the new poster boy of the non-fueling F1?

I should stress that I have absolutely no clue which drivers will thrive next season or whether it really will change anything at all. But there may be a change in the F1 order and I'm sure plenty of the 'midfield runners' will fancy their chances
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

hclw wrote:I think now is as good a time to take on Hamilton as any. Next season the nature of the racing will change an awful lot with the ban on refueling. Races will no longer be a short series of sprints but will be a long drawn out affair with an emphasis on preserving tyres and finding speed with a slow, badly handling car full of fuel. Qualifying may be less important than before, with drivers opting to take a 'Prostian' approach to race set ups i.e. set the car up for the race and sacrifice qualifying.

I've noidea if Hamilton will be well suited to this type of racing or how quickly he an adapt, but it does mix up the grid a bit. By the old rules, Alonso & hamilton are probably the fastest drivers but will they be the fastest with the new rules? Maybe Heidfeld or Button will become the new poster boy of the non-fueling F1?

Some really good points there. I suppose under the new rules Hamilton, Alonso and Kubica will struggle more than Button, Heidfeld and - catch this - Rosberg. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!