1.Andrex soft
2.Ultra Soft
3.Super soft
4.Soft
5.Medium
6.Hard
7.Super hard
8.Hard as Nails

If this happens, I think that 3 types of tyre should be taken to each weekend.For all 3 practice sessions, teams are given 3 sets of each compound available, which can only be used in practice. For qualifying, teams are given another 3 sets of each compound, which can only be used in qualifying. For the race, the teams are given 2 sets of each compound, but only have to use 2 types olf tyre in the race (they can use all three if they wish). Everyone on the grid is free to choose their tyre compound on the grid
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
FMecha

Re: Hembery - want 8 tyre compounds

Post by FMecha »

Somehow, I got reminded of this thread... :lol:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
razta

Post by razta »

FMecha wrote:Somehow, I got reminded of this thread... :lol:

That was the intention.. Brilliant thread though :lol:
Back on topic, I think they should have Quali tyres, and pre-selected race tyres, with a choice of 3 compounds, not the usual 2.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

8 compounds? I say 5 like in Gran Turismo: Super Soft, Soft, Medium, Hard and Super Hard but put bigger gaps between them keep the current Super-softs, but make the softs harder than the current mediums, mediums harder than the hards, etc. Super-Hards should be able to easily go the whole distance. And allow teams to mix and match softs on the front, hards on the back, etc.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

I think it would be better if everyone was able to mix-and-match compounds. From watching F1 races in the 1980s, cars would have hard tires on some wheels and medium or softs on others. When was this practice stopped?
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

That is ridiculous.

All what is needed is.

In a 60 lap race the tires should last

Super Soft (10 laps)
Soft (20 laps)
Medium (30 laps)
Hard (45 laps)
Interm.
Rain
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Benetton wrote:That is ridiculous.

All what is needed is.

Super Soft (10 laps)
Soft (20 laps)
Medium (30 laps)
Hard (45 laps)
Interm.
Rain

Make the soft last around 16, the medium around 22, and the hard around 30 laps, and we'll be okay.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

All what is needed is.

Super Soft (10 laps)
Soft (20 laps)
Medium (30 laps)
Hard (45 laps)
Interm.
Rain

Around what sort of circuit though? To pick three examples from the beginning of the season, the Australian, Malaysian and Bahraini GP's are almost identical in terms of length (58, 56 and 57 laps respectively), but the same compound tyre would behave quite differently around each of those circuits given that each of those circuits has its own unique quirks.

Pirelli themselves have said that they think that the recent lack of excitement is because the recent circuits, being recently built, therefore have relatively smooth and unabrasive tarmac that will not naturally lead to high tyre wear - whether or not you think that is an excuse on their part or not is another matter, though it will certainly be part of the issue. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103970

Similarly, now that the teams have got a better handle on how to set their cars up, thermal degradation, which was a significant issue in the earlier races, is now less of a problem, especially since the track temperatures in recent races have been milder than they were earlier in the season.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

All what is needed is.

Super Soft (10 laps)
Soft (20 laps)
Medium (30 laps)
Hard (45 laps)
Interm.
Rain

The thing is Pirelli can't just magically do that because the compounds don't last the same amount of laps at every track, as Mario explained. That's the whole point of asking for more compounds, so that they would have more options for tire duration at different tracks.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

mario wrote:Pirelli themselves have said that they think that the recent lack of excitement is because the recent circuits, being recently built, therefore have relatively smooth and unabrasive tarmac that will not naturally lead to high tyre wear - whether or not you think that is an excuse on their part or not is another matter, though it will certainly be part of the issue. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103970

Considering the comments made during the V8 coverage yesterday about just how smooth the surface is at Yas Marina, Hemberey's probably a lot closer to the truth than we realise.

Which goes a long way to explaining why the majority of Tilke's tracks are rubbish. He wouldn't know what a bump was if he was hit in the face with it.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:
mario wrote:Pirelli themselves have said that they think that the recent lack of excitement is because the recent circuits, being recently built, therefore have relatively smooth and unabrasive tarmac that will not naturally lead to high tyre wear - whether or not you think that is an excuse on their part or not is another matter, though it will certainly be part of the issue. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103970

Considering the comments made during the V8 coverage yesterday about just how smooth the surface is at Yas Marina, Hemberey's probably a lot closer to the truth than we realise.

Which goes a long way to explaining why the majority of Tilke's tracks are rubbish. He wouldn't know what a bump was if he was hit in the face with it.

Quick, let's get whoever made the abrasive tarmac runoff at Paul Ricard to do the same at all of Tilke's tracks! :lol:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:

It is more subtle than just bumps and elevation change - this is more a question of the actual microfabric of the tarmac itself, as well as the relative age and weathering of the surface, and the effect that has on the interaction between the tyre surface and the tarmac itself.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Alright, so we already know about the SuperSoft, Soft, Medium, and Hard tires, so here's what I propose;

Pillow-Soft
Uber-Soft
Super-Soft
Soft
Kinda-Soft
Medium
Hard
NASCAR Goodyears

In all seriousness, have the colors for each compound go through the spectrum, with red tires being the softest, blue the hardest, and purple and white reserved for the rain tires.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Cynon wrote:In all seriousness, have the colors for each compound go through the spectrum, with red tires being the softest, blue the hardest, and purple and white reserved for the rain tires.

What?! We can't have the tyre colours make sense or have any sort of order! :P

I guess I'll try naming the eight compounds:
Qualifying
Super-soft
Soft
Semi-soft
Medium
Lukehard
Hard
'60s-style
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
razta

Post by razta »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:What?! We can't have the tyre colours make sense or have any sort of order! :P

I guess I'll try naming the eight compounds:
Qualifying
Super-soft
Soft
Semi-soft
Medium
Lukehard
Hard
Bridgestones

Fixed
SuperAguri
Site Donor