2012 Brazilian Grand Prix discussion thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix discussion thread

Post by Londoner »

Anyone who dares to compare Vettel to Fangio, Schumi and Prost, please shut up. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Draining!

Race of the year.

Who'd have thought it would be Petrov that would nick the place Caterham needed?
S951

Post by S951 »

VITALY IN 11TH!!! YES!!
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Petrov p11.

NOoooooooo Marrussia :(

Vettel is just as good as Fangio, Schumi and Prost. :D
Message me on Discord.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

If there was ever a way to sugar-coat a Vettel title, that was the race to do it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Congratulations Sebastian. Once again, you did everything to throw away the title until the last moment. And that's the moment that counted most. Great race.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Kimi Raikkonen sets a new record of longest race distance completed during a whole season!?

Edit) Thank you for clearing it up for me that it was a debris flag and not a yellow!
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Alonso's got to be gutted. That's 2007, 2010 and now 2012... So close yet so far. I know I'm gutted... Gargh bloody bathplug...

East Londoner wrote:Anyone who dares to compare Vettel to Fangio, Schumi and Prost, please shut up. :evil:

This multiplied by 99999. Just shut up.
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

Wow. Just... wow.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

BTW, I'd like to suggest Bruno Senna for ROTY, because he didn't hit Vettel properly. :evil:
MIA SAN MIA!
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Benetton wrote:Kimi Raikkonen sets a new record of longest race distance completed during a whole season!?

Edit) Thank you for clearing it up for me that it was a debris flag and not a yellow!

And the longest in this race with that random detour!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

JJMonty wrote:Well what a race! It had everything including the most anti-climatic finish to a race ever! Wowwie!!!

Indeed. I am sad for Alonso. He fought so much this season.

Marussia deserved that 10th spot. Caterham was really lucky. It had better drive train and still only luck kept them 10th for the third year running.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

Sums up the season - exciting at first, followed by a very dire ending.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Welcome to the Off-Season......
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

What a race, what a season! Congrats to Vettel, Congrats to Caterham for 10th, Schumacher on points and congrats to HRT for a double finish.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
macherone

Post by macherone »

East Londoner wrote:Anyone who dares to compare Vettel to Fangio, Schumi and Prost, please shut up. :evil:

The Latin American F1 coverage has been comparing him to Ayrton.

Anyway I feel he is just like Prost: he does the exact minimum needed to win a championship and annoy us meanwhile.
The child has grown, the dream is gone
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

So Vettel joins Fangio and Schumi as the only people to win 3 in a row. I guess gotta give him some credit. Gargh...

Well, off-season time! :P
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

That bathplug finger.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Pamphlet

Post by Pamphlet »

I told you Petrov is better than Kovalainen.

But most importantly, cue the whinefests.
Sticking his neck on the line, one post at a time. Oh, and Singapore is still better than Monaco.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

What's Massa so bloody upset about?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Button was by far the best driver out there today. Kept his head when everyone else was going bonkers. Hopefully a proper title challenge from him next year.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

So Vettel passed Kobayashi under yellow flags in the first half of the race. If there was no safety car finish it would be irrelevant.

But they all closed up for the finish and a 25 sec penalty would give Alonso the title.

It would be broken beyond belief if this happened, but...
Message me on Discord.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

I will reserve any further judgments until I have digested the race fully but I have to say that if Alonso was a tad more agressive on strategy, he might have been in position to win.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
14 Hundred Hours

Button stands on podium. Mother walks in. "Who's he?"
"What?! That's Jenson Button!"
"Oh. How'd he get up there when he crashed?"
"...he didn't... that was Hamilton."
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Also, if they stripped the championship away from Vettel thanks to the yellow flag thing, the sport would lose all credibility. As Yogi Berra said, "it ain't over till it's over."
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

East Londoner wrote:Button was by far the best driver out there today. Kept his head when everyone else was going bonkers. Hopefully a proper title challenge from him next year.

It is a nice bookend - a superb Button drive to open and close the season. Whether or not he has a shot, all eyes will be on McLaren to see how Perez measures up.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

"Fernando, you didn't win the title. Would it have been better if my son had crashed for you again?"
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Well well well. First of all, I thought the race was absolutely stunning in all areas except it's outcome, which goes for the season as well. Loved every minute (except for Singapore, Japn, Korean, and Indian Grand Prixs), especially Maldonado's win, Crashjean, and Fernando heroics. Congratulations to Maldonado, Alonso, Button, Hulkenberg, Massa and Rosberg, for very different reasons.

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Alonso's got to be gutted. That's 2007, 2010 and now 2012... So close yet so far. I know I'm gutted... Gargh bloody bathplug...

This multiplied by 99999. Just shut up.

Thirded. Vettel has to be the most lucky, the most arrogant, the most undeserving triple, no even double world champion that the sport has ever seen! He DID NOT deserve this title. Forget FIArarri, it's blantantly FIA Red Bull. How can one man be so lucky? Anyone in this sport who is considered great has either been a fantastic yet unlucky driver or a fantastic driver. Michael Schumacher - had to fight for 1994, 1995, lost out in 1997, fought for 2000, 2003, and drove superbly in 2006. Senna - fought for all his titles, superb driver. Mansell - Twice denied titles in his hand tha he worked relentlessly for. Prost - Speed undenied. Fangio - Undeniable greatness. Moss - master of things with wheels. Scheckter- Won in a friggin' Wolf. Hakkinen - fought extremely hard for '98 and '99. Montoya - Simply astounded everyone with amazing overtakes. Lauda- almost died, carried on, won in his comeback. Alonso - 2005 and 2006 great driving, fought so hard in 2007, 2010 and 2012. Button - matured with age. But what about Vettel? What qualities does he possess? None. He's not even nice OFF the track.

I don't know if I could take a 2014 Vettel walk over, because he DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE A TRIPLE OR QUADRUPLE WORLD CHAMPION, ESPECIALLY IN A ROW.

End of rant, except for one last thing. Somehow, I'll always love the sport.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

woke up late here. turned on the TV to find Vettel high-fiving and alonso being consoled.
i am dissapoint
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I swear Piquet is just blathering on the podium. He's not even asking questions, he's just saying words...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Emerson Fittipaldi is pure cringe.

No doubt the BBC will start kissing RedBull's arse in the post-race show, at which point I'll turn the channel over.

Edit: Wow, Massa is emotional. Nice to see it.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

So happy for Felipe! Hope he takes this momentum into 2013! Who would've thought after start of the year that he'd be required to move over, slow down or take a penalty 4 times in 8 races to finish the season.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Any Portuguese speakers able to help us out with what Massa's saying...?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Pamphlet, you hate everyone here. The door is right over there
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

Translation:
Massa was thanking the supporters for what has been a long year for him. He was appologising for how bad he was at the start of the season, but was glad he could make up for it in the second half of the year and was very glad to be on the podium in Interlagos :)
Pedestrian

Post by Pedestrian »

That was a surprisingly entertaining race, considering the premise.
And in a condensation of the rest of the season, it was unpredictable even if it shouldn't have been.

The McLaren team proved the point they needed to prove (that they were the fastest all along) and inadvertently proved another point too: that they are too unlucky (or too incompetent, depending on how harshly you want to judge them) to take advantage of their strengths.
Button in particular exhibited the simptoms of the same behaviour that characterised him in the last 3 years: that of a man who is driving only at 50% of his potential. He muscled his way past Hamilton at the start, as if he wanted to assert himself, and then fell asleep at the wheel halfway through the race. But in the end he was lucky to win so this masked his failing to some extent.

As for the tile race, while I dislike both contenders equally, in the end I think it's better that Vettel won. At least in his case everyone knows that he only wins because of the car. If Alonso had won, he would have won due to team orders and sheer dumb luck, but the fanboys would have started again with "most complete driver" and other nonsense like that.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Christian Horner makes me bathplug cringe with hate. "He deserved it so much" says Horner. Did he bathplug mate, Alonso did. Your team is nothing more than a glorified energy drink, sucking the life and fun out of the paddock with your typical "Seb did a fantastic job", "the team work so hard", "we deserve it" nonsense. Every team and every driver deserves the title, your nothing special. Jog on mate...

Rant over.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

nome66

Post by nome66 »

the driver interview was "a f*ckup"
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
macherone

Post by macherone »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Thirded. Vettel has to be the most lucky, the most arrogant, the most undeserving triple, no even double world champion that the sport has ever seen! He DID NOT deserve this title. Forget FIArarri, it's blantantly FIA Red Bull. How can one man be so lucky? Anyone in this sport who is considered great has either been a fantastic yet unlucky driver or a fantastic driver. Michael Schumacher - had to fight for 1994, 1995, lost out in 1997, fought for 2000, 2003, and drove superbly in 2006. Senna - fought for all his titles, superb driver. Mansell - Twice denied titles in his hand tha he worked relentlessly for. Prost - Speed undenied. Fangio - Undeniable greatness. Moss - master of things with wheels. Scheckter- Won in a friggin' Wolf. Hakkinen - fought extremely hard for '98 and '99. Montoya - Simply astounded everyone with amazing overtakes. Lauda- almost died, carried on, won in his comeback. Alonso - 2005 and 2006 great driving, fought so hard in 2007, 2010 and 2012. Button - matured with age. But what about Vettel? What qualities does he possess? None. He's not even nice OFF the track.

I don't know if I could take a 2014 Vettel walk over, because he DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE A TRIPLE OR QUADRUPLE WORLD CHAMPION, ESPECIALLY IN A ROW.

End of rant, except for one last thing. Somehow, I'll always love the sport.

It's amazing you pick Montoya between the F1 greats.

Anyway, I think Vettel does deserve credit for his 2010 title. And damn, you say "Scheckter won in a Wolf", Seb did win in a Toro Rosso. The luck is there, but only if you're able to fight for it.

But still, it could be better for everyone if Vettel starts to lose sometimes. This and Canada 11 make me think he is sometimes unable to cope with the pressure...
The child has grown, the dream is gone
14 Hundred Hours

JJMonty wrote:Translation:
Massa was thanking the supporters for what has been a long year for him. He was appologising for how bad he was at the start of the season, but was glad he could make up for it in the second half of the year and was very glad to be on the podium in Interlagos :)

Bless him. That's kinda sweet :)