The 2012 BBC F1 World Championship.

Archive for the three above subforums
IdeFan

The 2012 BBC F1 World Championship.

Post by IdeFan »

I have been musing on the topic of BBC vs Sky F1 coverage lately, and thought to myself "what if someone only watched the races that were live on the BBC, and ignored everything else that happened that year, how would their championship look?". Sounds like the making of an F1 Rejects patented alternative championship!

The 2012 BBC F1 World Championship

Alonso and Vettel go into the final round just two points apart, a crazy race hands Alonso the title. Vettel's penalty at Abu Dhabi and spin at Interlagos cost him dearly.

A disastrous season for both Hamilton and McLaren, just a single podium for Lewis as unreliability scuppers any hope of a championship bid, Jenson Button scores the team's only victories, but lacks consistency.

Massa lets Ferrari down in the constructors, his form improves as Webber's fades late season, but Webber's two early victories are more than enough to give the constructor's title to RBR.

Sauber also have a terrible year, just three points all season for Perez, no way would he be getting a McLaren drive like that. Kobayashi doesn't fare much better.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
UncreativeUsername37

Re: The 2012 BBC F1 World Championship.

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

This is awesome. You should make tables for the races that weren't live on the BBC too.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

On the flip side, there is the championship counting only the races shown exclusively live on Sky.

The 2012 Sky Sports Exclusive F1 World Championship

Consistent scoring from Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso leaves an exciting three way showdown in Austin, it is very much winner takes all between Lewis and Seb, that overtake turns out to be crucial!

In the constructors none of the "number twos" manage to score heavily, it is Jenson Button's season opening victory that gives him the edge over Webber and the Constructors title to McLaren.

Perez and Sauber have very strong seasons, Sergio is just four points behind Webber and the team takes an easy fifth place.

Mercedes Benz have a disasterous season, with no podiums and neither driver making the top ten, they just scrape home ahead of Force India.

Another terrible year for Williams, with Bruno Senna taking the majority of the team's meagre points haul.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

It seems Lewis Hamilton and McLaren can only perform well when nobody in Britain is watching.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

IdeFan wrote:It seems Lewis Hamilton and McLaren can only perform well when nobody in Britain is watching.

And Maldonado only seems to do well when people are watching...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

East Londoner wrote:
IdeFan wrote:It seems Lewis Hamilton and McLaren can only perform well when nobody in Britain is watching.

And Maldonado only seems to do well when people are watching...

You say that but aside from his victory Pastor didn't score particularly well in the BBC championship.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

It's rather amusing that The Finger doesn't win either of them. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

James1978 wrote:It's rather amusing that The Finger doesn't win either of them. :)

He did have the best average between the two though.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
James1978 wrote:It's rather amusing that The Finger doesn't win either of them. :)

It's Alonso 1st and 3rd, Vettel 2nd and 2nd, so it's even.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

It's Alonso 1st and 3rd, Vettel 2nd and 2nd, so it's even.

Yeah but Vettel had more average points.
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Yeah but Vettel had more average points.

Well, duh, of course he's going to have more average points, if you just combine the two championships it's the normal season.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Well, duh, of course he's going to have more average points, if you just combine the two championships it's the normal season.

Hmm what a novel idea, combining the race results in some sort of "points scheme" across every race in a "season" to reveal an overall champion, It will never catch on!
Message me on Discord.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Shadaza wrote:

Hmm what a novel idea, combining the race results in some sort of "points scheme" across every race in a "season" to reveal an overall champion, It will never catch on!

heres a novel idea how about a championship with no changes..... nah that wont catch on lol
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Shadaza wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Well, duh, of course he's going to have more average points, if you just combine the two championships it's the normal season.

heres a novel idea how about a championship with no changes..... nah that wont catch on lol

Okay, I said something stupid, I get it already.
Everything's great.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

As much as I hate to say it, this kind of shows that Vettel was the most consistent driver during the season.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Ferrim wrote:As much as I hate to say it, this kind of shows that Vettel had the best car during the season.
Fixed :mrgreen:
Trump 2016