The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

Post by Londoner »

Paul Di Resta was interviewed by Autosport International a few days ago. He had this to say about a certain German driver who drove for Force India when it was a previous incarnation.

Paul Di Resta wrote:I had so much respect and he was my hero and all the rest, and eventually I got to race against him. Now, though, I feel a bit different about Michael. I’m quite glad he’s retired and he’s out of the way, because he’s a bit of a pain in the ass on the track.

:roll: :lol:

So yeah, use this thread to laugh at the dull Scotsman, as life imitates the F1 Slate...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Paul Di Resta Quotes Thread

Post by FullMetalJack »

Paul Di Resta wrote:I had so much respect and he was my hero and all the rest, and eventually I got to race against him. Now, though, I feel a bit different about Michael. I’m quite glad he’s retired and he’s out of the way, because the inevitability of becoming only the second most successful driver of all time and my rewriting of the record books will happen even sooner. As long as Hulk doesn't put my car into the wall in FP1 again, costing me a certain podium finish.

Fixed.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Paul Di Resta wrote:I had so much respect and he was my hero and all the rest, and eventually I got to race against him. Now, though, I feel a bit different about Michael. I’m quite glad he’s retired and he’s out of the way, because he’s a bit of a pain in the ass on the track.
I agree, Schu was shite all year.
Trump 2016
mario

Post by mario »

darkapprentice77 wrote:

Vergne and Bruno Senna would probably agree pretty heartily with Di Resta's comments there...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

mario wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:

Vergne and Bruno Senna would probably agree pretty heartily with Di Resta's comments there...

Even Romain Grosjean would say that Schumacher was bad to the point of wanting to run Schumacher into the wall at Monaco.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I have to say I struggle to name a driver who consistently states, as often as Di Resta does, that he's aiming to leave this crappy team he's curently signed for to bigger and better things. It must be a real motivator to hear the guy you're working hard to give opportunities to on the F1 platform constantly point out how inferior that work is compared to what he can expect when one of the big teams comes a knockin'.

Dont get me wrong, aim for the skies and blow your own trumpet etc but how's about doing something with the car you've got?

All this expectation that Di Resta is destined for great things appears to be in his own head. He reminds me of Ralph Firman.
Just For One Day...
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

The only things worse than anything coming out of that twat's mouth are his driving and people actually taking him seriously.

Your move, F1 Slate.
Svenko Wankerov

OH YES THIS IS THE MOTHERLODE

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2892 ... h-mclaren/

"I'm not going to give away too much, but yes, there were discussions," di Resta explained at the Autosport Show in Birmingham. "I've got a great relationship with McLaren. (Team Principal) Martin Whitmarsh was actually the key person who put my name forward for Force India, and also I've been part of Mercedes-Benz for a lot of years."
"Our paths may cross. It may be in a car that's beating them and I'll have the last laugh. But if I've got to work with them, they're professional people and they win races, and that's what I'm in the sport to do."
"Unfortunately in this sport now there's a little bit more to it," di Resta added. "There's a commercial side and money's tight. Pérez has some good backing.

"He's up against a big task. He's got to perform. Jenson's obviously not going to give him an easy time. Jenson is probably at his peak."
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:The only things worse than anything coming out of that twat's mouth are his driving and people actually taking him seriously.

I think his driving's adequate but not exceptional so far. When reading either his or others view of his future world champion status I get a strange feeling as if Ive turned over two pages at once, like Ive missed something in his two (count 'em) F1 seasons.
Just For One Day...
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

CoopsII wrote:
Svenko Wankerov wrote:The only things worse than anything coming out of that twat's mouth are his driving and people actually taking him seriously.

I think his driving's adequate but not exceptional so far. When reading either his or others view of his future world champion status I get a strange feeling as if Ive turned over two pages at once, like Ive missed something in his two (count 'em) F1 seasons.

If you want to be generous you could compare him to Jenson Button. Lots of hype but not much in the way of results after two seasons. There is still time for him to come good, but like Button I think he's going to need a lot of luck.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

IdeFan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

If you want to be generous you could compare him to Jenson Button. Lots of hype but not much in the way of results after two seasons. There is still time for him to come good, but like Button I think he's going to need a lot of luck.

But it feels like di Resta won't be around for nearly as long as Button. After all, none of the teams have really been impressed with him. Certainly not a bad driver, mind you, but nothing amazing.
He better hope that luck will come his way sooner rather than later. Otherwise, he may become a permanent fixture in Force India, or possibly replaced.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Hound55 wrote:
IdeFan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I think his driving's adequate but not exceptional so far. When reading either his or others view of his future world champion status I get a strange feeling as if Ive turned over two pages at once, like Ive missed something in his two (count 'em) F1 seasons.

But it feels like di Resta won't be around for nearly as long as Button. After all, none of the teams have really been impressed with him. Certainly not a bad driver, mind you, but nothing amazing.
He better hope that luck will come his way sooner rather than later. Otherwise, he may become a permanent fixture in Force India, or possibly replaced.

Button too was lucky to keep his drive after a dismal year in 2001, he picked up his performance in 2002 and 2003 before a breakthrough year in 2004.
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

Whilst I would not totally discount the possible aspect of money playing a part in Perez being signed for McLaren (Whitmarsh has given several interviews with Autosport and FOM's media team that have referred to Perez's marketing potential and media profile), I would agree that Di Resta's current form has not yet shown that consistency of performance that might earmark him for a major team.

OK, there have been a few drivers who have gone from the midfield into a major team with relatively little experience in recent years - Kimi did, although it did cause some friction with Mercedes after Heidfeld was cut out of the loop, whilst Vettel had effectively already been earmarked for the Red Bull outfit by Marko and Red Bull's Young Driver Program before he entered F1 and Alonso spent a lot of time racking up mileage as Renault's test driver in 2002 (a figure of over 1,600 laps at various circuits has been cited). The fact that Briatore managed both Renault and Alonso, no doubt, helped - similarly, a few have questioned whether that same sort of link was why Grosjean got his old seat back at what is now Lotus.

All in all, Di Resta comes across as being a man in a bit of a hurry, expecting to make it into a top team and then being perplexed when those links do not materialise. He is probably a solid enough driver - he can at least point to his Formula 3 title as a sign that he has some talent - but the top teams want experienced veterans with a long proven track record more often than the vagaries of potential and youthful vigour.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

CoopsII wrote:

This.

I suppose he's an OK enough driver, but he has a sense of entitlement that I really dislike
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

There needs to be a Paul di Resta Scale for egomaniacal quotes from people who don't deserve to have an ego. It would go from 1 to 10, with 10 di Restas being the average Paul di Resta quote, and 1 being... well, Narain Karthikeyan or HWNSNBM.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Part of the reason I want Perez to do well at McLaren is it will quieten Di Resta down a bit. If Perez struggles we'll never hear the end of it.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

LellaLombardi wrote:Part of the reason I want Perez to do well at McLaren is it will quieten Di Resta down a bit. If Perez struggles we'll never hear the end of it.

And I hope Hulkenberg will get some decent results with Sauber. The only reason, why Di Resta was whining about Hulkenberg going to Sauber is the fact, that no other team apart from Force India wants him. And I think seeing his teammate having a chance on the driver's market while he finds himself stuck at Force India must be depressing in some way.

I personally think Di Resta is a decent driver. But his personality (well, the part you notice on TV and interviews) just makes you dislike him in so many ways. C'mon Paul, I wanna see you in 2013 giving an interview and smiling!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

“My race was over on the opening lap when Prémat pushed me into a spin.
I fought back to finish 10th but you don’t get points for this place.”
-*:-
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Jocke1 wrote:04.07.2010
“My race was over on the opening lap when Prémat pushed me into a spin.
I fought back to finish 10th but you don’t get points for this place.”

8 of 10 di Restas
10 of 10 in whining and being di Worst complainer in racing.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

I don't know if this quote by di Resta was already discussed:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113011652717/perez-hits-back-at-di-restas-pay-driver-jibe

Is he trying to tell us, that a team like McLaren is in need to hire paydrivers and Perez is bringing money to McLaren?
Well according to Whitmarsh McLaren are actually paying a good salary to Perez.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Cynon wrote:There needs to be a Paul di Resta Scale for egomaniacal quotes from people who don't deserve to have an ego. It would go from 1 to 10, with 10 di Restas being the average Paul di Resta quote, and 1 being... well, Narain Karthikeyan or HWNSNBM.

Doesn't work as a linear scale. Where would you put Gronholm-esque quotes?

"Yes, so far the car is good,, the only problem is the driver", he said, after crashing out of Rally Mexico. A double world champion...I don't think I ever heard him say one DiResta-esque quote hin his life.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:
Cynon wrote:There needs to be a Paul di Resta Scale for egomaniacal quotes from people who don't deserve to have an ego. It would go from 1 to 10, with 10 di Restas being the average Paul di Resta quote, and 1 being... well, Narain Karthikeyan or HWNSNBM.

"Yes, so far the car is good,, the only problem is the driver", he said, after crashing out of Rally Mexico. A double world champion...I don't think I ever heard him say one DiResta-esque quote hin his life.

Minus di Restas?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:10 of 10 in whining and being di Worst complainer in racing.

All he needs to do is take a Resta for Forti minutes,then he might shut up.But I can see this going on for di Resta of his Life.

The return of the teeible puns!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

WaffleCat wrote:

All he needs to do is take a Resta for Forti minutes,then he might shut up.But I can see this going on for di Resta of his Life.

Dario Franchitti is glad he is in IndyCar after his cousin (referring to Paul di Resta) has been so bad for di Resta of his F1 career due to oversized ego.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:

That would be 0 di Restas or negative di Restas, because there's no sense of entitlement there. It's like using the publicocrapometer on a statement by SOOPA AGURI... you wouldn't get much of a response if any response at all.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:

Dario Franchitti is glad he is in IndyCar after his cousin (referring to Paul di Resta) has been so bad for di Resta of his F1 career due to oversized ego.

If only Di Resta learned to shaddap-a his face...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Ataxia [BacLettNinj] wrote:If only Di Resta learned to shaddap-a his face...

It's-a not so bad, though, as F1 is a nice-a place.
Svenko Wankerov

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105152
"It will be quite nice to race Nico without having team orders," said di Resta.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We've missed the flukey results and the podiums, but I think as a team we wanted consistency far more," di Resta said.

"To do what they have done is score a podium one weekend and then have a ninth place. It automatically cancels it out and you start again. You want to be able to build on that."

Yes, this is the consistency FI would rather have:

7th in Malaysia followed by 12th in China
6th in Bahrain followed by 14th in Spain
7th in Monaco followed by 11th in Canada
7th in Valencia followed by crashing out, 11th, and 12th
4th in Singapore followed by 3 12th places
9th and takes out teammate in Abu Dhabi followed by 15th and 19th
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Problem for di Resta is, it's not easy to get back in fashion in F1 once you lose people's attention the first time. Button only managed it after picking up 10 podiums and being one of the few who put up any sort of fight against the all-conquering F2004s. I don't see di Resta ever having that opportunity.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Problem for di Resta is, it's not easy to get back in fashion in F1 once you lose people's attention the first time. Button only managed it after picking up 10 podiums and being one of the few who put up any sort of fight against the all-conquering F2004s. I don't see di Resta ever having that opportunity.

His best option if he can't do that might be to be an understudy to one of the Franchitti brothers (his cousins) and follow the footsteps.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

di Resta is on Question of Sport RIGHT NOW! Let's see what he says.

e: He said nothing interesting or amusing, but did get all 4 Formula One questions right, so fair enough.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

GwilymJJames wrote:di Resta is on Question of Sport RIGHT NOW! Let's see what he says.

e: He said nothing interesting or amusing, but did get all 4 Formula One questions right, so fair enough.

Does he ever?
James1978

Post by James1978 »

All the questions he got were dead easy though.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

I was browsing twitter when I saw this:

@pauldirestaf1 wrote:Someone has just walked on the plane with a 1m long box of jaffacakes... #veryjealous

Although it is from late December.

According to twitter he also participated in a 105k bike ride with a certain Wurz character.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I stayed for a night in an unheated shack in the Shetlands Islands, in January, with rain and howling gales outside, with only a very wet fleece jacket and a thin blanket to trap as much body heat as possible. And even this comes nowhere close to the horrors that Sniff Petrol are predicting.

They've got a way with words, that lot...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Just browsed through some old F1 news for the unraced cars project, when I saw this:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns00362.html

Michael Schumacher, in 1995 wrote:"I would say that I'm going to stay another five years," he told pressmen in Australia, "but I'm not going to get old in F1. Whether it will be five years or four or six I'm not sure yet."
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pi314159 wrote:
Michael Schumacher, in 1995 wrote:"I would say that I'm going to stay another five years," he told pressmen in Australia, "but I'm not going to get old in F1. Whether it will be five years or four or six I'm not sure yet."

Interestingly enough, the closest he came to retiring before the end of 2006 was Italy 2000, which was five years after he said that.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:
pi314159 wrote:

Interestingly enough, the closest he came to retiring before the end of 2006 was Italy 2000, which was five years after he said that.

Wish he did, early 2000s F1 would've been a hell of a lot more interesting.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
IceG

Post by IceG »

What can I say: http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/85 ... of-seventh

A man on a three-stopper complaining about people on three-stoppers getting in the way after he was (well) beaten by his team-mate on a two-stopper. Perhaps he expected Sutil to let him through?