Greatest Racing Quotes

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Re: Greatest Racing Quotes

Post by JJMonty »

ibsey wrote:
JJMonty wrote:Two interesting quotes that I have heard

1) From Sir JYS on the safety of motorsport. "Jackie Stewart says that in his day of racing, Cars were dangerous and safe was sex...... Now, cars are safe and sex is... not so safe anymore!"

JYS did come up with some pretty decent quotes actually;

Just did a 2 second search & apparently JYS said this..."Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax." :lol:
Source; http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 04991.html

A great quote from JYS that I do vaugely recall from the Mark Stewart (a.k.a his son's) documentary on him (which was shown on BBC4 repeated between 2009 - 2010). Goes something like this..."a racing car is alot like a women. It is very complex, highly strung & sensitive. One has to nurture, caress & coaxes it into doing the things you want it to do."

When he said that, I was half expecting Chef from South Park to break out & start singing one of his songs. :lol:

JYS has had some cracking quotes over the years :D That last one comparing the cars to women reminds me of my lecturer's comments when comparing an engine to a woman - though his was more along the lines of "They are complicated, potentially expensive to maintain and kicks up the biggest fuss at the slightest temperature change!" Who said Engineering wasn't fun anyway? :P

Actually in that same documentry that I quote Sir JYS from, Sir Stirling Moss also had a memorable quote when explaining how much he doesn't like the new safety features.

"To me, Danger was as much of the excitment during a race. You knew it was there, you knew about the consiquenses, but it gave me such a thril to be risking it because I had no idea of the outcome, unpredictable situations are fantastic! I can only compare it to asking a young lady out and then compare it to hiring a prostitute, hiring the prostitute isn't fun because you know the outcome, just like in today's races with the tarmac run off roads, whereas asking a lady out, you don't know what her answer will be!"

Sir Jack Brabham had a good quote "I have an apointment with the man holding the checkered flag, doesn't matter how long it takes me to get to him, as long as I'm first!"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Maybe you are tired of him, but here is yet more Gronhölm. You really have to love how straightforward, honest and to the point he is.

"The car seems to be good and I am happy with that, but the driver's mistakes are not good." - 2006 Rally Mexico, where he rolled out on the opening day and returned under SupeRally to finish 8th.

"Three gears, three gears, whole stage! Look at the time......you can tell Corrado [Provera] that three is enough!"

Interviewer: "Why is [choosing tyres] such a tricky decision today?"
Marcus: "Becuase the road is not here, I cannot see it, that's the problem."

Interviewier: "You seem to have the same pace as Mikko [Hirvonen] though."
Marcus: "Yes, well we have the same car and the same colours on the car so it seems to go the same speed."

"The conditions are awful, I hate them. I have been driving like my grandmother." - 2006 Rally Monte Carlo
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

Not to mention this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPqVkGC-4w
A clip which basically summed up the 307 CC...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

FloProAct wrote:Not to mention this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPqVkGC-4w
A clip which basically summed up the 307 CC...

It's Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen all in one! Tony Fernandes would be proud.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Interviewer: What can you tell us about the conditions on the next loop of stages?

Gronholm: It will be sh*t I think.

Interviewer: Do you think it's raining?

Gronholm: I don't know, I am not a meteorologist

:lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

To race is to live. But those who died while racing knew, perhaps, how to live more than all the others… ( they ) died so that others might live.
Juan Manuel Fangio
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Apparently Murray once said "And now the boot is on the other Schumacher" but I have no recollection of this. I'm trying to picture the context of it. I know it to be pre-Ralf, so it can't be that. All I can imagine it to be is Murray about to say "And now the boot is on the other foot" but before he could finish the sentence the director cut to a shot of Schumacher in the wall or something like that, causing him to shout "SCHUMACHER!" on the end instead.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Martin Brundel in 2011 on Jerome D,Ambrosio

What a shame for D,Ambrosia, other varieties are availible :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
IdeFan

Post by IdeFan »

Juha Kankkunen:

Interviewer: "What kind of tires did you have?"

Kankkunen: "Black Round Pirelli"
"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!" - James Hunt, Monaco 1982
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

LellaLombardi wrote:Apparently Murray once said "And now the boot is on the other Schumacher" but I have no recollection of this. I'm trying to picture the context of it. I know it to be pre-Ralf, so it can't be that. All I can imagine it to be is Murray about to say "And now the boot is on the other foot" but before he could finish the sentence the director cut to a shot of Schumacher in the wall or something like that, causing him to shout "SCHUMACHER!" on the end instead.

I think it was Spain 91 where Schumacher spent most of the afternoon harassing the leaders before falling back to about 5th or 6th place.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Time for another JYS classic quote;

"Anyone who says they enjoy driving at the Nurburgring were either lying. Or were not driving fast enough!".
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

IdeFan wrote:Juha Kankkunen:

Interviewer: "What kind of tires did you have?"

Kankkunen: "Black Round Pirelli"

I think Denny Hulme said something similar to this, something on the lines of when he was asked what tires he wanted he said round black ones.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

"The best driver will be the one who knows when to lift off."

Niki Lauda, when asked who he thought would win the WDC in 2008.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

ibsey wrote:"The best driver will be the one who knows when to lift off."

Niki Lauda, when asked who he thought would win the WDC in 2008.

Well, that is what decided 2007 :lol:
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I just read this in "The Power and The Glory" about the 1976 season which really made me laugh:

John Hogan of Marlboro said "James (Hunt) was a bit like having a dog; you think you have trained it and it's being good, and then it goes and craps on someone else's living room carpet. And that's what he did all the time. Every race there was something".

"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

This is my new favorite quote...

“The car felt so bad,” he says, “and it was a good thing I crashed early on because I didn’t even know what the pitstop procedure was.”

Anyone want to guess who said it. (It shouldn't be too difficult I guess?)

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

ibsey wrote:This is my new favorite quote...

“The car felt so bad,” he says, “and it was a good thing I crashed early on because I didn’t even know what the pitstop procedure was.”

Taki Inoue, someone posted some page that had that quote recently.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
ibsey wrote:This is my new favorite quote...

Taki Inoue, someone posted some page that had that quote recently.

Anyone mentioned this one yet...

Taki’s form did improve over the next few seasons in Japan, scoring a couple of fourths in 1992. However, he admits, “to be honest with you, it happened by chance. Two or three cars were disqualified due to technical problems. I think in one race Jacques Villeneuve’s car was 200g lighter than the minimum weight.”

Source:http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/history/taki-inoue-interview-with-a-pay-driver/

Mind you I suppose every Taki quote these days are simply gold dust.