Vittorio Brambilla

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ross Prawn

Vittorio Brambilla

Post by Ross Prawn »

Vittorio of course was not a reject.

But todays Malaysian GP brings back memories of his famous victory in Austria in 1975 for which he scored half points due to the race being stopped by bad weather. Happily Brambilla spun off and wrecked the nose of the car as soon as he had taken the chequered flag.

A car wrecker of epic proportions, he is sadly missed.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Yannick

Re: Vittorio Brambilla

Post by Yannick »

Knowing the story of that race from my parents, who were there and saw it, I still wonder if Brambilla was the last driver ever to win in F1 in a March? I know the beautifully turquoise Leyton Houses came close twice, but that doesn't count. And Simtek, that was sort of like inheriting the spirit of March, because they too used to be Max's company, well, they went nowhere.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think he very probably was. I know Ronnie Peterson won a race or two in a March but I'm pretty sure that would have been before Brambilla.
Shame I never saw him race, he was a bit before my time. I think he would have been one of my favourites!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I think the last time March won a race was with Ronnie Peterson at the 1977 Italian Grand Prix, so not quite!
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

Here's a marvelous coincidence. Vittorio Brambilla also scored one point in another race that was stopped, the 1975 Spanish Grand Prix. It was on that race that his March teammate, Lella Lombardi, scored half a point, becoming the only woman to score in F1 ever and the driver with lowest number of points above zero.
TedTofield

Post by TedTofield »

Of course the best part about the story of the "Monza Gorillas" win is that when he crossed the finish line, realising he had won he took both hands off the wheel and jammed them into the air in exhultation... (see the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a4mbwhuJfI )..being a soaking wet track he promptly spun off of course. he ploughed into the armco and dislodged the nose, he then continued around to the pits where he was met with a heros welcome and a very bent car!

Vittorio is the very spirit of Rejectdom, trapped in the body of a sucessful racing driver!
runningboots

Post by runningboots »

I'm probably admitting a real weakness here, but why was he called the "Monza Gorilla" ?
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

runningboots wrote:I'm probably admitting a real weakness here, but why was he called the "Monza Gorilla" ?

According to his obituary, it was because of his mad charging/foolhardy style when he raced, and his stocky frame.

As he was known as the Monza Gorilla, maybe it gives another clue as to why he crashed when he won: His long 'gorilla' arms overbalanced the car when he raised them in triumph, and speared him off track. :)
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
TedTofield

Post by TedTofield »

spot on - he came from Monza (...he and his brother ran a garage near the track for years) and one whom uses strength as a substitute for finess is a Gorilla.....
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

midgrid wrote:I think the last time March won a race was with Ronnie Peterson at the 1977 Italian Grand Prix, so not quite!

1976, mate. Ronnie Peterson was at Tyrrell in 1977.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Faustus wrote:
midgrid wrote:I think the last time March won a race was with Ronnie Peterson at the 1977 Italian Grand Prix, so not quite!

1976, mate. Ronnie Peterson was at Tyrrell in 1977.

Whoops, I stand corrected. :oops:

At least it was after Brambilla's win. :P
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Ben Gilbert wrote:
runningboots wrote:I'm probably admitting a real weakness here, but why was he called the "Monza Gorilla" ?

According to his obituary, it was because of his mad charging/foolhardy style when he raced, and his stocky frame.

As he was known as the Monza Gorilla, maybe it gives another clue as to why he crashed when he won: His long 'gorilla' arms overbalanced the car when he raised them in triumph, and speared him off track. :)

Apparently he was also known for his "crushing" handshake, similar to one a well-mannered gorilla might give. :lol:
--Nigel Roebuck
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I've seen his crash at Austria, sort of thing that I do on racing games!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy