Weird Things That Remind You Of F1: The Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Reverie Planetarian

Weird Things That Remind You Of F1: The Thread

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

This is a thread I thought of that's almost the reverse of the "F1-related things you do" thread. I wonder how many of us are reminded of Formula One by perfectly mundane things and occurrences, and what the oddest instances of them are.

For example, I watch this anime review series on TGWTG called Anime Abandon. A while back the host, Bennett The Sage, reviewed a CLAMP manga adaptation called X. The hero was apparently called Kamui, and the name was thrown around enough freaking times that my head drifted to Kobayashi. See for yourself: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the ... -abandon-x

It got really bad; I started imagining F1 all through it, like at some point I could be taking the piss out of the death scenes in the review where Kamui was present and he should be hanging on to a smashed nosecone or recently liberated tire...although maybe his reaction would probably be less "AAAAAUGH" and more "...oh, whoops"...
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
Hound55

Re: Weird Things That Remind You Of F1: The Thread

Post by Hound55 »

I have always associated donuts (the food) with NASCAR. My family used to go to Pocono for a number of years and we would always bring a dozen donuts (which, looking back on it, is a rather appropriate food to bring to a race).

F1-wise, I have always thought of Romain Grosjean when I see the book "Go Dogs Go" thanks to Bob Varsha calling him RoGro one race last year.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Whenever I watch the movie "The Fly II", I take great notice that the main character's name is "Martin Brundle". It was made in 1989, that "other guy" was racing in F1 at the time. So it makes me wonder.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I hear the word booger and Darrell Waltrip appears in my head. I also see the word if as Formula One backwards.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Steak pies remind me of F1. Basically, way back when, it was kind of a tradition for my dad to pop down to the local butchers on a Saturday, pick up some homemade steak pies, and bring them back in time for the Grand Prix.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Any mention of the name Hans. Hans is the guy who runs Pan Pacific KLIA,and is a great friend of my dad. Every Malaysian Grand Prix,except this year,my family would always stay there during the Malaysian Grand Prix. Since the hotel also houses about half of the drivers and crew,Hans gets nice seats on the mainstraight and occasionally paddock passes,which he often shares with us.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

DOSBoot wrote:Whenever I watch the movie "The Fly II", I take great notice that the main character's name is "Martin Brundle". It was made in 1989, that "other guy" was racing in F1 at the time. So it makes me wonder.

"How'd you get your whole leg jammed in the sidepod?!"
"DON'T ASK HOW IT HAPPENED, JUST GET ME UNSTUCK"
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Unless it has been previously associated with something else if I hear music used in F1 music videos (be they fanmade or by FOM) I think F1. It was especially bad with Garbage's "Push It" where I was mentally adding the commentary that was left in a highlight video for the 2005 Bahrain GP (sadly the videos by that guy are gone for good).
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Klon wrote:Unless it has been previously associated with something else if I hear music used in F1 music videos (be they fanmade or by FOM) I think F1. It was especially bad with Garbage's "Push It" where I was mentally adding the commentary that was left in a highlight video for the 2005 Bahrain GP (sadly the videos by that guy are gone for good).

Whenever I hear Robbie William's 'Let Me Entertain You' I always think of a certain Juan Pablo Montoya tribute video I once watched.

On a completely unrelated note, due to my school being generally poor and crappy there's some old science textbooks we occasionally use for cover lesson. The interesting point being there's pictures of the 1990 Williams and Ferrari in it, which was a nice suprise :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Klon wrote:Unless it has been previously associated with something else if I hear music used in F1 music videos (be they fanmade or by FOM) I think F1. It was especially bad with Garbage's "Push It" where I was mentally adding the commentary that was left in a highlight video for the 2005 Bahrain GP (sadly the videos by that guy are gone for good).

Whenever I hear Robbie William's 'Let Me Entertain You' I always think of a certain Juan Pablo Montoya tribute video I once watched.

On a completely unrelated note, due to my school being generally poor and crappy there's some old science textbooks we occasionally use for cover lesson. The interesting point being there's pictures of the 1990 Williams and Ferrari in it, which was a nice suprise :P

On a somewhat related note, my AP chem textbook had a picture with the caption "Methanol, CH3OH, is the fuel used by racecars of the type that race at Indianapolis." Not only was it worded in the most roundabout way imaginable, the picture was of a Ferrari 333. Not an open wheeler, but just a random race car.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Whenever I read or watch stuff about the Battle of the Bulge in World War II, I always remind myself that the whole thing happened right next to the Spa circuit in Belgium. Also, every time I hear "Right Here, Right Now" by Fatboy Slim, I always think of Formula 1 highlights.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Was shaving today..and was reminded of F1 by the fast degrading sharpness of the twin blades...like Pirelli super-softs..
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Back when I was in secondary school in my English class, there was a book that had a picture of Riccardo Patrese winning the 1990 San Marino Grand Prix on the front.
Such a book was usually filled with articles which you had to answer questions about later on. I also remember reading such an article (from 1990 or there about) about a young karter called Danny Wheldon.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The Dutch Bear wrote:Back when I was in secondary school in my English class, there was a book that had a picture of Riccardo Patrese winning the 1990 San Marino Grand Prix on the front.
Such a book was usually filled with articles which you had to answer questions about later on. I also remember reading such an article (from 1990 or there about) about a young karter called Danny Wheldon.

Ahh yes, English comprehension. Remember doing tasks like that in primary school!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

The Dutch Bear wrote:Back when I was in secondary school in my English class, there was a book that had a picture of Riccardo Patrese winning the 1990 San Marino Grand Prix on the front.

My physics class got given a load of old questions that tried to be more interesting/relevant by giving you F1 scenarios- one question started "Damon Hill accelerates up to a speed of..."
Things that remind me of F1: kids who walk really slowly in corridors between lessons yet won't let people pass. I suggested implementing a blue flag system at the last student council but nothing came of it...
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

14 Hundred Hours wrote:

My physics class got given a load of old questions that tried to be more interesting/relevant by giving you F1 scenarios- one question started "Damon Hill accelerates up to a speed of..."
Things that remind me of F1: kids who walk really slowly in corridors between lessons yet won't let people pass. I suggested implementing a blue flag system at the last student council but nothing came of it...

The average Physics question:

Damon Hill accelerates up to a speed of 100 km/h. He travels at a constant speed for 5 seconds before slowing down to a speed of 50 km/h.

Calculate the speed of a neutron.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
14 Hundred Hours wrote:

Damon Hill accelerates up to a speed of 100 km/h. He travels at a constant speed for 5 seconds before slowing down to a speed of 50 km/h.

I also had an F1 example used to explain some physics at school. It was about calculating angular velocity and centrifugal forces, by using camber, grip and speed of an F1 car as examples and a the text book used a picture of Berger in a Ferrari going round what looked like the Peraltada (Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez)
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

johnnyCarwash wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:
14 Hundred Hours wrote:My physics class got given a load of old questions that tried to be more interesting/relevant by giving you F1 scenarios- one question started "Damon Hill accelerates up to a speed of..."

I also had an F1 example used to explain some physics at school. It was about calculating angular velocity and centrifugal forces, by using camber, grip and speed of an F1 car as examples and a the text book used a picture of Berger in a Ferrari going round what looked like the Peraltada (Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez)

My example of such things comes in my German textbook in the "jobs" section, with Autorennfahrer being illustrated by a blurry image of what looks like René Arnoux in the 1983 Ferrari.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I remember a Maths question at school, asking why cars were slower on the first lap of the race... AND I had someone ask me to give him the answer and explain why. :roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

My book I currently take from the school library, on Newton's law, had picture of F2010 on one of it's pages. :o And one of the books from the aforementioned library about transportation misindentifies Gugelmin's incident happened in 1985... while in reality it happened in 1989! :roll:

Also, this monster from RRT4:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

pasta_maldonado wrote:The average Physics question:

It'd be far more interesting to do it in reverse.

Nelson Piquet Jr. crashes at turn 17 in Singapore and decelerates from 120 km/h to zero in 0.34 seconds. Calculate:

(a) his deceleration in g,
(b) Bernd Maylander's fuel economy for the five laps in the safety car in mpg,
(c) Fernando Alonso's blood alcohol level an hour after the podium ceremony, if he drinks as much of the champagne as Kimi Räikkönen usually does.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

My physics textbook has a picture of Mark Webber in 2010 in a topic about centre of mass. Also, few days ago, in English we were revising for our "Information and Ideas" exam, which involves analysing 2 articles, and describing the first in your own words, and how the author portrays his point of view in the second. The articles were on the Crashgate scandal, which led to many of my classmates asking me why Crashgate happened.