Silverstone YDT prospective lineup

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
wsrgo

Silverstone YDT prospective lineup

Post by wsrgo »

Last year, the Young Drivers' Test happened triphasically. This year, it is going to be held only once, and is set to be held at Silverstone in July. Although I'm personally not sure whether it will help(rain is a BIG spoilsport in England, also the positioning of the Test in the middle of the year might lead to teams trying to get in as much in-season testing as possible) it is still going to be a matter of interest as to who fields whom.

Here's my prediction, some are based on reason, some on pure hope.

RED BULL: Antonio Felix da Costa, Mitch Evans
FERRARI: Raffaele Marciello, Davide Rigon
McLAREN: Kevin Magnussen, Stoffel Vandoorne, Gary Paffett.
LOTUS: Davide Valsecchi, Marco Sorensen.
MERCEDES: Sam Bird, Brendon Hartley.
SAUBER: Robin Frijns, Fabio Leimer
FORCE INDIA: James Calado, Luiz Razia
WILLIAMS: Arthur Pic, Daniel Juncadella
TORO ROSSO: Johnny Cecotto Jr, Carlos Sainz Jr.
CATERHAM: Alexander Rossi, Ma Qinghua
MARUSSIA: Felipe Nasr, Rodolfo Gonzalez
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Jocke1

Re: Silverstone YDT prospective lineup

Post by Jocke1 »

wsrgo wrote:Stoffel Vandoorne

Surely one of the top 10 motorsport names of all time.

Paffett again? For him this is more like a MLCDT. Mid-Life Crisis Drivers Test.
But it's never too late, Damon Hill was exactly Paffett's age now, when he raced his first full season of F1.
Go Gary!
-*:-
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Jocke1 wrote:

Paffett again? For him this is more like a MLCDT. Mid-Life Crisis Drivers Test.
But it's never too late, Damon Hill was exactly Paffett's age now, when he raced his first full season of F1.
Go Gary!

Pérez causes a stupid pileup at Monaco, he gets a one-race ban, and Paffett gets subbed in. Also, Bianchi gets 10th due to the pileup.

I can dream.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

I thought about going to the 2012 Silverstone YDT but only 4 drivers running put me off.

Hopefully Auto Moto und Sport is correct and it will involve all 11 teams at Silverstone 17-19 July.

Other names to throw in:

McLaren: Oliver Turvey
Force India: James Rossiter (again?)
Williams: Suzie Stoddart
Ferrari or Lotus: James Calado??

DG
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Nasr in the Marussia? That would make me quite the happy camper :D
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The battle at the YDT I'm most looking forward to is da Costa (RBR) vs Marciello (Ferrari). I think several years from now we'll be talking about these two in the same way we talk about Vettel vs Alonso.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:

Now that is a sig quote!

Hound55 wrote:Nasr in the Marussia? That would make me quite the happy camper :D

I'm happy he is in a F1 car because he is in my opinion an up and coming talent.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I would say:

Red Bull/Toro Rosso

Antonio Felix da Costa is a given for a run in Red Bull. Provided they're all with the team come the YDT, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz, Jr. and Tom Blomqvist all have a look in at Red Bull or sister team Toro Rosso.

Ferrari

Raffaele Marciello is the only Ferrari Driver Academy driver in with a chance at a YDT, so Davide Rigon will probably get a Gary Paffett run.

McLaren

Given their habit of using YDTs as normal tests, Garry Paffett and Oliver Turvey are most likely, with Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne also in with a shout.

Enstone

Davide Valsecchi seems a shoe-in, given his role as test driver. Behind him there's Marco Sorensen and Marlon Stockinger.

Mercedes

Sam Bird and Brendon Hartley.

Sauber

Robin Frijns is the obvious one. Fabio Leimer fits thanks to Swiss-ness.

Force India

James Rossiter is possible, thanks to his role as test driver. Given Force India's precarious finances, I would say whoever has the deepest pockets. Looking at GP2, I would say that would be Johnny Cecotto, Jr. and Julian Leal or Simon Trummer.

Williams

Susie Wolff for one. With Bottas now in a race seat, I think someone like James Calado or Daniel Abt - Abt has the deeper pockets.

Caterham

Alexander Rossi and Ma Qinghua.

Marussia

Now a Ferrari junior team (probably) but without a viable Ferrari junior to test, the seat will go to the person able to pay the most. Rodolfo Gonzalez already has one tied up. Maybe Tio Ellinas will get in, thanks to the GP3 link.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:I would say:

Red Bull/Toro Rosso

Antonio Felix da Costa is a given for a run in Red Bull. Provided they're all with the team come the YDT, Daniil Kvyat, Carlos Sainz, Jr. and Tom Blomqvist all have a look in at Red Bull or sister team Toro Rosso.

Ferrari

Raffaele Marciello is the only Ferrari Driver Academy driver in with a chance at a YDT, so Davide Rigon will probably get a Gary Paffett run.

McLaren

Given their habit of using YDTs as normal tests, Garry Paffett and Oliver Turvey are most likely, with Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne also in with a shout.

Enstone

Davide Valsecchi seems a shoe-in, given his role as test driver. Behind him there's Marco Sorensen and Marlon Stockinger.

Mercedes

Sam Bird and Brendon Hartley.

Sauber

Robin Frijns is the obvious one. Fabio Leimer fits thanks to Swiss-ness.

Force India

James Rossiter is possible, thanks to his role as test driver. Given Force India's precarious finances, I would say whoever has the deepest pockets. Looking at GP2, I would say that would be Johnny Cecotto, Jr. and Julian Leal or Simon Trummer.

Williams

Susie Wolff for one. With Bottas now in a race seat, I think someone like James Calado or Daniel Abt - Abt has the deeper pockets.

Caterham

Alexander Rossi and Ma Qinghua.

Marussia

Now a Ferrari junior team (probably) but without a viable Ferrari junior to test, the seat will go to the person able to pay the most. Rodolfo Gonzalez already has one tied up. Maybe Tio Ellinas will get in, thanks to the GP3 link.

I think one of the Arden non-Red Bull guys(like Mitch Evans) will get a run for Red Bull/Toro Rosso. Remember Razia last year?

I've also heard that Razia is close to getting a run in the YDT with Force India.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

No news of the line-up yet, but the Silverstone YDT date has been fixed. It will take place from 17th to 19th July.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I wonder if they'll open it up to spectators this year?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AustralianStig wrote:According to Twitter they won't be:

https://twitter.com/WilliamEslerF1/stat ... 5406494720

That's not what Silverstone say: https://twitter.com/SilverstoneUK/status/344477038184382465
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

I contacted Silverstone today asking about potential prices for admission and they said at the moment it was assumed to be a closed test with no spectators.

I would advise anyone interested in attending to contact them and at least show that there is interest and tehre is potential income for the circuit. Barcelona charged 15 Euros a day I think, and it all helps keep Bernie in jets....

DG
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Divina_Galica wrote:I contacted Silverstone today asking about potential prices for admission and they said at the moment it was assumed to be a closed test with no spectators.

I would advise anyone interested in attending to contact them and at least show that there is interest and tehre is potential income for the circuit. Barcelona charged 15 Euros a day I think, and it all helps keep Bernie in jets....

DG

I got the same thing from Silverstone this morning. Crap. I wanted to go.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Faustus wrote:
Divina_Galica wrote:I contacted Silverstone today asking about potential prices for admission and they said at the moment it was assumed to be a closed test with no spectators.

DG

I wonder if it is perhaps down to some of the teams being keen to avoid photographers taking shots of the cars in action? A few teams have used the Young Driver tests in the past as an impromptu mid season test session to try out new bits of bodywork, so perhaps they don't want too many photos of upgraded components leaking onto the internet too quickly.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

mario wrote:
Faustus wrote:

DG

I wonder if it is perhaps down to some of the teams being keen to avoid photographers taking shots of the cars in action? A few teams have used the Young Driver tests in the past as an impromptu mid season test session to try out new bits of bodywork, so perhaps they don't want too many photos of upgraded components leaking onto the internet too quickly.

Not really - it is the other teams who are interested in what rival cars are doing development-wise and they will all be there at the circuit. Press and photographers will undoubtably be there so plenty opportunities for reviewing the cars.

I would guess that the descision will be a cost/health and safety issue. If they let spectators in then they will have to employ a certain number of staff, pay for indemnity insurance, and have to consider things like traffic/catering/toilets etc etc. Of course we all know that anyone could go to the Barcelona tests (for €15 I think) but everything has to be gold-plated here doesn't it? :oops: :oops:

DG
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure that I read that Bernie would be involved in promoting tests as well as the races, and therefore if an entrance fee is charged, some of it would end up lining his pocket. Possibly?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

dr-baker wrote:Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure that I read that Bernie would be involved in promoting tests as well as the races, and therefore if an entrance fee is charged, some of it would end up lining his pocket. Possibly?

Nowadays everything is linked with Bernie's pocket. At this rate, all the currencies that are printed will end up in EEP (Ecclestone's elastic pocket)..

Poor Lucy Locket...

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Given that this has kinda become the general YDT discussion thread, heres an interesting tit-bit I saw on F1 Fanatic

F1 Fanatic, having nicked it from The Telegraph, wrote:“Red Bull executives are considering boycotting the young drivers’ test to set up their own private session in a mirror of the Mercedes case. A private test would breach the FIA rule book but Red Bull are said to have told [Bernie] Ecclestone that they would take the risk of a reprimand – the punishment meted out to Mercedes – for the benefit of three days of testing.”

If thats true, they really are going for the popularity award now..
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Given that this has kinda become the general YDT discussion thread, heres an interesting tit-bit I saw on F1 Fanatic

F1 Fanatic, having nicked it from The Telegraph, wrote:“Red Bull executives are considering boycotting the young drivers’ test to set up their own private session in a mirror of the Mercedes case. A private test would breach the FIA rule book but Red Bull are said to have told [Bernie] Ecclestone that they would take the risk of a reprimand – the punishment meted out to Mercedes – for the benefit of three days of testing.”

Marko's already come out and said that was a joke. They may not have been serious, but talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. :roll:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:Given that this has kinda become the general YDT discussion thread, heres an interesting tit-bit I saw on F1 Fanatic

Marko's already come out and said that was a joke. They may not have been serious, but talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. :roll:

Did he indicate that he himself was joking around, or was he implying that the claims by The Times were utterly laughable?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mario wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Marko's already come out and said that was a joke. They may not have been serious, but talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. :roll:

Did he indicate that he himself was joking around, or was he implying that the claims by The Times were utterly laughable?

The former.
Everything's great.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
mario wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:Marko's already come out and said that was a joke. They may not have been serious, but talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. :roll:

The former.

Dr. Marko's got a very "special" sense of humour, in that case...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Ataxia wrote:Dr. Marko's got a very "special" sense of humour, in that case...

So it's basically like this?
Last edited by Klon on 25 Jun 2013, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Klon wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Dr. Marko's got a very "special" sense of humour, in that case...

http://i.imgur.com/KqS67.jpg

Strong language, there... :!:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Be careful, Klon. There are young people here. We don't need you doing that on this "family friendly" forum!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:Be careful, Klon. There are young people here. We don't need you doing that on this "family friendly" forum!

Woah, just a little bit of an over-reaction there...if you're not old enough to be around these words then you're not old enough to be on the internet, in my opinion.

It was far more relevant than some of the stuff posted here, anyway.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Be careful, Klon. There are young people here. We don't need you doing that on this "family friendly" forum!

Woah, just a little bit of an over-reaction there...if you're not old enough to be around these words then you're not old enough to be on the internet, in my opinion.

This. I've seen way, waaaay wore things than this. (Plus it was funny. :lol: )
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:

Then why is wmetcalf on this forum, may I ask? I believe he's only 10...

Plus, my parents don't mind that much. Quite disturbing, I'd say ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

go_Rubens wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

Then why is wmetcalf on this forum, may I ask? I believe he's only 10...

Plus, my parents don't mind that much. Quite disturbing, I'd say ;)

While I'm not bothered by curse words, I think it's a general principle not to allow them here. Klon already edited his post to have a link instead of an image, and I've done the same to good_Ralf's post where he quoted it.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Red Bull have confirmed that Antonio Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz, Jr. will be doing the YDT for them.

http://www.f1zone.net/news/da-costa-and ... est/19505/

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

wsrgo wrote:Red Bull have confirmed that Antonio Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz, Jr. will be doing the YDT for them.

This is not an unpopular opinion. I think Antonio Felix da Costa is a future world champion.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

go_Rubens wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Red Bull have confirmed that Antonio Felix da Costa and Carlos Sainz, Jr. will be doing the YDT for them.

This is not an unpopular opinion. I think Antonio Felix da Costa is a future world champion.

But Vandoorne..

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

But Vandoorne..

And Kevin Magnussen... and Robin Frijns...
Everything's great.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

The test is open to the public. Tickes to go on sale soon so contact Silverstone for prices.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AdrianSutil wrote:The test is open to the public. Tickes to go on sale soon so contact Silverstone for prices.

Are you sure? So they've changed their mind? Sweet! Definitely up for this one. Anyone else fancy it?
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Faustus wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:The test is open to the public. Tickes to go on sale soon so contact Silverstone for prices.

Are you sure? So they've changed their mind? Sweet! Definitely up for this one. Anyone else fancy it?

Jon Noble on twitter confirmed it. But check with them first just to make sure.

I can't make it I'm afraid.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AdrianSutil wrote:I can't make it I'm afraid.

Boooo!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l