trivia question....

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
tommykl

Re: trivia question....

Post by tommykl »

good_Ralf wrote:
tommykl wrote:No internet searching here, that would be too easy...

Who is the youngest driver from the USA to start a World Championship race?

No idea. Scott Speed.

By the way, are you including the Indy 500's that were counted as rounds of the championship from 1950 to 1960?

If so, I'll guess Troy Ruttman.

I am including the Indy 500, and it's neither of the two, though Ruttman is second youngest.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

IIRC Eddie Cheever was fairly young when he first got into F1?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

ibsey wrote:

Correct! Cheever was 20 years, 1 month and 22 days old at the 1978 South African Grand Prix, his first ever start, and last prior to 1980. He had entered the previous two races for Theodore (the Argentine GP was held five days after his birthday), but failed to qualify and moved to Hesketh for South Africa. Troy Ruttman was 20 years, 2 months and 19 days old for the 1950 Indy 500.

This also makes him the youngest Italian-born driver ever, the ninth youngest to start a race.

In something completely unrelated, who is reported to have asked "Am I Rookie of the Year?", where, when and under what circumstances?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tommykl wrote:In something completely unrelated, who is reported to have asked "Am I Rookie of the Year?", where, when and under what circumstances?

I’m guessing it’s someone who was brought up in the US racing scene. Since the ‘Rookie of the Year’ title over there seems to be a bigger deal than in Europe for example.

The first thought that springs to mind is JV after losing the WDC at Suzuka 1996. Perhaps JV thought there may be some sort of prize money or award in F1 for achieving 'Rookie of the Year'. As if my memory serves me correctly I think JV won ‘Rookie of the Year’ in Indycars in 1994 (where there probably is some prize money for winning that title in Indy Racing).

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

ibsey wrote:
tommykl wrote:In something completely unrelated, who is reported to have asked "Am I Rookie of the Year?", where, when and under what circumstances?

I’m guessing it’s someone who was brought up in the US racing scene. Since the ‘Rookie of the Year’ title over there seems to be a bigger deal than in Europe for example.

The first thought that springs to mind is JV after losing the WDC at Suzuka 1996. Perhaps JV thought there may be some sort of prize money or award in F1 for achieving 'Rookie of the Year'. As if my memory serves me correctly I think JV won ‘Rookie of the Year’ in Indycars in 1994 (where there probably is some prize money for winning that title in Indy Racing).

You're on the right track when you say it's someone who came from the US racing scene, but it's not Villeneuve.

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

tommykl wrote:
ibsey wrote:

Correct! Cheever was 20 years, 1 month and 22 days old at the 1978 South African Grand Prix, his first ever start, and last prior to 1980. He had entered the previous two races for Theodore (the Argentine GP was held five days after his birthday), but failed to qualify and moved to Hesketh for South Africa. Troy Ruttman was 20 years, 2 months and 19 days old for the 1950 Indy 500.

This also makes him the youngest Italian-born driver ever, the ninth youngest to start a race.

In something completely unrelated, who is reported to have asked "Am I Rookie of the Year?", where, when and under what circumstances?

:oops: I forgot about Cheever. I was actually going through the top 10 list of youngest starters in my head later on and I came across Eddie.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

I could imagine Montoya piping up with a remark like that...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

HonoraryNortherner wrote:I could imagine Montoya piping up with a remark like that...

Nope, try again.

The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

It was A.J. Foyt after winning the 1967 24 hours of Le Mans. The answer was no, because 'Rookie of the Year' didn't (and I believe still doesn't) exist in Europe.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

The Dutch Bear wrote:It was A.J. Foyt after winning the 1967 24 hours of Le Mans. The answer was no, because 'Rookie of the Year' didn't (and I believe still doesn't) exist in Europe.

It was indeed :)

A.J. won the 24 Hours in his first participation in a European-style race, then on podium (perhaps humorously) asked "Do I win Rookie of the Year?"

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ok I’ve got a question, which team had its two drivers qualify for a GP with tyres provided by one manufacturer on the front. And tyres provided by a second manufacturer on the rear of the car? Also which race did this bizarre feat happen at?

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

ibsey wrote:Ok I’ve got a question, which team had its two drivers qualify for a GP with tyres provided by one manufacturer on the front. And tyres provided by a second manufacturer on the rear of the car? Also which race did this bizarre feat happen at?

Now, I'd never heard of that before...I'm guessing it'll be sometime in the 70s.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Sounds kinda like a groovy 60s thing to do.
Just For One Day...
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

tommykl wrote:
ibsey wrote:Ok I’ve got a question, which team had its two drivers qualify for a GP with tyres provided by one manufacturer on the front. And tyres provided by a second manufacturer on the rear of the car? Also which race did this bizarre feat happen at?

Now, I'd never heard of that before...I'm guessing it'll be sometime in the 70s.

Not quite the 1970's, I'm afraid.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

CoopsII wrote:Sounds kinda like a groovy 60s thing to do.

The example I had in mind, is not from the groovy 60's either I'm afraid.

HonoraryNortherner

Would this be something which happened with March in 1982 after Avon pulled out?
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

HonoraryNortherner wrote:

Would this be something which happened with March in 1982 after Avon pulled out?

It was indeed a situation that occurred just after Avon pulled out of F1 in 1982. Well done! :)

But March was not the team I was looking for. The team in question did run with Avon (cross-piles) on the front of their car however and another tyre manufacture on the rear. Also do you have any idea which GP weekend it happened at in 1982?

mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:
HonoraryNortherner wrote:

It was indeed a situation that occurred just after Avon pulled out of F1 in 1982. Well done! :)

But March was not the team I was looking for. The team in question did run with Avon (cross-piles) on the front of their car however and another tyre manufacture on the rear. Also do you have any idea which GP weekend it happened at in 1982?

Bit of a wild guess here - was it Ensign then (with Pirelli being the other tyre manufacturer they used)?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

mario wrote:Bit of a wild guess here - was it Ensign then (with Pirelli being the other tyre manufacturer they used)?

It was not Ensign either I’m afraid. Keep going through your almost there with regards to getting the team in question. To remind you, this team had its two drivers qualify for the GP, using the unusual tyre arrangement. However you are correct in that Pirelli (radials) tyres were the ones that were used on the rear, by this team.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Theodore? Either Monza or Caesars Palace
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

AxelP800 wrote:Theodore? Either Monza or Caesars Palace

Unfortunately not, try again.

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Is it ATS?
-*:-
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Jocke1 wrote:Is it ATS?

Indeed it is. Well done Jocke1 :)

Good old Gunther Schmid mixing up the tyres there. With regards to the race in question lets just say, this wasn't a particularly difficult race for ATS to qualify for.

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Imola?
mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:

Good old Gunther Schmid mixing up the tyres there. With regards to the race in question lets just say, this wasn't a particularly difficult race for ATS to qualify for.

So it must be San Marino then, given that the limited entry list made qualifying a formality. I'm surprised that it would have occurred so recently in history though - I would have thought that, by then, the regulations would have required the tyres to form part of the same set rather than permitting mixing and matching (given how rampant cheating was at the time, you'd assume some controls like that might have been brought in around that time).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

mario wrote:
ibsey wrote:

So it must be San Marino then, given that the limited entry list made qualifying a formality. I'm surprised that it would have occurred so recently in history though - I would have thought that, by then, the regulations would have required the tyres to form part of the same set rather than permitting mixing and matching (given how rampant cheating was at the time, you'd assume some controls like that might have been brought in around that time).

I do remember that when the 1982 Swiss GP was rebroadcast here a few years ago, the commentators mentioned Keke Rosberg using a mixed set of soft and hard tyres in his car due to the unique nature of the Dijon-Prenois track. But I'm not sure when it was ruled that all four tyres on a car have to be of the same compound.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

So, guess who this F1 driver could be:

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

... Nick Heidfeld in his Sauber days?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:... Nick Heidfeld in his Sauber days?

Wow, that went fast. You win. :)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Indeed it is Imola 1982, with my previous question. Well done to both Jocke1 & Mario. Here’s the answer in full;

“A bizarre tyre situation ensnared the ATS team. They were running on Avon tyres and Avon withdrew. On the Friday they used tyres from Long Beach, which were too soft to be effective. The team boss, Gunther Schmid, cast round and on Saturday his two cars emerged with Avons (cross-piles) on the front and Pirelli (radial) on the back. Manfred Winkelhock – like Henton, built for Wakefield Trinity rather than Imola – qualified his ATS on the second last row (with Henton), leaving the final row to young Paletti’s Osella and Salazar in the other ATS.”

Source: 1982, The inside story of the sensational Grand Prix season by Christopher Hilton.

mario wrote:So it must be San Marino then, given that the limited entry list made qualifying a formality. I'm surprised that it would have occurred so recently in history though - I would have thought that, by then, the regulations would have required the tyres to form part of the same set rather than permitting mixing and matching (given how rampant cheating was at the time, you'd assume some controls like that might have been brought in around that time).

I think all of the in fighting in F1 at the time between FISA & FOCA (which according to Wikipedia started in 1979), meant that FISA’s focus was shifted away from introducing new regulations to stop teams cheating or exploiting loopholes like this one with the tyres. So the teams were well ahead of the rule makers in terms of identifying potential areas to cheat in or potential loopholes to exploit. Hence the reason pretty much the entire grid were either cheating or abusing the rules in the early 80’s. And quite possibly the races prior to the 1982 San Marino GP, was the peak of it all.

Also I wonder whether or not the people at FISA at the time (Balestre and his chums), were actually capable of maintaining that ‘step ahead’ any rule bending teams. Even in ideal circumstances? Instead they always seemed to react to things, rather than being pro-actively about things.

As an interesting aside to this, in regards to Piquet and Rosberg DSQ from the 1982 Brazilian GP (which happened just prior to Imola & is an example of what I mean above because in effect FISA closed off a loophole in the regulations retrospectively and with no consultation). Apparently Watson’s Mclaren (who was gifted 2nd at Rio) had been as innocent or as guilty as Piquet’s Brabham and Rosberg’s Williams but nobody protested it…

Nuppiz wrote:I do remember that when the 1982 Swiss GP was rebroadcast here a few years ago, the commentators mentioned Keke Rosberg using a mixed set of soft and hard tyres in his car due to the unique nature of the Dijon-Prenois track. But I'm not sure when it was ruled that all four tyres on a car have to be of the same compound.

Senna was famous for using different tyre compounds on his car, so I’m guessing it might have been around 1993 when IIRC I think Goodyear became the sole tyre supplier in F1 & they modified there tyres slightly? Just a guess though.

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I'm thinking the rule about the tyres all being the same compound was perhaps introduced as part of the new regulation package before 1994? I mean, most of the changes were aimed at pushing driver skill to the forefront, so my thinking is that, rather than picking the 4 tyres that work best on your car, you have to strike a compromise, and try and get the most out of 4 tyres of the same compound. Obviously, this is just an educated (?) guess, it could well be completely wrong
TORA! TORA! TORA!
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I'm thinking the rule about the tyres all being the same compound was perhaps introduced as part of the new regulation package before 1994? I mean, most of the changes were aimed at pushing driver skill to the forefront, so my thinking is that, rather than picking the 4 tyres that work best on your car, you have to strike a compromise, and try and get the most out of 4 tyres of the same compound. Obviously, this is just an educated (?) guess, it could well be completely wrong

You could be right. Since in GP2 (the Geoff Crammond PC game) which was based on the 1994 F1 season, I don't think you were able to select different tyre compounds for different corners of the car. Where as you could make other very detailed setup changes (including monitoring the underfloor plank which was 'only' introduced at the 1994 German GP). So it seems doubtful the game developers forgot about it. Mind you having said that I haven't played GP2 for a good few years now...

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

No internet searching, please

When did Robert Kubica lead a lap of a Grand Prix for the last time ever? :(

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:No internet searching, please

When did Robert Kubica lead a lap of a Grand Prix for the last time ever? :(

Last lap of the Canadian GP that he won? Would be sad and tragic if it was...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Definitely isn't Canada for Kubica because he led some of Japan 2008 before Alonso passed him in the pits. I'm going for that as can't think of him leading a race in 2009 or 2010 though I may have missed the odd lap during pitstop sequences.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
HonoraryNortherner

I'm going to plump for Australia 2010, sometime during the pitstops.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Monaco 2010?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

My best guess would be Fuji 2008 when he got that good start at the beginning of the race.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

IIRC he ended up on the podium at Spa 2010. So perhaps at some point during that race?

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I've decided to give out the answer. It was Japan 2008 at Fuji, with Bob leading the race before he made his second stop. It is a shame that Kubica didn't lead in 2009 and especially 2010. In Belgium of 2010 however, Kubica was momentarily ahead of winner Hamilton in the pits during the switch to intermediates. But Hamilton crossed the start/finish line first, therefore leading the lap and then Robert went into his box a little too fast.