Christian Horner OBE

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: Christian Horner OBE

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
Wallio wrote:I for one couldn't stand Flavor Flav.

:shock: But why?

Incompetence (in his books Steve Matchett talks oh how Flav knew literally nothing about the cars during his Benetton days), corruption, greed, arrogance, being a decent manager and good PR guy on otherwise great teams (makin him look better), knocking up hedi klum, take your pick

:oops: :oops: I apologise 100%. i genuinely believed you meant the guy from Public Enemy and I couldnt see why. Briatore? Thats your opinion, go for it.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:So? Why does it have to be such a big deal?

Its only a big deal if you make it a big deal.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:
BlindCaveSalamander wrote:So? Why does it have to be such a big deal?

Its only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

I wasn't aware that I was. You were the one who brought it up.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote: :oops: :oops: I apologise 100%. i genuinely believed you meant the guy from Public Enemy and I couldnt see why. Briatore? Thats your opinion, go for it.

ah my bad. Over here in America Matchett and Hobbs referrred to him as "Flavor Flav" (pronounced Fa-lav) and I still do. I forgot most people wouldn't get it.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Don't see the fuss, really. All he gets are three extra letters and a medal.

Red Bull have won three titles under his leadership. Don't tell me that's not worth something anyway.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:Don't see the fuss, really. All he gets are three extra letters and a medal.

Red Bull have won three titles under his leadership. Don't tell me that's not worth something anyway.

And yet it seems to have provoked quite a flurry of activity and a few slightly heated comments being slung back and forth - I hope that things do not get too heated.

CarlosFerreira wrote:TL;DR: Horner is very good all round.

pasta: it's not about if one has "displayed his authority", etc. That might be your model of what a team principal should be, but it is not a measure of management efficiency, or success for that matter. Wins, that's the measure of success. Or albums sold, for that matter. In modern society, it seems that only wins - and the monetary compensation that comes with it - is a measure of success. You may think that is incorrect - I, for one, do - but that's a discussion about what things should be like, not about how things are.

Back to Horner: the big story of the last 10 years in F1, like it or not, is the rise and rise of Red Bull. We may dislike it - I personally think F1 would be a better place if the soft drinks salesmen packed up and left, today - but they are a story of success. Horner is key to that story. He has managed to bring together difficult personalities - such as Newey, a notoriously fickle individual, and the Austrian fellow whose name I can't remember right now is not easy either -, difficult technical partners - how many times has Renault threatened to leave? -, a genious driver and make them work together. At the same time he has kept Webber happy-ish (fundamental for winning the constructors' Championship, which is where money for the teams is), and fought off the attempts of Toro Rosso to become more important than they should. And finally, he has those mechanics and pit crew working like a well tuned engine, regularly the fastest pit crew in the paddock.

Is that enough? Seriously, why don't we elect Horner as the new PM?

It is an interesting question - Horner has had some difficulties along the way, but on the other hand he has had the benefit of a fairly healthy budget in recent years, and there are many areas of industry, not just F1, where money can be extremely effective in smoothing out any impediments in your path. Of course, money alone is not the sole route to success - Toyota have shown us that many times in the past, and Horner has been quite effective in deploying those resources to the full in a way that some other outfits have not always managed to do. Others have brought up a comparison to McLaren, and I would say that, frankly, for the resources that McLaren have had in recent years, the team has failed to deliver on the promise they have shown at times - moreover, at times I feel that there is something of a discrepancy between the clinical outlook that they profess to have and the way in which they have actually acted on track, which sometimes has lacked that ability to dispassionately and critically evaluate themselves.

Admittedly, if I were to look amongst the senior managers of the teams and were asked to nominate those who were the most effective at their jobs, I wouldn't put Horner right at the top of the list.Personally, I would have said that, in terms of the efficiency with which they have used the more limited resources at their command, that I would have ranked James Allison and Andrew Green (the Force India Technical Director) ahead of Horner. I know that their roles are slightly different, but, overall, I would have said that, although the latter two obviously haven't had the same outright level of success as Red Bull, the results they have got relative to their resources are probably more impressive.
Still, in terms of converting resources into victories and titles, Horner has generally delivered, and if it is titles and trophies that are to be the final arbitrator in such a decision, it cannot be denied that the team have been accruing those at a vast rate of knots in recent years.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

How did I miss this thread? Anyways. My reaction to Christian Horner's OBE.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Svenko Wankerov

Post by Svenko Wankerov »

It's not like Horner just showed up at Red Bull and lucked into success. He ran a highly successful F3000 team before getting into F1.

Comparing Horner to technical directors is completely pointless. He doesn't design the cars and the person he has handling that is regarded as the best in the business.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:He ran a highly successful F3000 team before getting into F1.

Not to say that things didn't go wrong at times. Even if it wasn't his fault there.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

mario wrote:Admittedly, if I were to look amongst the senior managers of the teams and were asked to nominate those who were the most effective at their jobs, I wouldn't put Horner right at the top of the list.Personally, I would have said that, in terms of the efficiency with which they have used the more limited resources at their command, that I would have ranked James Allison and Andrew Green (the Force India Technical Director) ahead of Horner. I know that their roles are slightly different, but, overall, I would have said that, although the latter two obviously haven't had the same outright level of success as Red Bull, the results they have got relative to their resources are probably more impressive.
Still, in terms of converting resources into victories and titles, Horner has generally delivered, and if it is titles and trophies that are to be the final arbitrator in such a decision, it cannot be denied that the team have been accruing those at a vast rate of knots in recent years.

Fair enough - Andrew Green has been very impressive, and we'll soon see what Generic Team Enstone minus Allison looks like. BUT note that there are usually no voices agains Horner coming from inside Red Bull. I can't even remember Webber (or Vettel for that matter) complaining about him. Oh, and he's just negotiated for the best driver in the world to remain in his team for a while longer. Surely that's another medal on his chest.

We may argue about Christian Horner's merits and low points until the cows come home. All I am pointing out is that the negative reaction is more about him being associated with Vettel's successes than anything else. My point is simple: regardless of personal opinions, Horner is to team managers what Vettel is for drivers.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Oh, and he's just negotiated for the best driver in the world to remain in his team for a while longer.

I didn't know Alonso just signed for Red Bull :P

In all seriousness while I don't like him Horner has usually done a great job as Red Bull boss but he hasn't done anything to deserve this honour.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:These things are as irrelevant as the royal family when Ron Dennis is a CBE and Bernie isn't.

http://i.imgur.com/qVJE8B5.png

And Lotus appear to have found that image.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eurobrun wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Oh, and he's just negotiated for the best driver in the world to remain in his team for a while longer.

I didn't know Alonso just signed for Red Bull :P

As a fan of Alonso through and through, I'm not sure what to feel about this... Fernando has been consistently superb, but so has Vettel. The difference is that Vettel has had a better car throughout; does that make him worse?

Nevermind, that's not important. Let's all keep on discussing whether Herner deserves this or not. It's much more pleasant than to watch Vettel's cavalcade to a 4th title. :|
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Svenko Wankerov wrote:Image

Almost as embarrasing as this:

-*:-
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

That last photo just suddenly reminded me what my German teacher (he taught the subject/language, rather than being from Germany!) once said in a class. At the time, I was sitting behind one of the female members of the class. I remember because of the circumstances. He had just told a joke, as he was known to do every so often. He then turned to me and said, "BAKER! I don't like boys who laugh with their hands under the table!" They were on my lap, honest!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

pasta_maldonado wrote:As for these honours, while I approve of most of the appointments, some baffle me. Services to the entertainment industry? Services to any industry? Please.

Exactly. The whole honours system is a joke. More than 1000 handed out this time around. Ridiculous. Read the list, over half are public servants and / or politicians and lots of 'for public and political service'. One dude got one 'for services to Digital Switchover'. I thought people received financial remuneration for their services.
So when all of these supposedly 'worthy' people receive them, does that mean that the rest of us start getting them as well? How long until everyone has one?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

Faustus wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:As for these honours, while I approve of most of the appointments, some baffle me. Services to the entertainment industry? Services to any industry? Please.

Exactly. The whole honours system is a joke. More than 1000 handed out this time around. Ridiculous. Read the list, over half are public servants and / or politicians and lots of 'for public and political service'. One dude got one 'for services to Digital Switchover'. I thought people received financial remuneration for their services.
So when all of these supposedly 'worthy' people receive them, does that mean that the rest of us start getting them as well? How long until everyone has one?

I think it's in recognition of the fact you have done particularly well in your chosen field, rather than to reward you for anything specifically. I suspect that whether or not you approve of them is also more of a marker on where you stand with society and the monarchy (unless you just missed out on one, I guess).
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
RAK

Post by RAK »

Eifelland wrote:
Faustus wrote:

I think it's in recognition of the fact you have done particularly well in your chosen field, rather than to reward you for anything specifically. I suspect that whether or not you approve of them is also more of a marker on where you stand with society and the monarchy (unless you just missed out on one, I guess).

And anyway, Horner deserves this honour (slightly) more than Tracey Emin deserves her bloody CBE. My great-grandfather was awarded a CBE for his services during the Second World War; she gets it for an unmade bed and a tent with names stitched all over it. If an unmade bed constitutes art, then I'm Leonardo da Vinci.

The whole honours system is a joke and hasn't meant anything for a long time (if ever), but Horner has at least presided over a successful team, even if he hasn't stopped the bad blood between Vettel and Webber or the like.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!