The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Alextrax52

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by Alextrax52 »

roblomas52 wrote:Brilliant moto3 race here at Mugello.

Yeah except we keep getting the same bloody podium each and every race with Salom Rins and Vinales. I'll be glad when they move up.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

ROTR: Marc Marquez: He's had an absolute shocker of a weekend throwing his bike into the gravel at every opportunity. I never thought we would see another weekend similar to Romain Grosjean at Monaco and Marc has every right to curse himself because he's demonstrated how title's are lost in MotoGP perfectly
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'm interested to hear the thoughts of everyone on the Rossi-Bautista incident. Whichever way you see it, that's terrible luck for Valentino. I looking forward to seeing how he stacked up against the other top guys. He's always gone quite well at Mugello.

Also, as an aside, Marquez binning it at the end saved Pedrosa a fair bit of embarrassment - getting beaten by his smashed up, injured rookie teammate.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Meanwhile, while Bautista looks frantically in the back of his garage for a fake mustache...

Kimi-ICE wrote:ROTR: Marc Marquez: He's had an absolute shocker of a weekend throwing his bike into the gravel at every opportunity. I never thought we would see another weekend similar to Romain Grosjean at Monaco and Marc has every right to curse himself because he's demonstrated how title's are lost in MotoGP perfectly

Seriously? I thought we prized the riders who try. Especially a rookie rider. And don't get me started on Grosjean, I really disagree with most of the stick he's been getting.

On the Bautista/Valentino: Ben Spies was explaining that at that point in the corner Bautista won't have any visibility to his right, so he won't have seen Valentino. Racing incident was his opinion. I am tempted to agree with the guy.

I actually do not have a ROTR for this one. Everyone did wonderfully. The closest I come to it is to point out that de Puniet was beaten by not only Aleix, but also Barbera in the FTR-Kawasaki. Great stuff for Hector, making him my personal IIDOTR.

About Crutchlow, once again. He looked like he was going to get Dani - if only he hadn't tangled with Dovi for a bit in the beginning. He sounded really positive in the end, and it looks like Yamaha might be prepared to start giving him a better bike. Hmm.

Smith currently speaking on TV, wearing shades. Look at him in profile and he has stitches on the side of his left, which adds to the issue with the finger. That guy needs a drink/hug/cuddle/all of the above. Great to see him finish the race, and do his best lap in the last lap. Always learning.

Final shout out for Pirro. 7th in the lab-Duke, behind Dovi and Hayden. Loving it.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Meanwhile, while Bautista looks frantically in the back of his garage for a fake mustache...

Kimi-ICE wrote:ROTR: Marc Marquez: He's had an absolute shocker of a weekend throwing his bike into the gravel at every opportunity. I never thought we would see another weekend similar to Romain Grosjean at Monaco and Marc has every right to curse himself because he's demonstrated how title's are lost in MotoGP perfectly

Seriously? I thought we prized the riders who try. Especially a rookie rider. And don't get me started on Grosjean, I really disagree with most of the stick he's been getting.

On the Bautista/Valentino: Ben Spies was explaining that at that point in the corner Bautista won't have any visibility to his right, so he won't have seen Valentino. Racing incident was his opinion. I am tempted to agree with the guy.

I actually do not have a ROTR for this one. Everyone did wonderfully. The closest I come to it is to point out that de Puniet was beaten by not only Aleix, but also Barbera in the FTR-Kawasaki. Great stuff for Hector, making him my personal IIDOTR.

About Crutchlow, once again. He looked like he was going to get Dani - if only he hadn't tangled with Dovi for a bit in the beginning. He sounded really positive in the end, and it looks like Yamaha might be prepared to start giving him a better bike. Hmm.

Smith currently speaking on TV, wearing shades. Look at him in profile and he has stitches on the side of his left, which adds to the issue with the finger. That guy needs a drink/hug/cuddle/all of the above. Great to see him finish the race, and do his best lap in the last lap. Always learning.

Final shout out for Pirro. 7th in the lab-Duke, behind Dovi and Hayden. Loving it.

It's about time Marquez got a ROTR because whenever i see him race he's always this wunderkid who won't stop winning and hardly does anything wrong. He's like a worse version of Vettel in all honesty. My hate against him actually starts at Qatar last year when he biffed Luthi off the track and took a win i feel didn't deserve to be his and any respect i had left for him at all went after Jerez where he barged Lorenzo off. Marquez could go on a Rossi style championship streak and i still wouldn't like him. This really is an unpopular opinion isn't it?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Kimi-ICE wrote:It's about time Marquez got a ROTR because whenever i see him race he's always this wunderkid who won't stop winning and hardly does anything wrong. He's like a worse version of Vettel in all honesty. My hate against him actually starts at Qatar last year when he biffed Luthi off the track and took a win i feel didn't deserve to be his and any respect i had left for him at all went after Jerez where he barged Lorenzo off. Marquez could go on a Rossi style championship streak and i still wouldn't like him. This really is an unpopular opinion isn't it?

I honestly don't know. I do prefer not to use words such as "hate" - honestly, if you hate someone, why would you bother tuning into the race on Sunday? As for Marquez being whinny... well, Stoner was whinny. He would always complain, always be against everything, always say he didn't like the track, the bike, the weather, the scenery... wow, did he complain. Marquez? I always see him grinning to be honest. He actually looks like he's having fun.

I'm glad no one is looking at MotoGP and giving away ROTRs and IIDOTR, as for F1. I suppose we can all have our opinions. Hey, I have a dislike for Rossi, it's well known and documented. Fair enough. But hate? Come on, mate! No form of motorsports is worth our bile. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Final shout out for Pirro. 7th in the lab-Duke, behind Dovi and Hayden. Loving it.

And Espargaro 8th. These two really had a good race!
Pirro only 19 seconds behind the main Ducatis - that is something sensational to be looked at.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Shizuka wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Final shout out for Pirro. 7th in the lab-Duke, behind Dovi and Hayden. Loving it.

Pirro only 19 seconds behind the main Ducatis - that is something sensational to be looked at.

True. Espargaro has been so consistently awesome, it almost makes him go under the radar. He's been amazing, always on.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

True. Espargaro has been so consistently awesome, it almost makes him go under the radar. He's been amazing, always on.

Seconded.
Also Carlos, you mentioned IIDOTR but since this is bikes, IIROTR!
My IIROTR Goes to Pirro and Espargaro.
I also think Crutchlow must crash in quali more often judging by the fact that he has had 2 quali crashes in the last 2 races and still got on the podium in both those races
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

roblomas52 wrote:I also think Crutchlow must crash in quali more often judging by the fact that he has had 2 quali crashes in the last 2 races and still got on the podium in both those races

I think Poncharal punches him if he doesn't crash, so he somewhat loosens up mentally :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

roblomas52 wrote:Also Carlos, you mentioned IIDOTR but since this is bikes, IIROTR!

True. We could also try to come up with a different metaphor. Maybe go beyond Douglas Adams? Has anyone got a suitable Pratchett expression?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Bradley Smith on his twitter:
"This is the state of my finger."
https://twitter.com/BradleySmith38/stat ... 08/photo/1

Warning. If you don't like the sight of gore, do not click.

What a trooper Herr Smith is, to finish the weekend/race. Image
-*:-
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

So here's some good news: according to Soup, Pramac Ducati is trying to get Max the Emperor to test their bike. Oh yeah.

When he raced World Superbike, how many years did Max Biaggi secretly pine for a return to MotoGP? Well, on and off, every year, truth be told. Biaggi had several offers to return to GP racing but wining races and titles in WSBK always won out. Now it sounds as if the Roman Emperor will at least test the Ducati MotoGP bike.

Biaggi retired from racing after winning the 2012 WSBK title.

With American Ben Spies on the injured list and unable to race for the foreseeable future, Ducati has begun talks with Biaggi for him to test Spies' Pramac Ducati. Reportedly there are no plans for Biaggi to race the Pramac Ducati at this time but he will join the team for a test at Mugello.

One of the highlights of Mugello was Lorenzo proving he's learned how to play the mind games he used to suffer from the guy on the other side of the wall. He invited Max over to the Yamaha pits, had him sit there during practices, qualy and race, and said Max was his idol as a rider. Game, set and match. :D

I have missed Max all these years very much and would like to see him back for just one race. I wish they gave him a wild card ride in Brno, it'd be an appropriate send off to a great Champion.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Jocke1 wrote:Bradley Smith on his twitter:
"This is the state of my finger."
https://twitter.com/BradleySmith38/stat ... 08/photo/1

Warning. If you don't like the sight of gore, do not click.

What a trooper Herr Smith is, to finish the weekend/race. Image

Fair play to him! Does not look a pretty sight
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

The thing about Biaggi that impresses me the most, is not his four 250cc titles or numerous 500/GP wins, but how he has kept the same facial hair for 15+ years! Never deviating from the norm, always trimmed to perfection.
Seriously, I can't ever remember seeing him looking any different than this

And that is dedication. I would never have the discipline. Think about it, you would need to trim it down every other day or so, and he has done it for 15+ years. That's thousands of times. :shock:
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote: Fair play to him! Does not look a pretty sight

If it could only happen to Vettel's finger any time soon. :?
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jocke1 wrote:The thing about Biaggi that impresses me the most, is not his four 250cc titles or numerous 500/GP wins, but how he has kept the same facial hair for 15+ years! Never deviating from the norm, always trimmed to perfection.

And that is dedication. I would never have the discipline. Think about it, you would need to trim it down every other day or so, and he has done it for 15+ years. That's thousands of times. :shock:

That's dedication to a way of life. It's one of the things that us, the bearded fellowship, thank him for.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
takagi_for_the_win

Jocke1 wrote:The thing about Biaggi that impresses me the most, is not his four 250cc titles or numerous 500/GP wins, but how he has kept the same facial hair for 15+ years! Never deviating from the norm, always trimmed to perfection.

In all honesty, it would take me 15 years to grow that in the first place
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CarlosFerreira wrote: That's dedication to a way of life. It's one of the things that us, the bearded fellowship, thank him for.

I go for one of two options, either I let it all grow or I get rid of it all. No in between, no trimming creating patterns like Biaggi. Too lazy and unimaginative for that. :)
takagi_for_the_win

Jocke1 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote: That's dedication to a way of life. It's one of the things that us, the bearded fellowship, thank him for.

I go for one of two options, either I let it all grow or I get rid of it all. No in between, no trimming creating patterns like Biaggi. Too lazy and unimaginative for that. :)

I try and let it grow, but all I end up getting is bushy mutton chops, Bradley Wiggins styleee
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

I try and let it grow, but all I end up getting is bushy mutton chops, Bradley Wiggins styleee

My parents always say i look like Sir Brad because i have very long side burns. Have to shave it every week though. I could be the best bet to rival Mr Biaggi's facial hair
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Away from the facial hair, I have to say, Max never impressed me that much. He spent many years trying to get that Yamaha to a championship, then Rossi hops on it and wins straight out. He was never that great on the Repsol Honda either.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

AndreaModa wrote:Away from the facial hair, I have to say, Max never impressed me that much. He spent many years trying to get that Yamaha to a championship, then Rossi hops on it and wins straight out. He was never that great on the Repsol Honda either.

That is true. Honda gave him Kanemoto and they could only make 6th in the Championship, I think. In a way, it was the end of both Max AND Erv's legend. It was a litany of lost opportunities.

I have often wondered how Max would have gotten along with the modern bikes. He seemed to do all right in the Superbikes, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I would really like to see him have a proper send-off, in a red Ducati. In Brno. Probably won't happen, but hey - it'd be cool to see.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Away from the facial hair, I have to say, Max never impressed me that much. He spent many years trying to get that Yamaha to a championship, then Rossi hops on it and wins straight out. He was never that great on the Repsol Honda either.

That is true. Honda gave him Kanemoto and they could only make 6th in the Championship, I think. In a way, it was the end of both Max AND Erv's legend. It was a litany of lost opportunities.

I have often wondered how Max would have gotten along with the modern bikes. He seemed to do all right in the Superbikes, which was a bit of a surprise to me. I would really like to see him have a proper send-off, in a red Ducati. In Brno. Probably won't happen, but hey - it'd be cool to see.

I agree with that. I think Max would have suited the Ducati structure, whether he'd have been successful had he stuck around for longer is a moot point I guess, but it would have been nice to see, much in the same way Capirossi went to Ducati and brought his career to an end with them.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

It's official, Max's test has been confirmed. Starting tomorrow.

You have to say, Pramac Ducati have been having a torrid time. Spies' shoulder is still not good - they've substituted his shoulder tendons with cadaver tissue, and in Mugello he withdrew because he simply had no strength to manoeuvre or stop the bike - and Iannone is carrying more stitches and bruises than a middle-ranking bad guy in a Van Damme film. Pirro has been great, and alternating between the lab bike and the Pramac spec has probably helped Ducati to be honest, but Pramac's score has suffered quite a bit. Maybe this will help raise some spirits in the team.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

That's great to see. +1, Jocke.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

About "hate", as seen in a couple of tirades some posts ago: here's a little something on Lorenzo and Pedrosa.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Biaggi's First Day Of Ducati Testing: A Lot To Learn After Seven Years Away
http://motomatters.com/news/2013/06/06/ ... g_a_l.html
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Here's an interesting analysis of exactly how much closer to the MotoGP bikes is Espargaro this year.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Wasn't sure where to post this, but Dan Gurney has built an innovative motorcycle called "Alligator":

Gurney Alligator - All American Oddbike
http://www.odd-bike.com/2013/01/gurney- ... dbike.html
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Jocke1 wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this, but Dan Gurney has built an innovative motorcycle called "Alligator":

Gurney Alligator - All American Oddbike
http://www.odd-bike.com/2013/01/gurney- ... dbike.html

An interesting idea. It looks a bit like the love child between a Gold Wing and a toilet. :mrgreen:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

So far this season, Pedrosa looks like forcing me to tuck into a steaming cold slice of humble pie.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Ataxia wrote:So far this season, Pedrosa looks like forcing me to tuck into a steaming cold slice of humble pie.

That was an amazing lap. And Pol Espargaro did a similar thing (>0.6 sec) in Moto2, although you'll struggle to read about it in British motorsports websites...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Just caught the end of the Catalunya round. Lorenzo wins, followed by Pedrosa and Marques, the teammates finishing only a tenth or two apart at the line!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I'm going to stick my neck on the line and say the current version of Motogp is rubbish. It's even worse than the Rossi era. There have only been a small amount of winners since 2006. The grid only has 3 main manufactures and Ducati haven't won since 2010. We always see the same men on the podium and there aren't enough feel good moments like Elias winning in 2006 for example. Sure Marc Marquez is a welcome addition but he's a guy who we know can dominate a race if he gets the chance so we expect him to take Motogp by storm. It's controversial but that's what i think of Motogp at the moment. The only class worth watching is Moto2 as even Moto3 is getting dominated (3 Riders have taken all but 1 podium step so far this season. Moto2 however has seen Rabat become a winner' Luthi has taken a podium only 5 races back from injury and Scott Redding emerge as a future star.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Great MotoGP race. Lorenzo was masterful, Pedrosa showed what defensive riding is, and Marquez kept on being impressive. Perfect race from those three.

My personal awards: Reject of the Race would go, perhaps a little unfairly, to Bautista. Second crash in the first lap in two races, and we're coming to Assen, where he messed Lorenzo up last year. That'll be on his mind. He'd really need a paper bag to hide from the fans if he'd hit Valentino again today. Go on a holiday, mate. Clear your head.

IIROTR for Fingers Smith - great race for him, keeping it on the black top and eventually nicking 6th from Dovi in the last few laps, and for Old Man Edwards, who ran Espargaro really close the whole race, and came home 9th. Awesome showing.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Rossi's thoughts on Bautista:

(Matthew Birt @birtymotogp)
wrote:
“For me the behaviour of Bautista is not very clever. In Mugello he made a mistake and he f*** my home race where it was possible for me to have big pain. But one mistake can happen. He cut the line and I was already there so he didn't see me and unfortunately it can happen. But doing the same in the next race another time with me is very stupid I think. He tried an impossible braking and fortunately I release the brake and go wide. If not we crash together also today.

And it was a useless overtake because I was a lot faster than him. For me when Bautista sees me, Lorenzo and the other top guys he becomes a little bit crazy. Last year with Lorenzo in Assen, in Valencia in 2011 with me and in Mugello with me. It is like he has to demonstrate that he is better than us. What happened today can happen but two races in a row and another time with me is not very clever.”
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Totally off-topic, but has Spain been having a drought? It seems the rubber laid down by the F1 show is still there in the chicane and the newer turn 10.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Good news: It's official; Suzuki are coming back
Bad news: It won't be until 2015
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.