The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CarlosFerreira

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:Good news: It's official; Suzuki are coming back
Bad news: It won't be until 2015

Well, that's good news. I hope they actually put some effort into it, instead of just hiring a rider to crash their bike for a couple of years.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

MotoGP™ World Champion Jorge Lorenzo has been forced to
miss Saturday’s Iveco TT Assen because of a broken left collarbone.
The Yamaha Factory Racing rider picked up the injury after
suffering a high-speed crash in Thursday afternoon practice.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/lore ... e+fracture
-*:-
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Well, Pedrosa will finally get his championship, if Marquez doesn't start beating him on the reg.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Rossi shows his class at 1:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DmBUFT9CA
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Crutchlow takes his maiden pole. Music to the BBC's ears. I wanted a Maiden Bradl Ploe
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I knew Crutchlow was something special, but I don't think he has won a race yet. Best of luck to him!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

FP3 :o

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:FP3 :o

I think Marquez fractured something, I don't know what though.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Samster

Post by Samster »

F1000X wrote:Well, Pedrosa will finally get his championship, if Marquez doesn't start beating him on the reg.

In before Pedrosa injures himself and hands the title race back to Lorenzo. 8-) He always does when ether he looks like he might win a title.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Samster wrote:
F1000X wrote:Well, Pedrosa will finally get his championship, if Marquez doesn't start beating him on the reg.

In before Pedrosa injures himself and hands the title race back to Lorenzo. 8-) He always does when ether he looks like he might win a title.

Hahaha. Lorenzo was like NAHBRO and came away with 5th today. Amazing. Great race.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Great race for Lorenzo. IIROTR for him, as he has a broken collarbone. Ouch...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Valentino is back!!!!

I still don't know how Lorenzo managed to race in time today :shock:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Valentino is back!!!!

I don't know how he persuaded the organisers to let him race today :shock:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Samster

Post by Samster »

go_Rubens wrote:Great race for Lorenzo. IIROTR for him, as he has a broken collarbone. Ouch...

And only two points lost to Pedrosa. Honorable mention to Aleix Espargaro. 8th and right behind Bautista after running as high as 7th.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And now, Espargaro kicked both Ducatis' ass, as well as Smith's.
He's extracting 110% out of his bike, he will go down as the Kubica '10 of MotoGP '13. Unbelievable...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Rossi wins again and sets the fastest lap - ImageImage
Lorenzo - Image
mario

Post by mario »

roblomas52 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:Valentino is back!!!!

I don't know how he persuaded the organisers to let him race today :shock:

I find it remarkable that he managed to get through the fitness tests, the warm up session and the race itself despite his injuries and the considerable pain he was in (to the point where he was so doubled up in pain that he found it difficult to get off the bike at the end of the race).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

With Lorenzo's situation, I think this shows that Dani Pedrosa clearly does not have the mental strength to win the MotoGP title. Does he expect the title to be handed to him on a plate?

Instead of maximising the opportunity he plods round and finishes off the podium unable to match his teammate, whilst Lorenzo pushes himself to the limit to try and stay in contention.

You just know if Dani had had a crash like Jorge he would have stayed at home for a month ...
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

madmark1974 wrote:With Lorenzo's situation, I think this shows that Dani Pedrosa clearly does not have the mental strength to win the MotoGP title.

He's basically this guy.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:With Lorenzo's situation, I think this shows that Dani Pedrosa clearly does not have the mental strength to win the MotoGP title.

He's basically this guy.

Yup.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:

He's basically this guy.

Yup.

Pedrosa lacks the will power to win a championship.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Glad to see The Doctor came back :) . Also great one from Lorenzo to finish 5th after an injury.
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Meanwhile, motogp.com commentator Gavin Emmett tweeted perhaps the best quote of the day which had come from Lorenzo himself, ‘Interviewer, "You're a hero". JL99 "No, heroes are those who work hard just to reach the end of each month. I get paid to do these things."’

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Glob ... en+weekend
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Jocke1 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Yup.

Maybe Pedrosa should see The Doctor about that
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

johnnyCarwash wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

Maybe Pedrosa should see The Doctor about that

He was on his way, he had an appointment. Unfortunately he got caught in a Texas tornado and had to cancel.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

COUNTDOWN: 01days, 11hours, 57minutes, 27seconds to eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland at Sachsenring.

Rossi: Longest-serving premier class winner
9 July 2013
Valentino Rossi’s historic victory at Assen was not only his 80th in the premier class of MotoGP™. The nine-time champion has now also established a new record in terms of being a winning rider in the series.
With his first top class win having come in the 500 Grand Prix of Great Britain at Donington Park in 2000, Rossi’s 2013 victory in the Dutch TT came 12 years and 355 days later. This beats the previous record held by Brazil’s Alex Barros (11 years and 204 days) and pushes Phil Read down to third place (11 years and 16 days).

‘The Doctor’ could still set the same record when considering all categories. Rossi’s current win span is 16 years and 345 days; if he wins at Sepang this year, he will beat Loris Capirossi’s 17 years and 49 days. Rossi’s first ever win came in the 125 Czech Grand Prix at Brno in 1996.

July 9
Exclusive Q&A with Jorge Lorenzo, Man of Steel

http://raceofchampions.com/pages/common ... px?pg=7672
mario

Post by mario »

Having put in so much effort in Assen to return to the track after his broken collarbone, it looks like Lorenzo has run out of luck this time at the Sachsenring. After falling off his bike again at high speed and landing on the same left shoulder he injured in Assen, it has been confirmed that he will need further surgery to repair the plate holding his collarbone together after it was bent out of shape in his crash. It therefore means that Lorenzo will not be competing in Germany, and may also miss the next race in Laguna Seca depending on how his operation and recovery goes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23290695
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And this is Pedrosa's chance to open the gap up, but I have a suspicion that Marquez is going to make better use of Lorenzo's crash, after all, he's only 23 points behind Pedrosa and 14 behind Lorenzo.
Also, Bradl on his home soil might be a surprise in the race - I'm not saying he's going to win, but a top 5 result is definitely on the cards for him.

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Possible setup for an F1 2007 WDC style finish. Rossi or Lorenzo comes from behind to take the title, while Marquez ruins Pedrosa's life.

Here's to hoping Marquez takes it. :D
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

“For sure, he is not going to come back here,” Team Director Massimo Meregalli told motogp.com. “He should be operated on tomorrow morning and then he will inform us, probably on Sunday morning, whether he will be back at Laguna – because at the moment it doesn’t look like he will be.”

“I have decided to go home and recover after today's crash at the Sachsenring,” Lorenzo is quoted as saying in a team press release. “I prefer to focus on surgery to fix the plate that was unfortunately bent during the crash. I will try to recover and be back as soon as possible.”

My channels commentators mentioned that Rossi's Assen win gave him career point number 4646!
And that it was 46 races since his last win!

:shock: weird s*it
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

owww, Pedrosa just went down hard right now in FP3 :o
mario

Post by mario »

Jocke1 wrote:owww, Pedrosa just went down hard right now in FP3 :o

It was a pretty nasty accident, but the good news is that the preliminary medical checks suggest that Pedrosa has not broken anything (although more thorough checks are being carried out ahead of the final session). http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23298569
[EDIT] However, it now looks as if Pedrosa, although not suffering any fractures, has been ruled out of the qualifying session (according to Autosport), although may still be fit enough to take part in the race.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

mario wrote:[EDIT] However, it now looks as if Pedrosa, although not suffering any fractures, has been ruled out of the qualifying session (according to Autosport), although may still be fit enough to take part in the race.

And now that I sort of jinxed him, watch how I talk about Marquez, only to see him drop off too... but if Pedrosa can't start, Marquez can easily cut his gap to his rivals, which would ultimately help him.

mario

Post by mario »

Shizuka wrote:
mario wrote:[EDIT] However, it now looks as if Pedrosa, although not suffering any fractures, has been ruled out of the qualifying session (according to Autosport), although may still be fit enough to take part in the race.

And now that I sort of jinxed him, watch how I talk about Marquez, only to see him drop off too... but if Pedrosa can't start, Marquez can easily cut his gap to his rivals, which would ultimately help him.

At the moment, it is slightly unclear whether he will be starting tomorrow - his manager has confirmed that a more detailed examination has shown that Pedrosa's collarbone was fractured in his crash. It looks like he wants to race tomorrow if he can but, if he is in too much discomfort, he may also have to pull out of the race too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23298569

As you say, the biggest potential beneficiary of this is Marquez - even if Pedrosa can race tomorrow, he is not going to be able to ride at his maximum pace and Marquez could take a chunk out of both his and Lorenzo's advantage over him in the championship. There is a suggestion that Lorenzo might miss the next round in Laguna Seca as well - his manager hinted that he might also skip that round in order to regain his full fitness if Pedrosa is out of this race - which could move things even further in his direction.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

MotoGP
Bad news this morning - andreaiannone29 is unfit to race at eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland after dislocating right shoulder yesterday

Jorge Lorenzo: I’ll miss the US MotoGP
http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/193493 ... otogp.html

There was much talk this evening of why there were so many crashes at the Sachsenring. One senior journalist asked most riders whether they thought it was the fault of the track that riders were crashing, and whether the fast right hander at Turn 11 should be slowed down. No, was the general consensus of riders. Yes, that corner could be dangerous, and yes, it is fast, but nobody really wants to see that corner altered. Apart from the topography of the surrounding area, making it almost impossible to reconfigure Turn 11, the corner itself is beloved, despite the many injuries which have been caused there. The turn is fast, and it is difficult, and getting it just right is one of the great pleasures of motorcycle racing.

A quicker fix, most people said, was to have an asymmetric front tire, to go with the asymmetric rear. This would give more grip in the right handers, the riders opined, and allow the Bridgestone tires to warm up quickly enough on the unused right side. Bridgestone are reluctant. Their asymmetric tires have different compounds on the left and right side. Rider feedback with asymmetric front tires in the past was not positive, all the riders complaining of a weird front end feel with different compounds on different sides. This creates a vagueness which the test riders were able to feel, and which they were not at all comfortable with.

Some riders had already used a Michelin dual compound tire, which they praised after all the crashes. That Michelin had the same compound on each side, plus a harder section in the middle, but this made for a much more stable construction. That in turn generated positive feedback for the riders, but it didn't solve the problem of tracks with lots of corners going in the same direction.

Will Bridgestone bring an asymmetric front to Laguna Seca and Indianapolis? It is highly unlikely. The Japanese tyre factory has no plan to build an asymmetric tire, and they will hold off as long possible. They do not see the positives in a change with others have ready rejected.

Sadly, that means more highsides, especially around contract time. Riders out of contract push a little extra hard to get noticed, Nicky Hayden commented, and the factor of trying to score as many points as possible to impress potential employers is enticing riders in all three classes to take just a little bit more risk than usual.

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/201 ... drosa.html
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Moto3 has become so boring. It's turned into a SALOMRINSVINALESPODIUMLOL fest. This could probably be a Alternative Championship.

In Motogp news this is a big story in the title race

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108774

Moto2 IIROTR just has to be Jordi Torres for doing a Maldonado a la Spain 2012

ROTR goes to his team-mate Nico Terol for being crap all weekend because he had no answer to Torres at all
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

And Marquez has pulled in the victory, which propelled him to first place in the championship. Mission completed for him. Crutchlow has had a great race finishing second, and he's still 4th - not bad, to be honest. Rossi should have finished at least second, if he wants to be champion again - cutting 37 points in ten races won't be an easy job. Bradl with a stable 4th is alright.
And then, there's Espargaro. It's like he's not recognizing his bike as a CRT, now he finished right between the two factory Ducatis. He's also a superb 10th in the championship, but Smith might jump him.

It was a good race, but a very crucial one in the championship battle too. I just wish Laguna Seca won't give another injury this year.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Just watched the race today, Marquez did a very professional job. Everything else was same old; watching Crutchlow just fall short due to his equipment is getting painful now, Espargaro is a legend, and Rossi back to his normal status these days of mere mortal.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Shizuka wrote:And Marquez has pulled in the victory, which propelled him to first place in the championship. Mission completed for him....

...And then, there's Espargaro. It's like he's not recognizing his bike as a CRT, now he finished right between the two factory Ducatis.

You can't help but be pleased when somebody capitalizes on a grand stroke of luck exactly the way they should. His win was certainly not a given, given both Crutchlow and Rossi's recent form.

Espargaro really is a boss. At the same time, him giving the Ducati's a run for their money has as much to do with his brilliance as it does with those bikes being pieces of sh*t.
mario

Post by mario »

F1000X wrote:
Shizuka wrote:And Marquez has pulled in the victory, which propelled him to first place in the championship. Mission completed for him....

...And then, there's Espargaro. It's like he's not recognizing his bike as a CRT, now he finished right between the two factory Ducatis.

You can't help but be pleased when somebody capitalizes on a grand stroke of luck exactly the way they should. His win was certainly not a given, given both Crutchlow and Rossi's recent form.

Espargaro really is a boss. At the same time, him giving the Ducati's a run for their money has as much to do with his brilliance as it does with those bikes being pieces of sh*t.

It was impressive to see how quick Espargaro was - it was only the power of the Ducati that kept it ahead, since, in the second and third sectors (which favoured cornering speed and handling over raw power), Espargaro was one of the quickest riders out there and was visibly being held up.