Possible new look

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
mediocre

Possible new look

Post by mediocre »

Hi,

During the last couple of weeks I had a little free time and decided to make a concept about how a "new" F1 Rejects website might look like.
Admittedly, the current one is fairly outdated from the technical point of view. :?

Tell me what you think. :) Note the color scheme that I took from the old TV overlays.

Image Image Image Image
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Possible new look

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wow, this is really impressive. I do love the current layout but if that became the new one, I wouldn't object.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I do actually really like that
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This is actually kind of similar to what I was construcing for UnracedF1.com.

The designer half of me thinks the current website looks horribly outdated and needs a referesh. However, the F1 Reject in me kind of thinks the layout is appropriate. It's rejectful, just like the drivers and teams it represents :D

I mean, by 1999 standards it was probably pretty decent, and it'll be looked upon the same way we hark back to the days of the Pacific Grand Prix website.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Just keep things with the old school retro Rejects look. F1 Rejects needs to become a heritage website! :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

mediocre, I just want to say thanks for approaching us with the new layouts you've been working on - thanks for the effort. I have passed your email on to Jamie.

We haven't forgotten, it's just that we're both rather busy at the moment (me in particular).

Glad to see you've posted the layouts here as well so we can get other people's comments!
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

As long as the "Made with a Mac" logo goes away, almost anything is fine by me! :lol:
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

RealRacingRoots wrote:As long as the "Made with a Mac" logo goes away, almost anything is fine by me! :lol:

Yeah, same here. :lol:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

eytl wrote:mediocre, I just want to say thanks for approaching us with the new layouts you've been working on - thanks for the effort. I have passed your email on to Jamie.

We haven't forgotten, it's just that we're both rather busy at the moment (me in particular).

Glad to see you've posted the layouts here as well so we can get other people's comments!

Speaking of which, did Jamie ever get my email about being able to sticky threads? I sent it on 23rd April but never got any reply whatsoever. Although I do understand that both of you have been very busy lately.

As for the new layout, yup I definitely like it! I'd definitely support it becoming the new f1Rejects website layout, even though I personally don't hate the current one either. :)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Nuppiz wrote:
eytl wrote:mediocre, I just want to say thanks for approaching us with the new layouts you've been working on - thanks for the effort. I have passed your email on to Jamie.

Speaking of which, did Jamie ever get my email about being able to sticky threads? I sent it on 23rd April but never got any reply whatsoever. Although I do understand that both of you have been very busy lately.

I also recall sending an email about changing my username, although I understand that's far from the highest priority...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This wrote:Just keep things with the old school retro Rejects look. F1 Rejects needs to become a heritage website! :D

Yeah, mediocres efforts are really good, far from mediocre, but this site is fine as it is to me.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

I have to say that, whilst there is a part of me that would probably miss the old layout due to its familiarity, I do like the look of the new layout that you've proposed - it looks simple without being too stripped back, but neat and functional, and the overall layout looks like it would make the site clearer and easier to use.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to see it goes down well. I do also understand the guys who say the old layout should remain, though. :)

Enoch, no hurry, mate. I'm pretty busy myself.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

This looks really good. Good work, mediocre!

However, I do agree with Stramala that the current layout suits the site better because it is rejectful!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Brilliant work mediocre! Lovely design, retains all the functionality and clarity while bringing the website into the 21st century :lol: big thumbs up from me
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

It's just a purely personal thing but I do find reading white text on a black or dark background quite difficult to read. After a short while I need to take a break.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

DG
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Divina_Galica wrote:It's just a purely personal thing but I do find reading white text on a black or dark background quite difficult to read. After a short while I need to take a break.

DG

I don't have a problem until I go back to a site with black-on-white and my eyes burn from all the light.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Divina_Galica wrote:It's just a purely personal thing but I do find reading white text on a black or dark background quite difficult to read. After a short while I need to take a break.

DG

I don't have a problem until I go back to a site with black-on-white and my eyes burn from all the light.

I can sit at a computer screen with black-on-white text for two hours. Any more and my eyes go bloodshot red and I get a pretty severe headache. At least having a smaller screen with an iPad helps a little bit.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

http://youtu.be/1TtGQnyPZ6g

To be serious, I wouldn't like to see a change.
-*:-
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

If the layout has to be changed, then I think this is a good option. It keeps a continuity with the current one, with the black background, which is always nice.

A small criticism: in the final caption there's far too much black space in both sides of the text. It looks pretty much like the current structure, unlike the other three pictures, which make a good use of today's wide screens. In fact, the main problem I have with the current design is that it was clearly designed with the old, 4:3 screens in mind. I don't mind the lack of flashy crap or lots of pictures in the main page.

Finally, I think it would be a good idea to save a copy of the current site so that any nostalgics like me can always visit it, in all its glory.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ferrim wrote:If the layout has to be changed, then I think this is a good option. It keeps a continuity with the current one, with the black background, which is always nice.

A small criticism: in the final caption there's far too much black space in both sides of the text. It looks pretty much like the current structure, unlike the other three pictures, which make a good use of today's wide screens. In fact, the main problem I have with the current design is that it was clearly designed with the old, 4:3 screens in mind. I don't mind the lack of flashy crap or lots of pictures in the main page.

Finally, I think it would be a good idea to save a copy of the current site so that any nostalgics like me can always visit it, in all its glory.

You could just use the Wayback machine..
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ferrim wrote:Finally, I think it would be a good idea to save a copy of the current site so that any nostalgics like me can always visit it, in all its glory.

Wait, wait. If the site layout is changed all the threads will be erased? Or am I misunderstanding?
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Jocke1 wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Finally, I think it would be a good idea to save a copy of the current site so that any nostalgics like me can always visit it, in all its glory.

Wait, wait. If the site layout is changed all the threads will be erased? Or am I misunderstanding?

No, it'd just be the actual site, not the forum, that would change.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

...or, how about we just make minor adjustments to the current site, to make it more 16:9 friendly?

Image Image
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

4:3 or 16:9 or whatever doesn't play a role in web design, it barely affects us. 16:9 means you have a wider screen and must therefore either fill the space, make Text either really big for blind people or keep it in normal lines and make it very long in which case nobody would read it anymore. Plus, a website doesn't adjust itself into the proportions of a screen.

My main motivation to do that redesign was that:
1) the website is still built with tables. That is 10 years old and in no way state of the art. Getting rid of tables could for example mean that the website could be optimizied for handheld devices such as tables or phones.
2) the current one lacks identity in the way that there are no reoccuring elements. I agree however that it's in its own way very iconic. So maybe a compromise would do the job. :)

As for white text on black — my own experience shows that white on black is much more pleasant to read over a long time, such as reading a driver/team biography, even though most sites use black on white (which looks prettier).

But don't get too over exaggerated, guys. It's only a concept I had in mind. Jamie, Enoch and I have never talked to each other about it and nothing will change anytime soon. ;) Keep the feedback coming, though. I appreciate it. :)

Cheers

PS: Nothing will be erased, even if we'd redesign the forum.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

mediocre wrote:Plus, a website doesn't adjust itself into the proportions of a screen.

I'm not sure if you mean something else, because, yes it does! Flexible width layout. 4:3 is narrower so it'll naturally scale everything down where width values are defined by percentage rather than pixels. Of course, if you used fixed-width design, that wouldn't apply.

Image Image
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Jocke1 wrote:http://youtu.be/1TtGQnyPZ6g

To be serious, I wouldn't like to see a change anywhere. Website or forum.

Repeating this. The hand can represent any changes to F1R.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

razta

Post by razta »

Speaking of New looks
I've been busy with my Mercedes Site..

check this out..

http://www.mercmotorsports.com/mf1/