Reverend Maldonado, first driver

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Reverend Maldonado, first driver

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I really hope this thread does not descend into some ghastly poo-throwing contest - but have you heard how Maldonado has started to come up with excuses for being beaten by the team's rookie?

"We have different driving styles, he drives very gently and is very smooth with the car - this is not my way," said Maldonado.

"My way is to put energy into the car and that is how I was very quick last year.

"I feel very slow because I am not in a position to do what I did last year as I am limited by the car."

Maldonado believes the car responds better to a less aggressive driving style and points to the lack of balance between front and rear as he root of his struggles.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand that there is an element of truth in what Pastor is saying. Certainly an unbalanced, difficult car will penalise anyone trying to push beyond the limits and comparatively flatter someone who stays within the dynamic envelope. But Maldonado is being successively beaten by Bottas this season, in both qualifying and race situations. Shouldn't the extra aggressiveness on Maldonado's part be good for better qualifying results at least? And perhaps more importantly, shouldn't a team's first driver be capable of adapting his driving style (within limits) and guiding the team to develop a car? I get the impression Pastor has done neither this year.

Opinions?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Reverend Maldonado, first driver

Post by Ataxia »

I can imagine there's an element of frustration there. Perhaps Pastor feels that if he hadn't had those silly errors last season he'd have done a far more impressive job. As it stands, he probably intended to make things right this season, but it just hasn't happened.

Chances are he's a bit demotivated, and because it's the first season where he's the "lead" driver in a below-par car...he's not quite got the experience on how to turn it around.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CarlosFerreira wrote:"My way is to put energy into the car and that is how I was very quick last year."

-*:-
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:"My way is to put energy into the car and that is how I was very quick last year."

Jocke, you legend!

Ataxia wrote:I can imagine there's an element of frustration there. Perhaps Pastor feels that if he hadn't had those silly errors last season he'd have done a far more impressive job. As it stands, he probably intended to make things right this season, but it just hasn't happened.

Chances are he's a bit demotivated, and because it's the first season where he's the "lead" driver in a below-par car...he's not quite got the experience on how to turn it around.

I agree with this because last year, he was fairly messy and this year he's tried to correct it, but he got ROTR in Melbourne for a rookie error, he went off in Malaysia, got chased down by Bianchi in China, anonymous in Bahrain, nowhere in Spain, taken out by Chilton in Monaco, and crashed into people in Canada. Yeah, his year has been pretty awful so far.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

[quote="go_Rubens"I agree with this because last year, he was fairly messy and this year he's tried to correct it, but he got ROTR in Melbourne for a rookie error, he went off in Malaysia, got chased down by Bianchi in China, anonymous in Bahrain, nowhere in Spain, taken out by Chilton in Monaco, and crashed into people in Canada. Yeah, his year has been pretty awful so far.[/quote]

Well, after the giddying heights of last year, I think 2013 is where Pastor comes back to earth with a return to his overdriving self and having a crap car, not to mention being edged by rookie teammate Bottas in terms of speed and reliability.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I agree with this because last year, he was fairly messy and this year he's tried to correct it, but he got ROTR in Melbourne for a rookie error, he went off in Malaysia, got chased down by Bianchi in China, anonymous in Bahrain, nowhere in Spain, taken out by Chilton in Monaco, and crashed into people in Canada. Yeah, his year has been pretty awful so far.

Well, after the giddying heights of last year, I think 2013 is where Pastor comes back to earth with a return to his overdriving self and having a crap car, not to mention being edged by rookie teammate Bottas in terms of speed and reliability.

He claimed that the car in Melbourne was undrivable :lol:

But he has been overdriving that car quite a bit, and Valterri beats him with his smoother driving style.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Ataxia wrote:I can imagine there's an element of frustration there. Perhaps Pastor feels that if he hadn't had those silly errors last season he'd have done a far more impressive job. As it stands, he probably intended to make things right this season, but it just hasn't happened.

That is the exact problem.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!