The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
roblo97

Re: The Marco Simoncelli MotoGP Thread

Post by roblo97 »

IIRC Espargaro has won all the CRT races this season
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Well this isn't good

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108858

Well it's not good for Hayden, not sure if it's ~that bad~ for Ducati, I make it 7 - 1 for Dovi in finishing ahead of Nicky this season (ok so Nicky has not finished in a couple of those), and he's probably still adjusting to the bike.
Does Hayden have the motivation any more? I know Ducati are constantly pushing and saying the results are not good enough, but is Dovi the one who is helping with this push more than Nicky? After all, Dovi has recent(ish)
experience on both Yamaha and Honda so will be able to use that knowledge to help develop the Duke in a better direction - although the bike seems pretty much a lost cause anyway.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I think in all honesty that Ducati have got it right with this. Nicky Hayden has been a loyal servant but he hasn't pushed the team forward and in Dovizioso they probably have the best (or at least the most reliable) rider they've had since Stoner. This is good news for Crutchlow as well, if Tech 3 make the mad decision to get rid of him for Pol Espargaro then at least he's got Ducati to run to. It's a real shame that there are only 4 bikes on the grid this year capable of winning GPs when there are so many potential race winners on the grid.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

watka wrote:I think in all honesty that Ducati have got it right with this. Nicky Hayden has been a loyal servant but he hasn't pushed the team forward and in Dovizioso they probably have the best (or at least the most reliable) rider they've had since Stoner. This is good news for Crutchlow as well, if Tech 3 make the mad decision to get rid of him for Pol Espargaro then at least he's got Ducati to run to. It's a real shame that there are only 4 bikes on the grid this year capable of winning GPs when there are so many potential race winners on the grid.

Why Tech 3 would dump Crutchlow and keep Smith is completely beyond me
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

This has been on the cards for a while.
One unofficial source said a few weeks ago that Hayden will, most likely, try WSBK in 2014.

It wouldn't be far-fetched, either. Following recent footsteps of Laconi, Biaggi, Barros, Melandri, Checa, Haga etc etc...
Could be interesting.
-*:-
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Two satellite Hondas on the front row with Bradl on pole? Certainly didn't expect that.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Bradl leads at the halfway-point. And who is de Angelis?

Marquez has just passed Bradl for the lead so the near Spanish-trio-poly is set to continue.

And MARQUEZWINSLOL. The only race not won by a Spaniard so far this year is Rossi in Assen.

Bradl gets his first podium in MotoGP.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Moment of the race has to be Marquez doing a Zanardi on Rossi at the corkscrew. That sort of move wins championships, he's got a very good chance.

Bradl was very impressive, which is bad news for Crutchlow because supposedly its between those two as to who get the LCR Honda next season. Mind you, Laguna Seca has a reputation for throwing up odd results so I doubt Bradl beating Crutchlow will become a trend.

Good_ralf, Alex de Angelis was riding as a sub for Michele Pirro. He's ridden for in MotoGP (graduated at around the same time as Lorenzo & Dovizioso) before for Gresini and actually did pretty well.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Marc Marquez can seemingly do no wrong can he? He has a midas touch that's put Adrian Newey to shame. I fear that if he wins world titles early then he'll just give up with nothing left but records to break.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Having been cross at Rossi since 2008's pass outside Stoner into the Corkscrew, I was actually very happy to see Marquez pull the John Deere move yesterday. However, I hope Marc takes the chill pill during the holidays before he oversteps the line as he did in Moto2, but there's no doubt that Pedrosa and Lorenzo will be more than a little concerned today.

About Crutchlow: I have been very impressed by him since the second half of last year, but does anyone else get the impression that, despite being stupidly fast, he may not be absolute best rider out there in wheel-to-wheel racing? He just seems to find it hard to pass anyone, and we've seen quite a few errors when he gets pressure from behind. Just a thought. What do people think?

Spare a thought for the battle between Hayden and Dovi. Dovi is the exact opposite of Crutchlow, he isn't the fastest guy out there but he is really good in fighting for position, hanging in there and braking two meter after everyone else.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Just to show Ducati's fall from grace Valentino Rossi has scored more Wins and Podiums this year than 2011 and 2012 combined
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Just to show Ducati's fall from grace Valentino Rossi has scored more Wins and Podiums this year than 2011 and 2012 combined

True - and history might one day be written about how much hiring Rossi contributed to Ducati's downfall.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Stoner's coming back to test for Honda

Triple 8, can you please give the works Dunlop Series drive to Jack Perkins ASAP?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:Stoner's coming back to test for Honda

Triple 8, can you please give the works Dunlop Series drive to Jack Perkins ASAP?

There's talk that he might get a wild card ride in 2013. It would be incredible to have Stoner, Marquez and a recovered Lorenzo all racing each other. :o
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
andrew

Post by andrew »

We have this from the Laguna runner up http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/193823 ... tract.html. Maybe he should get a contract with Suzuki along with Cal or Bautista

On a sadder note during the world superstock race at a wet Moscow raceway at the WSBK weekend Go11 Kawasaki Andrea Atonelli fell off on the back straight and was collected by the unsighted Lorenzo Zanetti, at 2:30pm Andrea passed away in Moscow

RIP Andrea Antonelli 1988-2013
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

andrew wrote:We have this from the Laguna runner up http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/193823 ... tract.html. Maybe he should get a contract with Suzuki along with Cal or Bautista

On a sadder note during the world superstock race at a wet Moscow raceway at the WSBK weekend Go11 Kawasaki Andrea Atonelli fell off on the back straight and was collected by the unsighted Lorenzo Zanetti, at 2:30pm Andrea passed away in Moscow

RIP Andrea Antonelli 1988-2013

RIP
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Go11 Kawasaki released this statement

Goodbye Andrea

“You made us dream, we did have fun and you made us become one of the top teams in Supersport, but this did not give you the glory you deserve.

“Now 'He' wanted you up there amongst the clouds. We will ride here, mere mortals, and we will continue in your memory and in your passion.

“Andrea, you were a great rider and a golden boy, one day we meet in heaven we will hug you again.

“Do not forget, we know you will see us from up there ... Give us the strength to continue.”
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

A horrible reminder of just how dangerous motorcycling racing is, nothing you can do to prevent that sort of incident. RIP Andrea
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

watka wrote:A horrible reminder of just how dangerous motorcycling racing is, nothing you can do to prevent that sort of incident. RIP Andrea

In modern motorcycle racing, the most dangerous thing to happen. Craig Jones, Shoya Tomizawa, Marco Simoncelli and Andrea Antonelli all died in similar kind of accident.
RonDenisDeletraz

Bleu wrote:
watka wrote:A horrible reminder of just how dangerous motorcycling racing is, nothing you can do to prevent that sort of incident. RIP Andrea

In modern motorcycle racing, the most dangerous thing to happen. Craig Jones, Shoya Tomizawa, Marco Simoncelli and Andrea Antonelli all died in similar kind of accident.

I thought Craig Jones died having a big highside crash at Paddock Hill
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Crutchlow's future to be decided very soon :

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Crutchlow+decision+expected+before+Indianapolis

DON'T GO TO DUCATI!!!!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

It was nice knowing you Cal.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Well this sucks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/23536326

I guess that it is preferable to the alternative situation - Crutchlow being forced out of MotoGP altogether after Yamaha signed a "letter of intent" with that seems to guarantee Espargaro the seat at Tech 3 that Crutchlow currently occupies. Still, if Ducati are as uncompetitive in 2014 as they are now, it will be a big step downwards for Crutchlow considering the way in which he has been able to pressurise the factory teams on a regular basis this year.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

mario wrote:

I guess that it is preferable to the alternative situation - Crutchlow being forced out of MotoGP altogether after Yamaha signed a "letter of intent" with that seems to guarantee Espargaro the seat at Tech 3 that Crutchlow currently occupies. Still, if Ducati are as uncompetitive in 2014 as they are now, it will be a big step downwards for Crutchlow considering the way in which he has been able to pressurise the factory teams on a regular basis this year.

Wasn't there a rule just passed earlier in the year that allows four riders in factory teams? This signing as a whole seems bizarre in my opinion...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
mario

Post by mario »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:
mario wrote:

Wasn't there a rule just passed earlier in the year that allows four riders in factory teams? This signing as a whole seems bizarre in my opinion...

Yes, it is true that the FIM intends to open up the regulations to allow the factory teams to pick four riders, but the indication is that Yamaha were not planning on providing Crutchlow with factory support. It seems that the most they were prepared to offer was a position in their satellite team, Tech 3, but even that prospect appeared to fade with the news of Espargaro being lined up for a ride there.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

It's the worst possible move he could have made in my opinion. If I were him, I'd rather stick to a satellite Yamaha or Honda than a Ducati that is fundamentally flawed and going nowhere. Besides, he's now back in the same team as Dovisioso who was largely better than Cal in 2012, so I doubt that's going to help. He'd even be better off going to a top CRT team.

As for the four factory bike rules, I suspect it's just a desperate attempt by silly old Dorna to try and raise the number of prototype bikes on the grid, when we all know full well that Yamaha, and Ducati don't have the money for any more bikes, and Honda probably aren't interested - if they were, they'd have three factory bikes on the grid still.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Please, please, PLEASE Ducati make a decent bike next year.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

AndreaModa wrote:He'd even be better off going to a top CRT team.

He should have made a direct swap with Espargaro.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
RonDenisDeletraz

I just don't understand why Tech 3 seemed to keep Smith over Crutchlow. I had strong doubts over him getting the ride after his Moto2 results and he hasn't really done much to disprove those doubts.

madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

I agree with everyone who has posted after my anti-Ducati plea for Cal. It just makes no sense, especially for a 2 year deal - though I guess Ducati insisted on that.

Rossi is likely on his way out at the end of next year, and Cal will now be unavailable to take up that ride if it does become available, presuming Dovi is on a 2-year deal too, he ~will be~ free to take that ride if offered.

I'm not sure of Pedrosa's deal but that Honda might even be an option soon as well. I can understand Dovi taking the ride - Italian rider on Italian bike, but I'm sure he's already regretting it (well he probably started
to regret it the first time he tested the bike) - let's give Cal the benefit of the doubt and hope that he did have no other choice (as I understand it Bradl and Bautista are not re-signed for next year yet), if he's just
in it for the money then he'll lose a lot of respect, as well as a lot of attention whilst running about at the back end of the top 10 (if things stay the same as this year).

Unless the bike really suits Cal then he will lose repeatedly to Dovi again, or crash trying, it seems such a shame for him to waste the potential that he has been building for the last 2 years.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

I am reasonably happy that Crutchlow has decided to move on and join Ducati.

Ducati's performance this year is not representative. They have decided to renew their structure, got new people and new management in, and are taking a deep breath before attacking next year. The current bike is the difficult platform which Stoner could just about make work, and which Ducati messed with aimlessly and incompetently for years to try to give Valentino a machine to his liking, and failing quite notoriously in the process. But the people involved in those difficult days are now gone and Audi is holding the purse strings now, and will probably be ready to spend to get results. Next year's bike, designed by the people that are now in charge, will be a different kettle of fish, a clean-sheet-of-paper exercise. I personally expect a rocket ship of a bike.

Frankly, the questions are more on Cal than anything else. I've said before, I am impressed by him, but remain somewhat unconvinced that he's the real deal. He is up there with the best in terms of speed and grit, but his racecraft remains inferior to his peers' and I am unsure that he can remain competitive for an entire season without being angry, alienating his team and freaking out. All of this will be exacerbated by the fact that he'll be teaming up with Dovi, who is entirely convinced he has the measure of Crutchlow, and beat him fair and square last season. Dovi may not be MotoGP Championship material in the age of Lorenzo and Marquez, but he is a tough cookie and will provide a good indicator of where Cal is.

Both Ducati and Cal have a lot to prove next season, and it should be really interesting to see.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

http://vimeo.com/71945179

Stoner Motegi test 6-7 August
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

As much of a great champion and exciting rider he is, I'm glad that Stoner left MotoGP. Means that we don't have to endure his whinging any more and we get to see Marquez on a top bike.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

watka wrote:As much of a great champion and exciting rider he is, I'm glad that Stoner left MotoGP. Means that we don't have to endure his whinging any more and we get to see Marquez on a top bike.

You guys can have him back now. We don't want him either.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wizzie wrote:
watka wrote:As much of a great champion and exciting rider he is, I'm glad that Stoner left MotoGP. Means that we don't have to endure his whinging any more and we get to see Marquez on a top bike.

Since the Motogp will be on bt sport from next season…
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Since the Motogp will be on bt sport from next season…

Yeah, that really sucks. I can't imagine their coverage being any good considering the pundits that they have for the football...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Wizzie wrote:

It will go down in history as one of motorsports greatest losses, the years in which Stoner for some reason decided to potter around in the faintly ridiculous diesels they use down under. I still hope he'll come back in 2015. Maybe Yamaha or Ducati will be prepared to write a large cheque.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!