2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by roblo97 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Ataxia wrote:And some people wonder why there's not many women on this forum...

And some people wonder why baker and I are single...

I always thought DNF'ing was not finishing the big event? :lol:

I have been single for 5 years now
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

roblomas52 wrote:

All my life. And that is something I would love to see change. Anyway, that's my situation.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Too many DNFs and you'll be out of a ride.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

LionZoo wrote:Too many DNFs and you'll be out of a ride.

You have to get the ride first

Hope ride has the same slang meaning outside of Ireland. Ah well, if it doesn't Shinji and I can have a private giggle...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

LionZoo wrote:Too many DNFs and you'll be out of a ride.

You have to get the ride first

Hope ride has the same slang meaning outside of Ireland. Ah well, if it doesn't Shinji and I can have a private giggle...

I've never had a ride in my life but I think it would be great craic when I do
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

What have i done :shock: Let's prematurely end this conversation and got back on topic.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

This wrote:What have i done :shock: Let's prematurely end this conversation and got back on topic.

Felipe Nasr for the seat at Williams! (biased)

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

McLaren want Kevin Magnussen to get a F1 ride next year. It seems he would go to Marussia. Considering Marussia have confirmed Ferrari engines and with the McLaren links, they could have a lineup of Bianchi-Magnussen. That would potentially be some team! It could also be the start of a great rivalry if both drivers go on to great things.
Message me on Discord.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This wrote:What have i done :shock: Let's prematurely end this conversation and got back on topic.

The craic was good while it lasted
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shadaza wrote:....

McLaren want Kevin Magnussen to get a F1 ride next year. It seems he would go to Marussia. Considering Marussia have confirmed Ferrari engines and with the McLaren links, they could have a lineup of Bianchi-Magnussen. That would potentially be some team! It could also be the start of a great rivalry if both drivers go on to great things.

I actually see Marussia going with Honda engines the minute Bianchi leaves for another team, so Marussia signing either Magnussen or Vandoorne in the medium-term would make sense.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

good_Ralf wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:And some people wonder why baker and I are single...

All my life. And that is something I would love to see change. Anyway, that's my situation.[/quote]

Only had one girlfriend. (Which I regret a fair bit)
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

German 'Sport Bild' claims that Alonso's management have had extensive talks to Christian Horner on Friday regarding the second Red Bull seat for 2014. I don't know how true it is but to be honest, they were the ones who immediately suggested Schuey might come back as Massa's replacement in 2009. While it's not the most serious of newspapers, they're quite often right. So, Alonso to Red Bull next year?
RonDenisDeletraz

Chances of Alonso leaving Ferrari = about zero
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

mediocre wrote:German 'Sport Bild' claims that Alonso's management have had extensive talks to Christian Horner on Friday regarding the second Red Bull seat for 2014. I don't know how true it is but to be honest, they were the ones who immediately suggested Schuey might come back as Massa's replacement in 2009. While it's not the most serious of newspapers, they're quite often right. So, Alonso to Red Bull next year?

To be honest, I think it could happen. First off, just like Räikkönen/Vettel, Alonso/Vettel would be a dream pairing that would sell cans like they're going out of style. However, I dare to think that Ferrari could be the one massively profiting from this. Ferrari could maybe use this to completely retool the team, maybe change some heads at the top and get a young and hungry driver pairing (maybe Maldonado/Bianchi). I don't think Ferrari the way it is now is going anywhere. Sure, this sounds stupid after they came up just a little bit short in the fight for the WDC last year, but I fear that that was the highest point the Ferrari/Alonso relationship will ever go.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

eurobrun wrote:Chances of Alonso leaving Ferrari = about zero

In the F1 Racing magazine, when Alonso is asked by the public twice about if he will move in the Q&A section, he says "I have said this before, Ferrari will be my last team". Yet Coulthard says "Ferrari must improve or risk losing Alonso", as if Fernando would give up on winning the title.

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

What's wrong with the Silly Season thread getting a bit...silly?

To be honest, I'd rather Alonso stayed at Ferrari. First of all, if you gave him completely equal machinery to Vettel I think he would eventually blow the German (and everyone else for that matter) into the weeds, and we'd be back to the Schumacher era before you know it. I also think Alonso works very well personality wise with Ferrari; i.e. Being clear number one. I don't know how happy Red Bull would be to have to provide total equality between two hugely competitive drivers, both of whom currently enjoy (official or otherwise) number 1 status at their respective teams. Finally, I'd quite like to see Ricciardo at Red Bull, see what the lad can do.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Felipe Nasr to Sauber, surely?

He's the best compromise between talent and money. He has backing from OGX but has appeared reasonably handy in GP2, going toe to toe with Frijns, who clearly doesn't have the financial clout to pay for an F1 drive.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Stramala wrote:Felipe Nasr to Sauber, surely?

He's the best compromise between talent and money. He has backing from OGX but has appeared reasonably handy in GP2, going toe to toe with Frijns, who clearly doesn't have the financial clout to pay for an F1 drive.

And with Banco do Brasil sponsorship, we could have a pretty yellow car...and who wouldn't want that?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It could be possible, but it seems Sauber have more potential drivers than engineers!

If they are forced to run Sirotkin, then competition for team leader would be very fierce.
Message me on Discord.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I think the Hulk will love if Alonso leaves Ferrari. Massa too.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
mario

Post by mario »

mediocre wrote:German 'Sport Bild' claims that Alonso's management have had extensive talks to Christian Horner on Friday regarding the second Red Bull seat for 2014. I don't know how true it is but to be honest, they were the ones who immediately suggested Schuey might come back as Massa's replacement in 2009. While it's not the most serious of newspapers, they're quite often right. So, Alonso to Red Bull next year?

Whilst it does seem that Luis Garcia Abad was indeed present at the Red Bull motorhome this weekend, it looks like Bild's report is the output of an overly excitable journalist who failed to check who else Abad represents.
The latest talk suggests that Abad was looking to discuss Sainz Jr.'s prospects for the future, not Alonso. Sainz Jr. currently drives for Arden - the team founded and run by Christian Horner - in the GP3 series, and the GP3 race this weekend was a supporting race for F1. As part of the Red Bull Young Driver program, the indication is that Abad was talking directly with Horner to try to get Sainz Jr. promoted to Arden's more senior teams in either GP2 or FR3.5, not Alonso to Red Bull.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Alonso and Vettel at Red Bull would result in implosion. Vettel was asked after the race whether he'd rather have Raikkonen or Alonso as a team mate, and he wasn't shy to answer Raikkonen. He said "Kimi is very straight talking with me" so would cause minimum fuss at Red Bull, implying that Alonso might have the opposite effect. Vettel has won the last 3 consecutive championships and it will take something special to stop him taking a 4th. Why should Red Bull threaten that. It's not hard to imagine that Alonso's representatives might have spoken to Horner, but Red Bull would be silly to take Alonso on.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I concur with watka. It makes no sense. You know, I think Räikkönen to Red Bull doesn't make sense, but this one would we worse. Looking at it from Red Bull's point of view, pairing Vettel with a very strong driver is a bad idea. In Webber they have the perfect number two, fast enough to keep Vettel honest but not too much, just like what Barrichello was to Schumacher in the early noughties. Räikkönen would be a threat; Alonso a bigger one, from the sporting point of view (I rate Alonso a bit higher) but particularly off the track. Vettel himself has already said he would prefer Kimi, and he has good reasons to dislike Alonso (the guy always is trying to play games, saying that Seb has got the best car, that he's racing against Newey and so on). For all his brilliance, we all know how difficult a character Alonso can be.

I understand Alonso's management going to ask Red Bull, but I can't understand Red Bull seriously considering it. And, from a Spanish fan perspective, I would absolutely hate a season of Alonso at Red Bull: conspiracy theories about the team favouring Vettel would fly, and all of a sudden Red Bull would go from the worst team in the world to the greatest (the same happened with Ferrari...), at the beginning at least, until the moment that Vettel started beating Alonso.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

IF Alonso does one from Ferrari I wonder If Webber may regret joining a lesser racing series? A one year contract with the scuderia would've been a brilliant swansong. I wonder if he'd consider it?
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

CoopsII wrote:IF Alonso does one from Ferrari I wonder If Webber may regret joining a lesser racing series? A one year contract with the scuderia would've been a brilliant swansong. I wonder if he'd consider it?

Webber could sign to do a few races a la Mansell at Williams in 1994, even if Senna's death contributed to that decision.

RonDenisDeletraz

As I have said before his name is his biggest problem imo

14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

CoopsII wrote:IF Alonso does one from Ferrari I wonder If Webber may regret joining a lesser racing series? A one year contract with the scuderia would've been a brilliant swansong. I wonder if he'd consider it?

I can't remember where I heard it, but Webber at one point said he wouldn't want to move to Ferrari just for one year- he didn't see the point of having to integrate himself within a new team and move to Italy and all the other stuff just for the sake of one year there, especially as it would probably be his last in F1.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Now that Alonso's name has emerged as a possible for the Red Bull seat, I have to say I'm a bit suprised Button's name hasn't been mentioned. After all he coped very well with moving to Hamilton's kingdom in 2010 so don't see any reason why he couldn't cope with going to Vettel's kingdom. Plus of the other proven top drivers, I think he's be the least likely to cause aggro alongside Vettel and be a supportive number 2 if it came to it, and he'd be guaranteed to get loads of constructors points like Webber does now, where as someone like Ricciardo might not.

Only trouble is that would really leave McLaren in the proverbial dog-poo as far as having a top driver is concerned, they'd probably have to take someone like Di Resta or Hulkenberg to partner Perez which would mean their most inexperience driver line-up in donkey's years.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Maybe Vettel wants somebody who can challenge him in the "sister car", because I think he can feel the general mood that he is not being appreciated as much as he could be. If he can beat one of the other stars of the current era in equal machinery it would solidify his legacy, so to say. Constructors trophy is what matters for the team, and a strong teammate would better than a weak one, so there should be no objection from the team. As Hamilton and Button are out of the question it leaves Alonso and Raikkonen so it is only logical that both are considered. That is of course, if Vettel has as much say in these matters as has been claimed.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

With Alonso rumoured to be at Red Bull, if this is true, who in the world can replace him??? And what does this mean for Felipe? If this is all true, I have my doubts Felipe will stay for Ferrari as well, he was there because Alonso liked him.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Alonso to RedBull
Hulk to Ferrari
Nasr and Sirotkin/Frijns to Sauber

I like. I like a lot.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

eurobrun wrote:

Uh, what? Am I missing some history here? Did the Nasr dynasty commit some kind of mass genocide I'm unaware of?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Stramala wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

Uh, what? Am I missing some history here? Did the Nasr dynasty commit some kind of mass genocide I'm unaware of?

I think he's probably referring to the fact "Felipe Nasr" is undeniably similar to "Felipe Massa" when spoken. It might not put teams off per se, but it would create a little confusion in commentary...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Ataxia wrote: I think he's probably referring to the fact "Felipe Nasr" is undeniably similar to "Felipe Massa" when spoken. It might not put teams off per se, but it would create a little confusion in commentary...

Not if they speak the way Buxton says...Felippi Nazir...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Really? Felipe Nasr may never get an F1 drive because his name is similar to Felipe Massa? Really? REALLY?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

AdrianSutil wrote:Really? Felipe Nasr may never get an F1 drive because his name is similar to Felipe Massa? Really? REALLY?

I hope he gets into F1 and does well. I think he is really good even if he is yet to win a GP2 race.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

wsrgo wrote:
Ataxia wrote: I think he's probably referring to the fact "Felipe Nasr" is undeniably similar to "Felipe Massa" when spoken. It might not put teams off per se, but it would create a little confusion in commentary...

I want the next generation to experience Brundle/Blundell confusion.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
wsrgo wrote:

I want the next generation to experience Brundle/Blundell confusion.

In BBC's 1993 Season Preview, Maurice Hamilton pretends to get their names wrong when writing about Ligier

e.g.
Maurice Hamilton wrote:Here's Martin and Bark and, oh never mind... :lol:
Last edited by good_Ralf on 31 Jul 2013, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Samster

Post by Samster »

Kimi has an offer from Ferrari? To replace Alonso?
http://f1fanatic.eu/cikk/ferrari-offers ... am-in-2014

Certainly getting very interesting now. So I'll add my thoughts on the grid for 2014

Red Bull-Renault
Sebastian Vettel (C14)
Daniel Ricciardo
Kimi Raikkonen

Vettel signed a contract through till the end of 2014 back in 2011. The second seat looks like it is between Kimi and Ricciardo with Jean-Eric Vergne supposedly now out of the running. Mark Webber we already know will retire from F1 to join Porches' new LMP1 campaign

Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton (C15)
Nico Rosberg (C14)

No changes expected with both drivers already signed for 2014.

Ferrari
Fernando Alonso (C16)
Felipe Massa
Kimi Raikkonen
Nico Hulkenberg
Jules Bianchi

Alonso is currently signed till 2016 but is rumoured to have fallen out of favour at Maranello following his complaints at the Hungarian GP and his contract could be cut short, similar to Alain Prost back in 1991. As a potential replacement, Kimi Raikkonen has apparently be given an offer to return after his somewhat frosty departure in 2009. As for the second seat, Felipe Massa may get yet another season despite being on borrowed time since 2011, or there's Nico Hulkenberg who has been linked to the team since last season or they could gamble on promoting their longtime protegy, Jules Bianchi.

Lotus-Renault
Kimi Raikkonen
Romain Grosjean
Nico Hulkenberg
Pastor Maldonado
Jean-Eric Vergne
Davide Valsecchi

Alot depends on whether Kimi stays or not. If he leaves then I'd expect Grosjean to be safe for another season even despite his funding issues. Several drivers have been linked to replace either Kimi or Grosjean or both. Hulkenberg has been strongly linked while Vergne has been rumored if Red Bull boot him from their program completely. Maldonado could be brought over for his $$$ or as a long shot Valsecchi could be promoted from his reserve driver role.

Force India-Mercedes
Paul di Resta (C14)
Adrian Sutil
James Calado
Felipe Nasr

Di Resta is already signed for 2014 unless he finds that top line drive he feels he deserves so much. Sutil should be safe with no obvious replacements in line though FI may go for someone with funding. James Calado ran for them at the young drivers test and has been a GP2 front runner for the past two seasons. As is Felipe Nasr who is honestly only on here as my own suggestion but he does have some funding behind him.

McLaren-Mercedes
Jenson Button (C14)
Sergio Perez (C14)

No changes expected with both drivers signed for next season, though I'd put money on Button retiring at the end of the contract if the 2014 McLaren isn't an improvement. The team seem to just be treading water till Honda's return in 2015.

Torro Rosso-Renault
Daniel Ricciardo
Jean-Eric Vergne
Antonio Felix da Costa
Carlos Sainz Jr.
Daniil Kyvat

Alot depends on whether Ricciardo gets promoted to Red Bull or not. Vergne is supposedly now out of the running and could be out of the Red Bull program altogether, especially if Ricciardo remains at Torro Rosso for another season. Antonio Felix da Costa is the natural replacement as the next driver down in the junior program, either for Ricciardo or Vergne or if both leave/gets booted in which case either Sainz Jr. or Kyvat could be promoted despite both of them being still in GP3. Will switch to Renault engines next season to match Red Bull.

Sauber-Ferrari
Esteban Gutierrez
Sergei Sirotkin
Jules Bianchi
Vitaly Petrov
Felipe Massa

Nico Hulkenberg is certainly out after a strained relationship with the team with rumors that the team are behind in paying him. Massa could return here if he is booted from Ferrari though that is less likely now with Sauber's money troubles coming to a head. Russian investors have virtually ensured that Sergei Sirotkin has a seat for 2014 provided he gets a superlicense. He would be the youngest F1 driver of all time. Or Sauber may bring in the more proven Petrov for a year with Sirotkin running free practice sessions. Gutierrez may get to stay for his funding though if Telmex move to McLaren he could be dropped with his rather underwhelming performances so far. Finally Ferrari may pay Sauber to run Jules Bianchi in one of the cars which I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity given their current situation.

Williams-Mercedes
Pastor Maldonado
Valterri Bottas
Felipe Massa
Romain Grosjean
Susie Wolff

Both Malders and Bottas are likely to stay though the former may move to Lotus if they need his $$$. In which case Williams may get a little desperate and promote Susie Wolff from her reserve role, a link that is stronger now thanks to her husband's ties with Mercedes who will supply them engines from next season. Or they may nab a driver that may get booted from a top team, (Grosjean or Massa).

Marussia-Ferrari
Jules Bianchi
Max Chilton
Rodolfo Gonzalez

Will switch to Ferrari engines next season. Ferrari may move Bianchi to Sauber or even Ferrari or they may keep him here and treat Marussia as an unofficial No.2 team. Chilton will likely be kept on for daddy's wallet. If Bianchi moves on then the team may promote the well funded but not well talented Gonzalez from his reserve role after several free practice runs, thus creating the weakest driver pairing since at least when Minardi were still on the grid.

Caterham-Renault
Charles Pic (C14)
Giedo van der Garde
Heikki Kovalainen
Alexander Rossi
Will Stevens

Pic apparently has a two year contract. On the other hand I'd be surprised if van der Garde was kept on. Former driver Kovalainen ran the Bahrain free practice and could return as a race driver if Caterham have the funding for him again. Or one of their junior drivers could be promoted. Both Rossi and Stevens ran the young drivers test.