Unpopular F1 opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
gnrpoison

Re: Unpopular F1 opinions

Post by gnrpoison »

The season should start in Brazil and end with Suzuka and then the Australian round at Adelaide
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

gnrpoison wrote:The season should start in Brazil and end with Suzuka and then the Australian round at Adelaide

Personally, I'm getting a bit spooked about how Suzuka/Fuji is slipping earlier and earlier into the championship.

2001: 1st last
2002: 1st last
2003: 1st last
2004: 2nd last
2005: 2nd last
2006: 2nd last
2007: 3rd last
2008: 3rd last
2009: 3rd last
2010: 4th last
2011: 5th last
2012: 6th last

Thankfully, with Suzuka swapping places with Korea and India dropping off the calendar temporarily, Japan can return to being deservedly a finale.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

good_Ralf wrote:Thankfully, with Suzuka swapping places with Korea and India dropping off the calendar temporarily, Japan can return to being deservedly a finale.

I fail to see how this does anything to displace Brazil, which is a better venue for the last GP anyway, IMO.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Thankfully, with Suzuka swapping places with Korea and India dropping off the calendar temporarily, Japan can return to being deservedly a finale.

I fail to see how this does anything to displace Brazil, which is a better venue for the last GP anyway, IMO.

Agreed. Brazil is more exotic and is usually more dramatic.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Oh Good. For one moment i thought to myself "have you ever seen the 2008 and 2012 races at brazil"?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:I fail to see how this does anything to displace Brazil, which is a better venue for the last GP anyway, IMO.

Oh Good. For one moment i thought to myself "have you ever seen the 2008 and 2012 races at brazil"?

Classic races at the modernized Interlagos IMO: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012
Classic races at Suzuka/Fuji IMO: 1990, 1994, 2000, 2005, 2007

Ja, Interlagos is better.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Salamander wrote:

Suzuka should be 2nd last at least, i'm fine with Interlagos being last. Suzuka always used to be 2nd last when Adelaide was on the calendar.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FullMetalJack wrote:Suzuka should be 2nd last at least, i'm fine with Interlagos being last. Suzuka always used to be 2nd last when Adelaide was on the calendar.

From 1987-95 that was the case every year. Sadly one of the reasons why I think it is in the middle of the calendar is for logistical reasons.
In that era a lot of things were the same for many years in row, such as the points system.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This Year's Sauber looks Beautiful
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The season should definitely always have Australia and Brazil bookending the season (in either order) and have Japan in the penultimate position is wher I stand on the issue.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Last year's Sauber looks beautiful

Fixed In my opinion it is comparable to a duck's bill

The panels on either side of the 2013 car side the stepped nose so I agree it looks a bit better.

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

good_Ralf wrote:

The panels on either side of the 2013 car side the stepped nose so I agree it looks a bit better.

Ugh, last year's Sauber was the 2nd ugliest car on the grid. The Ferrari takes the cake.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:The season should definitely always have Australia and Brazil bookending the season (in either order) and have Japan in the penultimate position is wher I stand on the issue.

I still find it hard to believe that of the 19 races on this year's calender 11 were not on the calender 10 years ago
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

FullMetalJack wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

Ugh, last year's Sauber was the 2nd ugliest car on the grid. The Ferrari takes the cake.

I didn't start watching F1 until last year, so I got pretty acclimated to F1 cars having those hideous noses. I thought they looked okay until I put F1 2012 in my Xbox a few weeks ago. Changed my mind pretty quickly about that.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Hound55 wrote:I didn't start watching F1 until last year, so I got pretty acclimated to F1 cars having those hideous noses. I thought they looked okay until I put F1 2012 in my Xbox a few weeks ago. Changed my mind pretty quickly about that.

Can't wait until next year when low noses (a maximum of 185mm above the floor of the car).

go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
Hound55 wrote:I didn't start watching F1 until last year, so I got pretty acclimated to F1 cars having those hideous noses. I thought they looked okay until I put F1 2012 in my Xbox a few weeks ago. Changed my mind pretty quickly about that.

Can't wait until next year when low noses (a maximum of 185mm above the floor of the car).

We will see beautiful F1 cars again?

I've always wanted to see F1 cars with low noses ever since I saw the early 90s cars. The cars have looked uglier since. When I saw the 2012 cars, I thought "Whoa man! Whoa!" Not in a good way...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:We will see beautiful F1 cars again?

I've always wanted to see F1 cars with low noses ever since I saw the early 90s cars. The cars have looked uglier since. When I saw the 2012 cars, I thought "Whoa man! Whoa!" Not in a good way...

From about 2002 to 2008 lower noses were commonplace but the 2009 aerodynamics change meant raked high noses took over.
I mean compare the 2008 Red Bull to the 2009 Red Bull, for example.

takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

I genuinely believe that the cars from 2006-08 were some of the best-looking F1 cars over the past 20 years. I mean, the general proportions of them were just so right in a way the current big-winged cars just aren't, and all the aerodynamic appendages gave them a sense of form following function, and that they were designed to go as quick as humanely possible. In contrast, just look at this years Caterham; its so obvious that it was designed with a constrictive rulebook in mind
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I genuinely believe that the cars from 2006-08 were some of the best-looking F1 cars over the past 20 years. I mean, the general proportions of them were just so right in a way the current big-winged cars just aren't, and all the aerodynamic appendages gave them a sense of form following function, and that they were designed to go as quick as humanely possible.

It's just that they produce so much downforce hardly any overtaking takes place as you cannot follow a car properly or so I'm told.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:I genuinely believe that the cars from 2006-08 were some of the best-looking F1 cars over the past 20 years. I mean, the general proportions of them were just so right in a way the current big-winged cars just aren't, and all the aerodynamic appendages gave them a sense of form following function, and that they were designed to go as quick as humanely possible. In contrast, just look at this years Caterham; its so obvious that it was designed with a constrictive rulebook in mind

I can't disagree more. All the appendages made them look more like some sort of eldritch abomination instead of a racecar.
Everything's great.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Russian Time should replace one of the current F1 teams.
Trump 2016
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Dark77 wrote:Russian Time should replace one of the current F1 teams.

Or just join the grid getting the grid back up to 24. Surely they would be a lot closer to the pace in just one race than HRT were in their entire existence
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I agree. With that team name? They need to be in F1.
Everything's great.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:

I agree. With that team name? They need to be in F1.

Sounds like a name for a magazine.

takagi_for_the_win

Tom Dillman for F1! :D
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Tom Dillman for F1! :D

And Sam Bird!

takagi_for_the_win

Salamander wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:I genuinely believe that the cars from 2006-08 were some of the best-looking F1 cars over the past 20 years. I mean, the general proportions of them were just so right in a way the current big-winged cars just aren't, and all the aerodynamic appendages gave them a sense of form following function, and that they were designed to go as quick as humanely possible. In contrast, just look at this years Caterham; its so obvious that it was designed with a constrictive rulebook in mind

I can't disagree more. All the appendages made them look more like some sort of eldritch abomination instead of a racecar.

I will admit, some appendages were decidedly dodgy (Honda's "dumbo wings" from 2008 spring to mind) but on the whole I thought they looked incredibly menacing and grrrrrrrrr
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I will admit, some appendages were decidedly dodgy (Honda's "dumbo wings" from 2008 spring to mind) but on the whole I thought they looked incredibly menacing and grrrrrrrrr

And the Twin pylons introduced by BMW at France 2006 were a sight for sore eyes
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I always thought the antlers on the engine cover of the 2005-early 2007 McLaren and the mid 2006-2008 BMW looked like Viking horns, especially when the camera looked up facing the driver.

mario

Post by mario »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:And the Twin pylons introduced by BMW at France 2006 were a sight for sore eyes

Not to mention a sore point of contention with the stewards - they were allowed to get away with them for that race, but a technical directive later on ruled them out on grounds of reduced driver visibility and making access for marshals more difficult (impeding access for medical crews was also why, a few years down the line, Williams's attempt at two vertical flow surfaces on either side of the cockpit were banned before the season even began).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
gnrpoison

Post by gnrpoison »

good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:

While I like Brazil as a finale, I just felt it was a bit nonsensical to go Japan - Brazil, instead of Japan - Australia, likewise I like it going South American rounds, then North American rounds, which if you have 2 US GPs you can do South Africa - Brazil - Argentina/Mexico - Southern USA track e.g. Texas, long beach, Spain, Monaco, then northern USA track e.g. Detroit/new jersey/Watkins glen - Canada - rest of Europe (France/Britain/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Italy/Austria/Hungary/turkey), then Bahrain/Abu Dhabi/Russia, end the season with the Asian rounds(Singapore/Malaysia) Japan and Australia. I know not all of those suggestions have the Grand Prix but just using them as an example of how the championship could save costs if it didn't fly to the same area twice if it had to, so looking at next year's calendar

1. Brazilian Grand Prix
2. US Grand Prix (Texas track)
3. Spanish Grand Prix
4. Monaco Grand Prix
5. New Jersey Grand Prix
6. Canadian Grand Prix
7. British Grand Prix
8. German Grand Prix
9. Austrian Grand Prix
10. Hungarian Grand Prix
11. Belgian Grand Prix
12. Italian Grand Prix
13. Bahrain Grand Prix
14. Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
15. Russian Grand Prix
16. Chinese Grand Prix
17. Singapore Grand prix
18. Malaysian Grand Prix
19. Korean Grand Prix
20. Japanese Grand Prix
21. Australian Grand Prix

If I had to remove one to make it 20 I would remove either Bahrain or Abu Dhabi or Korea, as you can do middle east to Russia as the Russian round is by the black sea.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

gnrpoison wrote:While I like Brazil as a finale, I just felt it was a bit nonsensical to go Japan - Brazil, instead of Japan - Australia, likewise I like it going South American rounds, then North American rounds, which if you have 2 US GPs you can do South Africa - Brazil - Argentina/Mexico - Southern USA track e.g. Texas, long beach, Spain, Monaco, then northern USA track e.g. Detroit/new jersey/Watkins glen - Canada - rest of Europe (France/Britain/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Italy/Austria/Hungary/turkey), then Bahrain/Abu Dhabi/Russia, end the season with the Asian rounds(Singapore/Malaysia) Japan and Australia. I know not all of those suggestions have the Grand Prix but just using them as an example of how the championship could save costs if it didn't fly to the same area twice if it had to, so looking at next year's calendar

1. Brazilian Grand Prix
3. Spanish Grand Prix
4. Monaco Grand Prix
5. New Jersey Grand Prix
6. Canadian Grand Prix
7. British Grand Prix
8. German Grand Prix
9. Austrian Grand Prix
10. Hungarian Grand Prix
11. Belgian Grand Prix
12. Italian Grand Prix
13. Bahrain Grand Prix
14. Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
15. Russian Grand Prix
16. Chinese Grand Prix
17. Singapore Grand prix
18. Malaysian Grand Prix
19. Korean Grand Prix
20. Japanese Grand Prix

If I had to remove one to make it 20 I would remove either Bahrain or Abu Dhabi or Korea, as you can do middle east to Russia as the Russian round is by the black sea.

Not to mention those Koreans have little passion for F1.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
gnrpoison wrote:While I like Brazil as a finale, I just felt it was a bit nonsensical to go Japan - Brazil, instead of Japan - Australia, likewise I like it going South American rounds, then North American rounds, which if you have 2 US GPs you can do South Africa - Brazil - Argentina/Mexico - Southern USA track e.g. Texas, long beach, Spain, Monaco, then northern USA track e.g. Detroit/new jersey/Watkins glen - Canada - rest of Europe (France/Britain/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Italy/Austria/Hungary/turkey), then Bahrain/Abu Dhabi/Russia, end the season with the Asian rounds(Singapore/Malaysia) Japan and Australia. I know not all of those suggestions have the Grand Prix but just using them as an example of how the championship could save costs if it didn't fly to the same area twice if it had to, so looking at next year's calendar

1. Brazilian Grand Prix
3. Spanish Grand Prix
4. Monaco Grand Prix
5. New Jersey Grand Prix
6. Canadian Grand Prix
7. British Grand Prix
8. German Grand Prix
9. Austrian Grand Prix
10. Hungarian Grand Prix
11. Belgian Grand Prix
12. Italian Grand Prix
13. Bahrain Grand Prix
14. Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
15. Russian Grand Prix
16. Chinese Grand Prix
17. Singapore Grand prix
18. Malaysian Grand Prix
19. Korean Grand Prix
20. Japanese Grand Prix

Not to mention those Koreans have little passion for F1.

I think f1 would be more popular in North Korea.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

The 1999 BAR paint job looked good
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

roblomas52 wrote:The 1999 BAR paint job looked good

It was radical and it has rightly been titled by some as the ultimate reject car livery. Personally I have no problem with it and it and the car deserved more than it got.

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Everyone says it's the worst-looking car ever when the Williams in the same year was clearly worse.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Everyone says it's the worst-looking car ever when the Williams in the same year was clearly worse.

Had it used just the 555 livery i would have agreed with roblomas.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Had it used just the 555 livery i would have agreed with roblomas.

BAR ran a 006 in pure 555 livery for practice in China in 2004. There was a video on YouTube but it's blocked.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Had it used just the 555 livery i would have agreed with roblomas.

BAR ran a 006 in pure 555 livery for practice in China in 2004. There was a video on YouTube but it's blocked.

This?

Better than this!:

Although this original wasn't too bad (from this angle only !!!):

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote: This?

Yes.

dr-baker wrote:Better than this!:

I prefer the pure 555 livery because it's too beautiful.

dr-baker wrote:Although this original wasn't too bad (from this angle only !!!):

Yeah. It was an OK livery but the zip spoilt everything.