Most Pointless F1 things

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
roblo97

Most Pointless F1 things

Post by roblo97 »

One of the most pointless things I've ever seen was the BRM H16 from the sixties
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
madmark1974

Re: Most Pointless F1 things

Post by madmark1974 »

THIS THREAD

I hope this was intended as a joke or a wind up, otherwise the depths we have gone to are worse than I feared.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

The Clapping girls at the end of race.

If you are talking literally, Luca Badoer.
Message me on Discord.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Well, the engine won a race (in a Lotus Chassis) and the BRM car got a 2nd place with Stewart and a couple of points for Spence, so while it certainly was not a groundbraking effort, there were many, many F1 things, that were much more pointless (as the engine collected 24 points and the car 15, if I count correctly, it most definitely was not pointless ;) )

Marco, who has a soft spot for the BRM, as I drove it for years in Grand Prix Legends, and built a model kit of the P83 a few months ago

mario

Post by mario »

madmark1974 wrote:THIS THREAD

I hope this was intended as a joke or a wind up, otherwise the depths we have gone to are worse than I feared.

It's in response to the speculation over in the thread about the 2014 turbo engines that Mercedes may have manipulated the audio clip of a simulated lap of Monza in order to disguise some of its characteristics. At the very least, Mercedes have since said that the recording is not entirely representative of their new engine, with the room being soundproofed for the benefit of its staff and the exhaust gases being vented to the atmosphere rather than into the room, so it does seem a little pointless to release an audio clip and then admit that the engine doesn't sound quite like that.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

mario wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:THIS THREAD

It's in response to the speculation over in the thread about the 2014 turbo engines that Mercedes may have manipulated the audio clip of a simulated lap of Monza in order to disguise some of its characteristics. At the very least, Mercedes have since said that the recording is not entirely representative of their new engine, with the room being soundproofed for the benefit of its staff and the exhaust gases being vented to the atmosphere rather than into the room, so it does seem a little pointless to release an audio clip and then admit that the engine doesn't sound quite like that.

Thanks for that Mario, I hadn't read that thread recently.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Marco wrote:Well, the engine won a race (in a Lotus Chassis) and the BRM car got a 2nd place with Stewart and a couple of points for Spence, so while it certainly was not a groundbraking effort, there were many, many F1 things, that were much more pointless (as the engine collected 24 points and the car 15, if I count correctly, it most definitely was not pointless ;) )

Marco, who has a soft spot for the BRM, as I drove it for years in Grand Prix Legends, and built a model kit of the P83 a few months ago

Well now, Marco, long time no see...
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shadaza wrote:If you are talking literally, Luca Badoer.

Image Blasphemer!

It's not Luca that is pointless, it's the system.
Blame the system.
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Jocke1 wrote:
Shadaza wrote:If you are talking literally, Luca Badoer.

Image Blasphemer!

It's not Luca that is pointless, it's the system.
Blame the system.

Absolutely. Shame on you Shadaza, and indeed all your kin, were those tears that fell in Germany for naught?
Just For One Day...
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Badoer was in no way a pointless thing in F1. He wasn't the best on the track we all know that, but he did a reasonable job in every car he drove. Even the Forti.

Plus, his testing work for Ferrari is usually overlooked as a reason way Schumacher was so dominant in the car.

Pointless drivers? Well, have a look at the driver index on the main page and make your own mind up...

Edit: Yeah, just got the 'pointless' joke... I'll get my coat.
Last edited by AdrianSutil on 05 Aug 2013, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

No no, you missed what I meant by Literally pointless.
As in he scored 0 points. The record for most fruitless attempts at points!
Message me on Discord.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

shall i rename this the F1 Rejects Room 101?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

KERS. It's supposed to be both a power boost and an energy recovery system. It's not great at doing both these things.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Podium interviews. Bad Bad Bad. And pointless.

Herman Tilke's designs (especially india, bahrain and Korea)

Red Bull saying both drivers are equal
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

next years regs

pay drivers
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

roblomas52 wrote:next years regs

pay drivers

Pay drivers such as Deletraz and Lavaggi are the reason this website (and consequently this forum) exists today.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 05 Aug 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I'll just throw something in here just because: I think Midland F1 was the most pointless of all of the reject and potential reject teams.

Most reject teams seem to fall under three categoreies for me: They were ambitious but the money didnt come through (Forti, Simtek), performance issues that cost them dearly (Life, Coloni), or were just run by absolute idiots (Andrea Moda, Onyx).

Midland F1 seemed like it was just a financial investment that its owners got bored with pretty quickly, considering the team became Spyker before the 2006 season even ended. Yes you can argue that it was mismanagement like Andrea and Onyx were, but those teams didnt seem to be in it for just the money, while MF1 was clearly just a millionaire's plaything.

On top off that, the 2006 season took about an extra year of preparation if the 2005 preview pages say that the team gave up on 2005 from the start while they still drove under Jordan. Despite an extra season of preparation MF1 made no progress and was easily upstaged by the last-minute, underfunded ragtag team that was Super Aguri in 2006.

It also was perhaps the worst sucessor team in the history of F1 and a disgrace to a well-repected name. Other teams that succeded at least held the team on for at least a bit with some dignity (Stewart >> Jaguar, Ligier >> Prost, Tyrrell >> BAR >>> Honda). MF1 had a very anemic season under Jordan then went nowhere when it flew under its own colors.

While other reject teams seemed to have been so-bad-its-funny mismanagement or just rotten luck, MF1 seemed poised to be a decent team with its financial backing. Instead, it went absolutely nowhere and was folded before its supposed "go-time" season even ended.In my opinion, the total lack of spirit in the team and the clear fact that it was just a 5-minute playtoy for someone who doesnt deserve that kind of money puts Midland F1 as the most pointless F1 team of all the rejects and potential reject, and perhaps in the history of the sport.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I'll just throw something in here just because: I think Midland F1 was the most pointless of all of the reject and potential reject teams.

Most reject teams seem to fall under three categoreies for me: They were ambitious but the money didnt come through (Forti, Simtek), performance issues that cost them dearly (Life, Coloni), or were just run by absolute idiots (Andrea Moda, Onyx).

Midland F1 seemed like it was just a financial investment that its owners got bored with pretty quickly, considering the team became Spyker before the 2006 season even ended. Yes you can argue that it was mismanagement like Andrea and Onyx were, but those teams didnt seem to be in it for just the money, while MF1 was clearly just a millionaire's plaything.

On top off that, the 2006 season took about an extra year of preparation if the 2005 preview pages say that the team gave up on 2005 from the start while they still drove under Jordan. Despite an extra season of preparation MF1 made no progress and was easily upstaged by the last-minute, underfunded ragtag team that was Super Aguri in 2006.

It also was perhaps the worst sucessor team in the history of F1 and a disgrace to a well-repected name. Other teams that succeded at least held the team on for at least a bit with some dignity (Stewart >> Jaguar, Ligier >> Prost, Tyrrell >> BAR >>> Honda). MF1 had a very anemic season under Jordan then went nowhere when it flew under its own colors.

While other reject teams seemed to have been so-bad-its-funny mismanagement or just rotten luck, MF1 seemed poised to be a decent team with its financial backing. Instead, it went absolutely nowhere and was folded before its supposed "go-time" season even ended.In my opinion, the total lack of spirit in the team and the clear fact that it was just a 5-minute playtoy for someone who doesnt deserve that kind of money puts Midland F1 as the most pointless F1 team of all the rejects and potential reject, and perhaps in the history of the sport.

Deserves a reject profile, then. I loved how Jamie and Enoch said how their livery was "like a poor man's McLaren" in the season review.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:Podium interviews. Bad Bad Bad. And pointless.

The whole Podium procedure is a farce: The guys in 2nd and 3rd barely have anywhere to stand. The music when the trophies are being handed out sucks and I agree the Podium Interviews are awful.

I don't think it' Tilke's fault that India and Korea are boring because it's usually the time where Red Bull are miles clear of everybody and Vettel's fighting off accusations that he's only winning because he has the best car which are getting tiring with every passing season and are coming from the British Press which are just jealous that the German's are taking over.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It would be nice if some members actually provided legitimate reasoning behind their choices, rather than saying "Oh, thing A. That's just sh*t."

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I'll just throw something in here just because: I think Midland F1 was the most pointless of all of the reject and potential reject teams.

I think this is the most comprehensive review of Midland there's ever been! I seem to remember there being a big thing made about them in 2004, where they were billed as the future of F1 with their Russian backing and their Dallara chassis. That never materialised; they ended up buying out Jordan thanks to Bernie's guidance, and then just threw sub-par drivers and almost refused to invest. It was patently obvious Alex Shnaider had zero interest in the team, as he pretty much just gave Colin "The Dentist" Kolles the reins and left them to their own devices.

I liked the livery though.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I don't think it' Tilke's fault that India and Korea are boring because it's usually the time where Red Bull are miles clear of everybody and Vettel's fighting off accusations that he's only winning because he has the best car which are getting tiring with every passing season and are coming from the British Press which are just jealous that the German's are taking over.

I disagree with the notion that Korea and India are boring simply because it's Red Bull winning. 2011 was a Vettel walkover as I'm sure you'll agree, but most people - at least, those here - agreed that the racing that year was much better than previous years in general. Korea and India are just bad layouts for F1 - though as Cynon has mentioned off-forum, the layout for India would be a lot better if it was run backwards.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
girry

Post by girry »

Pay drivers ARE NOT pointless; they're essential to F1, some would say sadly, but that's the way F1 is.

Especially weird that the criticism is coming from roblomas, as literally everybody barring Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes are in financial difficulties, yet he still supports more or less freely developing the cars faster and better (=more and more expensive).

The money is essential to F1 and we should pretty much be thankful about there being people willing to sponsor a driver with silly amounts of backing.

Ok, it shouldn't be so etc etc......but F1 simply needs to financially sustain itself, and until serious moves about reducing the spending are made, it will remain so.
when you're dead people start listening
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

giraurd wrote:Pay drivers ARE NOT pointless; they're essential to F1, some would say sadly, but that's the way F1 is.

Especially weird that the criticism is coming from roblomas, as literally everybody barring Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes are in financial difficulties, yet he still supports more or less freely developing the cars faster and better (=more and more expensive).

The money is essential to F1 and we should pretty much be thankful about there being people willing to sponsor a driver with silly amounts of backing.

Ok, it shouldn't be so etc etc......but F1 simply needs to financially sustain itself, and until serious moves about reducing the spending are made, it will remain so.

Pay Drivers at least throw up some good moments for us to watch. Without them we wouldn't have had Deletraz Lavaggi or Alex Yoong for example.

Which Reminds me Was Yuji Ide a pay driver or was he just there because they wanted an All Japanese line up?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Pay Drivers at least throw up some good moments for us to watch. Without them we wouldn't have had Deletraz Lavaggi or Alex Yoong for example.

Which Reminds me Was Yuji Ide a pay driver or was he just there because they wanted an All Japanese line up?

More of the latter I think. But overall I think SA chose him because both of your reasons. Speaking of which, was Taki Inoue a pay driver?

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

The whole Podium procedure is a farce: The guys in 2nd and 3rd barely have anywhere to stand. The music when the trophies are being handed out sucks and I agree the Podium Interviews are awful.

With all due respect, that's rubbish.

The people who flank the winner have plenty of room, for starters. Not enough to swing a cat, admittedly, but that's generally not part of the podium procedure. Plus, there's no music during the trophies, and if you're referring to what Pasta once referred to as the "champagne music", I don't think George Bizet would have ever been too worried about your comment that it "sucks", seeing as he wrote one of the most well-known operas in the world.

Don't agree on the interview front either; I think they provide a clearer view of how the driver is feeling than the dreary press conferences. The drivers have just strenuously exerted themselves for about 2 hours, are more or less fresh out of the car and have had a little swig of bubbly, so they're more likely to be a bit more candid then. Sometimes, the interviewer is a bit of a grade-A muppet on occasion, but when we get Martin or DC with the questions they tend to be more professional.

Personally, I think Dr. Helmut Marko's appearance at Grands Prix is pointless. I've made my distaste for the man and some of his comments clear in the past, but seeing as he's supposed to be the head of Red Bull's driver development program...why does he hang around with the senior team? If he was hanging around the Toro Rosso garage I'd perhaps understand, but he seems to be more part of Vettel's entourage (an already developed driver, of course) and also sticks to Christian Horner on the pit wall like a limpet, whilst retaining an incredibly surly look.

good_Ralf wrote:
More of the latter I think. But overall I think SA chose him because both of your reasons. Speaking of which, was Taki Inoue a pay driver?

Of course he was! He was responsible for the Unimat sponsorship that appeared on the '95 Footwork.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

good_Ralf wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Pay Drivers at least throw up some good moments for us to watch. Without them we wouldn't have had Deletraz Lavaggi or Alex Yoong for example.

I believe so.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Ataxia wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

With all due respect, that's rubbish.

The people who flank the winner have plenty of room, for starters. Not enough to swing a cat, admittedly, but that's generally not part of the podium procedure. Plus, there's no music during the trophies, and if you're referring to what Pasta once referred to as the "champagne music", I don't think George Bizet would have ever been too worried about your comment that it "sucks", seeing as he wrote one of the most well-known operas in the world.

Don't agree on the interview front either; I think they provide a clearer view of how the driver is feeling than the dreary press conferences. The drivers have just strenuously exerted themselves for about 2 hours, are more or less fresh out of the car and have had a little swig of bubbly, so they're more likely to be a bit more candid then. Sometimes, the interviewer is a bit of a grade-A muppet on occasion, but when we get Martin or DC with the questions they tend to be more professional.

If we still had the podiums before Britain 2012 I wouldn't be complaining about them because that's how i feel they should always look and they were perfect. The champagne Music where the drivers spray the bubbly is absolutely fine that's not the music i hate so i don't know why you're saying i don't like that music. I can honestly hear some kind of tune being played when the trophies are being given out even in the support races. I just don't know what it is.
mario

Post by mario »

Marco wrote:Well, the engine won a race (in a Lotus Chassis) and the BRM car got a 2nd place with Stewart and a couple of points for Spence, so while it certainly was not a groundbraking effort, there were many, many F1 things, that were much more pointless (as the engine collected 24 points and the car 15, if I count correctly, it most definitely was not pointless ;) )

It was one of those things where the concept might have made sense (since it drew on some components that had been designed for the very competitive V8 engine BRM had developed for the 1.5L formula), but the execution left a lot to be desired. It does make you wonder whether BRM might have been better off if they had opted for their V12 instead - McLaren used the V12 in 1966 to moderately good effect in the M5A, and both Ferrari and (albeit a bit later) Matra adapted their V12's from sportscar engines, so it was technically possible to do so.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:I can honestly hear some kind of tune being played when the trophies are being given out even in the support races. I just don't know what it is.

I hear it too and I would also that to the list of pointless F1 things. George Bizet has been traditional for much longer and they should only play that for the podium.

Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

-107% rule.
-Blue flags.
-Penalty points system.
-F1 website.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Dj_bereta wrote:-107% rule.

Indeed. The FIA only brought it back, to use it twice on HRT, and let them and others race when they didn't make it. Which is why it is pointless. Or is it the FIA?

I think the new points system is pointless.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Here is another pointless thing IMO, big budgets.
I think teams should get £40,000,000 and teams like Ferrari and redbull and Mercedes should have tighter rules than the likes of caterham and Marussia
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Can anyone explain to me what grooved tyres achieved?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

watka wrote:Can anyone explain to me what grooved tyres achieved?

Well they would have made the dominant Ferrari f2004 3 seconds a lap faster than it was so I assume it was to slow the cars down
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Piss all. They were supposed to cut down on the massive amounts of grip and make the races more interesting. Instead it shifted the focus more exclusively on aerodynamics, which just exacerbated the problem.

At least, that's what I recall as the reasoning behind it.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Salamander wrote:

Piss all. They were supposed to cut down on the massive amounts of grip and make the races more interesting. Instead it shifted the focus more exclusively on aerodynamics, which just exacerbated the problem.

Yes, that rings a bell. I remember someone nominating grooved tyres as reject of the decade (00s) in a thread somewhere.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Salamander wrote:

I think most regulations have gone the same way. They try to make races more exciting, but in doing so it produces problems which go the opposite way.

The 2004 one-engine-per-race rule was meant to muddle up grids a bit, but the manufacturers responded by simply making the engines almost bulletproof, contributing to the super-reliability that still exists today.

In 2005, the front aerodynamic changes made cars even more dependent on aero grip, meaning that overtaking remained difficult. The ban on tyre changes were also not effective, as drivers were not really challenged by the loss of grip towards the end of the race.

In don't think the 2009 rule changes worked that well either. Also consider the effects of banning refuelling, the Pirelli tyres etc.

With not much working to improve, the FIA have gone for rather artificial methods of overtaking, namely KERS and DRS.

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

good_Ralf wrote:
Salamander wrote:

In 2005, the front aerodynamic changes made cars even more dependent on aero grip, meaning that overtaking remained difficult. The ban on tyre changes were also not effective, as drivers were not really challenged by the loss of grip towards the end of the race.

Kimi Raikkonen would beg to differ.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Toyota. That is all
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Onyx, or more particularly what happened after Moneytron left and Monteverdi took over. As in Stefan Johansson took an Onyx ORE-1 to a third place in Portugal and within a year and a half the team was gone.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!