Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions

Post by Faustus »

roblomas52 wrote:Tue percentage of the British population that give a damn about NASCAR is approximately 0.045% which is positively sod all

I guess I have to include myself in the approximately 20000 people. Working with ASCAR gave me a very interesting insight into stock cars and a deep appreciation for the the driving and engineering involved.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

roblomas52 wrote:Tue percentage of the British population that give a damn about NASCAR is approximately 0.045% which is positively sod all

98% of all facts on the internet are pulled out of someone's ass. Also, your statement was, "nobody in britain really gives a damn about NASCAR". Unless you'd like to try and prove that I don't actually exist, you're still wrong.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Salamander wrote:

98% of all facts on the internet are pulled out of someone's ass.

Exactly. 73% of people know that.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Faustus wrote:
Salamander wrote:

And 66% of members on here were spam bots who have now had there accounts deleted
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
Faustus wrote:
Salamander wrote:98% of all facts on the internet are pulled out of someone's ass.

And 66% of members on here were spam bots who have now had there accounts deleted

I'm going to assume you've given up on your argument, then. If you pulled out any more stuff from your ass, we could stage the conveyor belt round from "The Generation Game"...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Faustus wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I don't believe that at all. After all, 81% of all statistics are made up at the spur of the moment.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Faustus wrote:
Salamander wrote:98% of all facts on the internet are pulled out of someone's ass.

I don't believe that at all. After all, 81% of all statistics are made up at the spur of the moment.

I don't believe this. After all, 100% of the facts on the internet shouldn't be believed until proven true.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

roblomas52 wrote:I have reliable sources that can confirm 100% of information on the internet is true, especially when quoted by This

go_Rubens wrote:And i confirm that there is a 100% chance that This is the most reliable forum member.

Faustus wrote:Rumours that Salamander does not exist are 95% likely to be true.

takagi_for_the_win wrote:It's god's will!

Yeah, you people asked for it :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Why NASCAR appeals to people:

1) High speed
2) Crashes almost guaranteed
3) Loads of overtaking
4) If you go a race meeting, you can see the whole track
5) Loads of races in a season

Why NASCAR doesn't appeal to some people:

1) It's incredibly repetitive

Take your side.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:Why NASCAR doesn't appeal to some people:

2) The Chase format sucks

Fixed ;)

The Chase has a use in NASCAR, but it still sucks...
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

What is it with Americans and having a play-off format for everything? I'm quite into ice hockey but I still can't get my head around the teams playing all these games in the normal season and then meaning nothing as the Stanley Cup play-offs start (yes, there's the Presidents' Trophy, but its nowhere near as prestigious as the Stanley Cup) - particularly as a Canucks fan! It seems The Chase does practically the same.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:What is it with Americans and having a play-off format for everything? I'm quite into ice hockey but I still can't get my head around the teams playing all these games in the normal season and then meaning nothing as the Stanley Cup play-offs start (yes, there's the Presidents' Trophy, but its nowhere near as prestigious as the Stanley Cup) - particularly as a Canucks fan! It seems The Chase does practically the same.

The Americans find the least professional ways to create results. Therefore, the Chase is like football and ice hockey and genuinely sucks. Therefore, I wish IndyCar doesn't do the same, or else it'll suck as well.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Jack Perkins deserves a full-time drive in the V8s. I mean, sure he did absolutely nothing in his time at his old man's team, but he was thrown to the sharks far too early and Shane Price in the other car wasn't any better. The kid's matured a lot since then and it's a travesty he doesn't have a main game drive while Maro freaking Engal does.

Which leads me to another pointed opinion of mine: I will forever believe that Christian Klien deserved the Erebus seat more than Engal.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Thruxton and Knockhill are the two best circuits in the world.
I liked Rusty Wallace on IndyCar broadcasts.
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

watka wrote:Why NASCAR appeals to people:

1) High speed
3) Loads of overtaking

Why NASCAR doesn't appeal to some people:

Take your side.

The other component of NASCAR's lack of appeal is how Clint Bowyer can be second in the points with no wins and 12 top tens. Then you see that his worst finish is 31st and that thus far that he has the third highest top ten total.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

watka wrote:What is it with Americans and having a play-off format for everything? I'm quite into ice hockey but I still can't get my head around the teams playing all these games in the normal season and then meaning nothing as the Stanley Cup play-offs start (yes, there's the Presidents' Trophy, but its nowhere near as prestigious as the Stanley Cup) - particularly as a Canucks fan! It seems The Chase does practically the same.

Without the Chase there was a situation about ten years ago where Matt Kenseth secured the championship at Rockingham with one race to go. Remember that Kenseth had only won once all that season and drove much like Clint Bowyer has this season with extreme consistency and a flood of 5th to 15th place finishes.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

watka wrote:Why NASCAR appeals to people:

1) High speed
3) Loads of overtaking

You forgot about the trackside fights that take place on occasion. See the Top Gear video on NASCAR. It features JPM.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Without the Chase there was a situation about ten years ago where Matt Kenseth secured the championship at Rockingham with one race to go. Remember that Kenseth had only won once all that season and drove much like Clint Bowyer has this season with extreme consistency and a flood of 5th to 15th place finishes.

While a normal championship system sounds good, what you've got to remember is that most NASCAR fans are idiots of the 'MOAR ACTION! MOAR CRASHES! 'MRICA BATHPLUG YEAH' type and therefore don't care about consistency.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

While a normal championship system sounds good, what you've got to remember is that most NASCAR fans are idiots of the 'MOAR ACTION! MOAR CRASHES! 'MRICA BATHPLUG YEAH' type and therefore don't care about consistency.

I feel like that is only representative of very casual watchers of the sport, and while they do fill a larger amount of the fan base, that is simply because more people watch sports, like NASCAR, without the levels of dedication many others do. Calling most NASCAR fans "idiots" is in bad taste. After all, every sport has its fans, including F1, that are there merely for the drama. There are no more of them for any other fan base than in NASCAR, its just that stereotypes of typical southern Americans having this sort of mentality has become painfully mainstream, to the degree where many NASCAR fans are thrown into this false stereotype. The only reason it may seem like many to you is because those that do fit the description are very vocal about the sport.

I think you'll find that the Chase format has as many proponents as it does critics here in the US. It's just a classic case of whining by both parties that the sport needs this or that. In my eyes, as long as we are racing, regardless of point systems and championship formats, its perfect. I think that whatever the governing body, be it NASCAR or the FIA, is going to do, in the long run it'll be the right decision. Changes are just part of motorsports, and we should just get used to the changes that are happening rather than blasting them every chance available for years.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Hound55 wrote:I feel like that is only representative of very casual watchers of the sport, and while they do fill a larger amount of the fan base, that is simply because more people watch sports, like NASCAR, without the levels of dedication many others do. Calling most NASCAR fans "idiots" is in bad taste. After all, every sport has its fans, including F1, that are there merely for the drama. There are no more of them for any other fan base than in NASCAR, its just that stereotypes of typical southern Americans having this sort of mentality has become painfully mainstream, to the degree where many NASCAR fans are thrown into this false stereotype. The only reason it may seem like many to you is because those that do fit the description are very vocal about the sport.

I think you'll find that the Chase format has as many proponents as it does critics here in the US. It's just a classic case of whining by both parties that the sport needs this or that. In my eyes, as long as we are racing, regardless of point systems and championship formats, its perfect. I think that whatever the governing body, be it NASCAR or the FIA, is going to do, in the long run it'll be the right decision. Changes are just part of motorsports, and we should just get used to the changes that are happening rather than blasting them every chance available for years.

The chase is more a contest of who can run well enough and then avoid the wrecks at Martinsville and Talladega.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Hound55 wrote:I feel like that is only representative of very casual watchers of the sport, and while they do fill a larger amount of the fan base, that is simply because more people watch sports, like NASCAR, without the levels of dedication many others do. Calling most NASCAR fans "idiots" is in bad taste. After all, every sport has its fans, including F1, that are there merely for the drama. There are no more of them for any other fan base than in NASCAR, its just that stereotypes of typical southern Americans having this sort of mentality has become painfully mainstream, to the degree where many NASCAR fans are thrown into this false stereotype. The only reason it may seem like many to you is because those that do fit the description are very vocal about the sport.

The chase is more a contest of who can run well enough and then avoid the wrecks at Martinsville and Talladega.

Well, by the same logic, isn't the buildup to the chase a contest to see who can run well enough and avoid the wrecks at the superspeedways, Bristol, and Martinsville? The chase is fairly representative of the entire schedule, minus the road courses.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
mario

Post by mario »

Sadly, that does tend to be quite common with a number of motorsport series (and sport in general) - it is not the most articulate or most informed individuals but the most vociferous who end up making their voices heard, and sometimes in a way that is rather detrimental.
You see it in F1 with those who repeatedly demand that the sport should return back to whichever decade they have arbitrarily decided is their favourite decade, the constant lauding of the ACO's policies by those who ignore the damage it has done to the privateers and independent engine manufacturers steamrollered by the financial muscle of manufacturers, the complaints about DTM "dumbing down to the lowest common denominator" or copying other series and so forth.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A1GP should have stuck with an updated Lola-Zytec chassis-engine combo; their Ferrari deal was a major factor in their downfall. A prestigious link-up it may have seemed, but the fact that Team GB (who had finished 3rd in each of the series's first three seasons), amongst several other established teams, did not receive their cars in time for the first round, in Europe, smacks of disorganisations. But knowing that that was already scheduled as the second round, and the first round at Mugello was cancelled due to delays in chassis construction, emphasised the problems the series had with the switch-over. Maybe there were many other things going on in the background that explains the difficult transistion, but they could have masked it over somewhat and had a fuller season of racing if only they had cars to race...

Geez, I miss the A1GP series...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Hound55 wrote:Well, by the same logic, isn't the buildup to the chase a contest to see who can run well enough and avoid the wrecks at the superspeedways, Bristol, and Martinsville? The chase is fairly representative of the entire schedule, minus the road courses.

One could say that, I'd like to see Road Atlanta on the schedule instead of a cookie cutter mile and a half for the chase.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Hound55 wrote:Well, by the same logic, isn't the buildup to the chase a contest to see who can run well enough and avoid the wrecks at the superspeedways, Bristol, and Martinsville? The chase is fairly representative of the entire schedule, minus the road courses.

One could say that, I'd like to see Road Atlanta on the schedule instead of a cookie cutter mile and a half for the chase.

Which brings me to a question I've had for a while now: Just what is it with NASCAR and their obsession with 1 1/2 mile cookie-cutter ovals?
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wizzie wrote:Which brings me to a question I've had for a while now: Just what is it with NASCAR and their obsession with 1 1/2 mile cookie-cutter ovals?

It's Bruton Smith, and the France Family having speedway wars trying to get as much profit and speed at minimum cost. Short tracks aren't fast enough and don't offer enough room for expansion. Mile and a half tracks have plenty of room for more seating if need be. Why no bigger? Then the cost of paving and repaving would be too high to maximize profit.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

NASCAR needs more dirt track races.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I actually want Dan Cammish to win all the remaining Formula Ford races this season. :twisted:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:I actually want Dan Cammish to win all the remaining Formula Ford races this season. :twisted:

+1
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

If I were Beaux Barfield, I'd have fined Team Penske's pit coordinator/coach rather than penalise Scott Dixon for the incident in yesterday's Sonoma Indycar race.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

HonoraryNortherner wrote:If I were Beaux Barfield, I'd have fined Team Penske's pit coordinator/coach rather than penalise Scott Dixon for the incident in yesterday's Sonoma Indycar race.

+1. The penalty was downright ridiculous. But I won't rant about it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

It also seems that most fans want to see their driver win every race when there is a highly unlikely chance at winning every race and are complete fanboys. Most of them don't really act like grown men either.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

go_Rubens wrote:It also seems that most fans want to see their driver win every race when there is a highly unlikely chance at winning every race and are complete fanboys. Most of them don't really act like grown men either.

The real reason I support Clint Bowyer is that I know he won't win many races thus making each one feel that much better.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Munoz should've won the Indy 500.
Trump 2016
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Dark77 wrote:Munoz should've won the Indy 500.

Seconded. I hope that alleged '2nd place on Indy500 debut curse' doesn't apply to him because I think he might be the next Montoya. I would love to see Carlos become a multiple winner or champion in IndyCar or even F1.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dark77 wrote:Munoz should've won the Indy 500.

Over Tony freaking Kanaan!? Boo this man!
Everything's great.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Salamander wrote:Over Tony freaking Kanaan!? Boo this man!
Well, I do feel that Kanaan deserved a win but at the same time Munoz put on a stunning performance that won't be remembered just because he wasn't first. :(
Trump 2016
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dark77 wrote:
Well, I do feel that Kanaan deserved a win but at the same time Munoz put on a stunning performance that won't be remembered just because he wasn't first. :(

It was a breakout performance for Munoz, probably the strongest performance by a rookie since Castroneves. It'll be remembered.
Everything's great.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Salamander wrote:
Dark77 wrote:

It was a breakout performance for Munoz, probably the strongest performance by a rookie since Castroneves. It'll be remembered.

I still remember it now. I will remember it for a while. His 2nd place was sensational for me, considering I was expecting him to bin it 20 laps in with the very risky line he ran through the corners.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I don't like how IndyCar is having fewer and fewer oval races.
Trump 2016