Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
apple2009

Re: Ponderbox

Post by apple2009 »

madmark1974 wrote:
watka wrote:It all depends what country the team is registered as, which you can see from the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_2013

Ok, I looked on the offical F1 site (and the FIA's) and it only said where they were based, not the country they were registered as. Just not entirely sure on the 'legitimacy' of Wikipedia info ...

:|
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

madmark1974 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:On a related note, as Red Bull are based in the UK, but play the Austrian anthem when they win, which anthems would be played for the following teams? :

Force India - based in the UK but owned by an Indian.
Marussia - based in the the UK but owned by Russians.
Caterham - based in the UK, and manufacturer is UK, but owned by a Malaysian
Toro Rosso - based in the Italy, but owned by an Austrian

In the 2012 season review, Jamie and Enoch played the Malaysian national anthem for Caterham, who had won ROTY!

Of course Toro Rosso did already win a GP, but I can't remember what anthem was played for Mr. Vettel's victory at the time ...

It was a real déjà-vu feeling with the two anthems played after Vettel won that race.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I may be very much incorrect when I say this, but I think Nick Heidfeld could have won the 2006 Italian Grand Prix.
After all, on fuel-adjusted qualifying times he was good enough for pole position and initially he had made a better start than Schumacher, into 2nd entering the first chicane. If he had stayed ahead on the first lap and held Michael off despite his much heavier fuel load, he could have leapfrogged Raikkonen. Then again he would have to keep ahead of Schumacher for the rest of the race. At least a podium was possible but on a heavier fuel load he just sunk like a stone and allowed Kubica to take the glory.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Possibly, but it was no narrower than Donnington was. I think it was binned because it was in a remote region.

The 1995 race was pushed back several months to the end of the season, because of the earthquake in nearby Kobe I believe. So perhaps that might have been another reason F1 didn't go back.

I love the fact that there were only two Pacific Grands Prix, and that Pacific GP team only survived two years, but that Pacific competed in both Pacific GPs! The only times that a team has competed in a GP of the same name... If only there had been a GP in Jordan at the same time...

I doubt she'd have been too happy about that...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I love the fact that there were only two Pacific Grands Prix, and that Pacific GP team only survived two years, but that Pacific competed in both Pacific GPs! The only times that a team has competed in a GP of the same name... If only there had been a GP in Jordan at the same time...

I doubt she'd have been too happy about that...

Ah, but think of the publicity and the dosh she'd make from holding said Grand Prix. I think she'd be very happy. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

A hypothetical question, to be pondered.

It's Brazil. Vettel leads Alonso by 14 points. Race start is very wet. Alonso leads. Vettel has a car issue forcing him to retire. It's lap 5. The weather is worsening, to the point where it will be near impossible to lap, even under safety car. You are Charlie Whiting. Do you red flag?
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

GwilymJJames wrote:A hypothetical question, to be pondered.

It's Brazil. Vettel leads Alonso by 14 points. Race start is very wet. Alonso leads. Vettel has a car issue forcing him to retire. It's lap 5. The weather is worsening, to the point where it will be near impossible to lap, even under safety car. You are Charlie Whiting. Do you red flag?

Yes. He did that in qualifying in Australia this year and in many races in recent years.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

I guess that the closest situation we have seen in the past that might mirror that would be the 2010 Korean GP, so my considerations are partially based on what happened in that situation.

I would presume that, if race control (as Whiting would need to liaise with the other stewards) were of the opinion that the conditions were becoming quite dangerous, then they would probably first try sending Mylander out to control the race and to assess the conditions. Mylander's feedback would then probably be added to that of the other drivers, who no doubt would be sending back their own radio messages to the team to pass on to race control, to get their perspective of the race conditions. In Korea, for example, Mylander's feedback was one reason why the race was stopped - Mylander was complaining that the visibility was too poor to see the cars and even he was struggling with aquaplaning in some places, which was why he felt that the race had to be stopped.

If the conditions were bad enough that Whiting and the stewards felt it was too dangerous to try to run the race under the safety car, I believe that Whiting would then bite the bullet and halt the race at that point. After that, I guess that they'd simply line up on the grid again and wait it out until they could either restart the race or hit the four hour time limit, whichever came first.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

good_Ralf wrote:

Yes. He did that in qualifying in Australia this year and in many races in recent years.

But would he let the championship be decided by him? Alonso would get 12.5 pts. Would the FIA let him call off the championship final? Would Ferrari accept the result?

I think it's a thing to consider.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
mario

Post by mario »

GwilymJJames wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

But would he let the championship be decided by him? Alonso would get 12.5 pts. Would the FIA let him call off the championship final? Would Ferrari accept the result?

I think it's a thing to consider.

Whiting would, no doubt, be lobbied hard by Ferrari not to let the race, and ultimately the championship, be decided in that manner - Bernie would also probably be strongly against the matter too.

The FIA, though, probably would be prepared to call off the race if things were that bad - given the tragic events of the Canadian GP, I imagine that the FIA would be more cautious than normal if the conditions were particularly severe and the risks to both the drivers and marshals were quite high. We saw how easy it was for some drivers to lose control in the wet conditions last year, and there have been several times when marshals have come close to being hit by drivers or have actually been hit by out of control drivers when recovering other vehicles on track. Whiting's position might be a bit more lenient than it normally would be if the conditions were bad, but if they were bad enough then I would expect him to call off the race and face the wrath of Ferrari rather than take too big a risk with somebody's life.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The important thing here is that it's only lap 5 - the FIA would look to restart the race at some point, whether it's later in the day or on Monday or something. The last race that was red flagged before the halfway point and not restarted was the 1991 Australian GP. And this is a championship-deciding finale...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

The recent talk at the Sauber in Trouble thread has got me thinking....

...are there any drivers out there in F1 with little,insignificant,or no personal sponsorship?
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

WaffleCat wrote:The recent talk at the Sauber in Trouble thread has got me thinking....

...are there any drivers out there in F1 with little,insignificant,or no personal sponsorship?

Hülkenberg, i suppose. Who ironically drives for Sauber.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:The recent talk at the Sauber in Trouble thread has got me thinking....

Button? Massa?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

Salamander wrote:The important thing here is that it's only lap 5 - the FIA would look to restart the race at some point, whether it's later in the day or on Monday or something. The last race that was red flagged before the halfway point and not restarted was the 1991 Australian GP. And this is a championship-deciding finale...

and with said race being in Brazil, realistically It would only take 15-30 minutes to have a bright sunshine again :lol:
mario

Post by mario »

lgaquino wrote:
Salamander wrote:The important thing here is that it's only lap 5 - the FIA would look to restart the race at some point, whether it's later in the day or on Monday or something. The last race that was red flagged before the halfway point and not restarted was the 1991 Australian GP. And this is a championship-deciding finale...

and with said race being in Brazil, realistically It would only take 15-30 minutes to have a bright sunshine again :lol:

The sporting regulations put a fixed length of four hours on the maximum time that can elapse before the result is declared:
5.3: The distance of all races, from the start signal referred to in Article 38.9 to the chequered flag, shall be equal to the least number of complete laps which exceed a distance of 305 km (Monaco 260km). However, should two hours elapse before the scheduled race distance is completed, the leader will be shown the chequered flag when he crosses the control line (the Line) at the end of the lap during which the two hour period ended.

However, should the race be suspended (see Article 41) the length of the suspension will be added to this period up to a maximum total race time of four hours.

The FIA would, no doubt, wait for as long as possible to restart the race before declaring it to be over, but their own statutes would force them to declare the race as over when the time limit of four hours was reached.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

Button? Massa?

Massa has Guaraná Antarctica.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Faustus wrote: Massa has Guaraná Antarctica.

That sounds like a disease.
-*:-
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Jocke1 wrote:
Faustus wrote: Massa has Guaraná Antarctica.

That sounds like a disease.

Mind you it is a delicious disease to suffer.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Faustus wrote:Massa has Guaraná Antarctica.

I had that once and now I have to pee sitting down ;) ;)
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

We came close in 2008 and 2012. Could this be the first year where every driver competes in every race?

Because that would suck.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:We came close in 2008 and 2012. Could this be the first year where every driver competes in every race?

Because that would suck.

It wouldn't suck, it would be epic. And it will happen unless somebody does a Grosjean and gets banned for a race or two. Or if somebody dies. Or gets injured.
UncreativeUsername37

apple2009 wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:We came close in 2008 and 2012. Could this be the first year where every driver competes in every race?

Because that would suck.

It wouldn't suck, it would be epic. And it will happen unless somebody does a Grosjean and gets banned for a race or two. Or if somebody dies. Or gets injured.

But I like tons of people tripping over performance clauses and rotating pay-drivers and mid-season poaching!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Because that would suck.

Are you counting a DNS as competing in the race? Because The Hulk had one of those in Melbourne...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
UncreativeUsername37

AustralianStig wrote:

Because that would suck.

Are you counting a DNS as competing in the race? Because The Hulk had one of those in Melbourne...

You're right, that is kind of ambiguous. Enters every race would be a more accurate term.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Did you know that Eddie Jordan is actually bald, and has been for some 30 years? :shock:

He must have a great set of wigs and/or stylist to keep that fact hidden. Shame that his stylist evidently doesn't do shirts. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Has Ferrari ever had a driver line up with 2 World Champions, 1990 is the closest I can think of but Mansell had not won the championship by that point....
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

WeirdKerr wrote:Has Ferrari ever had a driver line up with 2 World Champions, 1990 is the closest I can think of but Mansell had not won the championship by that point....

Giuseppe Farina and Alberto Ascari, 1953.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

WeirdKerr wrote:Has Ferrari ever had a driver line up with 2 World Champions, 1990 is the closest I can think of but Mansell had not won the championship by that point....

That is historic.

14 Hundred Hours

Post by 14 Hundred Hours »

East Londoner wrote:Did you know that Eddie Jordan is actually bald, and has been for some 30 years? :shock:

He must have a great set of wigs and/or stylist to keep that fact hidden. Shame that his stylist evidently doesn't do shirts. :lol:

Apparently he has three which he rotates to simulate growth and hair cuts! I got told this once randomly by my dads friend.
Timo Glock für Bürgermeister.
Also I'm a girl. Maybe I shoulda made this clear waaay back to avoid confusion!
UncreativeUsername37

You must never break the chain... unless you're Alonso or Raikkonen or Grosjean or Hulkenberg or Sutil....
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

East Londoner wrote:Did you know that Eddie Jordan is actually bald, and has been for some 30 years? :shock:

Wow, I never knew that :shock:
About his shirts: at least his personality fits the random shirts, I think :lol: It all makes him look more weird, when he comes up with the silly season moves...

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Shizuka wrote:About his shirts: at least his personality fits the random shirts, I think :lol: It all makes him look more weird, when he comes up with the silly season moves...

You should see the shirt he wore for the first ever Indian GP in 2011.

Zetec

Post by Zetec »

This wrote:

Webber - Quantas, Swisse
Alonso - Oakley, Europcar, Viceroy
Räikkönen - Oakley, Wrangler
Grosjean - Total, Tag Heuer, Oakley, Goodwill
Rosberg - Thomas Sabo
Hülkenberg - DEKRA, Rheinwaal
di Resta - Whyte+Mackay, Aberdeen Asset
Sutil - MEDION, Capri-Sun, Apsley, Einstein+Newton
Maldonado - PDVSA, Venezuela Destino Turistico
Bottas - WIHURI, KEMPPI
Vergne - RedBull, Falcon, Attractive World, RKC, JobOne
Ricciardo - RedBull, Quantas
Pic - IDEC Groupe, Lagardère
van der Garde - Beelen.nl, Regus, Maasfactor, cashper
Bianchi - Ferrari, Richard Mille, FFSA
Chilton - his daddy

I'm not always 100% sure if the money will flow directly to the team or the driver.
For example: Hülkenberg gets money from DEKRA and Rheinwaal, but I don't think that any of it is paid to Sauber.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote:

Wow, I never knew that :shock:
About his shirts: at least his personality fits the random shirts, I think :lol: It all makes him look more weird, when he comes up with the silly season moves...

I learned about his baldness in 1998.
While watching the Belgian GP, the commentator laughed when Eddie ran off the podium before Damon & Ralf started spraying the champagne and said something like "good thing Eddie didn't stay for the champagne, reason is he is bald."
And I have also heard that thing about his 3 different wigs.

Just don't ask for Larry David's opinion :|
-*:-
mario

Post by mario »

Thinking about Hulkenberg and his prospects for 2014, it does seem to beg the question of what he is doing that seems to be holding him back from breaking into a major team.
The results of the private opinions of the team managers showed that, in late 2012, he was held in fairly high esteem by most team principals - IIRC, he came in the top 8, and possibly the top 6, in the opinion polls at the end of that year. However, he was rejected by Ferrari in favour of Raikkonen, Red Bull didn't pay any attention to his managers and even talk of a deal with Lotus seems to have gone quiet recently despite the earlier public interest from them (although their financial woes might mean that moving there would be a mixed blessing).

Why, therefore, is he unable to secure a better seat despite interest and praise from team principals? His salary demands don't seem unreasonable, he doesn't have any negative PR connotations and, with over 50 starts to his name, has a reasonable amount of experience too.
Is he perhaps difficult to work with in the garage? Some of the messages that he has given to the team over the radio, according to the official transcripts, have been rather hostile or unhelpful, but he doesn't seem to have the same sort of reputation as di Resta has for being difficult. I wouldn't have thought that sponsorship would have been a deal breaker either - he has some backing and personal sponsorship shouldn't have been an issue with Ferrari at least. What else could there be?
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

mario wrote:Thinking about Hulkenberg and his prospects for 2014, it does seem to beg the question of what he is doing that seems to be holding him back from breaking into a major team.
The results of the private opinions of the team managers showed that, in late 2012, he was held in fairly high esteem by most team principals - IIRC, he came in the top 8, and possibly the top 6, in the opinion polls at the end of that year. However, he was rejected by Ferrari in favour of Raikkonen, Red Bull didn't pay any attention to his managers and even talk of a deal with Lotus seems to have gone quiet recently despite the earlier public interest from them (although their financial woes might mean that moving there would be a mixed blessing).

Why, therefore, is he unable to secure a better seat despite interest and praise from team principals? His salary demands don't seem unreasonable, he doesn't have any negative PR connotations and, with over 50 starts to his name, has a reasonable amount of experience too.
Is he perhaps difficult to work with in the garage? Some of the messages that he has given to the team over the radio, according to the official transcripts, have been rather hostile or unhelpful, but he doesn't seem to have the same sort of reputation as di Resta has for being difficult. I wouldn't have thought that sponsorship would have been a deal breaker either - he has some backing and personal sponsorship shouldn't have been an issue with Ferrari at least. What else could there be?

From a piece I've read on Autosport, in spite of the purportedly hostile radio messages broadcast over the live coverage, Hulkenberg's engineers hold him in very high regard. According to those who've worked with him, he provides clear technical feedback, possesses a good work ethic, and has generally demonstrated an extraordinary amount of pace.

This is just a hypothesis, but I don't think Hulkenberg's difficulties in finding a competitive seat have any relation to Hulkenberg himself. As Enoch wrote in his recent article, the top five teams have been rotating the same few drivers for nearly a decade now, effectively excluding any nascent talent from an opportunity at a front-running team. Personally, and this inclination has no means of validation, I think there's a pervasive wariness among front-running teams regarding young drivers, perhaps understandable considering that they've enjoyed the services of fast, highly experienced, and consistent pilots for essentially an entire era of the sport. That the two front-running teams who have shouldered the risk of placing a young driver in a seat, Lotus and McLaren, have observed significant disparities in consistency between their young drivers and their experienced drivers only exacerbates existing apprehension with respect to the new generation of drivers.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Why are most racing driver's sons either crap or just not as good as their fathers?
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dark77 wrote:Why are most racing driver's sons either crap or just not as good as their fathers?

Racing genes mixing in with other genes?? :?

It could also be the immense pressure from being the son of The World Championship Driver. Most people would expect the person with the same name to perform the same as their father. I guess it comes from the old days where many people basically inherited their father's job. (I'm looking at older history here.)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Dark77 wrote:Why are most racing driver's sons either crap or just not as good as their fathers?

Nico Rosberg being an exception. I'm not saying he's better than Keke, but he's really broke out this season.
I like the way Snrub thinks!