Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
Dark77 wrote:The Indianapolis 500 shouldn't be considered so important.

Think about it: if it wasn't so important CART would've survived the split easily.

But only if you then say the same thing about the Le Mans 24 Hours, Monaco GP, America's Cup, the Olympics, the World Cup, Wimbledon, etc.

Sports need their headliner important events to bring interest towards the sport once a year.

The Indy 500 is also the oldest motor race in the world at the moment; that will always keep it prestigious. And what if Le Mans wasn't so prestigious? Would automobiles have the interesting technologies that they have today if it wasn't for Le Mans?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

go_Rubens wrote:

Think about it: if it wasn't so important CART would've survived the split easily.

But only if you then say the same thing about the Le Mans 24 Hours, Monaco GP, America's Cup, the Olympics, the World Cup, Wimbledon, etc.

The Indy 500 is also the oldest motor race in the world at the moment; that will always keep it prestigious. And what if Le Mans wasn't so prestigious? Would automobiles have the interesting technologies that they have today if it wasn't for Le Mans?

Rubens is right. For example the Nissan DeltaWing was inspired by Le Mans, but thanks to F1 Reject Kazuki Nakajima it is no more.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I think it shows the value of history as it killed CART which didn't have the prestigious race despite having superior drivers throughout the 1990s until about 2001.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Helio Castroneves doesn't deserve the title in this season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Dj_bereta wrote:Helio Castroneves doesn't deserve the title in this season.
I agree, if Dixon hadn't had the BS at Sonoma and Baltimore he would have it wrapped up easily.
Trump 2016
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Dark77 wrote:
I agree, if Dixon hadn't had the BS at Sonoma and Baltimore he would have it wrapped up easily.

But, Helio has not been crowned yet and there is still one more round left to go so it could change.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
fbjim

Post by fbjim »

He absolutely does not- I actually had RHR pegged as the driver of the year around Toronto-ish, but his performances seemed to fall off a cliff right around the time he was rammed from behind by Sato at Pocono. Either way, Dixon's second-half performance really makes him the solid driver of the year.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

good_Ralf wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Rubens is right. For example the Nissan DeltaWing was inspired by Le Mans, but thanks to F1 Reject Kazuki Nakajima it is no more.

Ironic considering the DeltaWing was designed to be an IndyCar........
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Simply, Castroneves got in the picture due to the drivers who were threats at various points of the season fading away or rising after horrid starts. Dixon was horrid early in the season while Sato shone brightly and RHR was mediocre. Then Sato disappeared and sank down the standings, Dixon was mediocre, and RHR was dominant. Then Dixon returned the form that we expected him to be in, but was too far behind to catch Castroneves while Sato rammed RHR out into some sort of downwards spiral.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Simply, Castroneves got in the picture due to the drivers who were threats at various points of the season fading away or rising after horrid starts. Dixon was horrid early in the season while Sato shone brightly and RHR was mediocre. Then Sato disappeared and sank down the standings, Dixon was mediocre, and RHR was dominant. Then Dixon returned the form that we expected him to be in, but was too far behind to catch Castroneves while Sato rammed RHR out into some sort of downwards spiral.

Similar to the situation in MotoGP, where Marquez is leading due to the injuries of Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa. If those injuries didn't limit Pedrosa and Lorenzo, the title race would be much closer than it is now. In fact, Marquez wouldn't be leading if Lorenzo or Pedrosa weren't injured. Dani had it until his crash knocked him out of contention essentially.

What I'm saying here is Marquez doesn't deserve the title unless he wins a straight fight. Right now, he doesn't deserve it through others' misfortunes.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Hound55

Post by Hound55 »

go_Rubens wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Similar to the situation in MotoGP, where Marquez is leading due to the injuries of Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa. If those injuries didn't limit Pedrosa and Lorenzo, the title race would be much closer than it is now. In fact, Marquez wouldn't be leading if Lorenzo or Pedrosa weren't injured. Dani had it until his crash knocked him out of contention essentially.

What I'm saying here is Marquez doesn't deserve the title unless he wins a straight fight. Right now, he doesn't deserve it through others' misfortunes.

I have a problem when people say "so-and-so doesn't deserve the title this year." They are clearly leading the championship. If they weren't the most deserving, then who would be? Championships have a points system so that those that earn the most points win them. Nothing could possibly mean that a driver doesn't deserve a championship, even if some of his/her competitors are injured. They aren't racing so they don't deserve the championship. It is awful for them, sure, but that doesn't mean you can give them a consolation trophy.

carry on.
LONG LIVE MARUSSIA

Things I was wrong about:
Kimi to Ferrari, Perez out of McLaren, Maldonado to Lotus, Kobash comes back, Gutierrez stays, Chilton stays, Boullier leaves Lotus.

I stream Ustream, we all scream for PRC.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Exactly, it's like saying Hunt didn't deserve the 1976 title because Lauda was injured for several races.

To win you sometimes need luck to be on your side, but that doesn't make you any less deserving.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

go_Rubens wrote:Similar to the situation in MotoGP, where Marquez is leading due to the injuries of Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa. If those injuries didn't limit Pedrosa and Lorenzo, the title race would be much closer than it is now. In fact, Marquez wouldn't be leading if Lorenzo or Pedrosa weren't injured. Dani had it until his crash knocked him out of contention essentially.

No.

First of all, its all too easy to say that he's only leading the championship because of others misfortunes, but you have to put yourself in the position to capitalise on misfortune in the first place. Marquez has more than done that, which is impressive regardless (how many riders do you know that could handle the pressure of fighting one of the sports greatest for the title?); the fact that he's only in his first season of MotoGP is even more amazing.

Also, Marquez has proven himself more than capable of fighting with and beating the likes of Lorenzo, Rossi and Pedrosa, the first two of which will undoubtedly be remembered as two of the best of all time, if not THE two best of all time.

Finally, you say Pedrosa had it under control before his injury; its one thing to lead a championship, winning it is a completely different ballgame (see Lewis Hamilton 2007, Manchester United 2012, Mark Webber 2010 etc). There's no guarantee that Pedrosa would be leading the title fight if he hadn't been injured; in fact, knowing Pedrosa, he'd have fluffed it somehow anyway :P

So basically, Marquez is easily a worthy champion.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Similar to the situation in MotoGP, where Marquez is leading due to the injuries of Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa. If those injuries didn't limit Pedrosa and Lorenzo, the title race would be much closer than it is now. In fact, Marquez wouldn't be leading if Lorenzo or Pedrosa weren't injured. Dani had it until his crash knocked him out of contention essentially.

No.

First of all, its all too easy to say that he's only leading the championship because of others misfortunes, but you have to put yourself in the position to capitalise on misfortune in the first place. Marquez has more than done that, which is impressive regardless (how many riders do you know that could handle the pressure of fighting one of the sports greatest for the title?); the fact that he's only in his first season of MotoGP is even more amazing.

Also, Marquez has proven himself more than capable of fighting with and beating the likes of Lorenzo, Rossi and Pedrosa, the first two of which will undoubtedly be remembered as two of the best of all time, if not THE two best of all time.

Finally, you say Pedrosa had it under control before his injury; its one thing to lead a championship, winning it is a completely different ballgame (see Lewis Hamilton 2007, Manchester United 2012, Mark Webber 2010 etc). There's no guarantee that Pedrosa would be leading the title fight if he hadn't been injured; in fact, knowing Pedrosa, he'd have fluffed it somehow anyway :P

So basically, Marquez is easily a worthy champion.

This.

I'd also like to add that Marquez has also been injured this year; and within hours of having his shoulder re-located, he was battling for the lead with the two purported greats of this era, finished less than a tenth of a second away from the victory, and beat one of them across the line.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Whelen Modified Tour cars are the best looking racecars in the world.
Trump 2016
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Dark77 wrote:Whelen Modified Tour cars are the best looking racecars in the world.

I, on the other hand, despise them because oh there looks. I think the look to fat at the rear and to long at the front.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Dark77 wrote:Whelen Modified Tour cars are the best looking racecars in the world.

Whatever it is you're smoking, I want some!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

roblomas52 wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Whatever it is you're smoking, I want some!

I, on the other hand, despise them because oh there looks. I think the look to fat at the rear and to long at the front.

Referring to these, I assume?

Douglas Mann likes them because of his success in them. I, however, would like to see them race in the flesh before I pass my definitive opinion.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

I think that a 1991 Lola IndyCar chassis is divine myself.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Well, in my mind, those Whelen Modified Tour cars make a Ssangyong Rodius google it if you dare look like a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Well, in my mind, those Whelen Modified Tour cars make a Ssangyong Rodius google it if you dare look like a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta.

Guys, he's right. I made the mistake of googling it. I now look like this without the smile :mrgreen:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:a Ssangyong Rodius google it if you dare

It looks fantastic ;) :lol:

Or does it look crashtastic? :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

roblomas52 wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

I concur, maybe the only car to be uglier than a Whelen Modified is a Consulier GTP. A mish-mash of ten different cars molded into one sports car and had components of a Dodge Caravan.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Bourdais move to KV Racing is in the same level of Fisichella going to Jordan in 2002.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Being boring doesn't make a series/track bad.
Trump 2016
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dark77 wrote:Being boring doesn't make a series/track bad.

No, but it does affect people's perception of the series/racetrack, and therefore potentially the championship/circuit's long-term viability.

What other factors, in your opinion, would make a track/series bad? Poor safety?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Dj_bereta wrote:Bourdais move to KV Racing is in the same level of Fisichella going to Jordan in 2002.

What series have you been watching? All Dragon Racing have done this year is screw it up when Bourdais has been in a position to win, while KV won the 500 with TK, and have had some exceptional runs at other places as well. There is a reason Jay Penske's mob have nothing to do with Roger's team... :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wizzie wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Bourdais move to KV Racing is in the same level of Fisichella going to Jordan in 2002.

What series have you been watching? All Dragon Racing have done this year is screw it up when Bourdais has been in a position to win, while KV won the 500 with TK, and have had some exceptional runs at other places as well. There is a reason Jay Penske's mob have nothing to do with Roger's team... :P

Remember, this is the same team that thinks having Sebastian Saavedra drive for them is a perfectly sound decision.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

Remember, this is the same team that thinks having Sebastian Saavedra drive for them is a perfectly sound decision.

As long as Saavedra pays it's okay! Oh, that sounds like Dale Coyne back in the day.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

As long as Saavedra pays it's okay! Oh, that sounds like Dale Coyne back in the day.

Back in the day? I thought they were still doing it now with the second car. I mean, how else are they supposed to pay Wilson's wages? :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I think they look nice, not the best looking though. :P

I still have memories of driving those on NASCAR 08.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Wizzie wrote:

The same KV that leaves TK out of fuel in your home race. Also, TK is always strong in Indy 500 and knows how setup the car for this race. Not saying its only TK merit for the victory, but... look at Simona's race. In other hand, Dragon improved in the last races and Bourdais was often fighting with the front runners. I expect Dragon 2014 season, like Renault 2002 season (of course, if the team manage to find some good driver, not another Saavedra :) ). And KV, I don't expect improvements.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
Dark77 wrote:Being boring doesn't make a series/track bad.

No, but it does affect people's perception of the series/racetrack, and therefore potentially the championship/circuit's long-term viability.

What other factors, in your opinion, would make a track/series bad? Poor safety?

A lot of the time a race track has a benefit. In F1, for example, the tracks in most countries provide a lump sum of money to allow a race there. Money is the reason why some of the classic tracks are here now, and some tracks that are newer are here.

In other series, money isn't as relevant by the looks of things. So benefits are harder to find and people will keep on generalizing some tracks as bad. The same for a racing series. People don't have a strong liking for Sprint Car racing because of the poor safety record, but there is great racing to compromise for that.

Honestly, people have their opinions, and we live by our own opinions. If we think a series is bad or a track is bad, it's our opinion to think that. I don't have a strong liking for NASCAR, but the series itself and the racing isn't bad.. So I don't tend to refer to something as bad.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Liquid

Post by Liquid »

John Bintcliffe was unlucky in the BTCC.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

90s F1 isn't the worst thing ever.
Trump 2016
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Dark77 wrote:90s F1 isn't the worst thing ever.

go_Rubens wrote:Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

go_Rubens wrote:Unpopular "Other Motorsport than F1" Opinions
Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Trump 2016
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Muller will thrash Loeb in 2014. No, not thrash, hammer. Or maybe steamroll.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

1998 was the best BTCC season ever.
Trump 2016
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

The Erebus V8 Supercar is THE best sounding racing car in the world right now.

Just listen to that thing go