Correct Grand Prix Titles?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Liquid

Correct Grand Prix Titles?

Post by Liquid »

Could either be a van de Poele or Stoddart issue but still... Something bugs me. It irks me and burns the very fibres of my being.

Inconsistent Grand Prix naming conventions. Why isn't there a standardised rule? Adjectives or nouns. But not both.

Nouns

Luxembourg Grand Prix
Monaco Grand Prix
Singapore Grand Prix
San Marino Grand Prix

Adjectives

British Grand Prix
French Grand Prix
German Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix

Now, I personally prefer using the adjectives because of its construction; an adjective goes before a noun so British Grand Prix is preferable. But at the same time, we should also have Monegasque Grand Prix, Singaporean Grand Prix and we should refer to the San Marinese Grand Prix. I go as so far as to actually use Monegasque or Luxembourgish.

If you want to use nouns, really they should go after the “Grand Prix” as in Grand Prix of Luxembourg, Grand Prix of Monaco and ultimately Grand Prix of Japan, Grand Prix of Germany, Grand Prix of Australia...

Any thoughts on this or are these just the rantings of a madman with too great an eye for grammatical detail?
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: Correct Grand Prix Titles?

Post by Ataxia »

To me, the "Luxembourgish Grand Prix" just doesn't seem right, and the "Sammarinese Grand Prix" and the "Monegasque Grand Prix" will confuse those not endowed with knowledge of the world's more obscure denonyms. Maybe it's not grammatically correct to simply use the country's name, but I think it's a lot simpler. And, of course, less effort to type.

I do, however, have a question. Which is the correct denonym to use for Argentina; is it "Argentinian" or "Argentine"?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

You bring up a good point.
I, however, am glad that F1's GP titles are quite simple and somewhat always consistent.
Like this weekends 'Airtel Indian Grand Prix'.

Unlike Nascar races which changes titles all the time and are long in pronounciations, examples:

'Crown Royal Presents The Samuel Deeds 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway'
or
'Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International'
or
'Party in the Poconos 400 Presented by Walmart at Pocono Raceway'
or
'GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway'
-*:-
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

See, it could be both for Argentina. Same goes for Luxembourg actually. Either Luxembourgish or Luxembourgean. I go for Luxembourgish because it's the closest to their own adjective Lëtzebuergesch.

As a language and grammar nerd, I just find these things irritating. Grand Prix of Luxembourg/Britain/Spain/Europe is fine but it should be Luxembourgish/British/Spanish/European Grand Prix.

Oh and the NASCAR names... bloody hell, let's not open that can of worms.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Liquid wrote:As a language and grammar nerd, I just find these things irritating. Grand Prix of Luxembourg/Britain/Spain/Europe is fine but it should be Luxembourgish/British/Spanish/European Grand Prix.

*Europeish
:)
-*:-
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's always annoyed me too, I've always wanted Singaporean/Monégasque/etc.. I guess Monégasque would bring up some questions, but how the hell would you not know where the Singaporean or Bahraini GPs are?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Liquid wrote:See, it could be both for Argentina. Same goes for Luxembourg actually. Either Luxembourgish or Luxembourgean. I go for Luxembourgish because it's the closest to their own adjective Lëtzebuergesch.

As a language and grammar nerd, I just find these things irritating. Grand Prix of Luxembourg/Britain/Spain/Europe is fine but it should be Luxembourgish/British/Spanish/European Grand Prix.

Oh and the NASCAR names... bloody hell, let's not open that can of worms.

It's a good thing that the NASCAR races are at the same tracks year after year otherwise that can of worms would be even more confusing. NASCAR hasn't had a new addition to the Sprint Cup schedule since 2001 and only one track removed from it in that period (Rockingham in North Carolina).
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

To be correct, it should be 'Grand Prix of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg'
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

LG and Pirelli present The Verizon 192 at Circuit of The Americas....oh wait....

(yes i did the math)
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Liquid wrote:Could either be a van de Poele or Stoddart issue but still... Something bugs me. It irks me and burns the very fibres of my being.

Inconsistent Grand Prix naming conventions. Why isn't there a standardised rule? Adjectives or nouns. But not both.

Nouns

Luxembourg Grand Prix
Monaco Grand Prix
Singapore Grand Prix
San Marino Grand Prix

Adjectives

British Grand Prix
French Grand Prix
German Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix

Now, I personally prefer using the adjectives because of its construction; an adjective goes before a noun so British Grand Prix is preferable. But at the same time, we should also have Monegasque Grand Prix, Singaporean Grand Prix and we should refer to the San Marinese Grand Prix. I go as so far as to actually use Monegasque or Luxembourgish.

If you want to use nouns, really they should go after the “Grand Prix” as in Grand Prix of Luxembourg, Grand Prix of Monaco and ultimately Grand Prix of Japan, Grand Prix of Germany, Grand Prix of Australia...

Any thoughts on this or are these just the rantings of a madman with too great an eye for grammatical detail?

I always thought that's what it was, Learned something new today. Could be worse, the French Grand Prix used to be the Grand Prix l'ACO.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

nome66 wrote:LG and Pirelli present The Verizon 192 at Circuit of The Americas....oh wait....

(yes i did the math)

This is what a NASCAR race would be called there just replace Pirelli with Goodyear.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Shell and Johnnie Walker present The Rolex 162 at Port de Monaco
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

OK, all letters are not visible there but this is a bit confusing

1993, and this classic race was titled as "European Grand Prix", the name also including title sponsor.

1995, the race title is in local language, which in this case was German. Understandable and it is no different to Grosser Preis von Deutschland.

1997, the race title in English although the race was in Spain. Now the race title has been changed compared to what it was in 1993. The race is titled as "Grand Prix of Europe"

1999 This confirms the previous change, while the race has returned to Nürburgring.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Totally off-topic but I love just how cheesed off Alesi looks on the 1995 podium.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Wallio wrote:
Liquid wrote:Could either be a van de Poele or Stoddart issue but still... Something bugs me. It irks me and burns the very fibres of my being.

Nouns

Luxembourg Grand Prix
Monaco Grand Prix
Singapore Grand Prix
San Marino Grand Prix

Adjectives

British Grand Prix
French Grand Prix
German Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix

I always thought that's what it was, Learned something new today. Could be worse, the French Grand Prix used to be the Grand Prix l'ACO.

Actually, it was the Grand Prix de l'ACF (Automobile Club de France), while the ACO (Automobile Club de l'Ouest) is a regional governing body for Western France, which is only well-known because it's organized the 24 heures du Mans from its first running ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?