2014 Engine issues - already

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
razta

2014 Engine issues - already

Post by razta »

According to Omnicourse.it it has been revealed that the 100kg of fuel limit per race isn't gonna work..
As the Turbo engines are proving to be "unstable" in fuel consumption..

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/32395/ ... -i-consumi

Google translated as:
'Engine roar. They are worried and afraid of surprises. Regulation of Formula 1 in 2014 that requires the adoption of V6 turbo direct-injection 1.6-liter, limiting fuel consumption to 100 kg per hour . The Grand Prix, therefore, they risk becoming an economy run? The question is legitimate. Luca Marmorini , head of the department of Ferrari engines, in an interesting interview with Fulvio Solms the Corriere dello Sport said there will be times when pilots should guide thinking about the fuel economy and other stages of the race in which will seek to exploit the full potential of the car. TRAINS FROM ECONOMY RUN? aretino The engineer suggested that, for some stages of the race, you might form "trains" of cars in the wake in an attempt to limit the consumption of petrol . The concern, then, is that the most difficult on the slopes there may be the risk to remain standing if not implemented the appropriate strategies. VARIABLE FUEL The concern of engineers, however, is not linked to the strategies that should be adopted in the championship, 2014 ( every manufacturer is already making his Grand Prix simulations) as in the ability to control the FIA in full respect of the notorious 100 kg per hour. The "flow", which is being tested on the V6 Turbo, in fact, at the time it fails to give stable data. The American company that is developing the appropriate electronic technology seems to be in trouble in dealing with the measurement of consumption, because the "reading" varies depending on the type of fuel that is used and not only, for which at the moment seems almost impossible to guarantee a effective tool that puts everyone on equal footing. UNSTABLE FLOW! 'engine have been able to verify that by changing certain characteristics of gasoline (for example, its volatility or elements anti-detonating) changes the consumption read on the "flow". We are in November and has not yet found an effective solution to solve the problem brilliantly. The technicians of the FIA are bristling at what the engineers because the first tests in 2014 there are only a couple of months and then the thorny issue must be resolved in a clear and satisfactory to all, otherwise it will open a hole in regulation that is likely to send a dot expectations on fuel economy, but also to allow more "clever" to take full advantage ...
roblo97

Re: 2014 Engine issues - already

Post by roblo97 »

I always had a gut instinct that the turbo engines would be a bad idea. This has only proved me correct ;)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Given this comes from Ferrari, who are alleged to have by far the weakest engine, I find it a little suspect.

On another note, not only F1 but also the World Endurance Championship are moving to fuel flow limitations.
The problem however is that the FIA can't provide enough of these limiters, meaning that F1 and WEC teams have to share them.
Possible scenario: Audi uses one for a week and then sends it to Ferrari who use it for a week and send it back after that week.
Meanwhile, Audi can't do anything with the engine, because the limiter isn't there. It's bathplugging ridiculous, well done FIA well done!
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

razta wrote:According to Omnicourse.it it has been revealed that the 100kg of fuel limit per race isn't gonna work..

100kg of fuel are about 135liters. So that makes about 45litres/100km.
Right now the engines need, depending on the curcuit, around 65 litres per 100km.

So, of course it is not going to work!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

If this is indeed true, we're gonna end up with races where everyone has to push their car over the line ala Nigel Mansell at Dallas. This has the potential to be a reject goldmine. :lol:

Of course, it also makes F1 look like a complete and abject joke (if it isn't already). 2014 BTCC looks more promising by the minute in contrast.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Zetec wrote:
razta wrote:According to Omnicourse.it it has been revealed that the 100kg of fuel limit per race isn't gonna work..

100kg of fuel are about 135 litres. So that makes about 6.4 mpg.
Right now the engines need, depending on the curcuit, around 4 mpg.

Translated into British mpg (American mpg is going to be a bit different due to having smaller pints and gallons...). (Just for reference)

razta wrote: TRAINS FROM ECONOMY RUN? aretino The engineer suggested that, for some stages of the race, you might form "trains" of cars in the wake in an attempt to limit the consumption of petrol . The concern, then, is that the most difficult on the slopes there may be the risk to remain standing if not implemented the appropriate strategies.

A return of the Trulli Train?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Zetec wrote:

100kg of fuel are about 135liters. So that makes about 45litres/100km.
Right now the engines need, depending on the curcuit, around 65 litres per 100km.

Yes but the v6s will be making much much less power. Only about 600bhp when not using KERS, so they'll need a bit less than the v8s. It'll all work out.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

The Dutch Bear wrote:Given this comes from Ferrari, who are alleged to have by far the weakest engine, I find it a little suspect.

On another note, not only F1 but also the World Endurance Championship are moving to fuel flow limitations.
The problem however is that the FIA can't provide enough of these limiters, meaning that F1 and WEC teams have to share them.
Possible scenario: Audi uses one for a week and then sends it to Ferrari who use it for a week and send it back after that week.
Meanwhile, Audi can't do anything with the engine, because the limiter isn't there. It's bathplugging ridiculous, well done FIA well done!

It isn't necessarily totally implausible - Sutil mentioned earlier this year that he expected to see drivers fail to finish because they had run out of fuel before the end of the race, so I imagine that there might be some fuel management issues in the opening races in 2014.

As Wallio rightly points out, to a certain extent the issue should be partially mitigated by the fact that the engines, by themselves, will be producing less power - moreover, some of the newer technologies which are being allowed should help with fuel consumption (for example, raising the allowable fuel injection pressure from 100 bar to 500 bar). Still, I do expect that the drivers will have to turn the engines down for at least part of the race - moreover, I am not exactly surprised that the company behind the fuel flow sensors is having issues too given how rapidly the fuel flow through the lines is going to fluctuate.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

East Londoner wrote:If this is indeed true, we're gonna end up with races where everyone has to push their car over the line ala Nigel Mansell at Dallas. This has the potential to be a reject goldmine. :lol:

The below piece of footage also says hello!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuEvuyyy4k
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

Wallio wrote:Yes but the v6s will be making much much less power. Only about 600bhp when not using KERS, so they'll need a bit less than the v8s. It'll all work out.

But, a 1.6 litre engine with a turbo is, depending on the size of the turbo, equal with a 2.0 to 2.6 litre displacement engine. You can push far more air into the engine with a turbo, and the ratio between air and fuel stays the same... So more air, more fuel.
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

The Dutch Bear wrote:On another note, not only F1 but also the World Endurance Championship are moving to fuel flow limitations.

:D :D :D ...limiter comes back to Ferrari covered in diesel... :D :D :D
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

I agree with DutchBear, this is most likely to be a Ferrari problem, and I don't expect it to be much of a problem.

Of course now Massa has signed for Williams he won't be required to drive around for 30 laps in the Monza race with Alonso sitting just behind him getting a tow and saving his fuel for the last few laps.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I also don't expect this to be a problem. If it were, it would have been reported much earlier than mid-November, with just four months to go for the first race. And, if we actually do see people running out of fuel, then great! Managing fuel consumption would become another variable, and certainly much more in line with today's world than the fuel-burning qualifying laps of not so long ago. Still, with so many electronic sensors and telemetry in the cars I'm sure they will be able to manage it.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!