Question about 1950-1960 Indy 500 drivers...

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Cynon

Question about 1950-1960 Indy 500 drivers...

Post by Cynon »

Question... do drivers that ran the Indy 500 from 1950 to 1960 exclusively count as F1 rejects? Because during that time, the Indy 500 was a part of the World Championship.

If that is the case, does this mean that A.J. Foyt, who is seen as the greatest racing driver of all time, qualifies for reject status?! :shock:
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
jonnyeol

Re: Question about 1950-1960 Indy 500 drivers...

Post by jonnyeol »

I think the whole DECISION to make the 1950-1960 Indy 500 count qualifies as a reject, since the two racing series were otherwise unrelated. Usually the F1 records 'ignore' the Indy 500 (so Johnnie Parsons is only sometime listed as being one of only 3 men to win his first GP - did the Indy 500 even COUNT as a Grand Prix).
Zsolt Baumgartner. There - I Said It.
Ide

Post by Ide »

Does anyone know if any of the European drivers at the time attempted to qualify during the '50-'60 period? I'm aware that Ascari attempted the race and didn't do all that well, did any other driver make an effort during the time?
If there's a car to crash in your neighbourhood,
Who you gonna call?
Yuji Ide!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Ide wrote:Does anyone know if any of the European drivers at the time attempted to qualify during the '50-'60 period? I'm aware that Ascari attempted the race and didn't do all that well, did any other driver make an effort during the time?

The only European (apart from Ascari) I could find out to have attempted qualifying in Indy 500 between 1950-60 was a Belgian who went by the name Charles Van Acker, in 1950. And he never raced F1. And in 1957 Giuseppe Farina attempted to take part, but his car was destroyed by his team mate. However, Jack Brabham finished 9th in 1961, but he's not European and Indy 500 was not a part of the F1 Championship anymore then.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nuppiz wrote:
Ide wrote:Does anyone know if any of the European drivers at the time attempted to qualify during the '50-'60 period? I'm aware that Ascari attempted the race and didn't do all that well, did any other driver make an effort during the time?

The only European (apart from Ascari) I could find out to have attempted qualifying in Indy 500 between 1950-60 was a Belgian who went by the name Charles Van Acker, in 1950. And he never raced F1. And in 1957 Giuseppe Farina attempted to take part, but his car was destroyed by his team mate. However, Jack Brabham finished 9th in 1961, but he's not European and Indy 500 was not a part of the F1 Championship anymore then.

As far as I'm aware, that's about it. In the sixties, when it wasn't counting as a F1 race anymore, more drivers gave it a go. But in the 50's transportation was a big problem. Doing the 500 meant you would miss at least one GP (mostly the Monaco). The cars had to be transported by ocean liner, which took a lot of time.
"A Ferrari is a scaled down version of God" - Jeremy Clarkson
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Cynon wrote:If that is the case, does this mean that A.J. Foyt, who is seen as the greatest racing driver of all time, qualifies for reject status?! :shock:
Is this a time without the likes of Senna and Schumacher and Fangio and Moss and Prost and Clark and Stewart and Ascari and Lauda and Rindt and Hill and Piquet and Mansell and Brabham and Rosberg?
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Cynon wrote:If that is the case, does this mean that A.J. Foyt, who is seen as the greatest racing driver of all time, qualifies for reject status?! :shock:
Is this a time without the likes of Senna and Schumacher and Fangio and Moss and Prost and Clark and Stewart and Ascari and Lauda and Rindt and Hill and Piquet and Mansell and Brabham and Rosberg?

Lest we forget Rosemeyer, Varzi, Andretti, Nuvolari, Lavaggi, Ickx, and Fittipaldi. Foyt must have been in that parallel universe where everything spins in anti-clockwise circles...
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

RejectSteve wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

Lest we forget Rosemeyer, Varzi, Andretti, Nuvolari, Lavaggi, Ickx, and Fittipaldi. Foyt must have been in that parallel universe where everything spins in anti-clockwise circles...

Well, he does come from that strange and confusing land where only one country competes in World Series Baseball and the metric system doesn't exist. For the "Greatest Racing Driver of All Time", AJ Foyt didn't score many points in Formula One. in fact, if my memory is correct, he didn't score any.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Captain Hammer wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Is this a time without the likes of Senna and Schumacher and Fangio and Moss and Prost and Clark and Stewart and Ascari and Lauda and Rindt and Hill and Piquet and Mansell and Brabham and Rosberg?

Well, he does come from that strange and confusing land where only one country competes in World Series Baseball and the metric system doesn't exist. For the "Greatest Racing Driver of All Time", AJ Foyt didn't score many points in Formula One. in fact, if my memory is correct, he didn't score any.

HWNSNBM scored 1 point.
Enough said...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I know Jim Clark won the Indy 500, but by then, it didnt count towards F1
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Talk about resurrecting a thread!
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Sorry. I dint know somebody had resurrected it. I just seen it as newly posted and presumed it was new :?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Collieafc wrote:Sorry. I dint know somebody had resurrected it. I just seen it as newly posted and presumed it was new :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :o
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA