The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Salamander

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:And who is going to replace him? TK will get the #10? Tagliani finally have the chance to shine?

Well TK was going there regardless, so you can assume that Ganassi will be fielding 4 cars regardless next year. This does leave Ganassi in an interesting position - if this was known straight away, you can bet they'dve snapped up Hinchtown, but he's off the market. They might try and grab Carlos Munoz or Sage Karam - with Dixon and Kanaan on board, and Charlie Kimball coming in to his own, they have the room to develop a rookie. However, if they want to get a known commodity, then I'd have to say the top choice given the current market... would be Simona de Silvestro. :D

Here's hoping they give Simona the break she deserves.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Wouldn't have happened if there weren't so many street circuits on the calendar. You don't get thrown into the fence at Mid Ohio or Barber, you'd be hard pressed to hit one if you tried. Also, if the Dallara wasn't such a failure and piece of shite.

Really troubling.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:And who is going to replace him? TK will get the #10? Tagliani finally have the chance to shine?

Well TK was going there regardless, so you can assume that Ganassi will be fielding 4 cars regardless next year. This does leave Ganassi in an interesting position - if this was known straight away, you can bet they'dve snapped up Hinchtown, but he's off the market. They might try and grab Carlos Munoz or Sage Karam - with Dixon and Kanaan on board, and Charlie Kimball coming in to his own, they have the room to develop a rookie. However, if they want to get a known commodity, then I'd have to say the top choice given the current market... would be Simona de Silvestro. :D

Here's hoping they give Simona the break she deserves.

I personally expect Karam or de Silvestro as Munoz is rumored to be the Viso replacement thanks to the Venezuela government cutting off the PDVSA funding to auto racers from Venezuela.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:Wouldn't have happened if there weren't so many street circuits on the calendar. You don't get thrown into the fence at Mid Ohio or Barber, you'd be hard pressed to hit one if you tried. Also, if the Dallara wasn't such a failure and piece of shite.

Really troubling.

Dallara haven't figured out how to build a car that doesn't fly easily. Although there will never be a solution, the situation can be improved. Unfortunately, cheap options come with cheap quality, and that's exactly what happened with Dallara.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Former Honda F1 test driver Mike Conway joins the Vision/Walker squad for the road and street courses of the 2014 IndyCar season to alternate in the #20 car with driver/owner Ed Carpenter.

http://www.edcarpenterracing.com/ECR-Ad ... 14-In.news

Here's hoping we'll see the Walker car in victory lane again soon.

I have commented elsewhere about the retirement of one of my favourite drivers, Dario Franchitti, and will not copy and paste it to this place.

Sorry guys, but even the little things count against shoespam: just imagine a percentage of worn out leather inside of those canned meat cans, mixed together with all the other ingredients ... ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:Wouldn't have happened if there weren't so many street circuits on the calendar. You don't get thrown into the fence at Mid Ohio or Barber, you'd be hard pressed to hit one if you tried. Also, if the Dallara wasn't such a failure and piece of shite.

Really troubling.

Dallara haven't figured out how to build a car that doesn't fly easily. Although there will never be a solution, the situation can be improved. Unfortunately, cheap options come with cheap quality, and that's exactly what happened with Dallara.

And the cheapest solutions to stop flying come from using heavier materials which will reduce speeds. That means less Carbon Fiber.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Just what are some alternatives to carbon fiber anyways? Forgive me for being not well aware of other building materials... :S
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aerospeed wrote:Just what are some alternatives to carbon fiber anyways? Forgive me for being not well aware of other building materials... :S

Lego.

Of course, Lego racing cars have been around for a while. Here is a Toleman F1 car from the early- to mid-1980s (well-known for its distinctive double rear wing):

A late-1970s/early 1980s Ferrari:

Lego racing cars date back as far as the 1960s:

Before Lego, Meccano used to be a choice for some manufacturers:

Meccano was used by the Renault F1 team more recently, but I believe it remained unraced:

I suppose you could also consider match sticks:

There's the option of chocolate:

...And bread:

...And cake!

So as you can see, there are a choice of materials available that can be used! And at a fraction of the cost of carbon fibre!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Aerospeed wrote:Just what are some alternatives to carbon fiber anyways? Forgive me for being not well aware of other building materials... :S

Aluminum was rather popular before carbon fiber was used. Fiberglass is also a viable alternative save for all those splinters when it does break.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

The only trouble with cake and chocolate is that there might not be any left at the start of the race because people would have eaten it :lol:

On a more serious note...
This looks promising and best of all, it's British!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

dr-baker wrote:Image

Look! It's a Leyton House-Mercedes!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Really troubling.

Lower the nose. Again, lower the nose and front wings, and shape them so that they just scoop up cars in front. A problem in this case would be if a car spins in backwards and ramps over a car that way, but the only instance I can think of where that happened was Scott Sharp at New Hampshire in 1994...

... but granted, single seaters worldwide have been obsessed with raising the noses, and yet nobody can figure out why cars go flying these days more than they did in the past... -_-
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Aluminum was rather popular before carbon fiber was used. Fiberglass is also a viable alternative save for all those splinters when it does break.

There's a reason that aluminium isn't used; it tends to ignite.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

That's Magnesium, not Aluminium. Aluminium doesn't ignite, but its slightly heavier that Magnesium.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Frentzen127 wrote:That's Magnesium, not Aluminium. Aluminium doesn't ignite, but its slightly heavier that Magnesium.

Magnesium was what we started to see in the 1970s and resulted in many drivers suffering burns.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Frentzen127 wrote:That's Magnesium, not Aluminium. Aluminium doesn't ignite, but its slightly heavier that Magnesium.

Magnesium was what we started to see in the 1970s and resulted in many drivers suffering burns.

The use of magnesium was the reason behind Jo Schlesser's tragic death in 1968...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yeah sorry, I'm thinking of the thermite reaction. It's not really reactive in other circumstances.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Ataxia wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

The use of magnesium was the reason behind Jo Schlesser's tragic death in 1968...

It was also what caused the disaster at LeMans in the 1950s.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Russians are invading IndyCar now. :o

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111513
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

East Londoner wrote:The Russians are invading IndyCar now. :o

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111513

Any chance Vitaly Petrov follows?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

WOOHOOO Welcome Back, buddy!
glad he missed out on the v8 era of both open wheel series, as it turns out.
time to take away two pistons and crank up the boost pressure!

and did you see that caterpillar on power? damn!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

And there goes JPM's 100% Indy 500 win percentage.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:And there goes JPM's 100% Indy 500 win percentage.

Not so fast. After all, he will drive a Penske car.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Yannick wrote:

That's not a guaranteed win. Besides, he's been away from single-seaters for way too long.
Everything's great.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Salamander wrote:
Yannick wrote:

That's not a guaranteed win. Besides, he's been away from single-seaters for way too long.

Indeed, it is not. But nonetheless, it gives him a good chance. It will be exciting to see how he does in the race.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Yannick wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Yannick wrote:

Indeed, it is not. But nonetheless, it gives him a good chance. It will be exciting to see how he does in the race.

Not really. Penske have had nothing on Andretti on the ovals in recent years, apart from Fontana where Michael's mob dropped the ball massively.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i think it's a little funny how one of my friends who had met JPM back in '10 in Dover asked him witch direction of Indianapolis' turn 1/f1 turn 13 he prefers, when he just going to do both(sorta) next season.

btw if i remember correctly he said clockwise. i don't blame him. give it a boot-full in a BMW v10 williams, turn right and hang on!

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:
Yannick wrote:

Allmendinger was leading a good chunk of the race after a similarly long hiatus, but lost his touch on the road courses and street circuits where he once shined. The chance is certainly there but not even Rick Mears won all of the 500s he entered in.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

They should have gone with Simona in the fourth car, with Briscoe spending another year at Panther. Good luck to the guy anyway. He's gonna need it if he wants to impress with teammates like that.

What it does though is throw up some very interesting questions on where Paul di Resta will end up next year if he is coming stateside, as he was one of the favourites for the fourth Ganassi ride. Most of the teams with rides still available need someone with both talent and money, not someone with the ego the size of a small solar system. He MIGHT get the second KV seat at a stretch, but he'll probably end up with either Foyt or Rahal next year.

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
Salamander wrote:
Yannick wrote:

Allmendinger was leading a good chunk of the race after a similarly long hiatus, but lost his touch on the road courses and street circuits where he once shined. The chance is certainly there but not even Rick Mears won all of the 500s he entered in.

Yeah, but any one of a dozen or so drivers could have won the 500 this year. Hell, even the Mayor of Hinchtown himself stood half a chance with some well-timed yellows, and he spent the entire month of May being absolutely thrashed by the other four cars in the Andretti stable.
Last edited by TomWazzleshaw on 14 Dec 2013, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It is at this point that I predict a return to DTM.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

So Simona may remain with KV?
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AxelP800 wrote:So Simona may remain with KV?

I've heard her in connection with the second Coyne car... but then again, Arie Luyendyk Jr is supposedly also in the running for that seat. :|
Everything's great.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

soooooo is the "different aero-setups for different teams" thing happening this season, or am i wasting my time asking?

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Don't know ^

But I do know that I'm very curious about how JPM will do in the first couple of races. Rusty? Worthless? Brilliant?
Hope he does well in any case.
-*:-
nome66

Post by nome66 »

probably a bit rusty. i imagine in competition, he'll be more aggressive than someone who hadn't switched from open wheel racing to "have at it boys" fender-banging.

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

In the "proof-God-exists" department, Danica has announced she's giving up on IndyCar. Too many glamour shoots I suppose. In a far less reported, but much more important, detail, Kurt Busch is "70% sure" he's doing the double this year. And with AA toboot!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Wallio wrote:In the "proof-God-exists" department, Danica has announced she's giving up on IndyCar. Too many glamour shoots I suppose. In a far less reported, but much more important, detail, Kurt Busch is "70% sure" he's doing the double this year. And with AA toboot!

Only 70%? Still, it'll be interesting how he fares in the Indy 500 :)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Aerospeed wrote:
Wallio wrote:In the "proof-God-exists" department, Danica has announced she's giving up on IndyCar. Too many glamour shoots I suppose. In a far less reported, but much more important, detail, Kurt Busch is "70% sure" he's doing the double this year. And with AA toboot!

Only 70%? Still, it'll be interesting how he fares in the Indy 500 :)

I find Busch as a bit of an arse, but I don't care now. This is something I will watch. :)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.