2014 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
UncreativeUsername37

Re: 2014 Silly Season Thread

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

East Londoner wrote:Evidently Mr Sutil didn't watch F1 before 2004, when it was more than likely that half the field would be parked at the side of the track by the time the chequered flag fell. And yet, I haven't seen any criticism of unreliability during that era...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/28532/9105788/exclusive-adrian-sutil-excited-about-fresh-start-with-sauber

Fixed.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

FullMetalJack wrote:
East Londoner wrote:
Adrian Sutil wrote:"We don't want to see races where all the cars are failing and having problems everywhere. At the end of the day Formula 1 is a show and the pinnacle of motorsport and the top range of racing - it stands out for engineering power - and if that doesn't go well and all you see is cars breaking down, then that is not the image you want to see for Formula 1."

Evidently Mr Sutil didn't watch F1 in the mid-to-late 1990s, when it was more than likely that half the field would be parked at the side of the track by the time the chequered flag fell. And yet, I haven't seen any criticism of unreliability during that era...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/28532/9105788/exclusive-adrian-sutil-excited-about-fresh-start-with-sauber

I'd love to see a bit of unreliability, it's been 6 years since we saw a race with proper attrition.

Australia '08 was a real cracker of a race, not only attrition, but a DSQ. Chaos ensued, plus good drivers like Räikkönen screwing up the whole race. Both Ferraris blow up engines, 9 retirements related to accidents, and lots of other good stuff. Demolition derby the safe F1 way.

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Evidently Mr Sutil didn't watch F1 before 2004, when it was more than likely that half the field would be parked at the side of the track by the time the chequered flag fell. And yet, I haven't seen any criticism of unreliability during that era...

Fixed.

Well, 2003 was a better year for reliability to years past as well, wasn't it?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

I've always liked to link the increase in reliability with the top 8 scoring points (finishing races became more important than before), but probably they are mostly unrelated.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Yeah there should always be one race where you have half the field gone, cause they generally make great races, Australia 08, Australia 02 and Monaco 96. As well as proberly plenty more I cant think of.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Basetornado wrote:Yeah there should always be one race where you have half the field gone, cause they generally make great races, Australia 08, Australia 02 and Monaco 96. As well as proberly plenty more I cant think of.

Belgium 98 called... ;)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AdrianSutil wrote:
Basetornado wrote:Yeah there should always be one race where you have half the field gone, cause they generally make great races, Australia 08, Australia 02 and Monaco 96. As well as proberly plenty more I cant think of.

Belgium 98 called... ;)

Brazil 2003 on line 2.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Our Twitter friend Taki Inoue has just shared this image.

It remains to be seen if the McLaren does turn out like that. That nose is something else entirely. Can't we just have the early 1990s low noses back, or the 2009 Brawn nose, and stick with that?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

East Londoner wrote:
Adrian Sutil wrote:"We don't want to see races where all the cars are failing and having problems everywhere. At the end of the day Formula 1 is a show and the pinnacle of motorsport and the top range of racing - it stands out for engineering power - and if that doesn't go well and all you see is cars breaking down, then that is not the image you want to see for Formula 1."

Evidently Mr Sutil didn't watch F1 in the mid-to-late 1990s, when it was more than likely that half the field would be parked at the side of the track by the time the chequered flag fell. And yet, I haven't seen any criticism of unreliability during that era...

One more reason to dislike Sutil (not that there weren't enough already) as he is plainly wrong!
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Our Twitter friend Taki Inoue has just shared this image.

It remains to be seen if the McLaren does turn out like that. That nose is something else entirely. Can't we just have the early 1990s low noses back, or the 2009 Brawn nose, and stick with that?

The indication is that the FIA preferred to have something closer to the BGP001 nose section as it believes that, were the driver to strike a car in front of him, that it considerably reduces the chances of the car riding up over the rear wheel and being launched into the air. The teams, however, prefer to have higher noses for performance reasons - so, in the end, what we have is an ugly compromise between the two extremes.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

East Londoner wrote:Our Twitter friend Taki Inoue has just shared this image.

I don't think we'll see noses like the one in the image. The teams will try to get as much air under the car as possible. This design doesn't let more air under the car than the BGP001. So the "anteater"-Design will be more likely.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

That actually looks better than the designs these guys are claiming will be the 2014 cars.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Aerospeed wrote:That actually looks better than the designs these guys are claiming will be the 2014 cars.

Its as if the noses have went full circle back to the pre-1990 Tyrrells!
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Aerospeed wrote:That actually looks better than the designs these guys are claiming will be the 2014 cars.

That's a disgrace considering what they were claiming the cars would look like late last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl39E64jXOU

That one from last year looks so much better. Although it's been a long while since F1 cars looked downright disgusting, so a change would be a good thing if we wanted to shout out REJECTFUL. There's a bright side after all!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Force India are allegedly using a "stepped chassis design". Certainly an interesting take on things...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:Force India are allegedly using a "stepped chassis design". Certainly an interesting take on things...

So long as the car looks good, then I'm cool with it.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Wallio wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:

Belgium 98 called... ;)

Brazil 2003 on line 2.....

Haha how could I forget the race where ny favorite driver won his first race.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

roblomas52 wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Force India are allegedly using a "stepped chassis design". Certainly an interesting take on things...

So long as the car looks good, then I'm cool with it.

Even if it doesn't, I still am. Mid-wings were kind of ugly, but they still had their immense novelty value.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

You know, even if we have the "thing-shaped" noses, low noses, and the stepped noses, like the one in the preview of a McLaren posted above, it will at least show that there are multiple ways to take on a regulation change that someone didn't see or think beforehand. It also shows that with these different solutions, cars can be recognizable now based on looks outside the livery. Plus, some of these previews remind me of the good, bad, or ugly of some of the older F1 designs, which will improve my looks on the chassis if it looks like an older car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

There's going to be so many broken nosecones and punctures if those wings show up!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Hi all,

I'm in a position to confirm :mrgreen: that I will be attending the Jerez tests in January 28th. As it will be the first day of the new engines and cars, it will probably be interesting, although it's likely that we won't see too much running in the morning.

This would belong in a pre-season testing thread, but as there is none open and I think it's too early to start one, I guess it will be okay here.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'll miss this thread when it's finally retired. There's been some highs and some lows but all in all its been an interesting ride.
Just For One Day...
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Ferrim wrote:Hi all,

I'm in a position to confirm :mrgreen: that I will be attending the Jerez tests in January 28th. As it will be the first day of the new engines and cars, it will probably be interesting, although it's likely that we won't see too much running in the morning.

This would belong in a pre-season testing thread, but as there is none open and I think it's too early to start one, I guess it will be okay here.

Plus if the new new tyres are shite, youll be the first to know.
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Hahaha so true! :lol:

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

If its wet, then you are in for some big prangs.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Nah. If it rains, we will see the SC turning around the track for eight hours. :lol:

mario

Post by mario »

Basetornado wrote:

Plus if the new new tyres are shite, youll be the first to know.

I wouldn't necessarily say so - remember, Bridgestone suffered from terrible graining issues in 2009 when they introduced their slicks in the first test session due to abnormally cold conditions, leading to some critical remarks from the teams and drivers at the time. However, when they went to the next test session (Valencia IIRC), they showed that in fact those issues were something of a one off. By contrast, Pirelli's tyres seemed relatively robust in 2011 at the first test session, but it was the next session in warmer conditions that showed that those tyres were relatively sensitive to thermal degradation issues that had been masked in the previous test.

Enough of that though - it sounds as if you're going to be in for something of a treat on the 28th if the weather holds, and it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the drivers adapt to the new cars.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Whole Spanish Press

Post by Whole Spanish Press »

Two more cents.

Formula 1- Noticias: a facebook site in spanish credited for stating the already obvious (and usually well after F1rejects) cites finnish Turun Sanomat newspaper reporting Kamui Kobayashi went to Caterham HQ recently (just that, recently), having (for once) good shaped financial backing, and being strong contender for a drive with them in 2014. Kovalainen almost discarded since has no funding at all. Other runner-ups are Charles Pic, Giedo Van der Garde and Marcus Ericsson.

Kamui lovers: War paint and banners! Now!

they link here: http://www.f1aldia.com/21902/kovalainen ... rham-2014/ (but not turun Sanomat, BTW)

... with the excepction that F1aldia.com states that Kovalainen is still on the run for grabbing a place there.
The Whole Spanish Press: Best Troll-to-Troll weapon platform since 2009.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Daniel Ricciardo has confirmed on Twitter he will race with No 3.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Numbers, people!

Code: Select all

2014 F1 entry list so far in numerical order:

#   Driver             Team/Car
1   Sebastian Vettel   Red Bull-Renault (#5 when not reigning champion)
3   Daniel Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault
6   Nico Rosberg       Mercedes
7   Kimi Raikkonen     Ferrari
8   Romain Grosjean    Lotus-Renault
11  Sergio Perez       Force India-Mercedes
13  Pastor Maldonado   Lotus-Renault
14  Fernando Alonso    Ferrari
17  Jules Bianchi      Marussia-Ferrari
19  Felipe Massa       Williams-Mercedes
20  Kevin Magnussen    McLaren-Mercedes
21  Esteban Gutierrez  Sauber-Ferrari
22  Jenson Button      McLaren-Mercedes
25  Jean-Eric Vergne   Toro Rosso-Renault
26  Daniil Kvyat       Toro Rosso-Renault
27  Nico Hulkenberg    Force India-Mercedes
44  Lewis Hamilton     Mercedes
77  Valtteri Bottas    Williams-Mercedes
99  Adrian Sutil       Sauber-Ferrari
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Maldonado gets no.13?! Then he is the first person to run under that number since Divina Galica in 1976.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Note that the FIA entry list has Marussia and Lotus as 'Subject to confirmation'. Also, although he has no number, Chilton is listed with Marussia, which I think qualifies as a confirmed driver.
Last edited by GwilymJJames on 10 Jan 2014, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

It seems that Hulkenberg chose #27... hmm... I think I know where his ambitions lie...
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Sutil got 99 problems, but Eric Lux ain't one of them.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Only three driver with abnormally-high numbers. I understand the BO77AS one but can someone explain Hamilton's choice of 44 and Sutil's with 99?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

AdrianSutil wrote:Only three driver with abnormally-high numbers. I understand the BO77AS one but can someone explain Hamilton's choice of 44 and Sutil's with 99?

44 was Hamilton's number in karting: see here. I wonder if he still has his lucky conker.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Obviously, Sutil has heard of our Car Numbers Alternative Championship and wanted to maximize his chances. ;)
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Can Ligier make a comeback and buy out Toro Rosso? ;-)

Also I wish Kimi had stayed at Lotus, then Lotus would have had the numbers they would have been supposed to have anyway. :lol:
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:shock: :lol: Maldonado in #13 .....

Really???!
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Code: Select all

2014 F1 entry list so far in numerical order:

#   Driver             Team/Car
1   Sebastian Vettel   Red Bull-Renault (#5 when not reigning champion)
2   Mark Webber        Red Bull-Renault
3   Daniel Ricciardo   Red Bull-Renault

Sorry, couldn't avoid to fix the obvious gap :lol: #NotBadForANumberTwoDriver!

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Backmarker wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Only three driver with abnormally-high numbers. I understand the BO77AS one but can someone explain Hamilton's choice of 44 and Sutil's with 99?

44 was Hamilton's number in karting: see here. I wonder if he still has his lucky conker.

There is another possible explanation, involving a BTCC crash magnet. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l