The _TCC Series Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: The _TCC Series Thread

Post by go_Rubens »

mediocre wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:So really I think it's just going to be the same team with a different name and a few different backers, but still!

Actually, Onyx has been around since 1999, branded as Arena. So basically, this 'new' Onyx is actually the original Onyx and Arena was the team with the different name. :)

Yes that's what I assumed, because both were owned by Mike Earle correct? But this revival of the Onyx name coincides with a partnership between Earle and Arlington Industries Group which wasn't the case when the Arena name was being used, at least that's how I understand it.

Correct, they're only now called Onyx, until now it was Arena. Technically, Earle just bought his old equipment which has been sold to a Chinese company in between. All a bit messy, but it's still Onyx. :P[/quote]

I will day this now, I don't care if there is a bit of legal things involved. Onyx is Onyx, and nothing else.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Hopefully this Onyx won't be hampered by mismanagement and dodgy investment. Mike Earle seems to know what he is doing though, unlike almost everyone else involved with the original team.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A few bits of BTCC news.

Firstly, Sam Tordoff is confirmed for another year at MG.

Secondly, Rob Austin's got himself a new sponsor, in the form of Exocet. This may mean Jake Hill gets the second Audi for the year.

Simon Belcher has apparently unveiled his Toyota at the Autosport International Show this morning, and there should be some news regarding Dan Welch's plans for the year later today.

And there's rumours that there will be a third Audi on the grid, for Robb Holland/Rotek.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yep, Ollie Jackson will drive a second Welch Proton.

Exocet are only sponsoring one car though in a similar deal I think to what Wix had last year so whilst there will be a second car, I don't know how comfortable the finances are for it, which may influence driver selection.

I didn't see any pictures of Belcher's Toyota on Twitter for the whole day, has anyone seen it?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

There are some pictures on the (all new, though not entirely working quite correctly yet) BTCC website.

My other half recently started working at the NEC so I'm hoping she can manage to sneak in tomorrow and maybe get some pictures of the BTCC cars.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Barbazza wrote:There are some pictures on the (all new, though not entirely working quite correctly yet) BTCC website.

My other half recently started working at the NEC so I'm hoping she can manage to sneak in tomorrow and maybe get some pictures of the BTCC cars.

I could try to get you some when I go up to Autosport International on Saturday if you wanted me to.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Samster

Post by Samster »

Well despite TOCA claiming that no new teams received any TBLs, Rotek Racing still reckon they will be racing this season. Looks like just the one Audi S3 for Robb Holland and they have even released a preliminary livery. Looks like they will run the saloon version. I wonder if they leased a TBL from Gilham who other than testing Newsham and Turkington have been surprisingly quiet over the off season.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

Yes, from reading between the lines I had assumed that Rotek had purchased one of Gilham's entries, hence why the "no new teams" information is still technically accurate. This also explains why Simon Belcher has an entry, as his team is linked-up with an existing entrant.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I got Rob Austin's autograph at the Autosport International today and I was so pleased. It turned out that he was up until 5:30AM this morning in the bar at the Hilton on the Jaegerbombs :lol: 4 hours later, he have me his autograph! What a legend :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

He's an absolute gent, I spoke with him when he was with Jordan, Neal and Shedden in the autograph session, he really seemed relieved that everything has worked out for RAR for 2014. Top bloke that deserves more than what he gets.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Come on be honest did anyone cry when Austin won in Rockingham last year?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The 4th profile on the first row, next to Rob Austin. Alan Gow, what are you doing. Alan Gow, STAHP. :|

So it looks like he did indeed manage to get a TBL. And this season was shaping up so well. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Just seen this, a trailer for a new documentary called "Touring Car Legends", showing on ITV4 on Wednesday 5th February at 8pm.

http://youtu.be/fxgDpnD_PdM
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

madmark1974 wrote:Just seen this, a trailer for a new documentary called "Touring Car Legends", showing on ITV4 on Wednesday 5th February at 8pm.

This looks really good! I'm definitely recording this one. Good find madmark1974!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Faustus wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:Just seen this, a trailer for a new documentary called "Touring Car Legends", showing on ITV4 on Wednesday 5th February at 8pm.

This looks really good! I'm definitely recording this one. Good find madmark1974!

The official site now has a News item about it too ...

http://www.btcc.net/2014/01/21/touring-car-legends-documentary-comes-to-itv4-this-february/
Samster

Post by Samster »

Finally some TGR news. Jack Goff has secured a second season in one of the Insignias.

http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/btcc/goff-se ... ce-racing/
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAzdUy-G77I&feature=youtu.be

How the hell has Warren Scott managed to do what he's done? :shock: :mrgreen:
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

This season is shaping up nicely, particularly as rumours are linking Fabrizio Giovanardi to the now-vacant seat at Motorbase.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

midgrid wrote:This season is shaping up nicely, particularly as rumours are linking Fabrizio Giovanardi to the now-vacant seat at Motorbase.

No way?! That would be totally epic
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Samster

Post by Samster »

Bugger me that's alot of news to take in! :shock:

So BMR has completely taken over Tony Gilham's barmy army and instead is now Warren Scott's barmy army. And somehow they have not only nabbed Aron Smith from Motorbase but have brought back Alain Menu for his first full BTCC season since 2000. From what I gather, Menu and Smith will be in the Passats while Scott and Jack Goff will be in the Insignias. Just when I thought 2014 couldn't look any better and we still have over two months to wait.

So I make that just 4 TBLs left unaccounted for, three of which are presumably WSR's which would leave just one which is either for Lea Wood or 'shudders' Chris James.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Yes, Alain Menu!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

midgrid wrote:This season is shaping up nicely, particularly as rumours are linking Fabrizio Giovanardi to the now-vacant seat at Motorbase.

That would be BRILLIANT, not least because he would eat Plato alive (again)
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Holy cack, Menu and Giovanardi in the sport again would be properly cracking! :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
RonDenisDeletraz

BMR Racing expanding, this has the potential to either be very interesting and good or backfire badly. Lets just hope it's not the latter as l would love to see how the team (especially Menu) does.

And Giovanardi has been rumoured to return for years now, I'm not holding my breath.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:And Giovanardi has been rumoured to return for years now, I'm not holding my breath.

I still remember how ridiculous it was when he was last in BTCC. It was the start of the 2010 season. Triple 8 had a new title sponsor, Uniq, with whose sponsorship money they were able to sign up Giovarnardi in a late deal. The first round was at Thruxton, and Fabrizio won the first two races and 5th in the third.

The result? Fabrizio got fired. Why? Because Triple 8 lost their title sponsor! Why? Because after that one round, there was such demand for Uniq's products, they could not keep up with the new demand! And we haven't seen Fabrizio return to the BTCC since... Because he's just that good!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

THE RUMOURS WERE TRUE! :shock:

http://www.btcc.net/2014/02/04/airwaves-racing-confirms-two-time-btcc-champion-fabrizio-giovanardi/

Yes that's right people, Giovanardi is back in BTCC with Airwaves! 2014 is going to be a f***ing awesome year!!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Good word, six, maybe seven champions on the grid, all of the young drivers that have come through the ranks in the last few seasons, and no Andy Neate. This season's gonna be mega. :mrgreen:

I do hope TOC gets a seat, there doesn't seem to be many, if any rumours connecting him with the remaining seats on the grid. :|
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

East Londoner wrote:Good word, six, maybe seven champions on the grid, all of the young drivers that have come through the ranks in the last few seasons, and no Andy Neate. This season's gonna be mega. :mrgreen:

I do hope TOC gets a seat, there doesn't seem to be many, if any rumours connecting him with the remaining seats on the grid. :|

I reckon the BTCC will be better and more entertaining than F1 this year. :D
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Samster

Post by Samster »

I do hope we're not hyping this season up too much. It's great that we could have as many as seven champions but one driver could still end up running away with it. Surprised Mat Jackson hasn't been confirmed yet.
RonDenisDeletraz

HE'S BACK :D

Lets just say I'm delighted to be proven wrong here.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

More big BTCC news coming up tomorrow, as West Surrey are announcing their 2014 line-up. I reckon Turkington and Collard will probably still be there, the big question is who gets the third car. Stephen Jelley and Alex MacDowall have apparently tested during the winter, so they could be in with a chance. I'd much rather Jelley got the seat than MacDowall (still can't believe Chevrolet sacked Mat Jackson for this clown in 2010. :| ). At least Jelley showed a massive improvement in form in 2009...then WSR sacked him for Andy Neate. :|
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I might just be trying to find a way to watch WTCC and BTCC. There's been a lot of stuff happening, and after doing further research, my interest for BTCC and WTCC is much higher than before.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

go_Rubens wrote:I might just be trying to find a way to watch WTCC and BTCC. There's been a lot of stuff happening, and after doing further research, my interest for BTCC and WTCC is much higher than before.

I never got myself to watching BTCC, even though it always sounded great (an in fact, sort of bigger than WTCC). But you're doing nothing wrong in watching WTCC. :P
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

East Londoner wrote:More big BTCC news coming up tomorrow, as West Surrey are announcing their 2014 line-up. I reckon Turkington and Collard will probably still be there, the big question is who gets the third car. Stephen Jelley and Alex MacDowall have apparently tested during the winter, so they could be in with a chance. I'd much rather Jelley got the seat than MacDowall (still can't believe Chevrolet sacked Mat Jackson for this clown in 2010. :| ). At least Jelley showed a massive improvement in form in 2009...then WSR sacked him for Andy Neate. :|

We all know why Chevy got rid of Mat Jackson - too much decent competition for the sacred Plato!

I'm not sure that Jelley is that good either though to be honest.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Oh, and having Giovanardi back is obviously great news, though a bit of me is disappointed that it's a rather dull Ford that he'll be racing.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Barbazza wrote:I'm not sure that Jelley is that good either though to be honest.

He's not. I can't fathom why drivers like Jelley, McDowell and Foster keep on getting drives at good teams when there's drivers like TOC, Mat Jackson and Paul O'Neill who are infinitely better and unable to get a full season together :| its not even as if O'Neill would break the bank, salary wise.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Samster

Post by Samster »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Barbazza wrote:I'm not sure that Jelley is that good either though to be honest.

He's not. I can't fathom why drivers like Jelley, McDowell and Foster keep on getting drives at good teams when there's drivers like TOC, Mat Jackson and Paul O'Neill who are infinitely better and unable to get a full season together :| its not even as if O'Neill would break the bank, salary wise.

Of those drivers, TOC constantly keeps ditching teams for no apparent reason, in fact he had a three year contract with TGR before he walked out on them, Mat Jackson hasn't even had any trouble with drives and Paul O'Neill is one of those drivers than people overrate just based on the fact he's not well funded (he's second rate at best). Besides those first two will probably remain with Motorbase.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Wrathall's a bathplugging tool. He's just gone and flushed any chance of a racing career down the toilet. No sympathy for people like him.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

After all of the hype, WSR announce an unchanged line-up. A bit anti-climatic, but at least Turkington's still on the grid.