2014 launch thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Eifelland

Re: 2014 launch thread

Post by Eifelland »

Anyone else noticed that the front wing of the Lotus is carrying the insignia of the Intergalactic Empire from Star Wars?
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The McLaren nose isn't bad in of itself, but the front wing pylons being placed below and on each side.....um....complete "the package" if you know what I mean?

That Lotus though, oh my. That car is stunning. Oh course being the only person on earth who liked the walrus nose, I'm biased.
Last edited by Wallio on 24 Jan 2014, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:In other news, Formula 1 cars to become a phallic symbol.

Doesnt look too bad to me.

-*:-
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

That Lotus appears to be a photoshop, as one of the *ahem* 'flaps' is longer than the other one.

But I suppose if a Lotus and a McLaren crash head on, you'll end up with a GP2 car in 9 months.
TheAmazingKazoo

Post by TheAmazingKazoo »

I really hope RedBull launch with Vettel's finger as the nose. :)
Minardi Man

Post by Minardi Man »

dragonsteincole wrote:That Lotus appears to be a photoshop, as one of the *ahem* 'flaps' is longer than the other one.

But I suppose if a Lotus and a McLaren crash head on, you'll end up with a GP2 car in 9 months.

They probably ran out of money to finish it off.

Still, I want to have babies with that Lotus, from that angle at least it looks so awesome.
That Mclaren however, oh god, I think I threw up.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Ataxia wrote:New lid for Mr. Rosberg:

It looks like he made it himself. At least we'll be able to tell him apart from LH this year.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Jocke1 wrote:Image

I'm not too conservative about the shape of Formula 1 cars, I like a bit of change. Aesthetically, I think this looks immense.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I like the McLaren's looks actually. More than most on here. Enoch pointed out that the nose is becoming narrower as you go from the cockpit to the nose, but then the front wing mounts flare out. Love it, quite honestly.

As for colors, why couldn't they just do this?

That color on a McLaren is what a McLaren should look like.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Well, I'm with almost everyone else, hate that McLaren and love that Lotus. I really like the Lotus' livery too.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

I don't see Coca-Cola sponsorship on the car... what happened?

Edit: Taki is at it again... :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I don't know about that Taki inoue pic there...

For one, it's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

fjackdaw wrote:Aesthetically, I think the McLaren looks immense.

Me too. Just ike the stepped nose - we will forget it once the cars are on track ..... next week!

DG
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

go_Rubens wrote:I like the McLaren's looks actually. More than most on here. Enoch pointed out that the nose is becoming narrower as you go from the cockpit to the nose, but then the front wing mounts flare out. Love it, quite honestly.

Because that shade of orange is too light and garish and horrible :lol:

If you're going to do orange, it has to be Arrows-esque bright luminous orange! :P
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I like the McLaren's looks actually. More than most on here. Enoch pointed out that the nose is becoming narrower as you go from the cockpit to the nose, but then the front wing mounts flare out. Love it, quite honestly.

Because that shade of orange is too light and garish and horrible :lol:

If you're going to do orange, it has to be Arrows-esque bright luminous orange! :P

I was partially talking about the company heritage as well. But yeah, I do see how the orange can be quite disgusting on the eyes now.

Alternatively, I'd like to see orange on an F1 car in a similar livery to Rob Lomas Racing's LGPS car ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

solarcold

Post by solarcold »

It's... ASSYMETRICAL. Why!
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Shizuka wrote:

From the top down view you can see the Coca-Cola Burn sponsorship remains.

I actually like the look of the Lotus, I don't know what it is but I like it more than the others so far.
Message me on Discord.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Shadaza wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

I actually like the look of the Lotus, I don't know what it is but I like it more than the others so far.

It's a good livery, but it's not as good as the Force India in my eyes.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Looking at that top down view from Lotus, it crossed my mind that, if this year's Lotus and this year's McLaren mate together... Erm, both cars crash faced one against other in some weird accident we might have cute little LotLarens or McLotuses in 2015.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DanielPT wrote:Looking at that top down view from Lotus, it crossed my mind that, if this year's Lotus and this year's McLaren mate together... Erm, both cars crash faced one against other in some weird accident we might have cute little LotLarens or McLotuses in 2015.

Thanks to new technology, cars can mate? I'd have never imagined...

;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Might as well throw my opinion behind these designs today:

I like the McLaren design quite a bit. It's 'grown' on me. Sorry, couldn't resist that joke. But as Enoch pointed out, if you look at it from cockpit-down, it follows the lines of the car so it's not that bad. As for the lotus design, that should be illegal to have a nose that ghastly. And the livery is nothing special, looks like last years colour scheme...

So far:

Best-looking front-wing design to McLaren
Best-looking livery to Force India
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Shadaza wrote:From the top down view you can see the Coca-Cola Burn sponsorship remains.

Indeed, but it looks... less to me than last year. 2013 had Burn on the front wing, for example.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

go_Rubens wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Looking at that top down view from Lotus, it crossed my mind that, if this year's Lotus and this year's McLaren mate together... Erm, both cars crash faced one against other in some weird accident we might have cute little LotLarens or McLotuses in 2015.

Thanks to new technology, cars can mate? I'd have never imagined...

;)

It is a new thing. The poor fellas only this year were given the correct parts in order to do it. It's the logical evolution following decades of going over another cars without practical results. Problem? The design fitted those parts in a way that it will hard to do it correctly. But it is not impossible! :P
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Am I the only one who thinks that the Mclaren's livery right now is just for testing or until Mclaren finds anymore sponsors?

I say this because the list of sponsors on the car's nose in both the new Mclaren and the mid-2000s orange ones are almost the same word-for-word:

Perhaps this livery is just a lay over until Mclaren can secure sponsorship deals for the season?

And personally I think the MP4-29 is a better Mercedes Livery than Mercedes GP's own livery right now :lol:
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Seeing these latest two launches, I can only say...

Come back, Williams FW26, all is forgiven.

Almost.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Petition McLaren to put "This is a COOL SPOT" on the rear wing end plates.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The Lotus is asymmetrical, so that the longer tip is considered the main front crash structure, and the shorter tip is further back so it isn't considered to be part of the crash structure. It's a clever, if slightly ugly way to get around the rules.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Could it be, that Lotus is just trolling?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The McLaren livery is a temporary one, only for testing. Expect it to be different in Australia, although personally I like the silver and black. And I think the sleek way in which they've incorporated the front wing supports into the nose is very nice. It's a shame the nose has to end the way it does, if it could be wider and thinner like that concept drawing that went round a while ago I'd be an even bigger fan.

As for the Lotus, it's definitely different and an interesting idea. Not entirely sure about it though.

As with all things in F1 though, most of these designs are going to be quite different come Australia and I'll bet that by the end of the year, most teams will have reverted to the same "optimal" design, whatever that turns out to be.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

dragonsteincole wrote:That Lotus appears to be a photoshop, as one of the *ahem* 'flaps' is longer than the other one.

On the contrary, as andrew2209 rightly points out the asymmetry of Lotus's design is intentional - the longer tip forms the bulk of the main crash structure, with the secondary extension effectively being used for aero purposes only. The regulations have a restriction on the cross sectional area of any section 50mm behind the tip of the nosecone, so the second extension has to be at least 51mm shorter in order for Lotus's design to work, hence the asymmetry.

Shadaza wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

I'd have to say that, if Lotus's renders are indeed accurate, then the rear bodywork looks to be more tightly and elegantly packaged than McLaren's car does, which does seem to help with the aesthetics of the rear end of their car.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Hideous helmet designs, hideous car designs, hideous liveries. I was going to try and wangle Sky F1 on the cheap, but this collection has put me right off!

But if someone really DOES end up with a Footwork Porsche-alike, they will have my undying support (*)

(*) Disclaimer : Unless it's Sauber, in which case ONE of their drivers will have my undying support.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Rusujuur wrote:Could it be, that Lotus is just trolling?

http://youtu.be/bW7Op86ox9g

go_Rubens wrote:Thanks to new technology, cars can mate? I'd have never imagined...

Old school knew how, as well.

pasta_maldonado wrote:If you're going to do orange, it has to be Arrows-esque bright luminous orange!

The Orange Arrowses between 99-02 are my favorites.
But Jimmy Vasser's Visteon Reynard / Toyota in '01 was great, too:
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Thanks to new technology, cars can mate? I'd have never imagined...

Old school knew how, as well.

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWgnYJvW_U

Here we see a failed mating attempt. Sadly, it is unlikely this Minardi will survive the winter.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Mercedes tends to get quite "keen" in Abu Dhabi. Maybe it's the heat...

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

dragonsteincole wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWgnYJvW_U

Here we see a failed mating attempt. Sadly, it is unlikely this Minardi will survive the winter.

I like the English in the description.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Probably my OCD kicking in here, but the unevenness of the lotus' new nose bothers me slightly....
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Ataxia wrote:New lid for Mr. Rosberg:

Decidedly vulgar.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I just don't like how that Mclaren looks...for completely different reasons.

Sure,it's....pointy nose looks godawful,but I cannot help noticing that the car has odd....dimensions. The nose seems to be way,way too long,pointy bit or not, and the side pods appear,for me, to be too wide ,too short and too far back on the car. Of course, that's just looking from the front view only, so maybe it's different side on. I don't mind the chrome all over the car, I think it looks better with it than plain orange.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!