2014 turbo engines

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: 2014 turbo engines

Post by mario »

And already we seem to be getting our first technical argument about the design of the new engines - AMuS is reporting that Mercedes and Renault are unhappy about Ferrari's turbocharger housing.
The argument turns on a clause which specifies that, in case a turbine wheel fails, that there must be some sort of means of preventing the debris from exiting the car. Mercedes and Renault have both integrated a ballistic covering into the turbine housing but Ferrari have made no such effort, with the latter arguing that it is the responsibility of the individual teams to provide that part rather than the engine supplier.

Because Mercedes and Renault have included their shield in the turbine housing, it therefore counts as a homologated part and development will therefore be restricted after the 28th Feb. Ferrari, although at an initial slight disadvantage - because their shield isn't a homologated part, its weight would have to be added to the minimum weight - in theory have complete freedom to redesign the ballistic shielding as it is not a homologated part. http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/ ... r-not.html
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

The Ferrari engine I heard today sounded similar to the one in the video posted by Aerospeed a couple of months ago. I can't be sure that they are the same engine, though.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Am I the only one who thinks the turbo engines actually sound better than the high-pitched wailing V8s?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Waris wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the turbo engines actually sound better than the high-pitched wailing V8s?

I quite like the sound of these turbo charged engines so you are not alone on that!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I read somewhere before the season that the new turbo engines are likely to be quieter, with some even suggesting you won't need earplugs at the track.

Can anyone verify if that's the case?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

AustralianStig wrote:I read somewhere before the season that the new turbo engines are likely to be quieter, with some even suggesting you won't need earplugs at the track.

Can anyone verify if that's the case?

Ted Kravitz wasn't wearing any ear protection when stood in the pit entry as the Ferrari and a couple of others went past.

DG
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AustralianStig wrote:I read somewhere before the season that the new turbo engines are likely to be quieter, with some even suggesting you won't need earplugs at the track.

Earplugs? We don't need no stinking earplugs!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Waris wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the turbo engines actually sound better than the high-pitched wailing V8s?

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would prefer the ear-raping V8s.
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

These turbos have a far superior sound to the V8's.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Benetton wrote:These turbos have a far superior sound to the V8's.

So, so yes to this. The V8s sounded like hornets. At least these "power units" don't sound like an insect.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

'Power Units'. bathplug sake people, they're ENGINES!! Lovely, burbling turbo engines that make the V8's sound pathetic and girly with their wheeeeee and their neeeeeeeowwwww.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

AdrianSutil wrote:'Power Units'. bathplug sake people, they're ENGINES!! Lovely, burbling turbo engines that make the V8's sound pathetic and girly with their wheeeeee and their neeeeeeeowwwww.

Well, I have an opposition to using "power unit" as with this year's engines having ERS systems, which are really electronics and hydraulics, I don't technically consider them as part of the engine, and the engine therefore a "power unit." If I am mistaken, feel free to correct me, but I won't refer to the engines as "power units" very often. Because now that I think of it, it's stupid.

But yes, I agree that these new V6 turbo engines sound much better than the V8s. As I said, I don't like the sound of hornets.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Samster wrote:

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would prefer the ear-raping V8s.

I did, for what its worth. The V6s don't sound bad, its just the V8s sounded better. And the V10s were the best, but that's neither here nor there.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:
Samster wrote:

I did, for what its worth. The V6s don't sound bad, its just the V8s sounded better. And the V10s were the best, but that's neither here nor there.

I see your V10s and raise you the Ferrari V12 :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:

Ok, I withdraw my previous statement :P . I dunno, I like screamers, like the BRM V16!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Still catching up on the testing reports, so can't yet comment on the sound properly.

On an unrelated note, these new engines will almost certainly be less reliable yes? I've been pondering, won't this either make the racing infinitely better, as we'll be introducing that long lost lack of reliability that made races much less predictable, OR, will it decrease the quality if drivers are desperately trying to preserve one of the 5 engine allowances for the year? Hmm...
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Ok, I withdraw my previous statement :P . I dunno, I like screamers, like the BRM V16!

My personal preference is the Matra V12 here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9yhbiPC65U

Now that's a screamer :P
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
Samster wrote:

It would seem that, although Bernie seems to believe that the fans are being put off by the new engine sounds, the initial response to the sound of the new engines amongst the fan base has been more positive than negative. We'll see what they sound like when the teams start pushing the cars harder in the next test sessions, but in some ways I also kind of prefer the new engine note.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Controversial Jacques is going to stick his neck on the line here and say the best engine noise from F1 - this year or last - is Bernd Mayländer's Mercedes SLS.

That said, I'd quite like top be able to go to the Silverstone test again this year - if they'll let us - and find out what the turbos are like up close and personal.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I'll be able to hear the turbos up close and personal - during the Canadian GP in June!!!!! :D Just received word today. My dad and I are going for the full weekend, near turns 8 and 9.

I can't wait!!!!! :D
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The V6 turbo aren't bad but for me, nothing can beat a mid-noughties V10 fly-by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT36kC2pwAc

Apart from maybe this brutal engine sound from GT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJdGRZpWwQ
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Does anyone know the last time we had just 3 different engine manufacturers in F1? The F1Rejects authors have often said how there are fewer and fewer variables in F1 nowadays and you have to consider that a few years ago we had not just the current companies (Renault, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari) but also Honda, Cosworth, BMW and Toyota.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
girry

Post by girry »

Must have been mid-70's with the all-conquering DFV being the engine for all teams bar those who made them themselves (Ferrari, BRM, Matra)?
when you're dead people start listening
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

If we don't count BRM's single entry, then 1976: Ferrari, Ford DFV and... Brabham's Alfa Romeo!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
mario

Post by mario »

giraurd wrote:Must have been mid-70's with the all-conquering DFV being the engine for all teams bar those who made them themselves (Ferrari, BRM, Matra)?

1974 would appear to be your best bet, as the only teams that did not use a Cosworth DFV were the Ferrari and BRM outfits, both of whom used their own in house V12's. As Shizuka rightly points out, 1976 is effectively as close as the 1974 season was given that the Stanley-BRM team only participated in a single round.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Shizuka wrote:If we don't count BRM's single entry, then 1976: Ferrari, Ford DFV and... Brabham's Alfa Romeo!

Matra participated in 1976 too, so that's still 4,5. So i think we'll have to go back to 1975, with just Cosworth, Ferrari and BRM (altough Matra did a few races with Shadow)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mario

Post by mario »

Whilst Renault have been playing down some of the rumours that they are not entirely over their problems, it would appear that Taffin, the man responsible for Renault Sport's F1 program, is suggesting that Renault may need to ask the FIA for permission to make mid season changes for reliability purposes after the homologation date of the 28th Feb (the regulations do have a clause that allows limited modifications to be made after the end of the month for reliability, safety or cost savings). http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112519
Although Renault is confident it has made major strides with its engine since the Jerez test, head of track operations Remi Taffin accepts that it is possible it could need to make such an application.

Given the extent of the engine change this year, it is possible all three engine manufacturers will have to make such requests.

"If we have any reliability issues it's more difficult after you have applied for an engine for the year to make some changes," said Taffin.

"But there is still a 'fair and equitable' rule that exists that allows us to change any parts if we have any reliability problems, which we did in the past and I think we will still do it.

"Having said that, we are not saying we have massive issues on reliability because we have done some good tests on the dynos and we know that each part is working fine, we have to make it work together."
Divina_Galica

Post by Divina_Galica »

watka wrote:The V6 turbo aren't bad but for me, nothing can beat a mid-noughties V10 fly-by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT36kC2pwAc

Hairs on back of neck stand up....can't say that about the V6 turbos...
Boomstick

Post by Boomstick »

Divina_Galica wrote:
watka wrote:The V6 turbo aren't bad but for me, nothing can beat a mid-noughties V10 fly-by: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT36kC2pwAc

Hairs on back of neck stand up....can't say that about the V6 turbos...

...nope this is better than those "wanna be" V10's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVnEJx6ujo

But really those new engines are not too bad in the flesh....just don't be on a low speed corner, I was at turn 3 in Melbourne this year....going round to the other side of the track....ah now we are talking!