Haas F1 Team Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: A 12th team for 2015/16

Post by Backmarker »

mario wrote:Does Kolles have the facilities to build a chassis in house? When he was racing ex-works Audi R10's in sportscar racing a few years ago, Dallara were the ones who built the chassis, so that would have been out of house (although he had to create his own electronics systems - according to him, Audi deliberately refused to sell him the electrical systems, and he claims that Dr Baretzky told him " we can't have a customer beating the works team").
As for his work with HRT, again, not a single HRT chassis was made by Kolles (after they broke away from Dallara, their next chassis was made in Germany by an independent privateer), so I can't recall of Kolles actually manufacturing a chassis in house in recent years.

Of course, that in itself need not be a hindrance if the work can be outsourced (which is what Haas is planning to do). Kolles certainly has prior experience in F1 and has a long track record in motorsport, but there is still a slight doubt at the back of my mind. Equally, there is the possibility that some of the players in the sport might not want to see him there again - particularly Mercedes, since I imagine that Wolff won't be too keen to see somebody who tried to blackmail him mixing in the same circles (speaking of which, the blackmail accusations could give the FIA a pretext to turn his application down on the grounds that he is not a fit and
proper person to run an F1 team).

Yes, you're right actually. After Dallara the HRT chassis were fabricated by SCE Solutions, a Munich-based company run by Stéphane Chosse (ex-Ligier, Sauber and Toyota). Kolles will possibly call on Stéphane Chosse again, as ADESS (another of Chosse's companies - quite why he needs two engineering companies I'm not sure) made the T128 LMP2 chassis for Kodewa (though there were wranglings over payment), and ADESS suspiciously developed a 2014-spec F1 chassis in 2013 for an unknown customer...
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Id like to see what Audi could do in F1, they have pretty much dominated Le Mans, so would be interesting to see them in F1.
mario

Post by mario »

Basetornado wrote:Id like to see what Audi could do in F1, they have pretty much dominated Le Mans, so would be interesting to see them in F1.

VW were present during the initial negotiations over the turbo engines - with the original proposal for a four cylinder engine mainly made as an attempt to lure them into the sport, according to Newey - but they have made it clear that they don't want any involvement in F1.

They claim that the developments in F1 do not allow sufficient trickle down technology to road cars, though some might also cynically suggest that the other reason is because Audi would not longer have the massive superiority in spending that has allowed them to dominate at Le Mans (bear in mind that the privateer LMP1 teams operate on about one twentieth of the budget Audi has, and there have been rumours that Toyota only has about a quarter of the budget of Audi (which it has to use to run both the works team and the customer engine manufacturing division), hence the use of an engine derived from their road car division and originally tuned for the GT500 series).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

What is it about VW and that stupid "World Engine". They tried to force it down both F1 and Indycar's throats despite no one else wanting it, but when they can run one in WEC, they don't.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:What is it about VW and that stupid "World Engine". They tried to force it down both F1 and Indycar's throats despite no one else wanting it, but when they can run one in WEC, they don't.

In the case of the WEC, part of the reason for that would be the fact that the ACO intentionally made diesel engines more competitive than petrol engines for an extended period of time (which was why Peugeot also went for a diesel engine - and, if you listen to Toyota's arguments, the rules are still biased in favour of diesel engines). Audi have poured a lot of money into their diesel engines by now, so having to retool and redesign their car for a new engine would be rather costly and time consuming.

Mind you, it could be argued that VW are moving towards running an engine that is quite similar in format to the "World Engine" in the WEC. Porsche's engine is confirmed to be a 2.0 litre turbocharged four cylinder unit, with speculation that Porsche have adopted a straight four configuration. That configuration already sounds rather similar to the "World Engine" format, so Porsche may be VW's way of promoting their "World Engine" via the WEC after all.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Backmarker wrote:and ADESS suspiciously developed a 2014-spec F1 chassis in 2013 for an unknown customer...

LMP1, on F1 I think :)
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Today the FIA has not annunced the verdict on 12° and/or 13° team, but has postponed it...it seems that maybe they're waiting for Caterham's future, the malaysian team could be merged with one of the new team in 2015, but by now are only rumors
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Stefan Gp withdrew F1 2015 application

http://f1pulse.com/news/2014032136/stef ... -month-ago
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Well, I'd thought he'd go the distance. So that's three times Stefan didn't enter in F1...
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

f1andrea wrote:Stefan Gp withdrew F1 2015 application

That doesn't surprise me quite honestly. I still don't think they'll ever get in, no matter how much I'd like to see it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Aerospeed wrote:Well, I'd thought he'd go the distance. So that's three times Stefan didn't enter in F1...

Three? I count at least four. 1997, 1998, 2010 and now 2015. Wasn't he trying to join in 2011 as well?
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Walsh_e

Post by Walsh_e »

This long drawn out process makes me miss the old days, you pay your entry fee then turn up with whatever you have managed to cobble together, truly great times!
I'm proud to live in the best hemisphere, the British hemisphere!

"So it was Lauda Vs de Cesaris, de Cesaris had the advantage of youth, Lauda had the advantage of experience, some said he had the advantage of brains" - Clive James
Waris

Post by Waris »

*Sigh* Let's wait until the next time then... I hope it will happen one day, because I would like to see that in my lifetime (I think most of us here would).
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:

*Sigh* Let's wait until the next time then... I hope it will happen one day, because I would like to see that in my lifetime (I think most of us here would).

Yeah, it would be a catastrophe if they end up being ineligible for a full, official reject profile, considering how many headlines and debate they've generated...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Walsh_e wrote:This long drawn out process makes me miss the old days, you pay your entry fee then turn up with whatever you have managed to cobble together, truly great times!

you're right. The deadline was 28 February, but FIA postponed the announcement...I think that at the end FIA will not select a team, even if some rumors told about two teams to be selected. Anyway, seems to remain only two teams now: Haas Racing and Colin Kolles team. I really hope to see both in 2015, but it's very difficult.
mario

Post by mario »

f1andrea wrote:
Walsh_e wrote:This long drawn out process makes me miss the old days, you pay your entry fee then turn up with whatever you have managed to cobble together, truly great times!

you're right. The deadline was 28 February, but FIA postponed the announcement...I think that at the end FIA will not select a team, even if some rumors told about two teams to be selected. Anyway, seems to remain only two teams now: Haas Racing and Colin Kolles team. I really hope to see both in 2015, but it's very difficult.

Even then there were quite a few teams that promised much but soon vanished without trace, so Stefan is certainly upholding that tradition if nothing else...

I'm also starting to wonder, like yourself, if the FIA is going to accept either of the two entries that have been put forward in the end - the very fact that the FIA has postponed the decision suggests that there is some sort of uncertainty that is preventing the deal from being sealed at this point in time.

That said, I imagine that Bernie would be keen to see Haas's bid being accepted given that he is pushing for an aggressive expansion of F1 within the US, and it is entirely plausible that Haas would help raise the profile of F1 within the US if it was admitted. It could also play to Luca's previously expressed desire of a Ferrari backed team based within the US - although Haas would use their own chassis, the rumoured engine deal with Ferrari would at least give them some of the publicity they seek. There will probably be a fair amount of political pressure for the deal with Haas to go through as a result of that.
Waris

Post by Waris »

So I've been thinking and here's a suggestion (and I'm actually somewhat serious, so bear with me): Stefan, for all their attempts at entering F1, to the best of my recollection haven't ever actually ran in any notable sort of racing series. So now that their entry bid is again rejected, why don't they try to join Auto GP? I doubt Enzo Coloni would care much about their shaky reputation, and if they then prove that they can decently run a team, they could then bid to join GP2 for the next three-year cycle (which should start in 2017, IIRC). That should lend them some credibility if they decide to enter F1 in 2020, or possibly earlier if they manage to sell off their GP2 team.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Waris wrote:So I've been thinking and here's a suggestion (and I'm actually somewhat serious, so bear with me): Stefan, for all their attempts at entering F1, to the best of my recollection haven't ever actually ran in any notable sort of racing series. So now that their entry bid is again rejected, why don't they try to join Auto GP? I doubt Enzo Coloni would care much about their shaky reputation, and if they then prove that they can decently run a team, they could then bid to join GP2 for the next three-year cycle (which should start in 2017, IIRC). That should lend them some credibility if they decide to enter F1 in 2020, or possibly earlier if they manage to sell off their GP2 team.

Hmmm, that is an interesting post. Even better, why don't they start off with this young up-start team?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:*Sigh* Let's wait until the next time then... I hope it will happen one day, because I would like to see that in my lifetime (I think most of us here would).

Yeah, it would be a catastrophe if they end up being ineligible for a full, official reject profile, considering how many headlines and debate they've generated...

And worse yet, that's actually highly likely for a Stefan GP team to do is to end up like Onyx if not a bit better before it runs out of Serbian dinars.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Waris

Post by Waris »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Waris wrote:*Sigh* Let's wait until the next time then... I hope it will happen one day, because I would like to see that in my lifetime (I think most of us here would).

And worse yet, that's actually highly likely for a Stefan GP team to do is to end up like Onyx if not a bit better before it runs out of Serbian dinars.

May I remind you that Onyx actually had a podium finish. I doubt Stefan could muster that. :P
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 1-in-2015/

According to Bernie, Haas will get the nod......

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Waris wrote:May I remind you that Onyx actually had a podium finish. I doubt Stefan could muster that. :P

However, one must note how many DNQs Onyx had. Stefan wouldn't have to worry about that.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

2015 is too soon for a team to prepare to debut in F1. Bernie is commiting the same mistake that he did in 2010. Newman Hass or whataver will be the dead last and will struggle to qualify.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Dj_bereta wrote:2015 is too soon for a team to prepare to debut in F1. Bernie is commiting the same mistake that he did in 2010. Newman Hass or whataver will be the dead last and will struggle to qualify.

I wouldn't say it's that dire given the testing resource that Haas has that few others would have. That is having a wind tunnel fully owned by the team owner. Still, I don't have expectations beyond maybe being alongside of Marussia and Caterham battling for the bottom of the F1 grid. Secondly, Newman Haas isn't the team you are looking at trying to make it into F1, but the Stewart-Haas racing team of NASCAR fame.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dj_bereta wrote:2015 is too soon for a team to prepare to debut in F1. Bernie is commiting the same mistake that he did in 2010. Newman Hass or whataver will be the dead last and will struggle to qualify.

Well, last time the teams were decided in July/August, this time it might be decided in April.

Given the news story of Bernie's approval, Team Haas is probably looking at designing a F1 car right about now.
Trulli bad puns...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Hopefully :D
Just For One Day...
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Sky Sports news reporting that Haas and one unnamed other entry have been approved. Well approved by Bernie at least.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

KOLLES! KOLLES! KOLLES!
*fingers crossed*

This man just makes F1 even more awesome.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

solarcold wrote:KOLLES! KOLLES! KOLLES!
*fingers crossed*

In all seriousness, that man knows how to run a team effectively, if not spectacularly. A Kolles' team is one that is the antithesis of pre-2014 Lotus: spends within its means, hires pay drivers to help its cause and never really punches above its weight but doesn't disgrace itself either. He's more suited to sports cars or lower formulae where results can come from less expenditure but F1 is within his capabilities. They wouldn't give us the most interesting F1 entry (Midland anyone?) but they would contribute to a growing list of reject drivers for sure!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

watka wrote:
*fingers crossed*

In all seriousness, that man knows how to run a team effectively, if not spectacularly. A Kolles' team is one that is the antithesis of pre-2014 Lotus: spends within its means, hires pay drivers to help its cause and never really punches above its weight but doesn't disgrace itself either. He's more suited to sports cars or lower formulae where results can come from less expenditure but F1 is within his capabilities. They wouldn't give us the most interesting F1 entry (Midland anyone?) but they would contribute to a growing list of reject drivers for sure!

The fact that he gave drivers like Christian Klien and Sakon Yamamoto add to his resume of great reject drivers he's employed. He definitely has the reject spirit in him.

As for Haas, I'm wary of having another American F1 team try and get in, I just hope they have their main base in Europe, and not in the heart of NASCAR like USF1 did... Hopefully Windsor and Anderson will be far away from his project as well :)
Trulli bad puns...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aerospeed wrote:As for Haas, I'm wary of having another American F1 team try and get in, I just hope they have their main base in Europe, and not in the heart of NASCAR like USF1 did... Hopefully Windsor and Anderson will be far away from his project as well :)

... uhhh, USF1 was to be based in Spain...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Salamander wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:As for Haas, I'm wary of having another American F1 team try and get in, I just hope they have their main base in Europe, and not in the heart of NASCAR like USF1 did... Hopefully Windsor and Anderson will be far away from his project as well :)

... uhhh, USF1 was to be based in Spain...

That was their secondary location, their main base was in Charlotte. (Or it could be that the wiki page of the team is lying. Who knows.) The point being, they were crazy enough to have two bases is bad enough to begin with :P
Trulli bad puns...
mario

Post by mario »

Aerospeed wrote:
watka wrote:
*fingers crossed*

The fact that he gave drivers like Christian Klien and Sakon Yamamoto add to his resume of great reject drivers he's employed. He definitely has the reject spirit in him.

As for Haas, I'm wary of having another American F1 team try and get in, I just hope they have their main base in Europe, and not in the heart of NASCAR like USF1 did... Hopefully Windsor and Anderson will be far away from his project as well :)

Haas's main facilities are based around the Windshear wind tunnel in the US - although I understand that Haas does have some facilities in Belgium, I would assume that the design work at least is going to be carried out in the US rather than in Europe with the European base being a maintenance facility for the European leg of the season.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Does anyone here know if former American F1 constructors like Eagle, Penske, Haas (the other one), etc. were based in the USA or in Europe?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Waris wrote:Does anyone here know if former American F1 constructors like Eagle, Penske, Haas (the other one), etc. were based in the USA or in Europe?

All 3 in the UK.
Eagle, or rather All American Racers, was based in the UK, but I can't remember where.
Penske was based in Poole, in Dorset.
Haas was based in Colnbrook, in Berkshire.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Faustus wrote:
Waris wrote:Does anyone here know if former American F1 constructors like Eagle, Penske, Haas (the other one), etc. were based in the USA or in Europe?

All 3 in the UK.
Eagle, or rather All American Racers, was based in the UK, but I can't remember where.

All American Racers were in Rye, East Sussex.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Waris

Post by Waris »

I believe the name you're looking for is Anglo American Racers. But thanks.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Waris wrote:I believe the name you're looking for is Anglo American Racers. But thanks.

Depends on the country. Over here is branded his team as All-American (still does, see the Deltawing). Over there, it was Anglo-American.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

I'd prefer Haas over Kolles tbh. I have doubts whether Kolles would keep the intensity and passion going when his team's target would be beating Caterham and Marussia. He's not used to bringing up the rear and there have been a number of successful ladder series owners who couldn't get the job done in the big league hence faded away before time. Meanwhile Haas will still have the NASCAR toys to keep him happy with Kolles going all-in and fight for the scraps at the start. I don't see that last very long.
95 GP / 63 DNF / 5 pts