2014 Pre-season and In-season Testing Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Alextrax52

Re: 2014 Pre-season Test Thread

Post by Alextrax52 »

nome66

Post by nome66 »

now i am intrigued. i wonder what torro rosso's steering wheel screen looks like when it's turned on?
what OS does it run? does it even have an OS? is it wirelessly connected to pitbox/trailer? can the team transmit information to the screen or simply send the driver a text message?
i guess only onboard video will tell... apart from interviews with the driver and team.
another thing, could the team theoretically stick a smartphone that has an antenna that connects directly to the team trailer/pit? i'd imagine a moto X running android 4.4 and loading proprietary team apps or running a proprietary team-specific operating system all together. maybe the internals of a smartphone capable of running said 4.4....wow i should sell these ideas.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

nome66 wrote:now i am intrigued. i wonder what torro rosso's steering wheel screen looks like when it's turned on?
what OS does it run? does it even have an OS? is it wirelessly connected to pitbox/trailer? can the team transmit information to the screen or simply send the driver a text message?
i guess only onboard video will tell... apart from interviews with the driver and team.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 82499&f=12

You'll find a picture of the car on in the pits on that page. It looks like it has two graphics of seperate batteries or something, and it will indicate the driver's speed be the looks of it. The image is not too largely focused onthe steering wheel but just Kvyat sitting in the car in the pits.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

well that completely answers my question....ssss

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

I just can't wait to see drivers playing Angry Birds during safety cars on their fancy new smartwheels.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

AustralianStig wrote:I just can't wait to see drivers playing Angry Birds during safety cars on their fancy new smartwheels.

Sigged :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

the team texts the driver to drive more aggressively, so during the caution, the driver plays flappy bird

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Fire and Ice

Bible
Isaiah 7:14
New International Version
'Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel.'

2nd Chronicles 7:14
New International Version
'if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.'
-*:-
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Fire and Ice

Anyone else notice that the text box of that twitter strategically covers up the nose of the car?
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

wsrgo wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112403?source=mostpopular

Looks like Adrian is whinging again... Quite honestly, I don't see the problem here as long as the cars are tricky to drive.

It does raise a few eyebrows when the cars are pulling through at 1:37 when the track record at Jerez is around 1:21...

That's wrong on both counts. Cars weren't pulling in at 1:37 (Magnussen did a 1:23), and the track record at Jerez, overall (counting test sessions too) as far as I remember, is a 1:17 something.

It's actually a 1:15.629, by one M.Schumacher. That was back in 2004, the year we had the fastest F1 cars ever.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ferrim wrote:It's actually a 1:21.049, by one G.Mazzacane. That was back in 2000, the year Minardi had the fastest F1 car ever.

fixed
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Fire and ice

Although I kinda like it now I'm predicting this will be the years "Leave Me Alone.." etc etc and its constant referencing will begin to annoy me, probably, by Bahrain.
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

CoopsII wrote:Although I kinda like it now I'm predicting this will be the years "Leave Me Alone.." etc etc and its constant referencing will begin to annoy me, probably, by Bahrain.

Does anything not annoy you?
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Samster

Post by Samster »

For god sake, Adrian Sutil should consider himself lucky to even have the opportunity to drive these cars because he sure as hell doesn't deserve to still have a drive in F1 based on his merits.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Samster wrote:For god sake, Adrian Sutil should consider himself lucky to even have the opportunity to drive these cars because he sure as hell doesn't deserve to still have a drive in F1 based on his merits.

He's got what it takes to drive an F1 car. But that's it.

But his attitude is very poor, which makes me question why teams would want to deal with his attitude.

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/4666/0apb.png

Well, that one from Williams kinda ruins the idea of smartwheels.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

SgtPepper wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Although I kinda like it now I'm predicting this will be the years "Leave Me Alone.." etc etc and its constant referencing will begin to annoy me, probably, by Bahrain.

:lol: and touche. Ted Kravitz and a banana should annoy everybody :D
Just For One Day...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

CoopsII wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

:lol: and touche. Ted Kravitz and a banana should annoy everybody :D

It greatly amuses me :D
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

48 hours to go until Bahrain.

I haven't seen this video posted previously:
http://youtu.be/yXATzDBDjgo
:D
And the Oscar goes to ... Pastor Maldonado.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Toro Rosso not happy
Author http://www.scuderiatororosso.com
Date Feb 13, 2014.

There seems to be quite a hullabaloo surrounding the fact that the final two pre-season test sessions are taking place at the Sakhir Circuit in Bahrain. While it's true that in recent years all winter testing has taken place in Europe, going further afield used to be quite commonplace for Formula 1 teams. Not wishing to cast a cloud over the coming tests, which run from 19 to 22 February and again from 27 February to 2 March, the last time some teams tried testing at Sakhir pre-season, back in 2009, the first day was affected by fog and the final two by a terrible sand storm! Let’s hope the eleven teams have better luck next week.

Winter testing in warm climes is not a new idea and back in the Eighties the teams would head for Rio de Janeiro and test there almost until it was time to hold the Brazilian GP as the opening round of the season. Life was simpler then, whereas today, with a 19 race calendar to accommodate, sending everyone off testing to Bahrain is quite a logistical challenge for everyone, especially as there won't be much time in between the end of the final test and the trip down under for the first race in Melbourne.

At Toro Rosso, the planning for the two Bahrain tests is as complex as it would be for a Grand Prix and definitely more difficult to organise than a short hop down to Jerez or Barcelona. We will be sending 25 tonnes of equipment to Sakhir with nearly all of it then moving straight down to Australia, where it will find a further three tonnes of material joining it directly from Italy. The car that will be used over a total of eight days testing in Bahrain, will return to Italy before heading down to the Antipodes.

In the case of a five day gap between two European tests, the bulk of the team personnel would return home to Faenza in between, but with the longer distance involved flying to Manama, the vast majority of our crew will stay out there, but this won’t be a beach holiday by any means, as there is bound to be plenty of work to do in terms of car preparation. The fact the venue remains the same makes life slightly easier as the garage and equipment can all stay as it is.

How do we expect to get on at the tests? Clearly, after the first four days in Jerez, that is a complete mystery. Suffice to say that everyone in Faenza, Bicester and Viry, the latter being home to our Power Unit supplier, has been working flat out. For the first of the two tests in the desert, Daniil Kvyat will drive on the first and third days, with Jean-Eric Vergne at the wheel for days two and four.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

It appears that we'll get to see Caterham's actual 2014 livery tomorrow; there's been a sneak photograph on their Twitter account of their front wing geometry with a white element on it. I've also heard rumours that Williams' definitive livery will be released soon; there's been a lot of people going crazy and coming up with their own possible Photoshops of it, so from my point of view it'll put an end to that. Plenty of F1 fans have gone nuts for the return of Martini...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

As for Martini and Williams, there have been plenty of different takes on what the Williams would look like.

Like this:

Or maybe these:

It would give Williams a fresh new look that in my mind, they've needed since 2008. Well, depending on how much dark blue is kept on the car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Here's a little thing I've put together for the first Bahrain tests; it has all the lineups that have been announced. When Sauber and Williams have released their schedule, I'll add that too.

Last edited by Ataxia on 18 Feb 2014, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Ataxia wrote:Here's a little thing I've put together for the first Bahrain tests; it has all the lineups that have been announced. When Sauber and Williams have released their schedule, I'll add that too.

Nice job! What font did you use? My guess is DIN.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:Here's a little thing I've put together for the first Bahrain tests; it has all the lineups that have been announced. When Sauber and Williams have released their schedule, I'll add that too.

Sauber have apparently released their test schedule (according to F1Fanatic anyway) - apparently Sutil will drive the car on days 1 and 4, with Gutierrez driving on days 2 and 3. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/18/d ... rain-test/
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:

Sauber have apparently released their test schedule (according to F1Fanatic anyway) - apparently Sutil will drive the car on days 1 and 4, with Gutierrez driving on days 2 and 3. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/02/18/d ... rain-test/

Ah, I appear to have missed that, thanks Mario. Updated list now, just waiting on Williams to...well, announce a number things really!
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
mario wrote:

Ah, I appear to have missed that, thanks Mario. Updated list now, just waiting on Williams to...well, announce a number things really!

Williams have already made one announcement that had been whispered in the background - they have struck up a multi-year partnership with Petrobras, due to start in 2015, which will see Petrobras become their fuel and lubricant supplier, although they will stick with Petronas (Mercedes's official partner) for 2014. http://www.f1technical.net/news/19125

I wouldn't be half surprised if the Petrobras deal is partially connected with Massa (in as much as Petrobras might want to be associated with the last Brazilian driver in the sport for marketing within the Brazilian market). In some ways, perhaps the departure of Maldonado isn't such a disaster after all - the recent news seems to suggest that Williams have been able to find new partners to replace PDVSA, the Mercedes engine looks to be a reliable and competitive package and the car seems to have been running fairly reliably.
Massa hasn't looked too bad in testing either, suggesting that perhaps the change in team has rejuvenated him a bit - of course, it is still a long way from the glory days of old, but after the disaster that was 2013, perhaps 2014 will be a year in which they can rebuild and at least put themselves towards the front, rather than the back, of the midfield pack.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

go_Rubens wrote:As for Martini and Williams, there have been plenty of different takes on what the Williams would look like.

Like this:

Okay, in my eyes that is beautiful... even with that black nose.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Three hours gone at Bahrain - and no sight of a Red Bull yet. OTOH, Caterham have been completing the most laps of the Renault teams, although not at a very competitive pace. It's looking like Caterham's extremely big sidepods are paying off in terms of being able to refrigerate the engine and go out. It won't hurt them in the short term, although if they can't push the engine and/or their pace is this bad, it won't make a big difference to their fortunes either.

The Caterham situation shows that Red Bull have problems of their own and, as long as we don't see a remotely competitive time by a Renault engine, they are in big, big trouble... there are too many things to fix, and the Australian GP is only 25 days away now.

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Autosport:
We're two and a half hours into today's Bahrain test. Here's the lap-count so far:

Sutil (Sauber) 30 laps
Hamilton (Mercedes) 23 laps
Frijns (Caterham) 18 laps
Magnussen (McLaren) 14 laps
Hulkenberg (Force India) 14 laps
Alonso (Ferrari) 13 laps
Grosjean (Lotus) 7 laps
Massa (Williams) 3 laps
Bianchi (Marussia) 2 laps

No Red Bull. No Toro Rosso (oil leak).

A bit more info regarding the 30-minute delay this morning:
"The word in the pitlane is that some marshals were not in position at the allotted time. Officials then wanted to check the circuit and work out if any more were missing and if so, how many.
"Team personnel were generally disgruntled about the delay."

Were they playing poker?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Reportedly, Red Bull were seen taking a grinder to the rear of the RB10. If this is true well, let's just say this is gonna be another 4 wasted days for Horner and co...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

East Londoner wrote:Reportedly, Red Bull were seen taking a grinder to the rear of the RB10. If this is true well, let's just say this is gonna be another 4 wasted days for Horner and co...

They've finally set a timed lap, some 4 hours and half in. It is on par with the other Renault teams. This could mean that the engines are still hitting trouble...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DanielPT wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Reportedly, Red Bull were seen taking a grinder to the rear of the RB10. If this is true well, let's just say this is gonna be another 4 wasted days for Horner and co...

They've finally set a timed lap, some 4 hours and half in. It is on par with the other Renault teams. This could mean that the engines are still hitting trouble...

The Renault teams are within a second of each other.

Caterham - 1:44.337
Lotus - 1:44.382
Red Bull - 1:45.095
Toro Rosso - No time

However, here are their gaps behind Hamilton's fastest time so far:

Caterham - +6.429
Lotus - +6.924
Red Bull - +7.187
Toro Rosso - No time

It still looks like issues wasting the time of these teams.

EDIT: Toro Rosso finally gets a timed lap in, only just seconds after that the car stops with a problem :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Red Bull finally getting some laps. Vettel went down to a 1:42, then to a 1:40.224 and apparently he had just set two personal best sectors when his car stopped.

Meanwhile Hulkenberg is top of the leaderboard at the moment, his 1:36.880 already better than last year's fastest lap of the race.

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Ferrim wrote:Red Bull finally getting some laps. Vettel went down to a 1:42, then to a 1:40.224 and apparently he had just set two personal best sectors when his car stopped.

Meanwhile Hulkenberg is top of the leaderboard at the moment, his 1:36.880 already better than last year's fastest lap of the race.

Is this live on Sky?

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

SgtPepper wrote:
Ferrim wrote:Red Bull finally getting some laps. Vettel went down to a 1:42, then to a 1:40.224 and apparently he had just set two personal best sectors when his car stopped.

Is this live on Sky?

I wouldn't know, but Autosport has live commentary here: http://live.autosport.com
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

go_Rubens wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:

Is this live on Sky?

I wouldn't know, but Autosport has live commentary here: http://live.autosport.com

Cool, thanks. I got the Sky stream up but it's just repeating old pieces they did, so I presumed it wasn't.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, that's it for the first day, and Renault teams still seem to have a few issues, but not as much trouble. Talk about the Toro Rosso having the reliability of a Life GP car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Could this be the Williams livery?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Shizuka wrote:Could this be the Williams livery?

I hope not, it's a poor execution of the Martini stripes if it is.